right where you left me

By sydsofia13

After experiencing the heartbreak of a lifetime, Tippah Jones decides to leave Lyon, and move to Arsenal, in... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Burn in my Throat
Chapter 2 - Breaking the Lines
Chapter 3 - Nothing At All
Chapter 4 - Falling
Chapter 5 - Peace
Chapter 6 - Lighthouse
Chapter 7 - Connections
Chapter 8 - Bringing Her Down
Chapter 9 - Lighting Her Up
Chapter 10 - Liquid Courage
Chapter 11 - Horrors, Hurts and Harms
Chapter 12 - Real Smooth
Chapter 13 - No More Lies
Chapter 14 - Honour
Chapter 15 - Pure Luck
Chapter 16 - His Leah
Chapter 17 - Too Real. Too Raw.
Chapter 18 - Official
Chapter 19 - Light Alcohol
Chapter 20 - Just Ellie
Chapter 21 - All This Time
Chapter 22 - Double Shit
Chapter 23 - Arsenal Family
Chapter 24 - Live in the High
Chapter 25 - My Now
Chapter 26 - Game of the Century
Chapter 27 - Counting for Something
Chapter 28 - Natural Interactions
Chapter 29 - Everything has Changed
Chapter 30 - Hating the World
Chapter 31 - Lies Hurt
Chapter 32 - Finding Answers
Chapter 33 - Would've, Could've, Should've
Chapter 34 - Naivity
Chapter 35 - Villain
Chapter 36 - End of a Decade
Chapter 37 - Back To December
Chapter 38 - Growing Sideways
Chapter 39 - Start of the Apocalypse
Chapter 40 - Come Back
Chapter 41 - Be Here
Chapter 42 - Long Time Coming
Chapter 43 - Start of the End
Chapter 44 - Castles Crumbling
Chapter 45 - Endure and Survive
Chapter 46 - Love and War (in your twenties)
Chapter 47 - Summertime Sadness
Chapter 48 - Home Is Where The Heart Is
Chapter 49 - Anatomy
Chapter 50 - Fireflies
Chapter 51 - Matilda(s)
Chapter 52 - Walking the Family Line
Chapter 53 - I Can't See You
Chapter 54 - 10,000 Miles
Chapter 55 - Truths
Chapter 56 - A Limited Vocabulary
Chapter 57 - Hurting, Praying, Harming
Chapter 59 - I'm Home
Epilogue
Another Note From Me to You

Chapter 58 - Nerve

2.8K 121 20
By sydsofia13

We headed down to Sydney and it would be England against Australia. It was expected to be the biggest clash of the tournament so far with TV viewership expecting to skyrocket. It was all meant to be.

But the headline of today's newspapers wasn't just about us. It was about him as well.

FINNIGAN JONES SENTENCED TO 20 YEARS; SISTER, TIPPAH JONES, PLAYING IN MAJOR SEMI-FINAL CLASH TONGITH

20 years.

Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I thought he could get life.

From what I read, it was to do with the context. The abuse. The alcoholism. The childhood trauma. It let him off.

I wanted to talk to him. I wanted to talk to my brother. But at the same time, I never wanted to speak to him again. It was as if the world was now broken into two: my life before and my life after.

This was after.

After change.

I had a few missed messages from Leah, but I left them for the moment. I had to deal with the game; nothing more; nothing less.

Eden: darling! I've flown over w jill to sydney... imma be at ur game. Come find me.

I stared at the message, with a soft smile.

Tippah: thank u

Eden: what for?

Tippah: for coming.

Eden: of course id come x

I left my phone on my bed as I went downstairs to eat, sitting beside Ellie and Hayley. I watched as the girls' heads were filled with nerves but also excitement. There was a feeling in camp that was unlike any we had experienced before. We had a chance to do something incredible.

To win a semi-final at a home world cup.

It was all possible.

Anything was possible if we had enough nerve.

Bindi: ill be at the game! Gi is coming + the boys xx

Tippah: aww eden is going to be there too! Should i get u guys tickets together?

Bindi: not too much trouble?

Tippah: never!!

Bindi: that would be great! Thanks darling x

I sent them through my allocation of family tickets and was greeted with grateful messages from both of them. Although I don't think either of them has spoken to each other in months, and then before that: years, I was hoping things would change. We would need each other now.

It was us. It was her, me, and them.

I sat beside Ellie on the bus, with Hayley opposite us and Mary beside her. It was a calming trio to be surrounded by. They were level-headed and weren't getting inside their own minds. They were calm; knew what they were doing. I fed off that energy. I needed it.

"Say we were to win," I soon said. "That would just be crazy."

"I don't think I'd have words," Ellie replied.

"It would feel surreal," Hayley added.

"Do you think it's possible?" Mary asked.

"Anything is," Ellie replied.

"If we have enough nerve," I said this under my breath not wanting to draw attention to my comment. But I was scared.

I was scared about failing, failing under the pressure.

There was a nation wanting us to succeed, and another wishing for our failure. It felt so two-sided: no matter what we did someone would feel hurt. Someone's day would be ruined. Someone's life would fall to shreds.

We arrived at the stadium, and Sam was going to be starting. It was the first game she would be leading us out, wearing the captain's armband like she had been expecting to do so all tournament long.

This was supposed to be her tournament but it became ours instead. I guess that was maybe fate telling us something greater. She knew it. And we did too.

As I walked through the tunnels of Stadium Australia, trying to get my head into the game, I ran into someone.

"Oh, hi," I said to Georgia, as we bumped shoulders by accident.

