Strange Birds

By tinybiird

|•ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ɢʜᴏꜱᴛ, ʏᴏᴜ'ʀᴇ ʟɪꜱᴛᴇɴɪɴɢ, ᴜɴʟɪᴋᴇ ᴍᴏꜱᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ᴍɪꜱꜱ ᴀ ᴛʜɪɴɢ, ʏᴏᴜ ꜱᴇᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴜᴛʜ ɪ ᴡᴀʟᴋ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴀʟʟꜱ ɪɴᴠɪ... More

•|• Home Room •|•
•|• Lesson Two •|•
•|• Lesson Three •|•
•|• Lesson Four •|•
•|• Lesson Five •|•
•|• Lesson Six •|•
•|• Lesson Seven •|•
•|• Lesson Eight •|•
•|• Lesson Nine •|•
•|• Lesson Ten •|•
•|• Lesson Eleven •|•

•|• Lesson One •|•

87 6 3
By tinybiird

Do you believe in the supernatural? With ghosts and ghouls, cursed objects, and spooky tales? Everyone has their own beliefs, their way of perceiving certain topics such as this whether they believe them real or not.

That is why the tales regarding the school are simply rumors. Bent and willed until they create something far more, something greater than the imagination of a simple child. Not necessarily real, but not fake either. Supernaturals thrive on this, the attention of both believers and non-believers fueling their energy making them stronger. It is both something to fear and admire.

Just as a human, or any creature really, you have the good and the bad. Ones who'll grant wishes and good karma and ones who'll curse innocents and in some cases even harm, this leads to fear. Fear of the supernatural, the unknown. That's why most rumors are scary.

When you are scared, your more likely to remember, and the more you remember the more they thrive.

If you had the chance to make a wish, one with anything you wanted, would you take it? Would you be willing to flip a coin and chance whether the rumors were true or not; was the risk worth it?

Rumor has it, that there are seven mysteries inside the school; it is said that if you uncover the truth behind these mysteries, something strange will occur.

Are you willing to explore the unknown to discover the secret?

Yes, no?

Alright then, I'll just tell you about one of them. The most well-known...

...The seventh mystery, Hanako-san of the toilet.

They say that in the third stall of the third floors girls' bathroom in the old building, you can find Hanako-san.

A wish will be granted to anyone who can successfully summon her.

But, in return, she will take something that person holds dear.

To summon her,  you have to knock on the door three times.

Shaky hands tentatively reached up knocking upon the wore out stall door in uncertainty; a huff of irritation fly from in-between their lips as they swallowed back their nerves bracing for what has yet to come.

And chant the following:

"Hanako-san, Hanako-san, are you there?" The question was mumbled, almost completely unheard even by himself. A short prayer of nobody walking in on him was quickly sent as the Noiret scratched the back of his neck and braced to redo the whole act.

It had been bad enough he was in the girl's restroom, but if one was to add the fact he wanted to test a stupid rumor it'd only stir more unwanted feelings of embarrassment to the mix. He could almost imagine it now, the strange looks of bystanders in the hall glaring down at him as his brother wheezed in laughter at his misfortune, not to mention what she might think of it if he were to be dragged from the girl's restroom.

Finishing the ritual for the second time golden hues watched in anticipation for any sign the rumor had been true, after a few seconds of waiting and determining the rumor had indeed been just some hoax, the annoyed lad turned on his heel and stocked his way back towards the entrance.

Just as his hand made contact with the cool metal of the door's handle a loud creak echoed through the room freezing him in place as thoughts raced through his brain each more absurd than the last.

"I'm here! Sorry, I was late!"

Petrified. His body felt as if all his blood had turned into ice as shivers racked up his spine.

No, this wasn't right.

It was fake.

Hanako-san doesn't exist, he just tried to summon her and she hadn't come.

So that only leaves the option of someone pulling a prank?

Yeah, that's more logical.

Tsukasa must've put someone up to this. He had to of....right?

