A Billionaire's Mistake

By Believeeexoxo

Lincoln Nash has it all - except someone to share it with. Content with his bachelor life, he sabotages his m... More

Standalones in the A Billionaire's Mistake series
1|The Mistake
2|Apologies
3|Muggles
4|The Serpent
5|Whiskey
6|The Revision
7|Eye Candy
8|Sweet-Talker
9|New Girl
10|Use Me
11|Wine
12|Safe
13|Third Party
14|Game
15|Nightmares
16|Good Morning
17|Gravity
18|Jett
19|Feelings
20|Rare
21|Buns
22|Praise
23|Promise
24|Hooked
25|Secret
26|Jealous
27|Flowers
28|Home
29|The Letter
30|Rough
31|The Flu
32|Water
33|Figuratively Speaking
34|Favorite Dish
35|Venice
36|Try
37|Only You
38|Scar
39|Damaged
40|Do You?
41|Tough Love
42|Patient
43|Ready
44|Quick
45|Payback
46|Vows
47|Hurricane
48|The Real You
49|Antidote
50|The Footage
51|Dirty Minutes
52|Guru
53|Balmain?
54|Snowman
55|Act
56|Paranoid
58|Trainer
59|Coincidence
60|Secrecy
61|Thrive
62|Fair
63|The Future
64|Control
65|Person of Interest
66|Our Girl
67|Boss Lady
68|Empire
69|Operation
70|Ring
71|Darkness
72|Never Again
73|Hidden Truth
74|Underestimated
75|Handle It
76|Easy Fix
77|Corden

57|Favor

8.2K 236 16
By Believeeexoxo

Lincoln

I'm going to lose my mind.

Sorting through hours upon hours of footage is getting me nowhere.

The figure cloaked in black isn't recognizable. There are no features other than her silhouette, insinuating it's a woman. Even with Archer's help, he can do only so much. Cases of stalking and domestic abuse are hard to solve unless there's proof, and Travis has been an expert on being stealthy.

I should be focused on the business. I'm in my father's office with the report on Travis beside me, and the footage pulled up on my computer. Archer's been here with me on his lunch break to try and aid me in whatever help I need, but I have nothing to go on, and it's driving me insane.

Archer sighs and flops a folder down on the desk. "This reminds you of college, doesn't it? When we would review the cold cases?"

"I won't let this turn into a cold case," I reply sternly. Too many cases go unsolved, and I won't let Sienna's be one of them. "No way in hell."

Archer's facial features soften as he scans me over. "You need sleep, man. You can't run the business and be an investigator at the same time. I understand you want to help Sienna, we both do, but you can't keep working two jobs and running yourself into the ground."

It's not that easy. I can't shut my eyes knowing Travis is out there inevitably planning something to achieve his revenge on Sienna. The thought of something happening to her is... No. I won't even think about it.

"I'm not giving up on this," I say.

"I didn't say you had to." Rising from the chair beside me, he gathers the reports he snuck over and clasps a hand on my shoulder. "Is running the business really what you want to do? You and I both know you were born to be a cop, Linc. I mean, look at you now. You haven't been able to rest because you want to solve this case so badly. Would leaving the company in Jett's hands be so bad?"

I try to think of something to reply, but words don't come. I let go of my dream a long time ago. When my father took his life because I refused to take over the company and relieve him of the pressure, I took over it after his death as my responsibility. He worked his entire life to build it from the ground up, and I'm not going to let Jett take over just to sell it and give it away. That's not fair to him. I won't let his life mean nothing.

With a shake of my head, I shut the laptop before me. "I made my decision and won't turn back on it."

Archer nods, running a hand through his red, unruly hair that's normally tamed. It's not until now that I notice the bags under his eyes, clearly from lack of sleep. "Maybe you should take your own advice," I add. "You look like hell."

"I'm fine. It's just...been a rough couple of weeks, is all."

"Carmen?" I ask.

"Yeah. I was an ass when we ended things, and I tried to reconcile things with her, but it didn't go over so well." He forms his lips into a thin line and sighs.
"Break-ups suck. I'll get over her eventually."

When knocks sound off on my office door, I roll my eyes to see Jett standing on the other side of the glass. I forgot it we had our financial meeting this afternoon—the only meeting I'll allow him to sit in on. He strides through the door before I can wave him in.

I glance at the Rolex on my wrist, arching a brow. "You're early."

Jett takes another step towards us, dressed in a suit ironed to perfection, shooting daggers at Archer. He's normally a cocky, arrogant prick, but for a second, I wonder if he's about to take a swing at my best friend. "Didn't realize being early was a crime," he says.

Archer straightens as Jett's eyes continue to bore into his, clearing his throat before he asks, "Is there a problem?"

