Quite Cracked, Yet Not Broken...

By IcetheHedgehog06

Marinette has been hated, disgusted by, and isolated from her very own "friends". Finally, she falls to one... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: Alone
Chapter 2: Dark Embrace
Chapter 3: Stitches
Chapter 4: Still You
Chapter 5: Aftershock Justice

Chapter 6: Redemption

397 7 6
By IcetheHedgehog06

It was early the next morning. Marinette decided that she was done being the victim, that it was time to get her life back on track. Her parents advised her to take the day off too if she didn't feel up to doing anything, but they would support her nonetheless.

The first thing she heard when she got to the school were talks about Lila getting expelled. At first Marinette felt joy, knowing that it meant that she didn't have to put up with Lila today, and hopefully deal with her much later in her life. But it was suddenly replaced by fear once she entered the classroom. Everyone had their previous seats back, only that Nathaniel was now with Ivan in the same row. Why? Also all eyes were on her, wide-opened, as if they were expecting her to do something.

What did they want Marinette to do? Prove that she was okay, prove that she was still akumatize, prove that Lila's lies were actually the truth, prove that she was a monster, what exactly? Marinette's chest began tightening, it was getting harder to breathe.

Why did I come here? She thought, This was a mistake. I should've stayed home. She clutched her books closer to her chest like they were her last life line. She hurt them. So they were trying to hurt her back, weren't they. By tricking her into thinking they liked her again, only for them to stab her in the back once again?

Marinette's lip quivered, and she panicked when she realized she wouldn't be able to stop the tears from falling. Hoping she wouldn't trip on the way, Marinette lowered her eyes to the floor and quickly went up the steps to the back row, where she belonged.

Marinette could feel eyes on her as she sat down. It was as if they were burning holes into her very soul. She hated that all the attention was on her. It was mistake to come back today. Ms. Bustier cleared her throat, sending her Class Representative a sympathetic smile.

"Alright, class." she began, "Let's get situated and begin today's lessons."

Marinette mentally thanked her teacher for being so understanding. She didn't deserve to be here, even if the class was uncharacteristically silent today.

Were they sad? If they were, was it about Marinette's akumatization, or about Lila getting expelled? Probably Lila, most likely Lila. They probably hated her right now. This was too much.

Marinette barely felt Tikki gently pat her leg from within her purse. She looked down to see Tikki's face popping out, offering a comforting smile. Marinette returned the gesture, albeit with more sorrow, before Tikki closed the purse back up, disappearing before being spotted.

...

At lunch, Marinette didn't even bother sitting next to anyone. They probably didn't want her there. Besides, she didn't want all the attention again. So she opted for the empty courtyard instead.

Her parents made her lunch together today. They placed sticky notes on every single thing. They praised Marinette for being a "wonderful daughter" and "overall person". These little praises were enough to make Marinette actually smile. The back of her throat tightened with emotion and tears came to her eyes.

"Take those words to heart, Marinette." she heard Tikki say, "They're true."

"Thank you, Tikki." Marinette replied, "You think I made a mistake sitting by myself? After I promised to stand up for myself today?"

"Part of me does." Tikki replied.

She was being honest because that's something her Chosen loved. It hurt Marinette a little, but it was for the best. Marinette couldn't take liars anymore.

"But it's your choice." Tikki added, "I want you to be happy, Marinette. Even if it takes an eternity."

"Thank you, Tikki.' replied Marinette. She then offered her little Kwami one of her father's macaroons. Tikkit took a bite.

...

It was raining. Why did it always rain whenever Marinette forgot to bring an umbrella? It was after school, and it was raining, forcing Marinette to wait outside until it either stopped or her parents came to pick her up.

What made it worse is that she wasn't the only one waiting. Most of her classmates were stuck in a similar position. That is unless they did have umbrellas and they were talking to each other.

A few eyes were on Marinette, again, and once again, Marinette wasn't liking it, causing her to squirm under all the attention she was getting.

"Hey, Marinette." said Adrien from behind.

She turned, taking a quick glance at the model, remembering how little he did for her when Lila was antagonizing her. He didn't do anything. So why was he being friendly towards her now? Did he expect her to forgive him just like that? Marinette quickly looked away from him. She didn't want to spare him a single second of her time.

Yes, Marinette was mad at him. Adrien did absolutely nothing to help her, not even speaking up on her behalf to get people to leave her alone.

She heard Adrien sigh, before opening up his umbrella.

"I'm so sorry, Marinette." he began, "I really am. I just wanted you to know that I understand what you're going through."

Marinette didn't believe him for a moment. Did he? Very unlikely. Adrien didn't understand her at all.

"I know what it's to be so alone." said Adrien.

Then something snapped in her brain. That's when Marinette remembered: His mother, Emily Agreste. She wasn't around anymore. And Gabriel was always just far too busy for him, and yet some how still had time to treat him only like a child.

"I know what it's like to feel isolated, and not having any kind of say in that." Adrien finished. 

That was exactly what Marinette felt, give or take a few derailments, but that's what everything summed up to. Lila had exiled Marinette from her own class, her own life, and she was powerless to stop it. No one believed her. In fact, they only turned their backs on her, and it caused her to get akumatized.

The aftershocks of which she was obviously still suffering from. As she glanced back up at Adrien, Marinette felt her throat tighten up again, her eyes brimmed with tears, her lip trembled. Marinette knew she was about to cry, but this time, she did absolutely nothing to stop it.

Adrien was holding his umbrella at her again, a gentle, reassuring smile on her face.

Their eyes connected, blue and green, Marinette could feel their very hearts doing the same.

Adrien felt responsible for her being akumatized, and he felt obligated to fix everything, to put everything back the way it was before, assuming he really could, so Marinette wouldn't have to suffer anymore. They had each other.

"You can always count on me, Marinette." said Adrien.

He then offered her the umbrella.  It was jus tlike their first time under the rain.  Marinette smiled as she shakily grabbed the umbrella from him, afraid to break eye contact. But it was inevitable. Adrien's bodyguard was here and waiting for him.

"I have to go," said Adrien, a little sad to break up this moment too soon, "but I'll see you tomorrow, Mari, okay?"

Marinette's face broke out into a tear-filled smile of pure joy, the largest and most realistic one in a long time.

"Okay!" she called back.

She waved goodbye at his limo as it pulled away from the curb, before walking down the steps of school and in the direction of the bakery. As she walked, Adrien's umbrella over her head, Tikki poked her head out of the purse.

"Marinette, are you okay?" she asked, "You're crying."

Marinette was, and she didn't realize that until now. However, she was not worried. Not one bit.

"I'm fine, Tikki." she finally answered, "Actually...today went even better than I thought."

Tikki's smile following this was equally as bright as her chosen's not too long before. Cat Noir had done it again. Marinette was on the mend. It's going slow, but surely, it will get better.

________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for Reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

286 9 12
Ladybug and Cat Noir have been fighting Hawk Moth for an entire year. Hawk Moth has come to a realization that his akumas are just simply too weak t...
11.2K 218 10
Being Ladybug has been getting harder for Marinette. She was put in charge of a very important fundraiser with meetings during school and after schoo...
1.3K 83 19
"You never expect these sorts of things to happen to you in real life, until it happens. Frankly, I'm just an unlucky one." In a bleak moment of vuln...
409 25 26
Twilight has always been mysterious, shrouded in magical realities. But it seems to have found a whole new meaning for Marinette and Cat Noir, who ha...