Hastily spinning of his heel raven locks tumbling over his face as crazed golden orbs made contact with an empty toilet stall. "Nothing's there." He quietly reassured himself forcing himself to relax. "It's all in my head."

"Are you all good...? You seem kinda stressed."

"W-what!?" If he were, to be honest, all this back and forth shit was making him dizzy, however, what it didn't do was stop him from throwing his strongest punch towards the mysterious person behind him.

In his defense, he had just been trying to summon a supernatural creature, if they didn't want to be hit they probably should've made their presence known as a normal person. Bracing himself for the impact the boy stumbled forward after meeting nothing but air. Peeking an eye open his jaw dropped as he came face to face with whom he was attempting to assault...only to find out his fist had gone through the gal.

"Heh-heh ahahahaha!" She laughed clutching at her stomach as he crumbled to the floor in shock. "Sorry, sorry, you all good down there?" A gloved hand was offered down to him as the er...student(?)...offered her poor excuse of an apology.

Dazed he looked up at her coming face to face with who he could only assume to be the 7th school wonder. She appeared to be much different from the description he'd gotten just earlier with (h.l) (h.c) locks curling around her (s.t) face, framing bright (e.c) orbs as she looked down upon him curiously.

"Are you-"

"Oooh..." she hummed absently a sweet smile planted along her lips. "Yeah, you're right! Hanako-san of the toilets! It's an honor to meet you!" Her bubbly voice echoed through the room as she waltzed back around him to sit on the toilet.

"Hanako-san..." Came his breathless reply before he screeched out once again. "There's no way! You're supposed to have a bob hairstyle and red skirt, not to mention be all ghoulish and gnarly!"

Oh, fuck no. This had to be some joke, there is no way that this was happening. Tsukasa must've laced his food or something during lunch, he wouldn't put it off his brother to do such a thing.

"Should I be offended? And what's wrong with what I'm wearing? I thought it was cute..." She mumbled gesturing to the Sailor fuku uniform she adorned before hardening her gaze on him once more, fire burning within her (e.c) gems. "Wait! You're one to talk! You're a boy in the Girl's bathroom!" She shrieked pointing an accusing finger his way, catching the poor boy off guard (again).

Nope, nada, fuck to the no, not a chance, no way he is dealing with this.

"Bye."

"W-wait! I didn't mean it I swear to come back! A boy client is way cooler anyway!"

"Cool...Alright, I'm listening."

"Ahem, aside from my uh-- style choices, everything you've heard about me is true." Hanako clarified with a grin. "I grant a wish to anyone who summons me, and you, my dear, have done just that! Just please keep in mind it comes with a price, okay?"

Sometimes he regrets all his life choices, sometimes he wants nothing more than to curl up and disappear, and this girl....this girl is probably gonna be one of the main causes of that, but... anything is better than nothing.

"I'm Yugi Amane from class 1-A, and I want your help building a relationship with the one I love!" Determined golden eyes clashed with her own as he made his hasty remark. Pink tinted his pale cheeks at the mere mention of his innermost desires, however, it was far too late to take any of it back now.

Pleased with her progress the apparition slid off her hat (something he had yet to notice she wore) and dug around in it for a moment pulling out a pen and notepad. Popping off the cap he watched as she scribbled what he'd just informed her and mumbled incoherently. "Yugi, and what you want is romance. What's their name?"

"Yashiro Nene, same class as me." He rushed embarrassedly, crossing his arms with a pout.

"Eh, is that it? Where's all the juicy stuff!? What is she like? Is she cute? Nice? Smart?" She exclaimed clutching her notepad closer to her chest with hearts in her eyes.

"She's dumb and is always trying to help me, even if I don't need it...she also has huge ankles, kinda like a daikon." He replied simply, refusing to look back towards the strange ghost.

"Hmm..." She pondered for a minute glancing down at her notes. "Alright then, I'll grant your wish. Only cause you seem desperate though." She lightly teased covering her grin under a sleeve, successfully bringing his attention back to her.

