Dhadkan (Book 1 - Singhania B...

By Amateurmisswriter_

Three brothers who shared nothing but the love they had for each other. A ten year old child who had been aba... More

Prologue
Character Sketch
Part 1 : The longingness
Part 2 : Family dynamics
Part 3 : Realisations
Part 4 : Definition of family
Part 5 : Fears of past
Part 6 : Budding relationships
Part 7 : A wicked man
Part 8 : Memories
Part 9 : The past
Part 10 : Bhaiya
Part 11 : Arnav Singhania
Part 12 : First step of acceptance
Part 13 : Fear of abandonment
Part 14 : Healing
Part 15 : Assurances
Part 16 : Family
Part 17 : Circumstances
Part 19 : Changed dynamics
Part 20 : Ayaansh Singhania
Part 21 : Trust
Part 22 : Brothers
Part 23 : Family
Part 24 : Grateful to have you!
Part 25 : Bhabhi
Part 26 : The shared pain
Part 27 : Song made up of heartbeats!
Part 28 : The unforeseen happenings
Part 29 : The depth of love
Part 30 : The epiphany
Epilogue
ROOH (BOOK 2)

Part 18 : Engagement

3.4K 265 53
By Amateurmisswriter_

It was midnight when Arnav came back home. He had called at home to let the boys know about the situation. He sat down on the sofa and leaned back, closing his eyes. Both him and Aashika had a hard time convincing Atharva that he was indeed fine. There was nothing to be freaked about. They had managed to convince him to focus on the engagement for now and they promised to think about the wedding soon. Atharva was reluctant but in the end he gave in.

Atharva was a very lively person. He had been laughing around and cracking jokes even when he had suffered first heart stroke. Him behaving in such a way just because of being fainted was scaring all of them. Arnav wished Atharva's apprehension would be washed out by the joy of their engagement.

Arnav opened his eyes when someone placed a glass of water in front of him. Arnav reached for it gratefully. He rubbed his temple. He was having a headache again. His migraine got triggered in the worst of the times.

"Chachu thik hai, Bhaiya?" Aniket asked after a few seconds.

Arnav nodded.

"Ashi? Bohot upset hogi na?" Aniket asked concerned. "Mai court ki vajah se hospital bhi nhi aa paya."

"She's fine, Aniket." Arnav cut him off and got up to get some coffee.

Aniket sighed. He hated when his Bhaiya talked to him that way. He preferred the scoldings much more. He tagged behind Arnav to the kitchen who was putting the boiler to make coffee.

He stopped Arnav. "You need to eat first, Bhaiya."

Arnav freed his hands and made the coffee. Aniket stopped him again. "Kaha na, pehle kuch Khao aap."

Arnav picked up his coffee and left from there without a word. He knew Aniket wouldn't let go and he didn't have the energy to argue.

Aniket sighed. He warmed up the food and took the plate to Arnav's room. Arnav was just about to take first sip when Aniket pulled away the cup from his hands.

Arnav gave him an annoyed look.

Aniket ignored him and pulled him down to sit. He kept the plate in Arnav's hands. "Pehle khana khao aap."

Arnav didn't reach for the food. Aniket glared at him. "Subah se nhi khaya aapne, Bhaiya. You need to eat."

"Nhi khana mujhe." Arnav tried to protest but Aniket forced a morsel inside his mouth.

"Baad me ghur lo mujhe aaram se. Pehle khana khao, dawai bhi nhi li aapne." Aniket said and stuffed another morsel in his mouth without giving him a chance to protest

Arnav glared at him. "Bohot himmat badh gyi hai na teri..."

"Haan, bolo kya karoge?" Aniket smiled.

Arnav felt like bashing his head but resisted. Aniket could rile him up worse than Aryan. He stopped Aniket when he was about to put another morsel in his mouth.

"Kha loonga mai." Arnav said and started eating quietly.

Aniket's smile dimmed but he didn't say anything. Arnav looked up at him. "Tune khaya?"

