Breaker, Broken | Jorah Mormo...

By SprintingFox

The sweet butterfly of House Targaryen narrowly escaped with her life as the rebellion came to an end. Hidden... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Final Author's Note

Chapter 10

496 25 0
By SprintingFox

She was part of the fight now.

Saera and Jorah against five men. A Meereenese, a Dothraki, a Braavosi, a Summer Islander, and a Northern wilding.

Perhaps this had been a bad idea.

"What are you doing?" cried Jorah as she swung her spear right into the Meereenese Champion's head, helping the Dothraki warrior as Ser Jorah was attacked by the Braavosi.

"I am not letting you die for this!" said Saera, twirling the spear and stabbing the Dothraki warrior in the throat and swinging herself on the spear as he fell to kick the Meereenese, knocking him to the floor.

He caught her leg, bringing her down with him. She threw the arakh and spear side, clawing at his face and kicking like a feral cat as he headbutted her when tried to reach for his sword. Her vision blurred, ears ringing and arms feeling weak. Instead, she waited for him to lift his body, grabbing her knife and tilting it up just enough to stab into his gut. He stabbed the sword into the dirt right beside her head, giving her an open to flip them over, landing on top of him and stabbing the knife as hard as she could into his skull.

She ripped it back out, staggering to her feet. She threw the knife at the Northern wilding, who was locked in battle with the Summer Islander, nicking his arm and giving the latter the advantage he needed to slit the wildling's throat.

Ser Jorah was on the ground several feet away, having been hit hard in the face with the end of the Bravoosi's much larger and heavier spear. He struggled to get back up as Saera stepped over the now-dead Dothraki, picking her spear back up to challenge the Summer Islander, who bared his teeth like a rat.

He was much faster than the bulkier Meereenese man, and certainly wearing more armor than the Dothraki had been. She tried to think of it as another practice session. She'd fought large and small men, slow and quick men, bare and fully-armored men. This was no different.

This, she had to win.

She charged, slamming her spear upward, measuring how fast he responded, and whether his sword got caught against her spear or not. It was a very thin blade, easily locking into the small crevices made on her spear over time. If she got it in just the right spot, he'd not be able to move his sword off as easily– he'd need to slide it down or up to release it.

Saera heard Jorah's grunts, watched him be choked from the corner of her eye. She couldn't afford to let it hinder her progress. The Summer Islander was twirling his sword almost as fast as she spun her spear around her body, turning lightly on her feet like a dancer, confusing him and striking at the perfect moment. She thrust the spear into his face, and it seemed this angle was perfect– his blade got stuck against a broken piece of wood on the hilt.

She swung the spear back toward herself, pulling him and the snagged sword close enough that she could grip its hilt over his hand, pushing it into his shoulder as she headbutted him, then ripped the sword away, leaving him weaponless and at her mercy. She threw the spear right into his chest, and he fell just as Ser Jorah bested the Braavosi, mouth and cheek bleeding, but otherwise fairly unharmed.

"Come here," she said, catching him as he stumbled, holding his head. She used her sleeve to wipe the blood off, eyebrows furrowing as he reached out to touch her nose, the stinging only just becoming noticeable. Once she headbutted someone, once she was headbutted. Like a fool, she broke her nose.

"Why would you do that?" he said, the gate opening behind them. Two more fighters had been released, each holding swords.

She stared at him and smiled. "What, you really think I'd let you die when I've yet to confirm if you're in love with me or not?"

"You can end this!" she heard Tyrion plead to Daenerys as the warriors began to run toward them.

"She cannot," said Hizdahr.

Daenerys chose not to even try.

"Here," said Saera, handing Ser Jorah her spear. "I think I may have an idea."

She looked back at Daario, who was watching with great interest. She waited for one of the warriors to draw nearer, then pretended she was sprinting toward him. She kicked a mound of dirt into his eyes, then ducked to the side with her other leg out, twirling and tripping him so he fell flat onto his face. She fell onto his back, lodging her last knife into the back of his neck.

Ser Jorah was already entertaining the other man, having abandoned Saera's spear. She retrieved it, joining in the fray as the man managed to cut the back of Ser Jorah's thighs. She waited for Jorah to duck down, groaning in pain, to swing the spear as hard as she could, letting it crash into the warrior's skull.