"Thanks...." He mumbled with a small smile of his own, timidly making eye contact. "So how do you grant everyone's wishes? Do you have magical items?"

"Yup, in fact, I have just what you need right here!" She proudly pulled out an old tattered book. "Ta-da~! I've read it like six times now, never gets old." She passed it over in anticipation, excitement practically oozing from her pores.

"'Love Strategies, Hundred Ways!'...no." he paused, deadpanned before tossing the book back over his shoulder towards the sinks earning a scoff from the gal.

"Well, this might not come as a surprise to you, but every time you elicit help from a ghost-like me, you have to pay a price." She paced around him kneeling to collect her book eyes never leaving his as she brushed off any dust from the cover. "If you want help from something beyond human understanding, the price required will be bigger. It's safer just to use this." She explained, straightening back up with an easy grin.

"I-I want... no I need those powers though." He was desperate, he was tired of being alone, and Nene...

Nene fixed that.

"Oh-- well I don't have any of those items on me! So sorry!" In a flash, she was back on the toilet with crossed ankles and a magazine in hand completely disregarding the fuming male before her.

"How the hell will you grant my wish then!?" He bellowed desperately angst brimming from his expression.

Sighing softly Hanako peeked out from under (h.c) bangs with a questioning gaze. "You don't happen to have any special abilities do you?'

•°•💮•°•

The sun glared down upon the duo furiously, burning rays washing upon the two uncomfortably with its midday heat. Tufts of white fluff proving to be their only savior when they covered the ball of fire shadowing them from its gaze. "The rooftop?" Hanako had been the first to break the stuffy silence, her hand pulling at the tie around her neck in an attempt to cool down.

"I'm not good at anything, but I like astronomy..." He rasped with a dry throat, the hot air already wearing him down, earning a nod of understanding.

"Hm, that's fine I suppose, we'll just go with what we can work with then." She muttered back too tired to put any effort into her reply. "First things first though, let's head inside."

• Amane and the Letter (of love):

"Nene-chan! Someone left a letter on your desk!" Aoi, the school's very own princess and a dear friend of Yashiro, exclaimed as the two girls entered the room.

"What! R-really!? Do you think it's a love letter!?" The diakon gushed rushing over the small blue envelope with stars in her eyes.

"Hurry open it!"

"O-okay!"

"..." A stale silence filled the air as the girl scanned the page only to look around in confusion.

"What does it say?"

"...Is this supposed to be a prank or something?" Her eyes swelled with tears as she flushed in embarrassment. "All they wrote about was h-how big my ankles were!"

"Y-you made her cry?" Hanako stuttered fearfully head peeking over the boy from their hiding spot under the window looking into the classroom. "Do I even want to know what you wrote?"

"No."

"..."

"..."

"What do you know about cooking?"

• Definitely not Hanako and the Bento Box (of love):

"And done!" Hanako beamed finishing off the final touches of the lunch she'd made particularly for the occasion. "Now all we have to do is wait!" She sent a thumbs up to her partner in crime gleefully making her way back towards their usual hiding place before the bell rang signaling the beginning of the next period.

Apprehension clawed at the two as they spotted the familiar due sliding the side door open entering from the other side of the room, a gasp of awe coming from their end as they rushed towards the Diakons desk.

"Wow, Nene-chan, you're getting pretty popular with the boys these days!" Aoi once more started the scene with a beaming smile and gentle eyes.

"You think?" Nene smiled back looking down at the cute bento before her wrapped neatly in a bird covering.

"Of course, someone even made you a lunch!" Was her only response as she untied the ribbon holding it together revealing an assortment of cookies and candy.

"Oh my! It's so adorably, but kinda girly don't you think? Not my preferred type at all!" She popped a cookie in her mouth afterward with a hum of satisfaction. "It's so yummy though!"

