How to Stay Afloat

By Reeyu97

Fallon's sole ambition in life is to escape her miserable hometown once and for all. She dreams of driving aw... More

~D E S C R I P T I O N~
~P r o l o g u e~
~1: Where She Tries to Bribe a Man with a Cupcake~
~2: Where She's Definitely NOT Being a Stalker~
~3: Where He is Definitely Being Stalked~
~4: Where She Lets Him in on a Secret~
~5: Where He Decides to Fix Her Car~
~6: Where She Sees His Abs~
~7: Where She Introduces Him to Spartacus~
~8: Where He has Company for Lunch~
~9: Where She's Invited to a Party~
~10: Where She Tries to Hide in the Bathroom~
~11: Where She Tells Him About Her Past~
~12: Where She Tells Everyone Her Brilliant Idea~
~13: Where She Takes Part in an Auction~
~14: Where She Lives a Little With Him~
~15: Where She Ends Up on the Beach~
~16: Where He Asks a 'Friend' For a Favor~
~17: Where She Gets a Reality Check~
~18: Where He Goes on a Date~
~19: Where She Goes for a Drive~
~20: Where She's Not His 'Friend'~
~21: Where She Defends Him~
~22: Archer's Story~
~23: Where She Learns About His Past~
~24: Where She Gets Him a Little Wet~
~25: Where He Finds a Place to Stay~
~26: Where She Gets a Roommate~
~27: Where He's Jealous~
~28: Where She Finally Gets Closure~
~29: Where She Cheers for Him~
~30: Where She Confesses~
~32: Where She Has Her First Fight With Him~
~33: Where She Has an Unexpected Visitor~
~34: Where He Decides to Ask Her to Prom~
~35: Where She Decides to Ask Him to Prom~
~36: Where She Gets Him a Cookie~
~37: Where She Visits the Place She Came From~
~38: Where She Goes to Prom~
~39: Where She Confronts Her Past~
~40: Where She Gets an Offer~
~41: Where She Realizes That Some People Never Change~
~42: Where She Gets Caught in the Middle~
~43: Where He Can't Find Her~
~44: Where all He Feels is Hollowness~
~45: Where He Meets Her Brother~
~46: Where He Goes to See His Father~
~47: Where He Finally Accepts~
~48: Bittersweet Endings and Hopeful Beginnings~

~31: Where She Asks Him About the Future~

899 50 6
By Reeyu97

CHAPTER 31: 

WHERE SHE ASKS HIM ABOUT THE FUTURE

|Fallon|

~~**~~

I was enveloped in a delicious cocoon of warmth when my alarm went off the next morning. I groaned as I peeled my eyes open. In the couple of hours we'd slept I'd somehow managed to practically crawl on top of Archer. My head was resting on his chest and one of my hands clasped his like I wanted to make sure he didn't disappear.

When I started to move the arm that was wrapped around my waist tightened. "Just let me enjoy this for a couple more minutes." Archer's voice was husky from sleep." His eyes were half-lidded and completely focused on me.

I could feel the blush warming my face. He'd seen me wake up for school many times since we'd been sharing a room but this felt different, more intimate.

My embarrassment was definitely one-sided because Archer seemed completely content just lying there and watching me.

"You should probably shower and get changed first." I finally managed to whisper.

His lips twisted into a lazy grin and I felt my insides clench.

Suddenly he flipped us over so he was on top of me. His nose skimmed the side of my jaw inhaling deeply.

"Or we could both save time and shower together. We don't want to be late to school, do we?" His expression was mischievous as he started trailing open-mouthed kisses down my neck. His teeth grazed my collar bone making my breath hitch. He soothed the sting with his tongue and then his mouth was moving lower...

 And lower.

~~**~~

I was completely unsure how to act around Archer now that we'd slept together.

I bit my lip nervously as Archer drove us to school.

Was I supposed to act like nothing had happened?

Was it casual?

Were we a couple?

My internal debate and uncertainty seemed to increase with every passing second. 

Archer, however, seemed to be completely unbothered.

He snagged my hand in his and entwined our fingers as soon as we entered the school building like it was something completely normal. 

He didn't let go when Peyton approached us and she gave me a look saying 'You better tell me every detail as soon as we're alone'. He dropped me to class and kissed me deeply at the door leaving me completely lightheaded. He'd already be waiting for me outside as soon as one class ended. He would grab my bag and walk me to my next class every time. It was like he'd memorized my class schedule by heart.

By the second period, everyone seemed to be staring at us or whispering about us.

