NEOphyte || TCF/LCF

By aaaki-kun

Ah, being transmigrated in a novel as a small villain that's destined to die... Okay, cliche. But I don't car... More

1 || surprise surprise
3 || followers
4 || trouble
5 || gathering
6 || lies
7 || punishment
8 || ignorance
9 || peek-a-boo
10 || royal capital
11 || pros and cons
12 || bare your teeth

2 || unaccounted for party

2.4K 204 68
By aaaki-kun

For the next few weeks, all that Neo did was go back and forth between the estate and the slums. The Viscount supported his decision to look after the people and sponsored money to bring Neo's plans to life. Under his leadership, the citizens of the slums who were first wary of his appearance, began to open up and trust him, seeing he had no ulterior objective. Currently, they all know him as a noble who is different from others who were struck with wealth.

Everywhere he goes, the common folk respond positively. They all yell things like 'My Saviour!' or 'You're a blessing to us!'. 

Neo shudders. 'I'm getting deja vu... Oh, right. There was that 'Young Master Silver Shield' incident. Maybe I should have taken the money and ran.'

The shabby place was soon being improved and slowly became another marketplace thanks to Neo's idea. He created a new pathway that increased the number of merchants that passed through. The territory slowly flourished, which caught the attention of many neighbouring counties.

'Of course, it wasn't like everyone could prosper. These people were just given a second chance, but some will still be stricken with unluckiness.' Neo sighed. 'Not even the most benevolent ruler could make everyone happy. If someone like that really existed, then they must be God.'

Then, who's responsible are those unfortunate people? It wasn't God, of course.

Neo silently sat by the river bank, watching the grass flowing in the wind and the lively ecosystem beneath the rippling water. He could feel someone nearby, and it was a familiar presence. It was the same child that bumped into him a few weeks before. Their appearance was still shabby, and nothing seemed to have improved. In fact, there were more injuries than anything. The boy stood nervously behind a tree, wondering if he should say what he wanted to.

"Come out."

Shocked, the boy immediately followed his words, quivering. Neo stood up and looked at him once before sighing.

"Aish. Don't you have more to wear? It's cold by the river." He took off his jacket, wrapped it around the boy, and kneeled down to look him right in the eye. "What's going on?"

Slowly, the boy who was comforted by the warmth started to sob uncontrollably. "The others... they bully me b-because I have no parents... They said that- that I should just die! Because no one— hic —no one cares a-about me anyway... Is that- hic, true, sir? Am I worthless?" His words became ridden with hiccups, his hands rubbing away at the tears dripping down like a waterfall.

Neo didn't know how to comfort a crying child, so he brought him into a hug and hushed his trembling voice.

"Hey, listen to me." Neo's voice turned mellow, stroking his head. "You exist because you were wanted. Why would you let someone else determine your self-worth? Don't you know yourself best?"

The child looked at his light caramel-coloured eyes, staring back with enough conviction for the child to believe his words.

Neo let him down and asked him for his name.

"It's Harley, sir..."

"Well, Harley. Next time they hurt you, punch back."

"...?"

"If you get strong enough, they won't ever try to hurt you again."

"Uh, yes! Understood!"

Harley was a little confused, but he's got the spirit.

-

Neo mentally punched himself a few times. Now that he's done it himself, he understands that sometimes, it's hard to avoid making relationships. It's like you have to do it, or else it'll be something you'll regret for the rest of your life. He thinks he understands Cale somewhat.

He sighed. There was also another bothersome thing to deal with.

On his desk was a letter, sent from Venion because of how well they've been doing recently. He sent an Invitation to a celebration party.

"Who knows what this punk is planning... I better come prepared."

So he did. Despite his well-dressed appearance (work by Dante), under his clothes were full of weapons he was familiar with in his past life. Of course, he would always prefer a sword or a bat more, but he supposed nifty assassin tools could do too. 

He remembered the flabbergasted face Dante had when he requested them.

"Young Master... You're going to a party, right?"

He chuckled ominously. Dante was really fun to tease because of his over-the-top reactions.

"What are you laughing at, brother...?" Someone beside Neo asked him, considering if he had gone mad or not. It was actually his little brother (air punch) that he took alongside him to this party. His name was Leo Tolls, and his appearance was similar to his mother with dirty blond hair and glistening green eyes.

Neo had questions. Why was everyone in this manhwa so damned pretty? Even when they were 2D, Cheonji admired the art style and how everyone seemed to be able to power three cities with their face glowing like that. It was more evident now that he was witnessing them in real life.

"It's nothing. Go meet up with your friends. Call me if something happens."

Hearing this, Leo immediately responded, "Okay, see you!" before rushing over to some people around the same age as him. 

"Yeah. Later." He looked around the revenue. It was sure grand, befitting of the Sten Family.

"There you are, my dear friend." A voice akin to a snake hissing crawled up his spine, and he turned around, coming face to face with the person he didn't want to meet the most.

"Greetings, Sir Venion."

"Now, that's no way for a friend to address another. Just call me Venion. We have come here to celebrate the prosperity that has struck your territory, isn't that right? I heard it was all thanks to you." With a smile etched on his face, Venion took wine glasses and poured some wine for the both of them. 

Muttering a thanks, Neo took a small sip. There was no way that Venion would dare to poison him, not in a crowd as large as this. He was more elaborate — everything had to be perfectly executed. 

"I wonder how you did such a feat? It's almost like a miracle for those peasants. How noble of you, even trying to hand the credit to your little brother."

Suddenly, Venion slung his arm over Neo's, and it almost felt like he was whispering poison into his ears. "Didn't I tell you specifically not to do anything? Is it that hard to follow a simple command?" The smile on his face turned frosty cold. "I'm disappointed, Neo Tolls. Are you simply asking for your family to forgo the Sten family?"

"...Of course not."

"Very well." His grasp loosened, and his smile reverted back to 'normal'. "Then, to rebuild our trust, you must carry out whatever task I assign to you next."

Neo wanted to punch him at this very moment, and in this body that he just started attempting magic with, there was a low chance that he could defeat Venion Sten. Neo has the skills and experience, but his power isn't the best. Despite how Venion looks, he has trained before. 'He'd do anything and everything to impress his father, it seems... tsk.'

Most importantly, Neo couldn't be bothered to pick a fight. He'd receive punishment later, so why would he muddle himself with that? He simply responded with affirmation. "Yes. I won't let you down."

"Good," Venion smirked and turned around, responding to the other guests of this party.

Neo sighed and dealt with his own share of nobles who admired his feats. They gave out gifts and engagement papers, those of which Neo declined.

'Political marriage is a no for me right now. It'll only restrain me.'

He grumbled, wishing to head home already.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

109K 7K 14
"You die, I die. You live, I live. That's how it goes, isn't it." White star smiled as Cale stood in front of him with the world tree branch. "If th...
6K 203 11
A good-looking young man was happily getting off work when an accident happened, resulting in the lost of his life. I guess I get to have an early to...
12.1K 878 16
❝ Polaroid of you writing in my room. ❞ Cale Henituse, a famous photographer, is falling in love with a writer who wants nothing but to live an...
20.9K 1.1K 56
If you are special, it's only natural that you'll get the gods' attention at some point of your life. That was what happened to Kim Rok Soo. At some...