He stumbled, leaning down just as Ser Jorah got up, giving him an opening to knee the man in the face, slamming the hilt of his sword onto his temples. Saera jumped, bringing the point of the spear into the man's shoulder, forcing him to the ground, where she twisted it, keeping him there for Jorah to cut off his head.

They both turned to the stage, a man in a golden mask suddenly approaching Daenerys. Jorah ripped Saera's spear out of the dead warrior and flung it in the Queen's direction. Daario thought he was aiming it at her, and brought her onto the ground.

The Son of the Harpy fell behind them, dead. The crowd began to scream, several figures rising with masks, snuck all around the stadium.

There were too many of them.

"Protect your Queen!" Daario yelled to the Unsullied guards.

The Sons of the Harpy had begun to kill the spectators at random. Jorah retrieved his sword, rushing forward. Saera was close behind, leaping onto the stage and retrieving her spear from the dead body, beginning to fight with another Son of the Harpy who'd been approaching them.

"Your Grace, I know a way out!" cried Hizdahr, now packing. Before he could say where, two Harpies pulled him off the stage, stabbing him repeatedly in the chest.

"Stay with Daenerys!" Saera yelled at Tyrion, kicking the Harpy she fought in the abdomen, tossing him into the pit. "Jorah, get them out!"

"Not without you," he said, grabbing Daenerys and Missandei. Tyrion had managed to stab at the Harpy as he tried to climb back onto the stage. "Come, this way!"

They rushed to one of the side exists, surrounded by Unsullied who were spreading out more and more, having no choice but to fight the Harpies who were flooding toward them.

The exit was blocked just as they approached. "There's too many of them!" said Saera furiously as more Harpies arrived from outside the stadium. The Unsullied had formed a protective circle around them, leaving them in the center of the pit. "We need the fucking dragons! We need the dragons!"

Daenerys began to pant heavily, looking at Saera, as if saying with her eyes that she'd been right: they never should have put them away.

"Daenerys," said Saera sharply. "Listen to me. You may not have bonded formally with any of them but Drogon willrespond. He has to. He has been closest to you, he is free, you must try. Show him what you feel. Call to him."

"How do I–?"

"Call to him!"

She was still panicking, and the Harpies were already breaking through the circle. She couldn't wait for her anymore. She, Jorah, and Daario began to fight whoever approached them, trying to keep Missandei and Daenerys from being hit.

There was a sudden screech overhead, and a burst of flames. Drogon flew through the fire, descending upon the stadium. Many of the Harpies immediately began to run away, but one was not fast enough, and Drogon grabbed him in his mouth, ripping him to shreds.

He roared, burning anyone else who lingered with a golden mask.

A spear flew out of nowhere, landing in the dragon's neck. He ignored it, spinning around and trying to burn more.

Saera was still cutting down any other man that came, unable to focus as Daenerys tried to rip the spears out. He screeched right in her face, in a great deal of pain because of all the new spears being tossed at him.

She stopped as Daenerys suddenly climbed onto Drogon's back, whispering, "Soves." (T: Fly.)

He struggled to take off, barreling right toward them, and causing them all to throw themselves off to the side. Then, he ascended, carrying her high and out of the stadium.

The majority of the Harpies had already been burned to a crisp. Those that remained were being taken care of by the Unsullied and Dothraki who remained, leaving them a clear path at the main doors to evacuate Missandei and Tyrion. They rushed out, returning to the pyramid at top speed.

"How are you?" asked Saera, sitting on the bottom steps of Daenerys's throne, cleaning Jorah's face with a wet cloth.

"Fine," he promised. "You–" he examined a few cuts on her arms. "Superficial wounds. You're alright."

"I am," she swore. "We're alright. Daenerys will return any minute."

He ignored the fact that Daario and Tyrion were nursing their own wounds behind him. Cupping her face, he squeezed her cheeks together, shaking his head, "You did something stupid, Princess. Why would you–?"

She moved his hands away. "I didn't want to lose you for a reason as stupid as that," she argued. "What were youthinking?!"

"I couldn't give up," he said. "I had to come back to you. I swore I would serve her and I swore I would protect you both. I swore I would return. Ser Barristan..."

"I know," she whispered sadly.

The doors opened, and they leapt up expecting to see Daenerys, but it was Missandei with Grey Worm. "Jorah the Andal," he said in surprise, bandages around his waist, injuries almost entirely healed.

