Breaker, Broken | Jorah Mormo...

By SprintingFox

The sweet butterfly of House Targaryen narrowly escaped with her life as the rebellion came to an end. Hidden... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Final Author's Note

Chapter 13

438 30 5
By SprintingFox

Varys's letter arrived in the morning.

Her body was still shaking from the decision she'd made. It felt so very wrong but she refused to think of anything else now. She wanted the throne, out of spite. Just to prove she could be a better Queen than her sister.

She'd reached her last nerve, her final straw. Despite how often she tried to convince herself that she didn't want it, that she only wished for peace and to see her little sister happy, nothing could have prepared her for the realization that she was meant to do this. To take enough control so that stubborn Daenerys couldn't mistreat her, so that she could have the freedoms she wanted on her own terms.

She didn't even have to stay Queen. She just had to do what Daenerys couldn't and take the Seven Kingdoms. She was the only one who could now.

Now all that was left was finding an army that would challenge the Lannisters.

She'd just finished a tension-filled session with Black Fist and Kavarro when a small boy ran up to her, offering her a note. She knew it was one of Varys's little birds, and wasn't surprised that this communication was given directly to her; he'd never met Daenerys and if Tyrion was right, Varys was a firm believer that Saera was a better option.

He'd trust her to carry his message.

-

Princess Saera,

I write to you directly to tell you that I've successfully arranged for all 20,000 Dornish men to be ready at a moment's notice for when your sister arrives. Ellaria is an interesting woman and has much to say about you.

I ask you to tell your sister the grave news. Cersei Lannister has been crowned Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. She used the caches of wildfire to blow through the Sept of Baelor, killing all the Tyrells except for the Lady Olenna, who desires revenge. She has agreed to support Daenerys in her quest to retake the Iron Throne. All 100,000 men in the Reach are hers when she arrives.

Varys

-

She held the parchment tight in her hands, already figuring out how this could be done.

If she really needed to, she could use the leftover money she took from the masters to buy out the 10,000 men in the Golden Company to aid them in the attack on Casterly Rock, where they'd be paid even more with Lannister coin. She didn't want them to be her primary army but she would keep them in the back of her mind in case she required it.

The Martells offered 20,000, the Tyrells 100,000. She'd give Olenna Tyrell the head of Cersei Lannister without a problem. Their loyalty, she could guarantee.

The Lannisters, she didn't want to make extinct. She was sure there were some who were forced to fight for them, maybe even some related to Cersei who were not bad people. She'd accept the surrender of their forces– ask for it, even, before the attack. Surely they'd be intimidated at the sight of a dragon. She could have them march her up to the Red Keep where she could take Cersei prisoner and hand her over to Olenna.

The North might offer about 50,000 men, perhaps less after the horrible business with the Boltons. Still, a significant amount. She would have no problem promising them a free North if they did her this service; she'd even betrothe one of her children to a boy or girl of the next Stark generation.

The Vale, she wasn't sure what to do with now that Lysa Arryn was dead and her son was growing. She didn't need the Knights of the Vale, from the looks of it, but she could perhaps still stand a chance of winning the boy lord over by offering him a ride on her dragon as Visenya did so long ago. Then, she could have their loyalty and keep them on standby, should she need them.

She had a hundred and fifty ships she collected from the masters, most of which had returned from their trips around Essos delivering freedmen back to their native lands. She needed people to sail those ships; perhaps the Astapori, Yunkish, and Meereenese who liked her would be willing to help or would know people she could pay to help her.

Since she didn't have an army to transport, she would have excess room on her ships. She planned to take as much food as she could carry— whatever excess of crops that Meereen, Yunkai, and Astapor were willing to give. If Olenna Tyrell agreed to help her, they could use the Reach's food supply to feed their allies. Saera could send food to the North, to Dorne, anywhere that needed it. She'd sustain her people and they would love her.

She could already picture her banner— a combination of House Targaryen, her family by birth, and House Martell, the family who stepped up to finish raising her after the Targaryen dynasty fell. The three-headed dragon in black, surrounded by a red sun. It would be beautiful. The two colors she used for her war paint, the colors of her first House that still honored her second.

-

Lord Varys,

I write to tell you I've only partially given word to my sister. I've decided to pursue my own claim to the Iron Throne.