Aniket nodded but looked away when Arnav stared at him with those eyes.

Arnav sighed and put a morsel in his mouth. He was drained out to have a argument.

"Naraaz ho phir bhi khilaye bina nhi kha sakte na aap?" Aniket couldn't help but smile. His brother could just not not care. Loving them was like his second nature.

Arnav fed him another morsel. "Khud kha leta, toh mujhe nhi khilana padta."

"Us, Bhaiya, us." Aniket said coolly as he looked pointedly at Arnav.

Arnav glared him down.

Aniket gave him a charming smile. "Yeh aankhein aap kisi aur ko dikhao, Bhaiya. Mujhe toh aadat ho gyi hai."

Arnav didn't reply.

As soon as they were done with their meal, Aniket dropped the pretense and held Arnav's hands when he was about to get up. "I'm sorry, Bhaiya."

Arnav pulled back his hands. In the process, his hands rubbed against Aniket's wound making him hiss slightly. Arnav was alerted. "Kya hua?"

"Kuch nhi, Bhaiya..." Aniket tried to pull away his hand.

Arnav checked his hands and got concerned seeing the wound. "Chot kaise lagi tujhe?"

"Choti si chot hai, yaar, aap..."

"Dhyaan kaha rehta hai, Ani? Bachcha hai tu?" Arnav reprimanded. "Kaise laga li tune itni?"

"Galti se lag gya, Bhaiya, Jane do na yeh.."

Arnav ignored him and pulled out the first aid from his drawer. He cleaned the blood stains and started applying the ointment. The wound was still fresh and his brother had left it undressed.

Aniket hissed. The ointment stung really bad. Arnav gentled his touch and dressed up the wound. He got up but Aniket pulled him down again, hissing again as he brushed his hand against Arnav's kurta.

"Kya kar rha hai, Ani? Dhyaan Kahan hai tera?" Arnav chided and pulled his hands to check for himself.

"Galti ho gyi, Bhaiya, I'm really sorry." Aniket's voice was low and heavy.

Arnav sighed and sat down. He knew how much Aniket loved Aryan. There was no way he could have known Aryan's state of mind and asked him of something like that. His folly was that he had spoken without thinking. Arnav didn't have the heart to stay angry at him when he knew Aniket himself must have been upset seeing Aryan's sadness.

"I know you're sorry, Ani. I'm asking you why did you say that? Kya laga tujhe? Ashi ke aane se..."

"Nhi, Bhaiya, Aisa kuch nhi hai." Aniket shook his head immediately. "Mai bina soche bol gaya, Bhaiya. Agar mujhe pata hota toh ki Aru... mai kabhi aisi baat nhi kehta. I can never think of hurting...."

"You don't need to tell me that, Ani. I know my brother." Arnav cut him off gently. "Mujhe pata hai tune yeh sab nhi socha hoga. Tu jaanta hai na Aru ko? Jaise har chhoti chiz use khush kar deti waise hi har chhoti chiz use dil par bhi lag jati hai. Ashi ko bhi pata hai what you guys mean to me, Ani. Mera aur Ashi ka rishta apni jagah hai aur humara rishta apni jagah. Naye rishte judne se purane rishte nhi badal jate."

"I know, Bhaiya. Mera sach me woh matlab nhi tha. Hum sabko pata hai Aru aapka bachcha hai." Aniket said with a heavy heart. "Mujhe dhyaan rakhna chahiye tha, I'm really sorry." Aniket looked down.

Arnav cupped his face. "Mai kabhi kisi ko humare rishte ke beech nhi aane doonga, Ani."

Aniket's eyes filled up with guilt. His brother did not have to say it. He kept his hands on his Bhaiya's hands that were cupping his face. "Mai jaanta hoon, Bhaiya."

"Tere mann me yeh baat ek baar aa gyi, Ani, dobara nhi. Agli baar se thappad khayega tu mujhse." Arnav said hitting him on head slightly. "Ashi ke aane se tum logo ke hisse ka pyaar ya haq Kam nhi ho jayega, bachcha."

