When Robins Appear (Book 3)

Від tricia-joy

Book Three in The Cottage Series. - Note: If you haven't already, please read Clay's Cottage (Book 1) and Foo... Більше

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six

Chapter Five

345 23 5
Від tricia-joy

So it turned out the old Hogg cottage was at the end of a road roughly halfway between town and the Valentine house.

We had been travelling for around fifteen minutes before the road came into view.

Robbie was once again up ahead of us, pushing his horse hard, desperate to see his soon-to-be fiancée again.

He had been faced forward the whole trip, in his own little world, determination driving him to find his love. Until he turned suddenly in his seat, one arm raised and waving to catch our attention.

Nicholas and I exchanged glances before Nicholas slapped the reins, encouraging Ace to speed up.

"Sorry, boy," Nicholas apologised to his beloved horse. "But something's clearly amiss."

Satisfied that we had picked up speed, Robbie turned in his seat to face the front once more.

As we advanced further along the road, a dark figure came into view in the distance, standing at the intersection with one hand shielding their eyes from the low morning sun.

"Is that Isabella?" I asked Nicholas, knowing very well that he could only see what I could.

"Perhaps?" he responded. "The person is female, I'm sure of it."

"They're wearing such dark clothes, though. Isabella loves her colours."

"Whoever it is, what in God's name are they doing all the way out here with no horse or buggy in sight?"

"Is it safe to approach, do you think?"

"Well, there's three of us and one of her. I think we'll be fine," he said, one side of his mouth curling up into a smile.

"All right, smarty pants. But don't come crying to me if she pulls out a pistol," I retorted, making him laugh.

We watched as Robbie came to a stop in front of the woman, wasting no time diving out of the buggy and going to her.

The woman went stiff, balling her hands into fists, then abruptly turned and stormed off in the opposite direction. Robbie followed her, hands held up in a praying position.

"It's Isabella, all right," I said.

"Are you sure?"

I laughed. "You are such a man. Look at their body language. Isabella is storming away from him, obviously still mad at him. Robbie is following like a puppy dog, begging for her forgiveness."

"Ohh," he said, realising that I was right.

"Let's just say I've witnessed quite a few fights between Anna and her boyfriends over the years. And they pretty much all looked like that," I explained. Then added, "Although, sometimes the roles were reversed."

Nicholas pulled Ace to a stop behind Robbie's horse and buggy, and we jumped down to join the chase.

"Stay, Teddy," I ordered him, and he obediently plonked his little behind back down on the seat.

We made our way towards Isabella and Robbie who were getting further up the road.

"I don't want to talk to you right now," we heard Isabella yell up ahead.

"I understand you're angry, Isabella, and I can explain everything. But please, at least allow me to take you home."

"No," she responded firmly.

Robbie stopped in his tracks and sighed heavily. Then he turned in his spot and noticed us coming towards him.

"She won't talk to me. Maybe you could try?" he asked us, pleading look on his face.

"I don't think she's in the mood to talk to any of us. We didn't really think this through, did we?" I looked at Nicholas. "She might, however, talk to you."

"W-What? Me?" The horrified look on Nicholas' face was almost comical.

"She was overly apologetic to you about the deceased father comment," I explained. "She might not be mad at you."

"I-I wouldn't know what to say. It should be you, Matilda."

"Why me? I was the one who yelled at her."

"Because... you're a woman." I folded my arms across my chest and raised an eyebrow at him. "I-I just mean because you two are friends... and women talk about their feelings and whatnot."

He cringed, knowing he was saying the wrong thing. But I let him off the hook. He was right, though. We were friends. At least, I was hoping we still would be after all this had blown over. I was ready to forgive her, and I wanted to apologise for my drunken behaviour.

"Fine. Stay here," I ordered, even though I knew there was no chance of them following me, anyway. I started walking towards Isabella and caught up to her pretty quick, as she had slowed her pace knowing Robbie was no longer chasing her. "Isabella?"

"Go away, Tilly," she responded abruptly without turning around.

"What are you doing out in the middle of nowhere on your own? Where is your horse?" She didn't respond. "I'm sorry." That made her stop, but she didn't turn around. I stayed behind her and continued talking to the back of her head. "I shouldn't have said those things."

She finally turned around to face me. "But it's true. Those things you said. About me being jealous. I was jealous. You and Nicholas had what I wanted."

"And you can still have what we have."

She shook her head. "No, I can't."

"Yes, you can. Isabella, your father wasn't the one who was preventing you and Robbie from becoming engaged."

"I know." I could see tears forming in her eyes. "And the truth is so much worse. I knew my father would eventually come around. I knew all I had to do was be patient. But now that I know Robbie was the one who was stalling our engagement... that is so much worse, Tilly. It means he doesn't love me. It means... it's over." She burst into tears, burying her face with her hands.

I reached out to her and pulled her into an embrace. "No, no, Isabella, there's no need to cry. Robbie loves you. He loves you more than anything in this world.

