WaterMage Rising

By Lorareedpalmer

When her uncle is murdered by a curse, seventeen-year-old water mage, Selena, must use her skills to solve h... More

Welcome!
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17

Chapter 13

2 0 0
By Lorareedpalmer

"Father." Selena kept her face a composed, expressionless mask, while her mouth went dry and her heart pounded a furious rhythm against her chest. At least with witnesses around, he wouldn't do anything drastic like break her nose again, burn her, or use his belt on her. He cared too much for appearances to leave marks or create a scene in public.

Adam glanced between them and goggled. "Wait...what? He's your father? Oh, he's who you were trying to —"

Selena elbowed him sharply before he could finish that sentence and ignored his grunt of protest. "Let's just say impress with my initiative, shall we? And let's face it, Father. If I hadn't sn — I mean, come — on board, Mom and I would have been reading in the newspaper about how you and this whole ship were lost at sea. You're welcome."

"You may have saved us, girl, but don't think you won't get the reckoning of your life when we get home."

"No, of course not. Heaven forbid I get to make any choices of my own."

If Father had anything else to say, it was cut off by the arrival of a man who stood taller than Father by a head, with slick black hair greying at the temples and a clean-shaven face. His sharp grey eyes studied Selena, appraising. The man radiated power like the sun radiated light and heat.

"Come, now, Cassius, I'd say we all owe a huge debt of gratitude to your daughter. Didn't you tell me she graduated this year? It seems poor form to begrudge her a special trip to celebrate, and given her exemplary actions tonight, she's more than earned it."

Selena bit back a smirk and willed her racing heartbeat to still now that the immediate danger had passed. She hadn't expected this man, whom she recognized as Father's boss, Cunningham, to swoop in and keep her father in check.

"Yes, sir," Father agreed, despite the gruff, begrudging tone in his voice. The back of Father's neck flushed red, a warning tell, but he wouldn't act yet. If Selena played her cards right, he wouldn't hold this trip against her.

"Well, then, let's get back to the festivities. Everyone is safe, the ship is back on course, and the music in the lounge is divine. Miss Mendelson and Mr. McAllister, please join us. The two of you made a fabulous team from what I saw, and I'd like to discuss bringing Miss Mendelson on board our division. Cassius here has been talking about this day so often since he joined us. It only seems right to move forward with an internship leading to a potential job if all goes well, and I suspect that it will."

The three men turned their full attention to her as they waited for her reply. Selena kept herself from swallowing in dread at the last moment. Father knew her tells too well, and she couldn't afford to show weakness. Father's gaze was stern and expectant, a silent demand for her to say yes. Cunningham's gaze was shrewd and greedy like he'd discovered a prized treasure. Adam's gaze was hopeful, all puppy dog eyes complete with a goofy grin at the idea of them working together.

What a headache.

On the one hand, she needed more time to do recon and figure out what in the name of magedom she was getting herself into. On the other hand, joining the team might grant her the access she needed to gather her intel about the Bureau's special project.

Also, even though the Bureau might seem shady at first glance, they might have the best interests of the public at heart and were being framed by some group of radicals who opposed the project. Doubtful, but she had to gather and consider all the evidence before coming to any conclusions.

Selena finally settled on a vague, diplomatic response to buy herself more time to decide. "I welcome the opportunity to learn more."

A subtle nod from her father told her that, as she'd suspected, he approved of the way she avoided appearing overeager. If she wasn't going to say yes outright, he'd take this as the next best response.

Father appeared to relax a bit, the tension in his neck and shoulders easing now that his boss had all but offered her the job. Not only that, Cunningham had condoned her presence on the ship despite Father's concerns about family members tagging along.

Father had spent years mapping out her life. Seeing his plans come close to fruition should have at least mollified him enough to spare her for the rest of the cruise.

Adam linked his arm through hers, and Selena gritted her teeth. In front of Father and Cunningham, she couldn't make a scene and pull away, and judging by the mischievous grin on Adam's face, he knew it and was taking full advantage of that fact.

"Great! Let's dry off and go inside." Adam channeled his fire magic into his kamea, and a warm orange-yellow glow sent waves of warm light rippling over them, drying their hair, skin, and clothes.