Aniket smiled blinking off his tears. "Hum hone bhi nhi denge, Bhaiya. Aapka pyaar pe haq hai humara aur woh hum kabhi nhi chhodenge."

Arnav smiled. That was his Aniket, who never failed to express his emotions. He said what came in his heart and he had a heart of gold to hurt someone.

Just then they heard the sound of songs being played. Arnav frowned. Who was playing songs in their home at midnight? Aniket just shook his head. His younger brothers were absolute idiots. He had warned them to keep the sound low but they couldn't listen at all.

Arnav noticed his expressions. "Kya hai yeh?"

Aniket gave a sheepish smile. "Song hai, Bhaiya."

"Aur aadhi raat me yeh songs chala kon raha hai?"

"Mujhe kya pata, Bhaiya."

Arnav glared at him. "Aapko kaise nhi pata hoga, wakil sahab?"

Aniket scoffed. "Shaitaani aapke bachche kar rhe hai aur taane aap mujhe de rhe ho?"

Arnav shook his head and got up but Aniket pulled him down. "Ghar me sagai hai, Bhaiya. Let the kids have fun." With that he started massaging Arnav's scalp. That was the only thing that actually helped Arnav's migraines.

Arnav stopped him. "Chot lagi hai tere haatho me idiot.."

Aniket rolled his eyes. "Chhoti si chot hai, Bhaiya. Plaster nhi hai mere haath me. Chup baitho aap."

Arnav sighed and leaned back. He felt his nerves relaxing as Aniket massaged his scalp gently. He was in dire need of exactly that.

"Hearing ka kya hua?" Arnav looked up.

"It was just fine, Bhaiya. The ball is in our court."

Arnav nodded and then looked at him again. "Bacho ko sone bol, Ani, it's too late. Kuch khaya hai dono ne?"

"Kha liya hai, Bhaiya. Aur mai sula doonga dono ko. So jao aap bhi."

Arnav nodded. "Teeno so jao, kal pura din rest nhi milega."

Aniket nodded and smiled when he saw Arnav closing his eyes. His Bhaiya needed to sleep it off. Tomorrow was a very special day for all of them.

"Bhaiya, jaldi karo ab..." Aryan came inside Arnav's room and saw his brother getting ready in the sherwani he had chosen.

Arnav saw him come and smiled at him.

Aryan came and hugged him. "Aap bohot achchhe lag rhe ho, Bhaiya."

Arnav ruffled his hairs.

"Meri hairstyle, Bhaiya!" Aryan whined.

Arnav laughed. His brother loved his hairs. "Badi fikar hai tujhe apne hairstyle ki?"

"I've an image, Bhaiya. Use kharab nhi kar sakta na." Aryan said raisins his collar.

Arnav chuckled and raised his eyebrows. "Image, haan?"

Aryan pouted and hugged him again even more tightly. Ayaansh also came inside at the same time and smiled at the duo. Arnav saw him and extended his other hand towards him. Ayaansh didn't need to be asked twice. He joined in the hug happily. After a few moments, the boys pulled back, beaming with happiness.

"Chale, Bhaiya?"

Arnav nodded and they came down where many guests had already arrived. Aniket was welcoming the guests those were coming in. They had chosen to do engagement from their home as there were hardly any people from Aashika's side to look after arrangements and they didn't want to trouble Atharva right now. Aashika and Atharva arrived just then.

"Welcome, Chachu." Aniket joined his hands with a smile. He would give them all the respect that a bride's family deserved.

Atharva hugged him. "Yeh formalities ki zarurat nhi hai, beta. Hum toh pehle se family hai."

Aniket smiled. "Kaisi tabiyat hai, Chachu?"

Atharva gave a sad smile. "Thik hai, beta."

Aniket looked at Aashika who was decked up in a beautiful blue lehenga. Aashika gave a reassuring smile. Aniket relaxed and escorted them inside.