"He d-doesn't," she sobbed into my shoulder.

"Yes, he does. He told me last night." She lifted her head and her red, tear-filled eyes blinked at me. "He was just scared, that's all. It happens. He thought he wasn't good enough for you or your family."

"He thought that?" I nodded. "But that's silly."

"He just needed some reassurance. We had a good talk last night after he came to the cottage in a panic because you had run away."

"Oh, no, I didn't run away, Tilly. Is that what everyone thinks?"

"Yes. But if you didn't run away, where have you been all this time?"

"I just came to say goodbye to our little cottage. I knew Robbie wouldn't purchase it for us once our courting was over. I was only planning on staying an hour or so. Just as I was about to leave, the buggy wheel hit a rock and broke some spokes. I was stranded there. I knew it would be reckless for me to start walking, as it would've been dark before I reached anywhere safe. So I stayed at the cottage overnight and started walking towards the main road this morning, hoping someone would eventually ride past. I couldn't believe it when I saw Robbie."

"He has been beside himself. He was desperate to find you."

"Because... he loves me?"

I nodded, smiling. She wiped the tears from her rosy cheeks. "I suppose I should go talk to him."

"He would like that very much, Isabella."

"How do I look?" she asked. "I've been crying. And I'm also wearing these ugly dark clothes because I was sad."

"You look beautiful. Now go."

She took a deep breath and smiled, then she raced towards her love. His face lit up as she approached him and they held each other tight.

Nicholas gave them some privacy and we walked towards each other, meeting in the middle. He wrapped an arm around my waist.

"I assume by the looks of that, everything went well?"

I nodded. "I'm pretty sure we're over that little hurdle. Happier times to look forward to now."

"Thank the Lord," he replied, squeezing my waist gently.

"We should get going. Get her back to the Valentines before someone figures out what's going on."

"Wait. Let's give them a minute."

I glanced up at him and he was trying his hardest to hold back a smile.

"Nicholas Clay, do you know something I don't know?"

His smile grew but he didn't take his eyes off of the couple.

"Just watch," was all he said.

I watched Isabella and Robbie with interest, wondering what was about to happen.

The couple pulled away from their embrace and Robbie said a few words to Isabella which we were unable to hear. Then he dropped to one knee.

"Oh my... Is he proposing?"

"Mm-hm," Nicholas replied. "He just informed me that if Isabella ever forgave him, he would propose to her on the spot. He doesn't want to waste anymore time."

"That's so romantic. And we get to witness it. Can we step closer so we can hear them?"

"Just a little. Let's give them their privacy."

We took a few steps forward and Isabella was watching with her mouth gaping as Robbie rummaged through a pocket on the inside of his coat. He finally pulled out a white handkerchief, unfolded it carefully, and with it still resting on his open hand, held it up in front of her.

She gasped, covering her mouth with her hands.

"I can't offer you a fancy ring," we heard Robbie say, "but I can offer you a life full of happiness if you choose me. This road that we're on now, leads to our future together. I promise you the house that is at the end of this road will be ours soon. We will grow old there, the children will grow up there, and hopefully new lives will be born there. I was scared, Isabella. But with you by my side, I have nothing to be afraid of. Isabella Caroline Shore, will you choose to walk down this road with me as my wife?"

"Good God, that kid outdid me," Nicholas murmured.

"What are you talking about? Your proposal to me was beautiful."

"We were both half-naked in the living room."

I shrugged. "Well, I thought it was beautiful. Maybe don't tell people about the half-naked thing, though."

He chuckled.

Isabella nodded frantically at his question, this time wiping happy tears from her eyes. After Robbie slipped the ring onto her finger and they kissed, I had to fight back tears myself.

When the couple remembered they weren't alone, they waved us over, and we went to them with grins on our faces. We spent several minutes congratulating them, hugging, and oohing and aahing over her ring. If someone had ridden past at that moment, they would've wondered what on Earth was going on.

I was so relieved it worked out for them and Isabella and I were no longer upset with each other. And for a brief moment, until I sat back atop the buggy, I was able to forget that we were heading to the place where I would spend an undetermined amount of time until Nicholas and I marry.

* * *

The four of us and Isabella's children were having a small pre-lunch celebration, I suppose you would call it, in the garden. I refused to drink claret and was quite content with my juice.

Isabella and Robbie had decided to keep their engagement quiet in front of Mrs. McCulloch, Grace and the new governess, until they had officially told Mr. and Mrs. Valentine the news first.

The children were crawling all over Isabella, and had barely left her side since her return, making up for lost time after their mother's absence overnight.

But, of course, Isabella didn't mind. She felt guilty for accidentally leaving them at the house with only their nanny and no parent or grandparents around. And she did feel bad for Grace having to deal with their tantrums. But to make it up to her, she gave Grace the day off, which Grace was thankful for.

No one else knew the real reason Isabella didn't return the night before, and we thought it best it stay that way.

