WHATEVER IT TAKES โ€ข THE MAZE...

By -astrolovingx

we never had to say how we felt, we both had a mutual understanding we loved each other and that was enough... More

oo, (whatever it takes)
oo , (playlist)
ooo , (it begins.)
oo1 , (caged in.)
oo2 , (not alone anymore.)
oo3 , (trust.)
oo4 , (found family.)
oo5 , (blondie.)
oo6 , (nerves.)
oo8 , (oblivious idiots.)
(the maze runner)
oo9 , (questions.)
o1o , (tension.)
o11 , (stone walls.)
o12 , (redamancy.)
o13 , (children.)
o14 , (temper.)
o15 , (heartache.)
o16 , (comfort.)
o17 , (favourites.)
o18 , (losses.)
o19 , (hello.)
o2o , (enter the maze.)
o21 , (rescued?)
book 2.

oo7 , (flame.)

1.5K 92 83
By -astrolovingx

◤━━━━━━━━━━━◥

𝘏𝘪𝘴 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳𝘴 𝘴𝘭𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘭𝘺 𝘴𝘤𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘥 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘴𝘤𝘢𝘭𝘱 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘦 𝘮𝘦𝘭𝘵𝘦𝘥 𝘳𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘸𝘰𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘥
'𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘸𝘢𝘺 𝘐 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘮𝘢𝘯 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦'

◣━━━━━━━━━━━◢

george you know, dies in the first half of the chapter so blood, impaling, rope, being tied up, violence, and vomit near the end/middle of the chapter.

also fluff and omfg gay besties.

Watching George struggle against the tree, his arms tied up and his face no calmer than it was earlier that day. The indent from the rope and the blood beading up against the skin around it from the rope burn.

Arthur stood a bit behind Alby as he talked to George who screamed, the froth excreting from his mouth.

Alby's face was pained as he tried to do what Arthur had done hours earlier only to get the same response. Luckily the boy wasn't physically attacked by the crazed boy but the fate of the boy in front of them lay in Alby's hands.

"Alby I can do it. You don't have to." The boy in front wasn't having it, he held up his hand to silence Arthur's words and shook his head.

"No. I'm in charge of this glade and this happened under my control. It's under no fault other than my own." The boys fell silent after, as Alby picked up a wooden spear and held onto it tightly.

"George, are you still with us?" There was no response apart from a guttural scream George let out as his head thrashed around so hard Alby could have sworn he heard a crack.

Minho watched with an expressionless face as Alby readied the spear, his heart hurting as he watched the thing his friend become something he couldn't recognise. Unable to watch as Alby positioned the spear and pointed it.

Arthur watched with halted breath as the spear pierced through George's chest with a sickening crunch his ribcage was rapidly destroyed. The boy's head immediately dropped and he just lay there. Suspended mid-air and then came the realisation that he was dead.

George. The blonde sweetheart who only tried his best is dead.

Arthur approached the body as Alby blankly stared at what was formerly George and looked back to his friends. "We should bury him. It's what he deserves." His voice was thick and pained as he looked at George who was paling fast.

"Yeah, that sounds like a good idea." Arthur wasn't quite sure who talked but with firm hands, he could tell where Minho's grasped onto his shoulder and he was pulled backwards, away from the pale body which he couldn't drag his eyes away from.

The brunette wasn't sure how long he had not been paying attention because Alby was now holding a shovel in front of him and nodding the Minho who must have been talking.

Grasping the shovel firmly in his hand he turned towards the area Newt was already looking, having been leaning against a tree with his good leg resting on the ground. Departing from Minho who didn't even look away from Alby, he moved towards where George normally sat.

With one last glance towards George, he began digging.

Arthur had set himself down on the floor in front of the campfire, his back resting against the log as he let out a near-silent sigh and wiped his eyes. He couldn't sleep, his mind too busy to even think about letting himself rest as Georges's head popped up in his mind, the expressionless face that held so strongly from the moment of death.

Bringing his fingernails up to his mouth he anxiously bit at them, exposing the top of his fingers from where they had gotten long. He was so focused on his task that he didn't notice Newt sitting on the log next to Arthur as he stared at the golden glow of the campfire.

Arthur let his head fall onto Newt's knee as soon as he had settled, his hair drifted over his eyes as he focused on the remaining dirt under his fingernails which he had now turned to picking out, desperate for any reminder of what went down earlier to to eradicated from him.