"Turgon Nudha," said Jorah.

"You should not be here," said Grey Worm.

"No," agreed Daario. "But he is."

"Our Queen ordered him exiled from city."

"He saved her life today from a Harpy who was probably going to stab her in the throat," said Saera. "He stays."

"Sa dreji," said Missandei. "Si eksin murghi ynones ji... byka vala." (T: It's true. And I would be dead if not for the... little man.)

"Krubo," said Tyrion. "Nyke pasan kesor udir drejor issa. Munna, nya Valyrio mirri pungilla issa." (T: Dwarf. I believe that's the word. Apologies, my Valyrian is a bit nostril.)

Missandei smiled. "Mirri puñila." (T: A bit rusty.)

He repeated, "Mirri puñila." (T: A bit rusty.)

"I am sorry," said Grey Worm. "Sorry I not there to fight for our Queen."

"You missed a good scrap," said Daario.

"None of that matters now," said Ser Jorah. "The longer we sit here bantering, the longer Daenerys is out there in the wilderness."

"Surely Drogon would bring her back?" said Saera.

"The dragon headed north," said Tyrion. "If she is not visible in the sky by now... we will need to go north to find her."

Ser Jorah scoffed. "We? You're a Lannister. The Queen intends to remove your family from power."

"And I intend to help her do it."

"You've been here for how many days now? I've fought for her for years. Since she was little more than a child."

"You betrayed her!"

"Careful now..."

"And she exiled you– twice, I believe."

"The second time thanks to you."

"Don't blame me for your crimes, Mormont."

"Shut up, both of you!" said Saera. "My sister is out there alone, and if you're right, if we need to find her because Drogon isn't going to bring her back..." her voice quivered, "The longer we're here arguing the longer she's out there alone. She doesn't know how to fight! Drogon is injured!"

"Our Queen did exile Jorah," said Daario to finish it off. "And Jorah saved her life. Perhaps she feels differently about him now, perhaps not. The only way we'll know is if we ask her."

"Fine, fine," said Tyrion. "He may join us as long as he promises not to kill me in my sleep."

"If I ever kill you," said Jorah, "your eyes will be wide open."

"Oh, gods," said Saera, frustrated. "Tyrion, you're not going. You may have killed a Harpy today but you've no experience tracking and you don't know enough about fighting. You must stay here– she's chosen you as your Hand so you will rule in Meereen until we are back."

"We?" said Ser Jorah. "Saera, no."

"What do you mean 'no?'"

"You cannot come! It is too dangerous!"

"I just killed loads of men and have done so before. I'm the danger out there. Besides, I'm with the two of you! Between the three of us, we can kill anyone who comes. Either way, my plan was not to go on foot. I will fly on Viserion. The best way to find a dragon is with another dragon. One that recognizes both his brother and his mother."

"You haven't a saddle, there is no guarantee you won't fall–"

"Daenerys didn't have a saddle either! She could have plummeted down thousands of feet already!"

Daario clapped his hands loudly. "No. You are the Queen's only heir. She has never sent you out of the city before and she wouldn't want to do that now. And she'd like it even less if you flew on her dragon."

"My dragon," she said coldly. "Viserion is mine, too. She may have birthed him but I claimed him."

"None of us has experience governing a city except for him," said Daario, pointing at Tyrion. "And the only one who was here the entire time and was attempting to appease the Meereenese fully was you. You must hold the seat in her stead."

She knew what he really meant– neither he nor Jorah trusted Tyrion not to take over the city. Tyrion would advise her but Saera would hold the seat of her sister.

Not to mention they wouldn't accidentally let her die and have to deal with whatever Daenerys's reaction might be. No one was eager to find out, but they seemed convinced she wouldn't want Saera to get hurt. She tried to take that as a good sign, especially from Daario.

"I'll come with you," offered Grey Worm. "I'll find our Queen."

"You are not strong enough to go anywhere," said Missandei, caressing his arm gently.

"I am!"

"He is," said Daario. "He's the toughest man with no balls I've ever met. But you still can't go. The people believe in you, they know you also speak for the Queen, not to mention you command the Unsullied."

"It's true," said Missandei. "Only the Unsullied can keep the peace in Meereen. If you leave, half this city will consume the other half."

