Wild Creatures

By NebulusCharlie

A WangXian Novel. Wei Ying is walking home one night and finds Lan Zhan, in an alley, passed out. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Tattoos
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146

Chapter 130

535 71 34
By NebulusCharlie

Tuesday was filled with activities, and there was no time to feel sad. First, it was getting the children ready for school, and then breakfast time. Today, they had a surprise addition in the form of XiChen joining them.

He had mostly moved out from the manor, and completely moved out from the apartment he used to share with Lan Zhan, so his coming to have breakfast here meant there was another reason.

While the kids used the bathroom before they set off for school, XiChen came to meet Lan Zhan and Wei Ying in the hallway where they were waiting.

"WangJi, I hate to spring this on you at such short notice, but one of our clients is asking for your expertise. I left all the details with your secretary... you didn't have any plans today, did you?" He says, looking worriedly between them.

"I was going to spend the day looking over contracts before we send them to our lawyers," Lan Zhan replies, "but I can do that in between meetings."

"Oh, maybe that's just as well. I confess, I had an ulterior motive for dropping by. I was going to enlist your help in that project." He wiggles his eyebrows, looks around furtively and then stage whispers to Wei Ying, "I wanted to surprise A-Jue. He's got his eye on a rare cherry tree, and I finally managed to find a supplier. But he's only going to hold onto it today, so I was going to drive there to fetch it. A-Jue's garden is a little bit... shall we say, amateurish? And I never gave him anything as an engagement gift, so this will be my way of celebrating us." He looks very disappointed.

"Well, XiChen-Ge, if Lan Zhan has to go do architecture things, how about I come with you instead?" Wei Ying flexes his arms at the same time, smiling broadly. "These babies could do with a work out, only I've got to get back by three thirty, at school to pick up the children."

"Only if you want to," Lan Zhan tells him, throwing a warning glance at his older brother.

"Oh, absolutely!! It can be bonding time! We're practically family already," Wei Ying enthuses.

"Ah, that's wonderful! Can we set off now?"

Wei Ying is just about to answer when both children leave the bathroom and look way too invested in this conversation.

"I can drop them off and pick them up, it's no trouble," Lan Zhan says, looking at his watch.

"Oh, okay. Are you sure, Sweetheart?" Wei Ying sidehugs him, looking up at him. "Otherwise, we can figure something out."

"No need. I can juggle," Lan Zhan says, seriously.

"Well then, I guess we're set." He crouches down and gives warm hugs to both the boys, who are preoccupied with whispering between themselves and giggling, as six year olds are prone to do. "Be good for A-Die, okay?"

JingYi and A-Yuan both kiss his cheeks and hug him back.

"Bye Baba!" They wave, and leave Wei Ying with XiChen.

"Let's go!" XiChen says, terribly enthusiastic for someone going to buy a tree.

******************

It turns out that the only plant nursery to stock the very rare cherry tree sapling XiChen wants is far away.

Three hours away, actually.

Wei Ying doesn't notice it at first, because XiChen is casually chatting away with him. They talk about music tastes, how XiChen only ever started experiencing other styles later, after meeting Nie MingJue and Huaisang. He says, according to their Uncle, his preference plummeted from strictly classical music to grunge. That was a phase, he promises, laughing.

"What about now?" Wei Ying asks him, enjoying the last of the autumn sunshine on his face.

It's cooler outside now that they're coming to the end of October, but XiChen had thoughtfully started the heating up in the car as soon as they sat in it.

"Definitely a mix. MingJue loves rock, and by osmosis, I do too, but if left to my own devices, then I love romantic songs. Not even the ones that are blatant love songs, but there are ones I find myself sighing to. I can't explain it well, except they have a raw honesty about them, something touching," he confesses, the tips of his ears reddening.

"As opposed to contrived emotions?" Wei Ying guesses.

"Exactly!"

They take the next exit off the freeway and drive for a bit.

"What do you listen to, given the choice?" XiChen asks him, when they stop at a traffic light.

Wei Ying has to think about it. It's been a luxury he hasn't minded not having, because until recently, the hopping in between jobs and school on public transport meant his ears didn't get to taste anything, and he'd forgotten what it was like to simply lie on his bed and listen to the radio, or a favourite album. Had he known how rare that experience was going to become, he might have cherished it more.