The blonde boy could tell he was anxious, something he couldn't be blamed for after the events of today. In the corner of his eye, he could see the boy moving his hands about and Newt could guess the hair on his face probably didn't help with the issue. With a gentle hand, he reached his hand forward and brushed Arthur's hair off his face causing him to pause digging and destroying his nails and sit still.

Newt, not realising that Arthur had paused continued to brush his hair with his finger, teasing out the knots and twisting the strands between in fingers.

'Huh.' He didn't realise the colour of Arthur's hair before. Didn't pay too much attention to it but as he looked down at his friend he noticed the different types of brown in his hair and the firelight.

Newt looked at the distracted Arthur's face from where he sat with his head leant against Newt's leg, his lips quirked up into the smallest smile, the line between his eyebrows that the blonde boy had a small urge to smooth out.

Arthur had now just given up on trying to focus on the dirt under his nails having already gotten the majority out and just settled more against his friend's leg and focused his gaze on the fire. Both of them them so absorbed in what they were doing that Newt didn't realise when Arthur had fallen asleep. When the light snoring started to come from Arthur he blinked slightly, unaware of how long it had been.

Not stopping his movements he continued brushing Arthur's hair before looking towards the hammocks with a frown wondering how he was going to move him. With a heaving sigh, Newt removed his hand from his hair causing Arthur to shift and grumble under his breath.

"What's happening?" The brunette's words were slurred as he tried to get his words straight. Newt having been in a situation like this in the Medhut only shook his head with a smile and patted his shoulder.

Newt looked at him, taking in his clouded-over eyes and screwed-up face as he held in a yawn before speaking fondly. "Yeah, we are going to bed." Arthur nodded at his words and rubbed his eyes as he stumbled to a standing, unaware of the indent on his cheek that had been welded onto there.

With a stretch Arthur was walking his way back to his hammock with Newt close behind him, placing a hand on his upper back whenever he stumbled and if anyone saw the pink that dusted his cheeks it was because of the heat he had previously sat in front or even his exhaustion. In his sleep-riddled mind, he was just glad Newt was none the wiser.

"A Track-Hoe?" Arthur placed his hands on his hips as he stared down Newt and Alby with his eyebrow raised. "You calling yourself a hoe Newt?"

Time passed fast, with Arthur constantly running and spending time with everyone when he came back. After the first year, Arthur still places his line on the tally wall but he doesn't like to think about the total amount of days he's been here. Makes him feel old

"No, are you calling me a hoe?" Newt raised his eyebrow at Arthur who tilted his head in faux thought before nodding causing Newt's eyebrows to raise.

"I am yeah. You're great though" The blonde boy rolled his eyes at Arthur with a small smile playing on his lips. Alby sighed before shaking his head at the two boys and patting Newt's back with a sympathetic smile.

"Don't let Arthur distract you Newt." Alby gave the two a look before walking off to go make sure everything else was in order, and because he was unable to deal with Arthur's teasing. 

"Yeah, don't let me distract you Newt!" Arthur was speaking through laughter as he was slapped on the back by Minho who dramatically winked at Newt. 

"Impossible Arthur, you distract everyone." Minho was enjoying whatever was going on between Newt and Arthur. It provided good entertainment when he was bored, which was quite often and the blonde boy always got riled up so easily. Arthur was harder to embarrass but never produced a boring result when he was.

"Fuck off Minho, I'm great company." The boy made a disbelieving noise.

"Sure... Are you planning on skipping leg day?" Minho moves round from behind Arthur who looks at him through the corner of his eye before turning back to Newt.

"Go do leg day, I'll 'be a hoe' in the gardens." He chuckled at Arthur who rolled his eyes at the boy before holding his hands up in a surrender position.

"Alright, I'll see you when I get back Blondie." The brunette backed away a few steps before jogging off leaving Minho and Newt behind.

"Dude." 

"Shut up, go run." 

Newt walked through the Glade, keeping an eye on everything as he passed. He noticed Gally in the corner of his eye who was working on another building that the blonde boy couldn't quite place what it was. He spotted a few other Gladers walking along the Glade on their way towards their jobs and sighed. It had been over eight months since he got here and how far it had come still baffled him.