•Amane and the extra unreasonably high book on the stupidly tall bookshelf (of love):

"There it is!" Nene shouted pointing up towards the book their teacher had recently assigned. Moving forward she stood at the tip of her toes hand waving desperately to at least touch said book before giving in and watching it helplessly. "It's so high though..."

"Here let me try," The Noiret appeared beside her, hand on her shoulder nudging her out of the way.

"Oh! Hello, Yugi-Kun!" She smiled at him send his brain into a frenzy as he tried (and failed) to tune her out for the sake of the task at hand.

He, too, on the tip of his toes could barely reach the book Hanako had oh so graciously placed up so high for him as his fingers graze the spine of the cover before he fell back onto the flat of his feet. As he readied himself to try once more a larger hand grabbed at said book pulling it down with ease placing it in his outstretched palm.

"That is what you'd needed, right?" A smooth voice from behind questioned as Nene squealed in delight at the newcomer.

"Yeah," he silently fumed as he passed the book to the girl and briskly striding away.

•°•💮•°•

"This isn't working, none of those had anything to do with my abilities." He grumbled, slumping on the floor with a huff, irritation from the last attempt still brewing.

On the other side of the room, the apparition sat on the window sill gaze thoughtfully glued to the stained glass. "Perhaps we're beating around the bush too much. There is a quicker way."

"Alright then, what is it?" He snapped back with a glare, if there had been a quicker (possibly easier) way then why hadn't they just started with it? Why had she waited until now to tell? This whole situation was just a headache.

"Why don't you just confess to her?" She sighed rolling her head in his direction with hazy half-lidded eyes.

"No way!"

"Look, I'm a newbie at this too, not many people get this far." She grunted, her irritation seeping into her words as she shrugged sitting back into a better position.

"I knew this was too good to be true. You're a fake aren't you."

"Fake!? How dare you! I'm not fake at all, inexperienced yes, but fake I think not! And I do have some cool things on me!" She wailed ripping her hat from her head digging around for what she deemed 'cool' enough occasionally taking something out to drop it below her mumbling about each of the odds and ends she plucked out of the way, before finally pulling out a small pouch. "See!"

"What is it?"

"They're Mermaid scales! I have three of them, it curses those who swallow them, binding their souls forever!"

Silence enveloped the room as he fixed his eyes upon her proud figure. Mixed feelings filled his chest the longer he looked, on one hand, she lied to him, and on the other, all his problems could be solved with just two measly scales from the pouch in her hand. Before she could go on a tangent about how she wasn't a fake he'd stolen the bag from her petite grasp and sprites away as quickly as possible. Her shocked yell could be heard from down the hallway barely registering to him as his mind raced.

It was finally happening. His wish will come true.

Time seemed to lose meaning as he pushed himself further away from the bathroom, closer to his beloved. He could feel his heart thumping wildly within his chest bouncing off his ribs. He could feel how the adrenaline raced through his veins pumping along with his blood pushing his body to the max, the way his chest heaved with every intake of air he took gasping large intakes to steady himself. A smile split across his lips, face red with exhaustion and sweat beading along his messy hairline and down his neck. The world seemed to brighten around him as his eyes landed upon the object of his affection.

Laughing happily amongst her clubmates stood Yashiro Nene, the oblivious, kind-hearted, stubborn girl he'd fallen for over the past few years.

Unclasping his fist from around the dainty pouch he reached inside pulling out one of the assumed scales studying it lightly on the palm of his hand.

It was seafoam blue with a hint of green marking along its sides; the smooth texture was slick between his fingers, bending slightly beneath the pressure of his anxiety. Looking back up his golden hues lit in determination as he stared longingly at his best friend, eyes never once leaving the silver-haired girl as he popped the scale in his mouth choosing to ignore the salty flavor as he strode her way.

With each footfall, his world whirled around him warping itself into a multitude of blurred colors and mixed sound. Over the pounding echoing in his head he could make out the sweet voice of Nene as she converses with mutuals, giggling as she or another cracked a joke, synchronizing the beat of his heart with the rush running through his veins.