He settles for radio music as his answer, when they pull into a garden centre.

What a place it is!

Even though it's past the optimum time for flowering, these plants are clearly looked after with care and love. Seasonal flowers highlighting bright splashes of reds and golds, pinks and purple blooms invite the customers from far, and as soon as they come closer, the addictive perfumes combine into a mouthwatering scent that pulls them in.

Neat pathways open up between all the different sections of the nursery, divided into what is going to bloom in the next season, and what is flowering now. These are just the flowers; up ahead are the different types of trees, ranging from mere shoots to saplings, to mid-grown young trees ready to plant in any garden.

Conifers and evergreens are separated, and every single plant has instructions on where best to plant it, whether it needs more sunshine or shade, what kind of plant food, and how much watering is ideal. There are also suggestions on where the plants will work best, as border decoration or part of a group collective, and there are suggestions on which plants work well together.

Wei Ying works out which plants are best for attracting honey bees, because like golden stars, there are tiny cute bees dancing on the corners of each card, ranging from one to five depending on how much the bees loved that particular plant.

The whole visit is incredibly informative and interesting, a new experience for both of them.

Wei Ying has never had a reason to be in a garden centre because his apartment never had a garden to begin with, and he didn't want to kill off a fern through inattentive care. Hardly having enough time for A-Yuan, let alone himself, meant houseplants were a no-no.

But for someone who commented on the state of MingJue's garden, Wei Ying thinks XiChen should have some idea of what he's looking for.

He had assumed they would look for whoever XiChen had spoken to, explain things and pick up the cherry tree, and then leave. But XiChen seemed to be in no apparent hurry, his walking pace relaxed and slow as they meandered through the big leaf plant section.

The smell of pizza and garlic suddenly hits them, and like a lover's call, Wei Ying's stomach answers back rather loudly, embarrassing him.

"Oh my, I'm a terrible host!" XiChen says, taking his elbow and guiding him past huge elephant palms and foliage like intrepid jungle explorers finding an existing civilization for the first time. "Let's have some lunch."

Wei Ying is half exasperated and half amused at him, but it's not as if he can disagree; his stomach has hopped onto the table already, clutching a knife and fork armed for sustenance.

They wind up sharing a pizza and garlic bread, and XiChen convinces him to order chocolate cake for dessert, stating, "what face shall I show my brother if he asks?"

It was a solid argument, and conversation drifts to favourite food and best restaurants visited.

It's only afterwards, Wei Ying realises that his phone has been unnaturally silent and he pulls it out to check it.

"No signal?" He says, showing XiChen his screen.

"Hmm, it is out of the way," he replies.

"I would have thought a place like this would have WiFi..." Wei Ying looks around for a sign with the relevant information, but there isn't one.

"It's fine, let's just get what we came for," XiChen says, settling their bill before Wei Ying can pull out his card. "Big brother privileges," he beams when Wei Ying tries to protest.

"I can afford it now," Wei Ying grumbles.

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to," XiChen tells him, laughing at him. "To me, you're the same as my Didi, and to that end, you don't get to pay for anything if I'm around. I hope you don't mind, it's second nature to me now, and WangJi understands."

Wei Ying has no choice but to nod reluctantly.

They leave the quaint little cabin styled cafe, and again, Wei Ying expects them to either go to the clearly labelled customer service centre, or at least find a member of staff and collect the tree, but no.

When he mentions this, plus that it's going to take another three hours to get home, XiChen says he wants to purchase some other plants which caught his eye, if only he can remember where he saw them. Maybe he should have taken a picture, or remembered the names, he belatedly moans, and as a result, they comb through the entire nursery twice more before XiChen is satisfied.

It takes a further hour to add the special cherry tree, and load the car up with all their purchases after queuing up, and Wei Ying feels exhausted when he finally gets to sit back in the car to go home.

The next time XiChen looks over at him, Wei Ying has fallen asleep with his head resting against his window, and his arms crossed over his chest and hugging himself tightly as if he's cold. XiChen reaches behind them and picks up the blanket he keeps in his car, draping it over Wei Ying's body at the next traffic light.

