BEYOND The SUMMIT

By riteforlife

Five teenage best friends find themselves bound together by a road trip adventure that promises more than jus... More

Character Aesthetics for The Summit
Playlist for The Summit
Chapter 1 - The Plan
Chapter 2 - The Players
Chapter 4 - Shotgun
Chapter 5 - Car Ride Giddies
Chapter 6 - Motel Memories
Chapter 7 - Heart to Heart
Chapter 8 - Bestie's Know Best!
Chapter 9 - Lie About the Turth
Chapter 10 - More Walk, Less Talk
Chapter 11 - Home
Chapter 12 - F$*# Rules
Chapter 13 - Hard Heads
Chapter 14: Secrets in the Woods
Chapter 15 - Heat by the Fire
Chapter 16 - Reality Bites
Chapter 17 - Everything Falls
Chapter 18 - Unearthed

Chapter 3 - Bumpy Ride

31 6 41
By riteforlife

Nicole

I sat in the back seat between Chris and Chantel looking through my phone. He didn't text me back yet. Gavin can be such a pain in the ass when he doesn't get his way. I made the mistake of telling him about going to Cody's dad's cottage and he freaked. I reread our text messages,

What do you mean you're going to his cottage?? Gavin texted.

"It's for 2 weeks. His dad invited us. I responded.

So. You're not friends with them anymore. Remember. They will only hold you back from your dreams.

I cringe when I read this part. Gavin doesn't understand my friends. We dated for three years and he was new in town and never bothered to get to know them. 

This is our last summer together. I'm going!! I texted him.

And in September when you're in your new school, you make new friends and be done with them. Remember I'm helping you get a better future and if I'm going into politics we can't have people like them be associated with us.

I turned off my phone and closed my eyes.

"Hey, you OK?" I heard Chris whisper to me.

I turn my head and smile at Chris, "Yeah. Just tired." I lied.

Chris shuffles around a bite, " Do you want to lay your head on my shoulder?"

I tighten my smile. And then there's Chris.

His almond shaped eyes smiled at me. His lean, athletic body next to mine. His black straight hair, styled up and to the side. I know he loves me but I can't love him. Mom and Dad won't approve. Chris is Chinese and that doesn't work in their plan for my life. Gavin works for their plans. But Gavin is deceiving and puts on a fake show in front of my parents. Chris makes them smile, and is genuine when he is around my parents. I just wish mom and dad can see both of them for who they really are.

"Thanks Chris, but I'm going to stay awake for now, I won't sleep tonight." I answered looking down at my phone.

"Hey yeah, where are we sleeping tonight.?" Chantel asked.

"Wow guys it's morning and you're already talking about sleeping." Cody groaned.

"A little planning doesn't hurt, Cody." I say.

Cody looks at me. I see him glance at Chris, then back to me, "And sometimes it's ok to explore outside our comfort zones too Nicole." I give Cody a fake smile, "But I did plan some of this trip." Cody continues, "We should be in a small town outside the mountain range by dinner. We can stay a night at the motel. Then in the morning we head into the mountains. It should be about 2-3 days in the mountains."

"2-3 days!?!" Chantel repeats in shock, "Where are we going to sleep in there?"

"Tents. Einstein!" Cody answered sarcastically.

"The fuck I'm sleeping in a tent!" Chantel said in protest.

"Come on Chantel. We use to camp in my backyard all the time as kids."  Rico adds.

"Yeah Telly, or did social media fame make you forget already about your childhood?" Cody coldly says.

"Don't call me that name!" Chantel yells.

She never liked the name Telly. The boys started to call her that name when she use to tattle on them every time they did something they weren't allowed to do.

"Hey I don't know about you guys. But I'm hungry." Chris said.

"Yeah me too." Rico added.

Cody looks at his phone, " There's a Mc D's coming up. We can eat there. Or... there's a all day breakfast restaurant up a little more?"

"Let's go to the restaurant. I need eggs in the morning."  Chris added.

"Chris. Relax. Your dad's not here." Rico chirps, looking at Chris through the rear view mirror.

"It's not for my dad, asshole. It's for me. I'm eating right regardless of where we go."

"I'm with Chris. I need a good authentic hot cup of coffee right now." Chantel adds.

I look at Cody, " Don't say anything?"

Cody wiggles in his seat with his hands over his mouth mumbling through. Probably smack talking Chantel.