Squinting his sight caught hold of her jovial figure pushing back a strand of hair from her shoulder, legs as heavy as lead he trudged his way towards her shortening the distance slowly but surely as the ground shifted beneath his feet.

He could do this.

He can still make it.

He can finally be happy; just a couple more steps...

"Nene-chan, I saw you talking with Minamoto-senpai earlier!" Aoi gushed excitedly capturing the interest of both parties.

"Yes!" Nene replied dreamily clasping her hands together with a sigh. "It was so wonderful, I had been trying to get a book off a high self when he swept in to help!"

His body felt laden gripping him in place as the words flew past her lips. Hadn't he been the one to offer his assistance when their upperclassmen came out of nowhere and swept it clean from his fingertips? And, why did she sound so heart-stricken at the mention of the blond senpai? Could it be he who had swooned the boke Daikon?

His heart ached, tearing itself in two as his mind and body crumbled upon itself. His will to keep going waning as emotions flooded through him like a tidal wave.

Humiliation.

Heartache.

Envy.

Doubt.

All he could muster was self-loathing thoughts of how and why it wasn't him. Why he couldn't be the one trusted with her love and admiration.

The mass of color soon flitted into one large mass of red hues obscuring his vision from the environment around him while his body finally gave in slumping onto itself. He soon grew cold. The air was stolen from his lungs as liquid wrapped itself around him, cradling his fragile frame within its icy embrace muffling the universe and everything in its hold.

"It's okay now," A familiar voice echoed in the darkness breaking through the wall built around him hushed by the clog in his ears. "That was certainly a close call, Yugi-san. Any minute longer and you'd have dried out." The voice once again broke through singing its soft melody. This time, however, it sounded much closer.

Light filtered through the cracks the voice had made shining brightly down upon him. Tiredly his eyes peeked open gazing up around at the new setting. Everything appeared so much bigger than before, the desk of the classroom standing tall casting a shadow down upon the desk he resided, said desk is big enough to hold both himself and an extraordinarily large pen with enough space to fit much more.

"I know this situation isn't ideal, in fact, it's the worst-case scenario, but I put everything you need in there so it can't be that bad." A chuckle came from above capturing his attention, in front of the large desk stood the ghost he'd ran from earlier that day, her large hands lifting him from his resting place moving them over towards a giant mirror by the door.

"Viola!" She sang presenting to him around a fish tank with rather small gold and black fish swishing around with the water. Both stayed there silently for a few moments, she watching on nervously as he marveled at the reflection in confusion.

There in that round little tank clutched between her hands, he floated...he floated...he had turned into a goldfish with splattered black accents and golden scales, some of the said scales poking out in various places, just as his messy raven locks had once done.

"I-I'm a fish!?"

"Uh-- yeah, okay...well, seems to me you like it! That's great, I was rather worried for a moment you wouldn't."

"No way!"

"On a more serious note." He watched as her stance shifted straighter directing her gaze down upon him with a disappointed stare. "I thought I clear when I warned you that everything I do comes with a price."

A prickly sensation made itself present along his backbone as he dared not looked her way. She had been right. She had warned him before they even attempted the first try at swooning Yashiro. He had been in the wrong, too bad he only just now noticed.

At his distress and thoughtful expression, a sigh slid past parted lips as a more light-hearted tone tinted her words. "You've been inflicted with the curse of the mermaid." She briefly explained moving them back towards the desk to sit him down, shifting over to take a seat on top of the one in front of him.

"So that's why I turned into a fish...Fish are the servants of mermaids after all..." A bubble floated above his head as he attempted to speak.

"Had you made someone else ingest the other scale, the curse's power would have been split between the two of you, and you wouldn't have completely turned into a fish." Hanako huffed leaning back on her arms letting her hat tumble from her head with a quiet 'plop' as the stray strands of (h/c) fell back off her face. "You'd still be fish like though. The mermaid curse only affects the one who ingests it, we call it a matchmaker because two people with the same curse are tied together with a strong bond. But you haven't done that if you don't mind me asking, why?"