"Oh, hello," she said. We had a small hug before standing across from each other.

"How've you been?"

"Not bad," she answered.

"How is she?" I asked.

"Shouldn't you know this?"

"Yes... probably."

"She's been a little anxious," Georgia soon said.

"Yeah..."

"Are you okay?"

"Not sure if you've read the news G," I laughed.

"Yeah, I saw that. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. I guess I've just been distracted."

"I- yeah. You have bigger things to worry about." But as I thought about that, did I? This World Cup was a worry spot, but nothing else was. I didn't have to worry about my father, or brother, or mother. It wasn't my responsibility.

I could worry about her. It could be me and her.

But could I? Should I?

"Yeah, sometimes it feels that way."

"Well, I'll see you out there." I gave Georgia a soft smile.

I had my earbuds in, and as I leaned against the wall, I slowly slid to the ground. This was when I craved what I knew I shouldn't. It was hard: I had been sober for so long but the longing was always there. I had hoped that it wouldn't. I had hoped that after a while it would pass.

But it never would. I had to come to terms with that.

We lined up and headed out to play the game. I could see my family in the crowd; Bindi and Eden beside each other, both wearing my jersey. I had longed for this for so long that now it didn't even seem real. My family was coming together. The people I knew I would and could always love. There was something so deep about the connection we were all recreating. It didn't feel raw. But it felt so real.

The game was cagey. We weren't able to create, but we were used to that. Possession was never our forte. We were stronger on the transition and now that Sam was back we had to use that. We had to think with our hearts and not our heads.

But they still scored first.

It was a good goal from Ella Toone. She got it too easily in the box and curled it past Macca. It was a rough goal to concede but there was still much of the game left. We had Tony, 11 players, and a dream, and that was all we needed.

Come the second half, we felt the magic. It came alive.

I dispossessed Alessia in our half, before passing it up to Sam. I ran as quickly as I could but before I had even reached halfway, she shot. It flew through the air.

It was in.

It was a goal.

It was the goal of the tournament.

Goal of the century.

It was perfect. It was everything. It led our nation to believe.

We heard the roars not just in the stadium, but around the country. All of Australia had been waiting for this moment.

I ran over to Sam, jumped on her, and kissed her cheek. The elation was like none other. It ran through our veins.

It was everything, but more.

The game continued, and even though we thought we had a chance... England were too good.

Two goals from England ended our World Cup dream. But it started a different one instead. The legacy we left was greater than the one we lost. We knew that.

We had to know that.

When the whistle blew, I fell to the ground. The feelings that ran through me were mixed, but I couldn't feel my heart. I felt my bones and limbs numb to the feelings. As all the England girls were celebrating, the hurt was too much. Lotte came over to me, wrapping her arms around my body.

"I'm so proud of you," she said to me.

"Thanks, darling," I said to her. "But go." She smiled at me, before going off to her teammates to continue the celebrations.

Hayley came beside me, and we sat on the pitch for a little while. Tony came over, patting us on the back, before knowing he should leave us be. I didn't want to talk. The silence between Hayley and me was calming. It was peaceful. Too much talk would hurt more than nothing at all.

We had a quick team talk before I went over to my sisters. They both grabbed me, hugging me close. I was leaning over the barricade and even though my stomach was being squished, I didn't care.

"You did everything you could," they said to me.

"But it wasn't enough," I replied back, nearly crying.

"We are so proud of." I felt a small hand touch mine, and I looked to see Gi pushing her way past her mum, her Hayley ribbon tied in her hair. I picked her up over the railing, hugging her so tight, finding comfort in my niece.

"I love you, Aunty Tippy."

"I love you too."

After a while, all the girls started to head inside. Fans started to leave the stadium, and the English celebrations were moved indoors. I couldn't go inside though. Not yet.

I needed a moment. I walked myself out into the middle of the pitch, lying on the grass. I wanted to be here on Sunday. I wanted to be here for the final. I wanted to play on this pitch and lift the trophy in front of Australia. But that's not what happened. And that was not what would happen.

I leaned backward, looking up at the sky. The sky was darker than usual; the clouds hiding any stars that would hide behind it.

As I lay, I felt a body come beside me. I looked behind to see her. She wasn't supposed to be here, but she didn't care. She had a lanyard that made it look like she had permission but we both knew spectators were not supposed to get down here. But I didn't say anything. I needed this. I needed her.

Neither of us spoke. Leah just sat beside me, and I moved to sit up. She held my hand, and I laid my head on her shoulder. Her arm wrapped around my waist, and she kissed the top of my head.

There was something calming about her, more than anyone else.

The atmosphere around us was heavy. It felt like the world was bearing down on us both, but with her, it felt lighter. Life felt better. What just happened didn't seem so bad. It didn't hurt as much.

And even though I knew I had things I had to do, and things to fix, maybe doing them with her was how it was supposed to be all along. 

note:

- this hurt more than it should've 

- sometimes I miss the indi harrison trilogy wwc winner... 

- anyways... nearly finished xx 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

679K 33.5K 24
↳ ❝ [ ILLUSION ] ❞ ━ yandere hazbin hotel x fem! reader ━ yandere helluva boss x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, a powerful d...
113K 2.5K 29
How will it go when a young talent joins Arsenal and meets another young talent already on the team?
597K 9.7K 109
A story of when an aspiring music artist meets the England captain. But is everything as written in the stars as they think? No sexualisation is pres...
15.5K 206 21
When Daan does her last show in Wembley an all to familiar face pops up. Will she has the courage to confront her or will she let the ocean eyes be.