And to my surprise, it didn't seem to bother Archer. In fact, Archer, the boy who not long ago walked with his head down and shoulders hunched. The boy who used to hide behind his oversized hoodies, seemed completely at ease in his own skin. He wasn't awkward anymore, instead, he exuded that effortless confidence that people were automatically drawn to.

When had Archer, my shy introverted Archer, changed so much?

It warmed my heart as I watched him wave and smoothly answer short greetings from different people. When he stopped to talk to someone he didn't let go of my hand and he always found a way to include me in the conversation.

When lunch finally came around Archer and I headed to the cafeteria. Around ten different people stopped us on our way to talk to him. Now that he wasn't so closed off and had stopped hiding people seemed to gravitate towards him.

He was talking to a guy from the basketball team who'd approached him because he'd been having car troubles when he caught me smiling up at him. His eyes seemed to light up when they met mine, he pulled me close and pressed his lips to my temple before rejoining the conversation.

We finally headed to our usual table with Peyton, her boyfriend Andrew, and Colton. Recently Caroline had started to join us for lunch too. Archer set our lunch trays down on the table and took the only available chair beside Colton and the two started talking about their final tournament which was only a week away. Just as I started to grab an empty chair to sit from the table beside ours Archer's hands seized my waist and I yelped in surprise as he pulled me onto his lap. He continued his conversation with Colton without missing a beat as his arm snaked over my stomach to steady me.

The guys seemed completely unfazed and Peyton and Caroline both gave me excited looks.

Every now and then Archer would subtly run his fingers through my hair, rest his chin on top of my head, or nuzzle the side of my neck.

My cheeks were warm but I could feel my lips tip up into an involuntary smile as thousands of butterflies danced in my stomach.

"So, are you guys going to spill?" Caroline's giddy voice finally broke in. "Are you guys finally together?"

I felt Archer's body go still below me. I tilted my head up to look at him. Our eyes locked, his intense gaze was completely fixated on me, and everything around me seemed to melt away. He smiled down at me, his expression softening and suddenly my heart felt full.

I finally looked away from him and turned to our friends.

"Yeah, we're together." I beamed.

~~**~~

We were both lying in bed after eating the Fettucine Alfredo I'd made for dinner. My head was nestled in the crook of Archer's neck and he was mindlessly running his fingers through my hair. I was half asleep when his voice reached my ears.

The room was dark and the only source of light was from the moonlight coming through the window.

"I could stay like this for the rest of my life." He said.

Even though his words were meant to be sweet and romantic a familiar feeling of unease started unfurling in the pit of my stomach when he talked about the future.

I was reminded of what Peyton had told me about Archer getting a fully funded scholarship to California State University.

Something Archer hadn't even mentioned to me yet.

Archer seemed to pick up on my sudden change of mood because all of a sudden he tilted his body so he was looking at me. His eyes searched my face in the dark.

"What's wrong?" He murmured, his brows creasing in concern.

For a moment I contemplated pretending like everything was fine because everything had been so perfect recently and I didn't want to ruin it but reason got the better of me.

"Archer, have you thought about the future? Have you decided what you're going to do after we graduate?"

His throat bobbed as he swallowed he turned to lay on his back so he wasn't looking at me anymore. "Graduation is still two whole months away." He said quietly.

His vague response had my anger suddenly spiking. I sat up, my eyes shining with frustration.

"Oh? So that's what you're doing with me? Using me. Fucking me to pass the time till graduation?" I demanded.

One second he'd been lying on his back, the next he was sitting up, his face mere inches from mine. His expression was dark.

"You better take those words back." He growled.

I raised my eyebrows in disbelief. "Why should I, when it's obviously true." And to my utter mortification tears started trailing down my cheeks.

Archer's expression completely melted when he saw the look of anguish on my face. "Baby," He murmured as he pulled me to him so my head was buried in his chest. "Of course, that's not true. Why would you even think that?"

"Then why didn't you tell me about your scholarship?" The words slipped past my lips before I could stop them.

I could feel his body go rigid.

And when I pulled away to look at him I was taken aback by how angry he looked.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.3K 2.2K 29
♡ Featured on Stories Undiscovered ♡ ♡ Featured on Teen Fiction ♡ "All it took was one smile, that damned smile, and I found myself falling in love w...
2.2M 37.4K 22
How far would you go to protect the ones you love? A successful architect with a promising career in London, Brian's world spins out of control when...
5.3K 932 74
Madison is a reserved girl with a comfortable yet uneventful life back home. She has good grades, a loving sister, and a father who's intent on her l...
92.1K 4.6K 57
Have you ever wondered what more you could be missing when you have everything? Well, Michelle Reynold who is 17, a senior, blond and beautiful, have...