Daario added, "And Missandei. Our Queen trusts no one more than Missandei. Certainly not me. The Queen's closest confidant, the Commander of the Unsullied, and a dwarf with a scarred face will both guard and advise the Princess in setting things right. Good fortune, my friends. Meereen is ancient and glorious. Try not to ruin her."

Saera stared at Jorah, who was definitely not opposed to this. He opted for whatever choice left Saera the safest. "We won't be gone long," he promised. "You have the Queen's blood, you have the fight of a dragon. Use it. Bring peace. By the time she returns..."

She knew what he wanted to say, but wouldn't in front of Missandei and Grey Worm.

Maybe Meereen would be better off if someone actually listened to Saera even just a few times. Maybe when Daenerys returned and saw it in such good condition, she would appreciate her sister.

Maybe they could give one more try to putting this mess behind them.

They got to work as soon as Daario and Jorah had set off on their horses, not sure where they were going, only that they needed to head north if they had any hope of finding Daenerys.

"If we want to fix everything, it won't happen overnight," said Saera, standing over the table once Missandei, Grey Worm, and Tyrion had sat down. They had been joined by an additional member– Varys the Spider, who had come to speak with Tyrion and decided to stay and help in the name of making Daenerys the ruler in Westeros. She hoped this would be sufficient to start making reparations. "This will take months, probably years to be fully implemented. We cannot hope to fix anything fully in the time Daenerys is gone but we will try. We'll make our best effort to stop the conflict in Meereen and also–"

She gestued to Varys, "Deal with the disturbing news we've received about the masters retaking Astapor and Yunkai and reverting the whole of Slaver's Bay to slavery. I believe one of the many things we must consider is why this is all happening. What is it that is driving people to participate in insurgencies and seize power again? In an ideal world we could provide everyone with the resources they needed so they didn't have to resort to this.

"Meereen has fallen into a state of civil war. The Sons of the Harpy do not like the freedmen having their independence. With Yunkai and Astapor– we arrived in each city and took both their source of profit and tried to strip away the power the masters had. We either went too far or didn't do enough. When we settled here, the old Ghiscari culture was practically destroyed and we attempted to impose Westerosi customs while suppressing the desires of the people who live here. And not everyone here is Meereenese, even less are truly of the Ghiscari culture– they've adopted it because they were brought here from all over Essos.

"By blood, Daenerys and I are Valyrian. We share a connection with this land. But by birth we are Westerosi and we are outsiders. We cannot hope to fix anything without indulging those who do know this land. We cannot continue to push our norms over theirs. And whatever we do, we cannot let it fall back into a form of slavery. We are not better than anyone here just because we have Valyrian ancestors and dragons. But we can be smarter and more efficient."

She let her fingers drift over the map of Meereen. "We need to root out all the Sons of the Harpy. Daario Naharis once had the idea of scouring the city, rooting everyone out. I do propose we do that. Once we've searched an area, have those who remain be sent to a relief shelter where they'll be provided food in the meantime. We might also consider offering rewards for anyone who turns in a Son of the Harpy. For their punishment we can pose this– exile or a trial. If they are exiled, they can no longer reside anywhere in Slaver's Bay. If they choose a trial and are found guilty by a neutral council, they will be beheaded. But if they can prove– as many might be able to– that they were manipulated or tricked into this because they needed support in the form of clothes, food, or money... then they may be freed with certain restrictions.

"We learned today of the ships being set on fire and writing on the walls that says 'Mhysa is a master.' This has given me an idea we may want to entertain, regarding those who are here and adopted the culture after being brought from their native lands. Gather information from where everyone is from and give everyone the resources to go back if they wish.Money, supplies, maybe even ships– once we replace what we lost– that will transport them back to their homeland if they desire that more. Those who stay can help us here.

"All those who exist here have some sort of trade. I'd like– once we have eliminated as many Harpies as we can– to establish a system where those with certain skills are grouped together to innovate, improve, and provide for the city– and in the future once we've had sufficient time– so everyone will have what they need right here. We will eventually focus on finding something profitable enough to replace the income that came from slavery. But with this I hope we can find a way to encourage a community that helps each other; it cannot survive if a pillar falls.