Hmm. Knowing a fire mage did have its advantages.

"You can't go to a fancy party dressed like a complete ragamuffin. What were you thinking, turning up in shorts and a t-shirt?" Father's gaze turned sharp as he eyed her wardrobe, no doubt considering the implications of what his coworkers would think of her disheveled state.

"What do you think, I don't know how to turn up to a party? You flatter me, Father, as always. I did change this outfit into a pretty dress, but that magic kind of went by the wayside when I needed it to save the ship. You're alive because of it, and you're complaining about what I'm wearing? Unbelievable."

Cunningham glanced between Selena and her father, an amused smirk playing across his lips. "Ha! Cassius, your daughter is a chip off the old block, for sure. Having both of you around will certainly liven things up at the Bureau. Now, Miss Mendelson, let's fix this wardrobe situation, and tomorrow we'll get you on the Bureau account so you can get yourself some nice things from the shops."

In an instant, his kamea lit with an icy blue light flecked with orange-red, green, and white that poured out toward Selena like a tidal wave of all the elements combined. It wrapped itself around her, a rippling whirlpool of power unlike any Selena had ever felt. This man had strong magic. It tugged at her clothing, forcing rather than coaxing a change, but when it had finished and faded away, Selena gaped at the ice-blue ballgown her outfit had become. It glittered in layers of tulle covered in crystals. The bodice was tight yet modest, with sequined spaghetti straps. Strappy high heels pinched her toes, and she vowed to lose them at the earliest opportunity. With a floor-length gown, no one would know or care if she went barefoot or wore flats.

The gown was ridiculous, and so unlike her, but for the sake of tonight, she'd have to play along for a little while longer. Nobody ever said doing an investigation would be comfortable.

Cunningham clapped his hands together once, and he looked far too delighted with himself. "Stunning, my dear. Simply stunning. I do like those in my employ to stand out, and I must say, with your glamour and brains, you would suit the role of intern perfectly."

Father gave her a sharp look, reminding Selena to play nice in the presence of his boss. "Thank you," she made herself say, and by his subtle nod, she'd kept her tone neutral enough.

"Wow," was all Adam said as he stared at her in awe. Awe, of all things! As if a frilly princess dress could make her worthy of such a big reaction without the magic of her makeover. Adam must have sensed her thoughts, or read her reaction on her face, because he leaned in to whisper, "You should see yourself. I think this look is even better than your disguise because it's your natural beauty, just enhanced."

Selena arched a skeptical eyebrow, though that pesky flutter in her stomach returned. "If you say so."

He flashed a genuine, sheepish smile, and offered her his arm with a flourish. "I do. Now, then, milady, shall we head inside to celebrate before we're left behind?"

Oh. Selena followed Adam's gaze and spotted Father and his boss already standing by the door, waiting.

"Fine." Selena sighed. The thought of trying to walk in these heels made her want to cringe, but she accepted Adam's offered arm, if only to avoid face-planting on the way inside.

Father snapped, "Well, come on, then, slowpoke," in her direction.

"Want to trade shoes, Father? I'd like to see you try walking in three-inch stilettos." Selena's feet wobbled as she took her first painful steps, and she might actually have toppled over had Adam not steadied her. She gritted her teeth and held onto him for balance until they reached the lounge, where Selena sank into the first available seat with a sigh of relief.

While Father and Cunningham were drawn into a discussion with the man and woman she'd first overheard in the atrium and then encountered again at dinner, Selena took a moment to use earth magic to transform her heels into comfortable flats. The green tendrils from her kamea made quick work of the task, disappearing beneath her dress to complete it discreetly.

Ah, now she could feel her toes again.

Cunningham turned her way as the tendrils faded and arched an eyebrow, impressed. She restrained herself from glowering at him so as not to further invite Father's wrath, but she'd like to transform his shoes into pointy heels in retaliation.

Anyone who foisted those stiletto monstrosities onto others should be made to walk a mile, no, make that ten miles, in them.

"There you two are." Father waved her and Adam over. "Join us."