All in all, today has been quite the success...

*************

Wei Ying jerks awake suddenly, when the cold air hits his face, confusing him. He's also hit with the soothing, comforting scent of sandalwood and he knows XiChen doesn't smell like that. Warm lips kiss his forehead.

"Sorry for waking you," Lan Zhan says, and that's what makes Wei Ying open his eyes blearily.

"Lan Zhan? Where...um?" He looks around, trying not to panic at his unfamiliar surroundings.

"We're at Xiongzhang's new home." Lan Zhan explains, holding him tighter and closer to his chest.

It really is too cold and Wei Ying whimpers, nuzzling his face into Lan Zhan's neck wanting to shield himself from it. Lan Zhan huffs out a laugh, managing to sound amused with him as well as contrite for disturbing his slumber.

Wei Ying knows he's being carried from XiChen's car into his home, and he only dares to look up when the warmth hits him. Lan Zhan takes him straight into the lounge.

"I missed you, today," Wei Ying murmurs.

Lan Zhan looks incredibly fond of him then, and puts him down on the two-seater. He tucks the blanket around Wei Ying's shoulders more securely, agreeing with him. There's a fierce longing in his beautiful golden eyes that has nothing to do with sustenance.

It's only when he moves away, that Wei Ying sees that they're not alone; Huaisang and MingJue are watching them with amusement in their matching eyes, while XiChen is holding out a plate.

"We're eating here?" Wei Ying mumbles, a little out of it. "And don't we still have to unload your car?" He startles himself awake.

"Relax, A-Xian. Didi and MingJue had a little competition," he winks.

"Mn. I won." Lan Zhan comes to sit next to Wei Ying, wearing a smug smirk and putting down a glass of wine for him.

"It was a tie," MingJue says, with a look of friendly annoyance.

"If you say so," Lan Zhan replies, and XiChen throws him a warning look to stop it.

Wei Ying figures out later than his stomach that he's quite hungry, and if he doesn't start eating as soon as possible, his stomach is going to protest loudly with picket signs and a marching band.

The conversation drifts between different topics, until Wei Ying says, "I guess you saw your surprise! Did you like your engagement gift?" He aims that at MingJue, who looks mystified.

"My gift?"

Belatedly, Wei Ying remembers that XiChen had said it was a surprise, but surely the huge man would have figured it out when he saw the rare cherry tree?

XiChen laughs awkwardly, patting his arm rather forcefully. "Remember how you were saying that it was all your garden was missing? A cherry tree, that specific variety?

"I did?" MingJue looks nonplussed between them, rubbing the back of his neck. "I must have...."

Huaisang snorts, covering it up by pretending to take a drink from his cocktail.

Wei Ying gets the feeling that he's missing something, but then he's distracted by a cool thumb tracing across his knuckles.

Then it's time to go home.

XiChen thanks him for his company and then Wei Ying and Lan Zhan are off, driving back to the manor.

They reach home just in time to tuck the children in their beds, and Wei Ying feels tired enough to sink into his bed, already falling asleep before his head hits the pillow.

**************

Wednesday morning, they're late.

It's a wild ride through breakfast and school, and when they return, XiChen is waiting for them, once again.

"I was wondering if both of you would like to see the old Town Hall? The modifications have been completed and it's ready for us to invite people to begin using it. I just wanted your opinions on whether we've missed anything," he says, throwing a guilty look towards his brother.

They agree, and if Lan Zhan sounds stilted, no one says anything about it. At least they're together today.

Wei Ying hadn't liked that part of yesterday, missing Lan Zhan colouring his lovely experience of the garden centre with the constant ache he only understood later.

They take separate cars to the Town Hall, and when they get there, Wei Ying looks around in awe.

The whole place has been transformed into a much friendlier, welcoming area. The previous town hall building had resembled an old style prep school, and some measures of a cosmetic makeover had been implemented. Now it was a little fashionable, with tall glass windows and a huge sign over the doors: WangXian Soup Kitchen and Refuge Centre.

They both turn to stare at XiChen with questions in their eyes.