"I..." He started, only quickly cutting himself off to think.

He could have had her eat the second scale if he wanted to. He could have claimed her as his own and made her share his burden, but he didn't. Why? When he thought about it, was it her he was after, was her heart all he desired, if so then he could've, no, he would've taken the chance of having her cursed like he is. But he didn't.

"She likes someone else. I don't want to ruin her chances for my selfishness...besides, I think the only reason I wanted to be with her was to cure my loneliness..."

That's right. He was lonely. Sure, his brother was there and he got along well enough with his classmates, but none of it felt genuine. Behind closed doors, Tsukasa still treated him like dirt. After school, none of his peers dare even glance his way. He was lonely. He craved the attention and affection a friend or lover could provide, and because of that, he pushed all his selfishness onto the first person to show him an inkling of kindness.

"I don't want to be a terrible person. I'm tired of twisting things for my selfishness." A tense silence hung over the room as the ghost tenderly looked down at the fish, her heart swelled with unknown emotions as her lips pulled into a tight smile. Opening her mouth to speak she let a pleased laugh slide off her tongue as the fish swam about anxiously.

"You-"

"Now now, such foolish creatures these humans are!" A loud shriek erupted through the room sweeping them off their feet (or fins in Yugi's case) as the school shook. Cracks embedded into the tile as the desks and chairs fell into the large cavity forming in the middle of the floor sucking all it can into its depths. "Be overjoyed little boy. For you are now my servant. I'll make sure to treat you well..."

Out of the newly formed crater crawled a beastly being; large claw-like fins tore the gaping hole open even further allowing room for the newfound threat. Nails ripped through the surfaces deemed in the way and unnecessary, nearly wiping the defenseless boy out of existence while it swiped randomly as their head peeked over the hole. Hollow crazed eyes connected with the two as a vicious grin split across the vile beings face sending a wave of terror through the poor fish.

Crawling further from the entrance the mermaid finally pulled itself out revealing a twisted face tinted a pale gray framed by long tangled locks. Like the stories the creature harbored both human and fish-like attributes, with a fish tale covering most of its body with slimy green and orange scales that leaked a putrid smell and slime-like fluids. Instead of arms, the being had two large arm-like appendages that widened at the ends towards where the hands should be with three talons on each, stained with a deep crimson. To be honest, the only human-like part of the monster was its head, however, even this was a stretch as its vile features and wretched smile set the whole thing off.

"Ah!" Hanako clapped her hands directing the mermaid's attention onto herself, a polite smile painted across her (s.t) features. "I've been expecting you, hope the journey hadn't been too taxing." A light chuckle only heightened the tension lingering in the air as the mermaid's face contorted into a mixture of anger and confusion.

The water splashed over the brim of the bowl carelessly as Amane swam around hazardously trying to wrap his head around the situation. Fear clawed at his little heart as his gaze fell back upon the foul beast before he moved his eyes back towards his (hopefully) savior. Sensing the change the ghost's smile became more strained, her stance shifting closer towards him as she paced forward plucking her hat from the floor so it wouldn't fall and never be seen again.

"Kekeke" The mermaid cackled darkly leaning forward just enough it could show off its many rows of sharpened teeth. Its face mere inches from her own as a fetid odor washed over the three as the fish monster exhaled.

Cheekily Hanako reached into her hat latching her hand around a small box pulling it out to reveal a multitude of mints. Popping the lid open she continued to pour the lot into her hand, eyes never leaving the mermaids as she launched herself forward grabbing it by the hair, pouring mints into the thing's mouth barely dodging its teeth as it went to bite her. "Ah," she giggled pulling away. "Much better."