I offer you a choice, and please know you are free to do whatever you wish. I will not hold it against you. You cannot support both Targaryen Queens— it would be counterproductive. You either advise my sister or you advise me.

You've met me, Lord Varys, you know what sort of Queen I will be. You know what you'll have with me that you won't have with my sister. Mercy. Patience. Yet still, a firm hand.

If you choose me, I invite you to reply to this letter as soon as you can and tell me everything you know that is happening in all the kingdoms; I need the information to start planning alliances. If you choose my sister, I only ask that you have the courtesy to tell me. I will figure out my own way from there.

I await your response.

Saera of House Targaryen, future Queen

-

It didn't feel proper to call herself the rightful Queen— she wasn't. Neither was Daenerys.

But she now wanted to be Queen. She had the power to be Queen. She wasn't the Mother of Dragons or the Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea.

Just Saera. And still, a better option than her sister.

Lord Varys's reply came swiftly.

-

Your Grace,

Enclosed in this very long letter are all the things you must know before you go anywhere.

The North: Jon Snow has been named King in the North. Word from that region speaks of an army of the dead; many are not sure what to believe but are sure there is some truth to it if Jon Snow let the wildlings cross the Wall and is recruiting their help. Sansa Stark is with him, having been freed from her forced marriage to Ramsay Bolton. The boy is inexperienced but he is stubborn like his father; the only way you'll get anything out of him is by listening to what he wants.

The Iron Islands: The birds I have left in King's Landing tell me Cersei Lannister is preparing to invite Euron Greyjoy to King's Landing, to use them as allies. I've already made sure that Euron Greyjoy learns that there is another Queen in the running, to at the very least delay his response to Cersei if he should choose to pursue it. I imagine he will be more attracted to the dragon you'll have to offer.

The Riverlands: The Freys held Riverrun and lost it to The Blackfish, who brought the Mallisters, Blackwoods, and Brotherhood Without Banners together against them. The Lannisters were not pleased. The Kingslayer took a host to Riverrun to force the Blackfish out, using Lord Edmure Tully– who was wed to Lord Walder Frey's daughter Roslin at the Red Wedding– to try and persuade The Blackfish to give up. He did not, and died in the fight. The Lannisters once again hold the Riverlands; you are unlikely to find allies there, same as in the Westerlands.

The Vale: The Knights of the Vale rode North to aid Sansa Stark and Jon Snow in the Battle of the Bastards. The boy lord Robin Arryn is being trained by House Royce, meaning Lord Petyr Baelish is acting lord from his previous marriage to Lysa Arryn. The Knights of the Vale can be yours as part of the Northern forces if you manage to convince Sansa Stark to call them. Lord Baelish is not a man to be trusted, as you may know. He will migrate to whatever side he thinks will win. Now, he is in the North. Soon... who can really know? You stand to gain him as an ally through Sansa if you treat with the North. And I am sure he will take kindly to being offered a place on your Small Council.

There is currently no one in charge of the Stormlands, allowing them to be monitored closely by the Crownlands. Your best bet for allies outside Dorne and the Reach are the North (which may carry with it The Vale) and the Iron Islands.

Ellaria is preparing Sunspear for you to land. We await you eagerly, Your Grace.

Your loyal servant,

Varys

-

She smiled, pleased to see that Varys was not only good at acquiring information, but knew how to be a step ahead.

She was willing to fake a marriage pact with Euron Greyjoy if it meant keeping him from allying with Cersei; she didn't want their ships to be used against hers. Use him for the rest of his ships and his men (perhaps another twenty-thousand) and then kill him as soon as they had the upper hand. She'd give the Salt Throne to Yara and let her do as she pleased. She wasn't sure she could risk pulling the two Greyjoys to her side now— Daenerys was far too close. She'd most likely try to leave a note for Yara to be received as soon as she left so that she'd know she had no intention of betraying her; and by then it would be too late for her to do anything.

The Stormlands, she didn't know what to do with; this could be resolved later. She would ideally like to install someone loyal to her so she might gain access to their men, but if they were being watched by the Crownlands, it probably wasn't the first thing she'd want to do.

The Riverlands, she could work to free. It could be one of the first places to attack– give the seat back to Edmure Tully and simultaneously wipe out the Lannister forces. They could attack at Casterly Rock next and hold the Lannisters' seat temporarily before they attacked King's Landing. They'd refill the Westerlands steadily once the men who surrendered had bent the knee.