Soon Arnav and Aashika were made to sit in the middle and the rituals started. Atharva did Arnav's tika and the couple took blessings from him.

"Humesha khush raho dono." Atharva blessed them and hugged them.

Aashika's own eyes filled up the moment she saw tears shining in Atharva's eyes. After the day her mother died, it was the first time she was seeing tears in his eyes. "Papa.." Her voice choked up.

Atharva quickly blinked off his eyes and smiled at her. "Mujhe yakeen hai tum Arnav ke saath bohot khush rahogi, beta."

"Ladke ki taraf se ladki ka tika kon karega?" The priest asked.

The brothers looked at each other. They didn't have anyone to call their own except for themselves. They were each other's only family!

"Aapke maa ya pita nhi hai, beta?" Panditji asked.

Arnav stiffened and shook his head.

Ayaansh saw Arnav's expression changing completely. He so wished he could shut his mind against the questions that ran across his brain. He was getting agitated with his own thoughts.

"Arnav ke Bhai bhi toh yeh rasm kar sakte hai na, Panditji?" Aashika asked.

"Vaise toh kisi bade ke karne ka haq hota hai, beti par agar koi aur nhi hai toh haan, Bhai kar sakta hai yeh rasm."

Arnav sighed and looked at his brothers. Ayaansh and Aryan nudged Aniket to go. Aniket smiled at them and came forward to do the ritual. "Kya karna hai, Panditji?'

"Yeh thaal lijiye aur apni hone wali Bhabhi ka tika kijiye."

Aniket sat in front of Ashi and smiled at her. "Izazat hai, hone wali Bhabhi?" He teased.

Aashika raised her eyebrows. "Aapko kaise na keh sakti hoon dewar ji?"

Aniket threw her a disgusted look. Aashika chuckled. Arnav shook his head at them fondly. Aniket saw her smile and smiled back. He did her tika. Aryan brought the chunri they had gotten for her. Aniket looked back at Ayaansh.

"Aage aa, Ayu!" He called out.

Ayaansh hesitated but Arnav held his hands and pulled ahead. He squeezed his hands once and let go. Ayaansh got the message. He joined his brothers and three of them draped the chunri on Aashika's head. Aashika's eyes misted. They were the best family she could've asked for!

Aryan and Ayaansh stepped back and let Aniket complete the rest. Aniket did Ashi's aarti and fed her some sweets in the end. They proceeded towards other rituals. Arnav and Aashika exchanged the rings and took Atharva's blessings. He blessed them whole heartedly. The gnawing feeling grew louder in his heart that he wouldn't be able to bless them again but he put his own feelings aside and smiled for his daughter's sake. It was her day, he couldn't ruin it.

Aryan came ahead and hugged Aashika. "Aaj se aap officially humari, Bhabhi. Congratulations, Bhabhi."

Aashika kissed his head affectionately. "Thank you, bachcha."

Aryan pulled back and hugged Arnav. He didn't need words with his Bhaiya. Arnav just pulled him closer and kisses his head.

Aniket and Ayaansh too came to them. They hugged Ashi together who hugged them back warmly.

"Bhaiyu, Bhai, kuch perform Karo na aap dono. Bhaiya ko sagai hai after all." Aryan spoke.

"Haan, Ayu, Arnav ne mujhe bataya tum bohot achcha gate ho. Maine toh abhi tak suna hi nhi hai." Aashika said.

Ayaansh hesitated. He wasn't comfortable in singing around people. But she didn't want to refuse Ashi outright. Arnav understood his problem and turned him to himself. "Koi baat nhi, Ayu. Kabhi aur gaa ke suna de apni Bhabhi ko."

Ayaansh looked up at Ashi. Ashi cupped his face. "Haan, bachcha. Isme itna pareshan hone wali konsi baat hai? Mai toh yahi hoon, tera jab mann kare tab suna dena, hm?"

Ayaansh nodded but he felt sad.