"You brat!" It blustered enraged. In a swift motion, it raised its arm before slamming it forward knocking the dead girl back, launching her into the wall denting the already damaged room even more as it crawled towards the boy lividly. "You're feeble! I am more than a thousand years old!"

Consumed by unease the little fish rammed into the glass desperate to get away. Panic drowned the poor fish as he realized the female laid motionlessly in a pool of (f.c), eyes closed to the world and mouth slightly agape. "Hanako-san!" He screamed at her attempting to at least get a response.

"A mere school ghost stands no chance beating me! Kekeke!" The mermaid crowed, roving closer to the fish tank. Its body curved in his direction fully leaning down peering down at him wickedly as it lifted its arm to pull him out. "Come with me now..."

"Ow...that kinda hurt," A moan of pain sounded from where Hanako lay. Clumsily lifting herself back onto her feet a hand braced her neck as she looked back at them. "That wasn't very nice, now. I have a job too after all."

"Hm?"

"I have yet to grant a single wish for that boy, before taking him away, can I at least do that first?" She requested finishing off rather shyly as she smiled timidly.

"Quiet! I will not have you order me around!"

"But it was a question..." The apparition sweat dropped sharing a questioning look with her companion. "Oh well, I tried. Guess I'll just have to do this the hard way then." The shyness seemed to melt away as a neutral expression replaced it. Hand back in her hat she slowly pulled it back out revealing a long kitchen knife with a pointed edge and carved handle.

"Insolence!" The sea creature screamed charging for her once more with a newfound fury. Sharp canines presented themselves as it widened its mouth further than humanly possible ready to swallow her whole. The closer it got, the faster Amane could feel his blood pumping, heart racing uncontrollably. Just as the mermaid went to strike Hanako pushed herself under it twisting herself mid-air to strike its underbelly. From afar one may have assumed the two were in a dance, with the monster's frantic movements and Hanakos swift yet delicate act it all seemed to synchronize together in some sort of contorted waltz.

Wailing in agony the mermaid towed back away from the gasping girl grasping at its injury as blood poured from the wound. Light scratches decored Hanako as well, the (f.c) liquid from before trailing down her skin as it painted her skin and uniform.

In a fit of desperation, it swiped at her yet again, much more weakened than before as she dodged it easily. Positioning herself Hanako cut clean through the mermaid's arm sending the limb falling to the floor with a gorey slap and splatter. Gripping at the pouring wound the mermaid hollered loudly buckling down on itself as the female looked down at it in sympathy.

"What!? How could a mere fledgling like you possibly have this much power!? Curse you school legend!" It proclaimed with a disturbing cry. Pulling itself backward it pitifully wobbled its way back to the hole to retreat. Passing by the desk Yugi sat its tale clumsily hit the tank sending the boy flying off the edge.

Rushing forward, hands outstretched and knife discarded a relived laugh escaped the girl as he landed in the safety of her arms. "It's okay," she mumbled quietly, to both him and herself. "I have you, the mermaids gone." Balancing him back onto a steady surface the girl crumbled into a pile of exhaustion a lazy grin taking the place of her frown as she mumbled incoherently with closed eyes. "It looked...pretty stubborn though...so it may come back..."

He couldn't help but stare at the sleepy ghoul. The way her smile seemed to stick even at the oddest of times, she was rather pretty...but...

"What's gonna happen now? Am I gonna be a fish forever?"

Peeping a single eye open a yawn presented itself as she sat herself up rubbing away the slumber still glued to her. "Look, what you did was stupid but, when you get involved with the supernatural, this is what you get. Think of this as a life lesson." She started pointing at the poor fish. "I did try to stop you. But, your crush didn't swallow the other scale which means I can still grant you a wish. Yugi Amane, do you wish to be a human again? Should you make that wish, I'd be happy to grant it, just for a price of course."

"What's the price?"

"To be honest, I don't know, but at least you'll be able to live a barely normal life. It's all up to you, what do you say?"

"I want to be human."