We pull up to a small building with posters about meal deals plastered on most of the windows. A gas station next to it and an outdoor patio with several tables to the other side of the restaurant. We are definitely out of town now. The people look different. They look scrubby. Three big trailer trucks are parked a bit away from the restaurant. I guess truck drivers stop here too. This is the kind of restaurant my parents wouldn't stop at. We wouldn't fit in. I'm so happy I wore my black track pants and sweat top. Nothing that screams 'Name brands'. But Chantel...

"Hey Chantel, why don't you leave your lulu jacket in the Jeep?" I said.

Chantel takes her seat belt off and smiles at me, "but I'll freeze Nicki. It's fine. I'm good with it on."

I don't want to scare her with my thoughts but sometimes Chantel can't see past her own self, "I mean. Maybe keep the name brand items in the car. I don't think the people out here are used to seeing it." I said to see if she clues in.

Chantel look at me confused, " Nicole. I got up way too early this morning and I'm tired. Please get to the point."

"Chantel." Chris intervened, "If you wear your lulus or any name brand it can bring unwanted attention to us. In case you didn't see. We didn't pass a mall or boutique shop in the last 45 mins." Chris lifted his eyebrows, looking at Chantel, "got it?"

Chantel looks and me and Chris, " Well that's their probl..."

"For fucks sake Chantel! Get your fucken head out of your stubborn ass," Cody shouts, "Someone out here could kidnap you, human traffic you, rape you or cut you into small pieces!"  Cody looks at me and Chris, " Stop sugar coating it. She's a big girl and can handle the truth!" Cody looks at Chantel. Chantel  stares at Cody with a fear in her eyes as she takes her lulu Jacket off. Cody smiles, "See, we have an understanding. Let's eat."  Cody said as he and Rico open their doors and get out.

Chantel and Chris open their doors, "I'm starting to think we're safer with the people here then with Cody." Chantel whispers back to me. I smile, agreeing with her.

Cody has always been one to speak the truth. He has had the most difficult life compared to the rest of us. His parents divorced when he was eight years old. He acted out so much. That was the start of him getting trouble at school. His older sister took it better, but she was ten at the time. I think she didn't mind the divorce because the fights that their parents would have was hard to watch. I remember my parents had a BBQ dinner one summer and they were there and it turned into a fight. They left early but Cody was so embarrassed. That was the last time I saw them together.

Now, both his parents have found someone else. Again, it was rough for Cody, having to adjust to two new families and his mom and Peter had a boy together. Cody's dad and his wife don't have children, but lived a more luxurious life. Trips, cottage and high end cars.

But lately, I noticed that Cody has been M.I.A. Missing days at school or leaving early. Mood swings worse than usual and really on Chantel's ass lately.

Then it hit me. OMG. I hope he doesn't know about the guy Chantel is talking with. She made me promise not to tell the guys about him this morning. I pinky sweared,  but what if Cody found out. I mean, he has had a crush on Chantel since we were kids, maybe he caught on that she's talking to someone else. I hope Chantel doesn't think I told him?!? 

"Hey why are you so quiet over here?"  Chris asks, leaning into me as I sat down beside him in the booth.

I smiled at him covering my worry, "Just hoping this trip goes smoothly and we don't get caught." I said with a tight smile.

Chris smiles back. He has a beautiful smile, "It will go well. Forget about your school and parents and that stuck up boyfriend of yours," I look at Chris, "I'm sorry. You know I don't like him, Nicki. He's not good for you. He's stuck up and controlling. He will ruin your life and you will be miserable with him."

I look down. I didn't know if I should tell Chris about Gavin's fight with me, but then again, it's about my friends and that will only prove the obvious to Chris.

I smile at Chris, " Done. I forgot all about it." 

"Chris smiles at me, "Good." Chris lifts his baby finger in front of me, " let's pinky swear. You forget your parents and boyfriend and I'll forget my dad." 

I smile and link my baby finger to his. It sent shivers down my spine to touch his skin. I look at him uncomfortably as he is looking at me, " pinky swear."  I manage to say.

"Hi there. What can I get you all?" A middle aged waitress came to our table.

"Hi beautiful," Rico starts as he gives his winning smile to the waitress, " I'd like the breakfast special with a black coffee please.

The waitress jots it down, smiling at Rico, "next." 

We each give our order. When she leaves I look around the restaurant, locating the exits and physical features of each individual in here.

"According to goggle map, we might be about 5 hours away from that motel that Cody mentioned." Rico says looking on his phone.

"Who are you texting?" Cody asks, looking at Chantel.