"The slavers cannot have power anymore– anywhere. They will continue seeking profit and will return to the slave trade, as they already have in Yunkai and Astapor. We need to strip that power away. Leave them with just enough funds so they are like everyone else and use that money to provide the ships we need for trips back to homelands or to trade whatever we manage to harvest and build with other regions. If we have leftover money, we can distribute it through households as needed, but what might matter most, I think, is making sure the slavers have no more power. Otherwise they will keep finding ways to crawl back out of their crevices. They, too, can enter the trade system and have a job to provide for the community or they may also choose to go elsewhere outside of Slaver's Bay.

"The important thing is that we offer solutions for every problem we encounter instead of just deciding with an iron fist what should and shouldn't be done. It is not entirely on us to set every single rule. We need to hear what the people want, we need to acknowledge their experience and their traditions too. I wish for us to form a secondary council for Meereen, Yunkai, and Astapor, each composed of natives there who understand and appreciate the culture and is composed of adults of several age groups with a wide range of experience and wisdom. We should hear what they have to say and what they recommend and have them– to reiterate– be a secondary force of leadership.

"In Astapor, we left them with no good leaders and no army. I say we start a program with those here and find as many native Astapori as we can who wish to return and serve so we can give the city back even a small ounce of a military force that will be trained and taught to enforce rules and maintain order. If Astapor had had any soldiers left, they would not have been overthrown so easily by a butcher. Any forces we gather here to go back will retake it with ease because they still have no military; but we must act fast. I propose the primary leadership be a council consisting of two scholars of some sort, two healers, and a priest. They can implement the same systems of trades to provide for the community and recruit more citizens to the military to protect the city.

"In Yunkai we let the masters live and they quickly regained control both times as soon as we were gone. First it was after Daenerys brought us here and then after Hizdahr zo Loraq returned with Daario and the Second Sons. They, too, need a military force to police the city and a similar two councils to keep slavery out. Additionally, with them and here in Meereen, we need to take the masters and offer them that same choice of exile or staying here and providing with the rest of the citizens. Make sure no one has that magnitude of power because of wealth. Instead the councils will prevail and new members will be chosen by the people.

"Everyone should be encouraged to help one another; I think this will not be difficult, I've seen many of them aid one another when they are hurt or need help making something that will benefit their families. All criminals should be given a trial. If they are thieves, we should punish them with serving the councils as needed for a time and also determining why they stole and what it is they feel they don't have; if it is out of greed we will find a way to teach them a new way of viewing the world. Those who fight without cause or attempt to destroy property will be given a choice of exile from Slaver's Bay or service to their community as decided by the council. As for those found guilty of rape and murder– particularly if the latter wasn't in self-defense– they should bebeheaded."

She let out a slow breath, closing her eyes. "We need to be better about civilian concerns as well. I intend to sit an audience from dawn to dusk every day to listen to concerns and I will try to be as reasonable as I can be. I invite you all to either comment now on what I've said or take the night to think and tell me your thoughts in the morning. Together, we can make this work. It will be a long process but if we start it... if we have a good plan in place by the time my sister returns... I truly believe we can prevent the return of slavery and we will create a new and better order in Slaver's Bay. One where people are safe, feel respected, and have what they need to survive so they don't have to resort to extremes."

No one seemed to have anything to say. Saera sank down tiredly. "If that is all, then thank you... you are dismissed."

She had her work cut out for her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45.4K 1.3K 35
"Blood of the Old runs thick... the winds of change will stir..." Why the Doom of Valyria occurred had been a mystery to all across Essos and Westero...
18K 578 15
𝘖𝘯𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘶𝘭 𝘣𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘵𝘸𝘰. 𝘚𝘪𝘭𝘷𝘦𝘳 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘝𝘪𝘰𝘭𝘦𝘵 𝘥𝘳𝘢𝘨𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘳𝘶𝘭𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘰𝘳 𝘣𝘶𝘳𝘯 𝘢𝘭𝘭. 𝘋𝘳𝘢𝘨𝘰𝘯𝘴...
264K 9.5K 68
Daemon and Rhaenyra's night at the pleasure house had consequences. Viserys disinherits Rhaenyra when she refuses to marry Laenor and gives Daemon an...
41.7K 1.5K 18
𝐉𝐀𝐂𝐀𝐄𝐑𝐘𝐒 𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐀𝐑𝐘𝐄𝐍 descendant of Rhaenyra Targaryen, was adopted by Lord Ned Stark and brought to Winterfell. As the years went by...