"If that's what you wish, alright then..." She pulled out the pouch from before, the leather texture sticking to her skin as she peeled it open pulling one of the scales out. " In return for this wish...you'll pay me back with your body." His skin bristled at her words as he watched impatiently as she placed the scale in her mouth swallowing it with little to no hesitation.

"No way!" The boy bellowed flusteredly as his body finally returned to normal. Water splashed over the two as the tank crashed into the floor a few feet away soaking through his uniform.

"Our destinies are now intertwined. Through the worlds of both the living and the dead, we shall be deemed as one." Hanako leaned against a desk allowing herself a moment of relaxation. "I'll be sure to split the curse evenly. In return for my services I'll be taking..." She paused dramatically taking amusement from his flushed state. "You're..." He could feel the heat radiating from his skin as he leaned closer the coolness of her being drawing him nearer.

"Physical labor." She whispered teasingly. "All's well that ends well, that's what my friend used to say. It's been a while since I've been summoned so treat me well okay?" She rambled on oblivious to the burning sensation brewing within the male. Finally catching his embarrassed glances she puffed out a giggle. "You didn't take it the wrong way did you Yugi-san?" A blush coated her cheeks as she looked at the boy expectantly. "Now, how dirty--" The had hardly left her lips before two arms entrapped her beneath the glaring boy.

"You're the one who made it weird...how can I touch you?" He questioned pulling at her cheeks muffling any complaints, momentarily forgetting the reason for pinning her in the first place.

"I already told you. Our destinies have been intertwined, so please stop, okay? I did just grant you two wishes."

"Two?"

"Yeah, 'turn me back into a human' and 'I want to cure my loneliness!"

"But you didn't help me with Nene-chan!" He grumbled lifting himself off her giving her a blank look, the rosy glow still tinting his cheeks.

"No, but our fates are now tied together, that sounds like a relationship to me, and you know what that means, you're not lonely! So yeah, indirectly I did both." She pointed out pushing back her soggy bangs to better view her new friend, pointing towards the golden scales on his arms. "You also might want to dry those off!" He nearly passed out at the sight of black and golden scales littering his skin, annoyance, and joy muddling together as he two joined in her silly antics.

Unknowingly, it was on this day, in the dimly lit classroom dyed in the crimson of the setting sun that Yugi Amane sealed his fate with Hanako-san of the toilet, forever changing his fate for bothering better and worse.

••°°•💮🌸💮•°°••

End of Chapter One
Hanako-san of the Toilet

Thank you for reading!

WC: 6120 words

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.8K 462 24
Hey stop only adding this book to your lists to read! Add the one that says "slight rewritten" too, im moving it and fixing a couple of things, this...
2K 55 13
✧༺ 𝐀 𝐊𝐚𝐦𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐀𝐜𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐦𝐲 𝐇𝐢𝐠𝐡 𝐒𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥 𝐬𝐭𝐮𝐝𝐞𝐧𝐭, 𝐘𝐮𝐠𝐢 𝐀𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐞, 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐚 𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐰𝐢𝐬𝐡...
311K 10.7K 36
"ʜᴀᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ʜᴇᴀʀᴅ...?" "ᴍʏsᴛᴇʀʏ ɴᴜᴍʙᴇʀ 0, ᴋɪʀᴜᴍɪ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴀʀᴅᴇɴ." "ᴛʜᴇʏ sᴀʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴀᴛ ᴀ ᴄᴇʀᴛᴀɪɴ ᴛɪᴍᴇ, ʏᴏᴜ'ʟʟ sᴇᴇ ʜᴇʀ sɪᴛᴛɪɴɢ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪᴅᴅʟᴇ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ɢᴀʀᴅᴇɴ...
41K 642 20
♪───O(≧∇≦)O────♪ 〜𝘚𝘩𝘰𝘳𝘵: 🌼, 𝘮𝘦𝘥𝘪𝘶𝘮: ☁️, 𝘓𝘰𝘯𝘨 : 🌸 ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ 〜A one shot book of H...