"Actually, there is. Stop waiting outside of Carmen's door every fucking night. You're a cop. It'd be a shame to have to file a report against one of the station's beloved officers."

Archer clenches his fists at his sides. "How the hell do you know I've been hanging around there?"

"Does it matter?" Jett takes a step closer. I step between them, watching the staff members outside the glass walls direct their attention on us. "Stay away from her, and we won't have a problem anymore. Simple as that."

"And if I don't?"

"Okay, the both of you are starting to cause a show. Go measure your dicks someplace else and get out. I'm not having a fight in my office."

Jett cracks a smile and cocks his head to the side, analyzing Archer like a cat would a mouse. "Trust me when I say you won't want to find out, Arch. You better get going."

Archer scoffs. "You don't even know the truth."

"Oh, but I do, and you're an absolute idiot for dumping her. He's got two seconds before I punch him in the face, Lincoln. Get him out of here."

My brother is pressing against my hand as I try to hold him back, and Archer must sense the warning because he lets out a scoff and disappears without another word, throwing the door closed behind him and rattling the walls.

All of my staff members, including Margo, watch him stride briskly for the elevator in complete silence.

I've only seen Jett like this once before, and it was when we were at a summer camp as teenagers. One of the older guys in our bunk was talking shit about our game of soccer the day prior and wouldn't shut up about it. In Jett's defense, the guy was a douchebag, and I let him slug him one before I held him back, just like I am now.

I wait until the elevator doors close behind Archer before I release him. "What the hell was that about?"

He shrugs, fixing his cuff links and slimming down his slicked-back man bun that hasn't moved an inch out of place since he's gotten here. "I don't like guys who mistreat women."

"And Archer did something to Carmen?"

He shakes his head. "He didn't do anything to her, but he said some fucked up shit that wasn't right."

"And you know this how?"

Jett narrows his eyes for a brief second before replying, "At Mom's gala. I was dancing with her, and she told me about it."

"Hm..." I've known my brother for years. He's always had a good grip on his temper. The only reason for him to get red in the face and practically punch my best friend into next week would be because he cares about her, and if that's true? It's almost worse than if my mother's theory about him using her to get his half of the shares is correct.

But I can't tell him that Mom is suspicious. Maybe he's a good actor and started this fight with Archer to try and convince me that he likes Carmen. With Jett, I never know what's up his sleeve.

"Are you dating her?" Sienna told me how oddly happy Carmen was at their lunch date a few days ago. I was in complete denial about them being together, but after witnessing how angry my brother just got, maybe something has transpired.

"I don't date anyone," he replies. He leans against the edge of my desk, crossing one ankle over the other. "But I'm not going to let him treat her like that. Or any woman for that matter."

"Right," I drag out the word, clearly not believing him.

Glancing down at the desk, Travis's report is staring up at him, and Jett takes the opportunity, skimming it before I can snatch it away. "That's Sienna's ex," he observes. "The guy in the crowd at Los Angeles."

"And it's none of your business," I seethe, holding the file close to my chest so it's out of his view.

"I might know some people that could help," he says, and for once, it seems like he actually means it.

"What kind of people?"

"The kind you don't associate with. People who handle crime in different ways than cops."

I roll my eyes. This is exactly why the company won't fall into his hands. "I don't need gang leaders or drug dealers from whatever club you attend in on this investigation. I'm not even supposed to have this file in the first place." I also won't tell him that I'm tracking all members of Travis's family as we speak. Letting that piece of information fall into his hands could cause me a world of trouble.

He inspects his nails as if he doesn't have a care in the world. "Have it your way, then. Just thought I'd offer."

"As if you'd ever offer me help without needing a favor in return."

A flash of an emotion that's unreadable passes across his face, and if I'm not mistaken, it's almost like he's...hurt that I'd accuse him of such a thing. "Right. Because I'm such a self-loving ass that I wouldn't want to help capture the man stalking the woman my brother is head over heels for. How could I forget?"

I try to reach for him, but he's out the door and heading for the meeting before I can. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.2M 162K 49
"C- Can you move b- back a little?" My words made him smirk and if it's even possible, he came closer. Why do I always have to stuck between him and...
637K 22.8K 42
"don't come any closer" I stutter as he takes long strides towards me. I press my back against the shelf and he traps me with his two hands. "do you...
2.7M 119K 64
'where do u live?'. I text him and wait for a couple of seconds. Hmm...no reply. Nevermind. I change into my usual uniform and was about to put my dr...
780K 22.3K 31
Addison Jordan 20 has never had a proper family to grow up with. Her mother died while in labour with her and her father was an abusive drunk who bla...