Chantel looks up at Cody, tapping her phone then putting it down on the table in a whatever manner, "just Twitter and instagram. I gotta keep up with the idea that I'm in contact with my followers or someone's going to wonder what happened to me."

"She's right Cody," I jump in, "Some of Chantel's cousins are her followers and they'll ask questions to her parents if Chantel doesn't post something on there. This way they won't think anything of it."

Cody looks at both of us, "Don't over do it Chantel? You might accidentally leak out our whereabouts."

Chantel nods her head then gives me a quick glance. I know she's texting that guy she told me about, but she's right, these three...no. Correction; Cody won't stop bugging and questioning Chantel about him and then this trip will be about them.

"I think after we're done here, we keep focus and drive straight to the motel. Make sure we get a good night sleep tonight." Rico said between chewing, looking at goggle maps.

"OK, good. Good husseling everyone!" Chris cheers.  

Cody laughs, "Hey Christmas, you just sounded like your dad."

"Fuck off Code-man! I'm nothing like my dad," Chris said frustration in his voice, putting a fork full of hash browns in his mouth, "I'll let my kids be who they want to be. Go to schools that they want to go." Chris put another mouth full of bacon.

"That's the spirit, Chris," Cody cheers, "Have you told you're dad that speech?" Cody said changing his tone to a serious manner.

Chris stares at Cody, "No." Chris puts another fork full of food in his mouth.

"Then I suggest, when we get home, you say it to your dad's face." Cody sips his coffee, "and if he kicks you out, you can live with me and you can do whatever you like."

Chris sits back tall, laughing looking at Cody, "brothers for life!" Chris says lifting his hand up to Cody. Cody gives his hand as they high five.

"OK, now we have a backup plan for Chris' life, we need to get going to keep on time." Rico says piling  the dirty dishes in the middle of our table.

I admire Rico. I always thought that he was my big brother. He and I are similar and get along really well. We think alike.

The bill came and Cody's eyes pop out, " ah you guys have $ 64.78."

The boys touches their pockets and Chantel looking in her bag. Everyone brought out their money. Cody counts it from hand to hand.

"Holy shit. We only have 50.00 in total" Cody says after he counted the money, "did no one think to bring money," Cody whispered with anger.

"Not a problem," Chris says, "let's dine and dash."

I look at Chris. " I'm not doing that!" I said, looking at Chris with disgust, "how can you think that idea."

"You got a better way Nicole?"  Chris asks.

"No Chris is right, but if we do this we have to do it quickly and maybe not all at once." Rico says as he seems to be thinking of a way for this to work.

I'm so disappointed that no one thought to bring money or cards on this trip.

"Well I'm going first. I can't get in trouble for this." Chantel pipes up.

"OK, let's do this. Chantel, Rico and I first. Then Chris and Nicole." Cody concludes.

Chantel, Cody and Rico get up and slowly made their way towards the door.

"Ready Nikkers." Chris says as he gets up 

"Yeah but just hold a second. Come with me." I said as I take the bill and walk to the lady at the counter.

"What are the hell are you doing Nicole. " Chris says grabbing my hand.

The lady smiles at me. I give her the bill. I can see Chris from the corner of my eye getting nervous.

"That's $64.78 please." The lady said.

"Credit please."  I say as I take my credit card out from the back of my phone.

"Holy crap Nicole." Chris says.

I look at him and put my finger over my lips, "Shhh. Don't let the others know."

Chris looks relaxed now and smiles at me, " What a bad girl you can be," Chris says, "and I thought you lost your mind." 

The lady hands me the receipt and Chris and I walked out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

933K 21.3K 48
Luciana Roman was blamed for her mother's death at the age of four by her family. She was called a murderer until she was shipped onto a plane for Ne...
7.4M 205K 22
It's not everyday that you get asked by a multi-billionaire man to marry his son. One day when Abrielle Caldwell was having the worst day of her life...
121K 5.8K 44
ငယ်ငယ်ကတည်းက ရင့်ကျက်ပြီး အတန်းခေါင်းဆောင်အမြဲလုပ်ရတဲ့ ကောင်လေး ကျော်နေမင်း ခြူခြာလွန်းလို့ ကျော်နေမင်းက ပိုးဟပ်ဖြူလို့ နာမည်ပေးခံရတဲ့ ကောင်မလေး နေခြ...
30.9K 1K 21
[ONGOING 🔞] #8 insanity :- Wed, May 15, 2024. #2 yanderefanfic :- Sat, May 18, 2024. After y/n became an orphan, she had to do everything by herself...