"What I'm about to tell you must stay between us," said Saera to Kavarro and Black Fist that afternoon. She turned to Kavarro first, "Anha tikh tat take jin ador shiqethi. Anha tat tikh Khalessi Andahli ma Mahrazhi ataki, Erinak Rhaeshi Andali ma Vijazerak Vaesi. Anha zigereo yeri rhellaya tat ezat mahrazhi fin tikh mahrazh anna rhaggat eveth akka jadat ma anna tat Rhaesh Andahli. Tikh yer rhellaya anna?" He faced Black Fist, "Mazeminna se Dēmalion Āegenko. Kesan sagon Zȳho Brōzio Ēlos, Andalot se Rhoinaro se Ēlio Valot Dāria, Āeksio Sīkudo Dārȳti, se Dārio Mīsio. Nyke jorrāelagon aōha dohaeragon naejot jiōragon vali qilōni kessa vala ñuha lōgor se māzigon lēda nyke naejot Vesteros. Kessa ao dohaeragon nyke?" (T: I intend to take the Iron Throne. I intend to be Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Lady of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm. I need your help to find men who will sail my ships and come with me to Westeros. Will you help me?)

They both nodded immediately, causing her to smile. "Then please, as quickly as you can," she whispered. "I need men and I need them now. Enough to man a hundred-and-fifty ships. No one should be forced to come with me, not unless they want to, not unless they believe in me."

"We will do this," promised Black Fist. "I know where to look."

Meanwhile, Saera was trying to quantify everything she needed. She needed sailors and enough food to give to her allies. If she took all one-hundred-and-fifty ships, Daenerys would not have enough room for her Unsullied and Dothraki; her trip would need to be delayed.

She'd be furious once she found out.

But when would that be? Daenerys wasn't ready to leave yet. She had much to prepare given how large her army was. She wouldn't be ready even after she found out Saera was gone. She could only hope to pursue her with a few ships and her dragons. And then what would she do– kill her sister? Have Drogon and Rhaegal kill Viserion? Have her Dothraki slaughter every last Westerosi native?

Saera wouldn't accept her into her kingdom unless Daenerys apologized. That was all she would really want. If Saera took the Iron Throne and Daenerys arrived and admitted to having been too cruel, Saera would immediately name her heir. She'd have done the hard work for them and hopefully during her rule, her sister would learn to be a better Queen.

But if she continued to be stubborn, Saera would give her nothing. Daenerys could stay Queen of Slaver's Bay (or whatever she'd end up calling it).

Black Fist and Kavarro returned to her in the early hours of the morning with a list of names. Daenerys had about a hundred thousand Dothraki pledged to her, but only about fifty thousand were fighting men. Of those, two hundred were willing to fight for Saera instead. The two hundred she'd interacted with the most since her arrival, who despite knowing Daenerys longer, noticed that Saera was the one who fought with them, Saera was the one who visited them. Daenerys had focused so much more on her Unsullied to guard the city, and only Saera had kept up with them. It wasn't much, but it was something. Jhiqui would join her, offering to be her handmaiden. Saera assured her this wasn't necessary, wanting her to come as a friend, not as a servant.

Of the Unsullied, one-hundred-sixty were on Saera's side. Mostly those in the lower ranks, not quite officers. They, too, had seen her fight alongside them in instances where Daenerys had not. They had heard the differences between their policies and they stood by Saera. There were more soldiers from Astapor, Yunkai, and Meereen, the same people Saera had given funds and opportunities to. A hundred-seventy from Astapor, a hundred-ninety-five from Yunkai, and three-hundred-forty from Meereen. All fighters, both male and female, and all willing to man her ships and make the voyage to a new land.

They wanted adventure, and she was their ticket to that. They thought she could be a good Queen, and wished to see it happen for themselves.

It left her about seven people to man each ship. It wasn't much, and everyone (including her) would need to pitch in a great deal, but handling the ships wouldn't be a problem once they reached Sunspear. The Dornish and the men of the Reach would join them soon enough. And then, they'd see what the North and the Vale had to offer.

No one suspected anything. She'd already written her letter for Yara and had would hand it to her personally before she walked out. The ships had already begun to leave, Daenerys suspecting nothing because the ships had been coming and going with passengers before she arrived. The first thirty had left, then twenty, and the last one hundred would all go with Saera, loaded with all the livestock, crops, and supplies they could need.