"Arthur back yet mate?" Alby spoke from behind him and Newt shook his head, glancing back towards the Maze where Arthur had yet to emerge from.

"No, he hasn't." He tore his gaze away from the opening only to see Alby making his way towards it.

Newt immediately started following, a bit slower than Alby. "He should be back, why isn't he back?" The questions came rapid fire from the blonde boy but it took a while to actually get a response from the older male who looked annoyed.

"Typically, as you know he just stays out late. Cuts it close." Alby folded his arms as he stood in front of the maze next to Minho who was looking at the sky.

"He wanted to go separate today. Alby it's about to close." Minho tapped his foot and searched with his eyes before pointing to something. "I see him!" 

There Arthur was, sprinting as he looked behind him. The signature clicking loud and clearer than it ever had been.

The doors began inching closed and Alby was taken back to the first time Arthur did this the same worry encompassed his gut as more gladers gathered to watch and everyone was on the edge of their toes.

Right before they sealed shut Arthur slid through the doors and into the Glade, falling onto the floor, his chest heaving and hair plastered to his forehead. His head bowed down as he gagged. Sensing what was going to happen, Alby began telling everyone to leave While Minho pat his back. 

tw vomit mentioned 

The remainder of the lunch he was given for the Maze spewed out onto the grassy floor. He took a deep breath before being cut off again by another wave of nausea sent him back towards the floor. 

After gasping for what felt like hours Arthur finally muttered the first words he had done since he threw himself back into the glade. 

"I fucking saw one."

Arthur lay in a Med-Bed, his face covered in scratches and a bandage wrapped around his waist. For the first time, Newt sat in the chair next to him. 

Arthur was picking at the bandage around his waist, his top shredded and destroyed so he just just covered by the bandage until they could find a replacement. He could feel Newt's eyes drilling into him every now and again.

"What." The brunette muttered his voice grumpy and tired as he side glanced at the boy. He had been smothered to death by Alby and Zart, typing him so tight in bandages he might as well have been a mummy and his favourite shirt was ruined. 

"Stop picking it at, you've started to bleed again." Newt grasped Arthur's hand that was picking at the bandage and held it. With a huff, Arthur left it alone and gripped Newt's hand back.

After a while Alby comes back with Arthur's spare shirt and with a whine he puts it on, the cold slightly releasing its hold on him. Once it was placed on and he had painfully laid back down he held out his hand for Newt to grasp it again with a playful smile shot his way.

"You need to come back earlier Arthur, that's not a request." 

Arthur gritted his jaw. "I was coming back early. I tried to but it cornered for me! I told you this!" Newt gave his hand a warning squeeze when his voice raised.

"I know. I'll leave you be." Alby gave a brief nod before placing a hand on Arthur's shoulder and looking at Newt. "Watch him." 

Arthur let out a long groan of frustration as Alby left before shifting, his bandages digging into his side. "You gotta be nice Artie, You'll set a bad example." Newt rubbed his thumb over Arthur's knuckles, dusting over each individual creasing.

"I'll write it down that nearly getting killed actually brings more attention to me rather than less. Try not to do it next time." The brunette grumbled as he turned his head slightly to face Newt who rolled his eyes at Arthur. 

"Right, because you do this daily obviously" Arthur shrugged at the boy's sarcastic response before yawning, resisting the urge to stretch his arms that had been cramped up in one position.

The constant talking gets slower before eventually coming to a pause. There Arthur was, sprawled as much as he could be on the Med-Bed, his mouth slightly gaping and snores filling the air around him. His hair was messed up somehow and flopped over his face as he slept.

With a glance at the sleeping boy Newt stood, having plans to come back later but having to get back to his job for now. He leaned over Arthur and brushed his hair back from his forehead before placing a short kiss on his forehead and walking out.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

542 12 8
Newt was dearly hoping for a miracle to get them out of the Maze, Thomas just wanted an easy way out. In where one thing changed everything except th...
115K 4.3K 28
"I love you, Dylan. I love you more than you'll ever know." Thomas has been in love with his best friend for years now. He also secretly struggles w...
25.4K 265 86
requests very limited, if you request don't expect an answer right away and don't expect a yes, I will barely be active anymore!! Thanks this book is...
1.7K 75 25
Serendipity: (n.) finding something beautiful without looking for it. "Then I saw you. You were my serendipity." (newtxoc) (ocxoc)