"Xiongzhang?"

"It seemed apt," he shrugs back, not hiding his smile. "It wouldn't have come about if it wasn't for both of you, and I thought it was suitable. Your names are on the paperwork, so there!"

All that's missing is him sticking his tongue out at them.

XiChen proudly takes them past the spotless steel and granite kitchen, through larders and pantries already filled with tinned food and dried stuff, things that won't easily go bad and have a long shelf life.

There's a common room with a pool table and a card table, a television and a space where several computers are bolted onto tables. Wei Ying spots a few games consoles, a table with colours and art supplies. A fully stocked bookshelf with the latest titles sits next to it.

Then they're climbing stairs to the next level.

All the rooms have been converted to accommodate up to four people in bunk beds, and there are quite a few bathrooms stocked with toothpaste and other daily necessities, ready for the new occupants.

"We've also contracted the local barbers and they will visit on a weekly basis, to provide free haircuts and grooming, should anyone need it. Also, this address will show up as a place of residence for employment forms. Can either of you think of anything we've missed?" XiChen asks them.

"The thing you said, about the barbers...do you think they would be willing to offer apprenticeship positions? And come to think of it, there must be people out there willing to help?! We should contact local businesses and ask them!" Wei Ying feels the beginning of excitement tingling in his veins.

"That's a great idea!" XiChen quickly types on his phone, adding it to what is presumably a list.

They go back and forth with ideas, discussing possible collaborations with other homeless charities, as XiChen takes them upstairs to the last remaining level: the attic. At the moment, it's being used for storage at the moment, and there are numerous mattresses and non-perishable food items carefully stocked here, as well as towels and extra bed linens, and clean clothes and underwear.

"In the interests of keeping everyone safe, the rooms are divided between genders for now, but when we save enough money to start a second sanctuary, it will be primarily for one group. We're still working on the details." XiChen looks tired but happy.

"I can't believe you've achieved so much, XiChen-Ge!" Wei Ying enthuses. "I mean, it can't have been easy, what with your business, and having to move out of yours and Lan Zhan's place, plus organising all of this!"

"Mn. Xiongzhang is amazing," Lan Zhan agrees.

They're coming back down when Wei Ying's phone rings.

"It's grandmother," he murmurs before picking it up. "Hi, grandma," he says, already smiling. "Hang on, I'll ask."

Lan Zhan has already heard her request and fights to keep from smiling. Wei Ying cannot suspect a thing.

"Grandmother wants to know if she can pick me up from the manor?"

"Do you want to go? You can, and do not worry about the children. I can pick them up and come and collect you, when you're ready." Lan Zhan tells him, after pretending to think about it.

Wei Ying beams at him and gives a positive answer to his grandmother.

"It'll be nice to have an ordinary visit with her," he muses. "Maybe we can read some of my mother's letters, too."

He misses the glances shared by the Lan brothers.

They separate at their cars as XiChen has an appointment at the office and Lan Zhan drives them back home.

Baoshan Sanren is waiting for Wei Ying on the grounds of the manor, leaning against a black, sleek Bugatti. She's wearing a deep red power suit with a black silk shirt, and the way she contrasts with her vehicle makes for a stark image of startling beauty.

"As long as she's here..." Wei Ying runs towards her as soon as he's out of the car. "Grandma, do you want to see the secret room under the fountain?"

"Sure!" She says, confidently, taking him into her arms and hugging him tightly. "Lead the way, Haizi."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 435 11
Wei Wuxian being himself and immortal and the cultivation world going insane because of him. And Lan Wangji is helplessly in love. The Yiling Laozu w...
10.8K 879 6
A Vampire AU Completed.・゜゜・Short story Wei WuXian, a thousand years old Vampire gets involved in a fight with other vampires and amidst the chaos of...
23K 1.6K 5
Wei Wuxian was chilling and minding his own business when Lan Wangji mistook him as a homeless man. Lan Wangji then took Wei Wuxian under his wing...
34.5K 1.2K 15
Wei Ying,along with the Jiang clan have been invited to cloud recesses for lessons,where the young Wei meets Lan Zhan. Wei Ying was mistreated by hi...