"Koi nhi, Bhai, chalo aaj hum Bhaiyu ka song enjoy karte hai." Aryan held his hands. "Woh apna guitar lane gye hai."

The guests started flocking around Arnav and Aashika to convey their wishes. They met and received everyone's wishes gratefully. Just then the light went off, and the music was heard. The spotlight fell on the centre and Arnav and Aashika smiled seeing Aniket.

Aryan cheered excitedly.

Aniket twirled his guitar and started playing the tunes.

Woh din jo Tu mila tha
Main ye na jaanta tha
Hoga tu hamsafar meraa….

Main tujhe hi toh dhoondta tha
Na jaane tu kahaan tha
Rehna hai umr bhar tera…

Jo kisi ka na hua tera hogaya
Tu har bahana mera hogaya
Tere siva ek pal bhi kisiko na du

Aryan pushed Arnav and Aashika to the middle. Arnav smiled and twirled Aashika. Aniket's voice never failed to charm them.

All I do is think about you

Sab mill gaya jabse mila tu
All I do is think about
Kya hota mera jo na hota mere saath tu
So all I do is think about

Aniket was about to struck the chords but looked up surprised when Ayaansh joined him. His melodious voice filled the mansion enchanting each and every person present. Arnav and Aashika also stopped and smiled at Ayaansh. Ayaansh looked at them and let the words flow.

Tere bin kya savere
kya lamhe Hote mere
kya hoti zindagi
socha bhi jaane na

Ab dekhu main jahaan  
tu na ho aisi koi nahi hai jagah
Tu saath hai dhadkano ki tarah
Teri taareef mein kya kahoon aur kya na kahoon
Oooh… All I do is think about you

Sab mill gaya jabse mila tu
All I do is think about
Kya hota mera jo na hota mere saath tu
So all I do is think about you

Aniket felt Ayaansh's voice choking and took the lead. Ayaansh was grateful. He put the guitar down and ran to hug Arnav. He hadn't even realised his emotions untill music brought it out of him without his consent. Arnav was taken aback by the sudden hug but hugged him back.

"Thank you, Bhaiya" Ayaansh's choked voice came out as a mere whisper.

"Kis liye, bachcha?"

Ayaansh didn't reply but deepened the embrace. Aniket saw Arnav's clueless expression and shook his head. His Bhaiya didn't even realise Ayaansh's words were directed towards only one person. He let it slide Aryan dragged him to the couple and the started singing together around them.

(all I do is think about)x2

Sab mill gaya jabse mila tu
All I do is think about
Kya hota mera jo na hota mere saath tu
So all I do is think about YOU.

The brothers hugged each other tightly. Those words perfectly described their emotions for each other. Aashika was a beautiful addition to it. She warmly held the boys to herself.

Atharva smiled through tears looking at the happy family. He wished he could have seen his daughter become a part of this family for himself. But he could feel it was too late for him. His chest pounded with pain. He turned to leave. He didn't want to spoil the celebration. He took a few steps before he felt a sharp pain shooting across his whole body and he turned back to take a look at the smiling face of his daughter.

The father's eyes met with the daughter's. Aashika instantly knew something was wrong. Atharva could see her rushing towards him. He tried to smile but his body gave up and he collapsed down with a thud.
____________________________________

A/n

How was the chapter?

Favourite character or scene?

What do you think will happen?

Love,
Muskan

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.1K 2.4K 28
He had to choose. He choosed, and left his brothers who were his life. To keep them save, to save them from there own mother. A woman, the world fear...
97.4K 2.9K 11
A beautiful wedding turns to a disaster when the younger brother of the groom elopes with the bride's sister on the eve of the marriage. Two families...
208K 12.1K 43
The feeling of being abandoned by one's own family was not unknown to Aadhira. She hates her family for abandoning her when she was only a newborn, l...
549K 32.2K 50
𝗕𝗼𝗼𝗸 1-𝗥𝗲𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗻𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗦𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗲𝘀 From the very beginning, he was "Her's" it was as if they were destined to be together. They cam...