Still playing along for the sake of her investigation, Selena obeyed.

"Everyone, meet our potential new intern, Selena Mendelson. If she accepts the position, she'll be working alongside Mr. McAllister." Cunningham made the introductions to what seemed like the entire department with exaggerated enthusiasm and flair as though he were a game show host. She supposed that if he wanted a career in politics, he had to be somewhat theatrical to keep everyone's attention. Or, maybe he was an over-the-top sort of person regardless.

"Yes, we've met," Selena said, hoping to throw him off his stride in payback for the painful heels. Father glared at her for her rudeness, so she amended, "Adam invited me to the table at dinner, and we all had quite a hilarious conversation."

"It's a shame I missed it," Cunningham let out a heavy, put-upon sigh. "Unfortunately, I had to prepare for tomorrow's big presentation. I won't hold up you young people any further, but I'd like you both to attend the meeting at noon tomorrow in the Captain's Bridge. We'll be working straight through to the grand presentation in the theater at three o'clock. Now, scoot and go have fun."

Adam chirped, "We'll see you then, sir, and you can count on us for anything you need to prepare the presentation." Before Selena could respond, he pulled her away by the hand.

He dragged her halfway across the room by the time Selena managed to wrench her arm free and dig in her heels. "What was that? I haven't decided what I'm doing, so don't speak for me," she snapped.

Adam stared at her, slack-jawed, hurt in his eyes. "I thought this was what you wanted."

Selena sighed and crossed her arms, glaring at him. She was too exhausted and irritated to make major life decisions, and his wounded puppy eyes weren't helping matters. The crush of the crowds, the roar of chatter, and the piano pounding a lively tune in the far corner of the lounge all became too much. "Yes. No. I don't know, but it is not up to you, my father, or anyone else to decide for me. I'll go tomorrow and see for myself what it's all about before making any commitments."

Adam nodded, his gaze growing thoughtful. His goofy demeanor evaporated, and he suddenly seemed much more mature. "This is a great opportunity, Lena, one few people get. We're privileged, you and I. Don't blow it."

"Privileged? You don't know the first thing about my life, so don't presume that you do. I'll be the judge of whether or not I take this opportunity, and I will wait until tomorrow at the earliest to figure it all out." Selena snatched a canapé from a tray floating by on a cushion of earth magic and popped it into her mouth. A burst of savory goodness exploded on her tongue. "Look, I'd rather not talk about this tonight. Let's forget about everything Bureau-related and stuff ourselves full until we get our energy back."

"Solid plan." Adam nodded and pulled back from her as though she'd struck him, his tone flat. "But I don't think you understand —"

Selena held up her hand to stop him. Whatever he was about to say, she didn't want to hear it. "No, you're the one who doesn't understand, so I'll say this once again in clear, simple language. Lay. Off."

She spun on her heel and stalked away.

"Hey! I'm sorry. I don't know when to quit sometimes, but I mean well. Where are you going?"

At the sound of his heavy footsteps following behind her, thudding against the marble flooring, she quickened her pace.

"Away from you," Selena shot back, not bothering to pause or turn back around to face Adam. "I'm going to my stateroom to get some much-needed sleep before you badger me to death, or before I end up killing you because you don't know when to shut up. Goodnight."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

266K 10.3K 32
""SIT THERE AND TAKE IT LIKE A GOOD GIRL"" YOU,DIRTY,DIRTY GIRL ,I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE BOOK🌝🌚
46.7K 2.7K 22
𝐁𝐨𝐨𝐤 # 𝟏 𝐨𝐟 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐑𝐚𝐚𝐳 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬. Love or betrayal? Consumption of betrayals. Internal betrayal? Yes! Will they be overcome? Or W...
133K 509 38
Smut 18+ ONLY! ⚠️WARNING⚠️ ⚠️CONTAINS MUTURE CONTENT⚠️ ⚠️VERY SEXUAL 18+⚠️ 22 year old Raven Johnson is just going to her yearly doctors appointment...
1M 43.1K 90
Kenta Bernard, a seventeen-year-old, died of leukemia in the hospital and was reincarnated in a novel that he has yet to finish. He is the ill second...