She thought of Jorah the entire night before they were going to leave. She wondered where he'd gone, where there was hope of finding a cure. There was no way of communicating with him, of telling him her plans. Would he support her?

She wanted, more than anything, to see him again. To know he would be alright. To ask him where they stood after they'd clearly begun to care for one another yet kept finding themselves ripped away from each other.

She thought she might want him beside her all her life, she thought she might want him to kiss her and hold her and tell her that she was worth it, even if others didn't think so.

She wanted to tell him what a good man he was, how much she valued him, how handsome and strong he was. She wanted to fall asleep stroking his hair, she wanted to hear his full laugh and the way he would say her name.

Saera, Princess Saera.

She hated that he wouldn't be on those ships with her. But she had to believe he would come back. She had to trust it.

Before daybreak, she began to send the ships out. She woke Yara up to give her the letter, asking her not to open it until sunrise. By then, Saera would be gone.

Viserion was quiet, arriving at the docks when she called for him. She thought he might choose to stay, but he followed after her even as she boarded the ship, flying overhead through the dark, cloudy sky and leading them toward Sunspear.

They were on the sea for three months. There wasn't anyone in pursuit, and they had enough supplies to last them the whole way. Viserion would pluck up fish for himself and accept meat from Saera, who trained on the deck as often as she could with Black Fist, Kavarro, and whoever else wanted to take a turn. She had to make sure her skills were as sharp as possible; she intended to join her troops in battle at all points. She wouldn't hide behind walls while they died for her. If she wasn't on Viserion's back, she'd be on foot with them.

"My beautiful girl!" said Ellaria when they docked in Sunspear. She rushed to Saera, pulling her into a tight hug. "You've returned."

"It's been too long," said Saera quietly. "I was two-and-thirty when I left. Now... I've lost count!"

"You are still young," Ellaria assured her, kissing her head. "Your sisters have grown since you last saw them."

"That they did," said Saera, taking a turn to hug each of them. "Obara, Nymeria, Tyene, Sarella, Elia, Obella, Dorea, and Loreza..." she ticked the chin of the youngest. "It is so good to see you again."

"And you, my Queen," said Loreza, bowing to her.

"Queen of the Seven Kingdoms," agreed Ellaria. "Come, your men must be tired. I've made as much room as possible for them. Given Olenna Tyrell agreed to help us, many of our women, children, and elderly have taken refuge in the Reach where they will never hunger. Dorne is yours."

She smiled gratefully. "Speaking of Olenna Tyrell, I hope we are ready for our first council meeting."

Jhiqui, Black Fist, and Kavarro sat at the table with them to discuss their plan.

"Cersei controls fewer than half of the Seven Kingdoms," said Varys. "The Stormlands, the Westerlands, and now the Riverlands. The lords of Westeros despise her; even before your arrival they plotted against her. You are in a magnificent position for acquiring allies. You are the better option by quite the long shot."

"Yes," said Saera, looking down at the map they had set up for her. "We ought to focus on those regions first, once we have our allies. Seize the Westerlands temporarily, liberate the Riverlands. Unite the people to our cause. We could easily lay siege to King's Landing and kill everyone in our path but what good would that do? What would that prove? If Cersei's reign is this unstable, we can take the throne without much need for bloodshed. Once I've negotiated with the North– and by extension the Vale– and seen if I can convince Euron Greyjoy to be my ally– however untrustworthy he is– we can begin to use our power to force the Lannisters out of where they're not supposed to be and see if we can get them to surrender."

"And what, pray tell, do you intend to do with Euron Greyjoy?" asked the Lady Olenna. "Last I saw you, little Saera, you were afraid of spiders. That man is–"

"–a vile, wicked, disgusting man," said Saera. "His nephew and niece have told me plenty. I do not intend to make Euron Greyjoy King of the Iron Islands. I only need him not to side with Cersei. I intend to make Yara Greyjoy the Queen of the Iron Islands as soon as I can. I do not want to leave a tyrant to rule there. But, undeniably, he is a strong force. His ships will help us gather our army. At this moment, the aim is to have the leaders of the great houses supporting me. Unfortunately, Yara does not sit the Salt Throne at this moment. I will begin by calling Jon Snow and Euron Greyjoy to come and see me. If a bargain can be struck with the North to include the Knights of the Vale, I will travel there myself to see the boy lord. Perhaps he will want to see what it is like to fly. All that will be left after that is to begin the battles... which will require more planning. I ask you all find your best generals. I want all sorts of advice and I want you all to know you are free and welcome to voice your opinions. In the end I will try to decide based on what is most reasonable– in terms of us losing the least amount of people and causing the least amount of damage– while still accomplishing our goals."