Just as Robbie was about to pour everyone, except myself, a second glass of claret, a horse and buggy pulled down the driveway.

"Is that Father back from Hobart Town already?" asked Isabella.

"Seems like it," Robbie replied. "And Mrs. Valentine is with him."

"He must have picked up Mother on his way through. Let's let them settle in before we tell them the news," she said to Robbie, touching his hand.

"Of course," he replied. "I'd best take their horse to the stable. Excuse me."

Robbie removed himself from the table first, and the rest of us, including Teddy and the children, followed to greet them.

"Well, what a lovely welcoming committee we have here," Mr. Valentine said once his feet were on the ground. "What's the occasion?" he asked, straightening his coat.

"No occasion, Father," replied Isabella innocently. "Can't one greet you without you being suspicious?" she asked, leaning in to give him a peck on the cheek. "We were all just in the garden having an early lunch."

"An early lunch sounds wonderful after our long trip. Would you mind informing Mrs. McCulloch that we're home, sweetheart?" Mr. Valentine asked his daughter with a smile.

"Of course, Father. Come, children. Let's give grandma and grandpa some space."

The children obeyed, merrily running inside the house ahead of their mother.

"I believe congratulations are in order," Mrs. Valentine said to Nicholas and I. "Henry has informed me that you two are engaged?"

"Yes. Thank you," Nicholas replied with a polite nod.

"Let us know if you are in need of any help with the preparations," she added.

"We will, thank you," I replied, holding my tongue that Mr. Valentine has already offered his services.

"He also informed me that you are in need of a place to stay until the wedding, Miss Fletcher," she added.

"Uh, yes," I replied. That wasn't entirely true, but I had to be polite. "Mr. Valentine was kind enough to let me stay here in my old room. I hope that is all right with you, Mrs. Valentine."

She nodded with a smile. "You're always welcome here, dear."

"Actually, Miss Fletcher, there's been some development on that," said Mr. Valentine.

"Oh?" I was hoping they'd changed their mind and I could go back home to Clay's Cottage with Nicholas.

Mrs. Valentine continued. "Yes. When Mr. Valentine arrived at my sister's house this morning, we sat down for some tea. We got to talking and my sister mentioned she has a friend in need of a governess for her two youngest children. Henry mentioned you were looking for another governess job, so he volunteered you. How perfect, don't you think?"

"Um... he did what?" I was dumbfounded. There goes Mr. Valentine meddling again.

"Uh, sir, Matilda doesn't really need a governess job. I will support her after we're married," said Nicholas, a hint of annoyance in his voice.

"I am well aware of that, Nicholas. I told her it would only be temporary until Miss Fletcher is wed, and she was quite fine with that agreement."

"So that would mean... I would be living in Campbell Town instead of here?"

"Yes, Miss Fletcher. It's a quaint little town. You'll love it."

I was speechless. Did I even have a say in this at all?

"Sir, with all due respect-" Nicholas started.

"Is there a problem, Nicholas? Matilda needs a safe place to stay until the wedding, and as a bonus, she can earn an income doing something she loves. It's a win-win if you ask me."

I had to admit, it wasn't a terrible plan. I was hesitant because I knew I would be even further away from Nicholas. How often would I see him if I was living in Campbell Town? I knew it was roughly forty-five minutes from here via car. Even longer by horse and buggy.

"What are you thoughts, Miss Fletcher?" Mrs. Valentine asked.

"Can I talk it over with Nicholas for a moment?"

"Of course. We will be inside," replied Mr. Valentine.

When we were alone, I stepped closer to Nicholas, facing him. "I don't know what to do."

He furrowed his brow. "I think you should go." I honestly didn't expect him to say that. "Of course I'll miss you. You'll be so far away. But I know you recently expressed interest in being a governess again. And I don't want to stop you doing something you want to do."

"I know I'll be far away. But we could use the extra money to pay for the wedding and my dress. And whatever is left over will be a nice kickstart to our new life together."

He sighed. "You've mentioned to me before that it's different in your time, that women are more independent. But I don't want money to be the reason why we're separated. Being close to you is more important than money."

"Aww, that's sweet. But it's just temporary, remember? Once we're married, we never have to be separated again."

He wrapped an arm around my shoulder and pulled me into him. I instantly snuggled into his warmth.

"I love the sound of that, darling. I simply cannot wait until I'm married to you."

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

8.3K 1.3K 95
Book 3 of 'Dawn' trilogy With a powerful slit, the morning rays penetrated through the curtains of darkness. The Dawn has manifested again, in a new...
32.1K 967 13
"...I'd sail across the world for you." {BOOK TWO OF THE STOLEN TIME TRILOGY}
259K 7K 174
Third book to Chaos series. Enjoy.
56.7K 1.1K 16
Here's something to ease my soul after writing two Percy Jackson books. So these are just one shots. I especially love the third one. Thank you for...