"Excuse me, Your Grace," called Tyene from the door. "There is a woman here to see you. A Red Priestess from Asshai."

Saera and Varys shared a look. "Send her to the Great Hall," said Ellaria. "Saera will meet her there."

As she walked out, the woman spoke up, "Darys Saera." (T: Queen Saera.)

"Dreji jiorilaks," said Saera. "Skoros iksis aōha brōzi?" (T: Welcome. What is your name?)

She bowed, "Melisandrose broziks." (T: I am called Melisandre.)

Saera recognized the name. "She once served another who wanted the Iron Throne," said Varys. "It didn't end well for Stannis Baratheon, did it? I'm told you were involved."

Melisandre's lips thinned. "No, it didn't." She looked at Saera, "Kinvara, Eglie Voktys Aeksiot Oño, massilaro vilibazmoti avy baelagon, ñuhos kostyso bosajose, yne jitters." (T: I am called Melisandre. Kinvara, the High Priestess of the Lord of Light, sent me to help you, however I can, in the wars to come.)

"Shijetra nyke, yn skorkydoso kostan pāsagon ao?" asked Saera. (T: Forgive me, but how do I know I can trust you?)

"Bozys bantis amāzis, meri kivio dārilaros oz maghagon kostas." (T: The Prince/Princess who was promised will bring the dawn.)

Saera wasn't convinced. "Kinvara vestās ñuha mandia iksin se Meri Kivio." (T: Kinvara said my sister was the One Who Was Promised.) "How do you know this prophecy now refers to me? First Stannis, then Daenerys, now me?"

"Prophecies are dangerous things," said Melisandre. "I believe you have a role to play. You are here, aren't you? But you are not the only one that is currently a part of it. The King in the North, Jon Snow."

"And why do you think this Lord of Light singled out Jon Snow?" asked Varys. "Aside from the visions you've seen in the flames, that is."

She explained, "You may have heard that as Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, he allowed the wildlings south of the Wall to protect them from grave danger. As King in the North, he united those wildlings with the Northern houses, so together they may face their common enemy. Summon Jon Snow. Let him stand before you, and tell you the things that have happened to him, the things that he has seen with his own eyes."

Saera eyed Varys. "Send a raven to Jon Snow. Tell him I will be arriving on dragonback in three days to have a peaceful conversation."

"You cannot go alone," said Ellaria, bewildered, from behind Varys.

"I trust you all to hold Dorne. If we wait for them to arrive or we take the time to travel in a group, it will take too long. We need to secure these alliances fast. I need to know what Jon Snow has to say before I decide where we move our armies. We can't waste time but we also can't move prematurely without knowing where the best place to strike is. If the Northmen and the Knights of the Vale will immediately help us, we can take the Riverlands and wipe out Jamie Lannister's army. But if that cannot be done yet, I may have the Ironborn seize Casterly Rock while we surround King's Landing and demand their surrender. Choices, choices..." her hand trembled, the weight of all the responsibility fully sinking in. Any order she gave would lead to lives lost.

She didn't want to kill more than she had to.

"That is all for now," she murmured. "I must pack some clothes for my journey."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

264K 9.5K 68
Daemon and Rhaenyra's night at the pleasure house had consequences. Viserys disinherits Rhaenyra when she refuses to marry Laenor and gives Daemon an...
40K 1.1K 51
🚧UNDER HEAVY EDITING🚧 Riva Targaryen is Rhagar Targaryen's twin sister. Viserys always envied his older sister and looked down at her just the way...
28.6K 754 23
"NEVER UNDERESTIMATE A DAUGHTER'S GRIEF.." "IT CAN ACCOMPLISH MANY GREATER THINGS.." "IT CAN BEND KINGDOM'S FROM THE INSIDE..." --- bounΒ·...
39.2K 1K 33
Joanna Lannister, Tywin Lannister's youngest, is a bastard. Even being named a true Lannister after proving herself as a child, the young lady is sti...