Annabeth Chase the Triwizard...

By AsexualConfusion

Annabeth was expecting a normal end to summer. She was expecting to end the day with Percy and wait for her f... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter four
Chapter Five
Chapter six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Author's Note

Chapter Twenty Six

2.3K 84 15
By AsexualConfusion

The light was almost blinding as Annabeth's head broke the surface. It was also really cold. Percy kept a steady current underneath them so Annabeth didn't have to use her injured arm, and both of them just floated there for a second, getting used to the sun. Annabeth put her arms around Percy's shoulders, leaning in close.

"You did it," Percy said, kissing her.

Annabeth smiled against his lips and held him tighter, trying to absorb some body heat in the frigid air.

"What did the selkies say?" she asked.

Percy rolled his eyes. "They wanted me to tell my dad that they managed to befriend the giant squid. They're really proud of it. I didn't tell them that giant squids are already friendly."

Annabeth laughed, and Percy guided them both to shore so Annabeth didn't have to use her arm. As soon as they were close, they were met by Madam Pomfrey, who looked mad as she aggressively wrapped blankets around Percy and Annabeth. She grabbed Annabeth's injured arm and pulled off the sad bandage, gentle despite her angry expression.

"What in the everloving world did this?!" she exclaimed, taking Annabeth's other arm and dragging her farther inland.

"A kelpie did it," Annabeth replied. "I'm fine." She pulled her blanket tighter around herself as Percy joined her, looking very amused.

"A kelpie?!" Madam Pomfrey turned towards the judges table, fuming. "You left a kelpie in the lake?!"

"I had Hagrid remove the kelpies," Dumbledore said, standing. "You're quite sure that was what injured you, Miss Chase?"

"No. It was a plimpy."

Dumbledore tilted his head. "I will talk to Hagrid about it. Though the mercheiftaness herself assured me that all the kelpies had been relocated for the task. You're very lucky to have escaped with such a minimal injury."

"You call zat minimal?" Fleur, who Annabeth hadn't noticed before, said. She was wrapped in a blanket too, and she looked worried out of her mind. Annabeth's arm wasn't nearly enough to warrant that much worry, especially to Fleur. Then Annabeth noticed something.

The little girl from the lake, the one who looked so much like Fleur, wasn't there. But Fleur herself was soaking wet, holding her blanket tight around her.

"Where's your sister?" Annabeth asked.

Fleur sobbed softly. "She's in there somewhere! But ze grindylows got me and I couldn't get away! It has almost been an hour!"

"Nothing's going to happen to her if an hour passes," Percy said comfortingly. "That's just something they said to tell you there's a time limit. Someone will get her."

"You are ze boy from ze ball," Fleur said. "But you do not go to school here, yes?"

"I go to school in New York," Percy said. "They let me ditch to come for the task."

"You are Anna's most beloved?"

Annabeth would have burst into laughter at the name if not for whatever disinfectant Madam Pomfrey had just applied to her bite. A hiss of air escaped between her clenched teeth and she squeezed Percy's hand as an almost unbearable sting took over her arm.

She cursed repeatedly under her breath, but she was careful not to move her arm and channeled the pain through her other hand, the one wrapped around Percy's.

"I don't know how I did it, but yeah," Percy said in a slightly strained voice.

"Shut up, Seaweed Brain," Annabeth muttered, letting her head rest on the pole behind her, still strangling his hand. "You know you're amazing."

Just then, the surface of the lake splashed, and Viktor and Hermione emerged, but something about Viktor was a little... fishy.

Literally. His head was the head of a shark, but a second later he pointed his wand at it, and it shrunk back into his long haired human head. Hermione threw her arms around him, and they made their way to shore, where Madam Pomfrey attacked them with blankets and aggressive concern.

"Annabeth!" Hermione said, giving Annabeth a quick hug, but pulling away at Annabeth's wince, which was when she noticed the bloody bite. "What happened?"

"Kelpie," Annabeth said, finally letting go of Percy's hand. Percy made a good show of shaking it out, so Annabeth smacked him lightly in the arm.

Hermione gasped. "But kelpies are so dangerous! They left one in the lake?"

"They say they didn't," Annabeth said, giving a sideways glance to Percy. He seemed to be thinking along the same lines as her. Dumbledore said himself that the kelpies had been removed, and Annabeth trusted his word. Even more, he had said that Hagrid had been in charge of removing them, and Annabeth trusted Hagrid even more. How could one have been left behind?

Then another thought occurred to her as Madam Pomfrey bandaged her arm and rewrapped her blanket so tightly she could barely move. She had been up at the surface for a while. Where was Harry?

As if her thought had summoned him, the surface of the lake splashed again and three heads broke the surface. Harry, Ron, and the little girl. Annabeth sighed. She had told him the girl would be fine.

Fleur tried to run straight into the water to get her sister. The only thing stopping her was Madam Maxime, who was barely holding her back as she hysterically fought to get free. Percy Weasley didn't get that. He splashed right into the lake and tightly embraced his brother, all but dragging him back to shore.

Madam Pomfrey made quick work of everyone, and pretty soon they were all sat down and straight-jacketed in blankets with a cup of hot potion in their systems. Annabeth tapped her foot against the ground, though she was grateful for the warmth. Percy, however, kept squirming impatiently like a worm.

"I can't move," he complained, twisting around. "I don't even need a blanket. I feel like one of those mini hot dogs. This is stupid. What?"

"Nothing," Annabeth laughed. "You just get so whiny when you're restless."

"I do not!"

A screeching sound reached their ears. Annabeth turned her head to see Dumbledore crouching by the lake, where the head of a selkie was above the water, screaming. So the selkies were just like the egg.

"She's telling him what happened," Percy whispered. He snorted. "She just called Viktor Krum a misshapen fish man."

The selkie turned her head and screeched something at Percy. Percy blinked, then screeched something back. Dumbledore looked over at Percy, amused, then went back to his conversation.

"A conference before we give the marks, I think." As he passed Percy, he muttered, "I didn't know your father was so important to be included in annual undersea meetings."

"Uh, he's a biologist," Percy said hurriedly. "For magical creatures. The best in the business. He's really respected."

"Of course," Dumbledore said. He winked, then went to join the judges at their table.

"He knows," Annabeth muttered, smirking.

Percy's mouth fell open. "He pretended not to on purpose!"

Laughing, Annabeth pressed a kiss to Percy's cheek. "Seaweed Brain."

"Wise Girl," Percy grumbled.

Annabeth rolled her eyes, resting her head on Percy's shoulder. They stayed like that for a few minutes, until the judges were ready.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have reached our decision. Merchieftaness Murcus has told us exactly what happened at the bottom of the lake, and we have therefore decided to award marks out of fifty for each of the champions, as follows...

"Fleur Delacuor, though she demonstrated excellent use of the Bubble-Head Charm, was attacked by grindylows as she approached her goal, and failed to retrieve her hostage. We award her twenty-five points."

"I deserved zero," Fleur muttered despite cheers from the stands.

"Annabeth Chase, who also used a variety of the Bubble-Head Charm, was first to return with her hostage, though she returned one minute outside the time limit of an hour. We therefore award her forty seven points."

"Nice," Percy grinned, bumping his shoulder into Annabeth's.

"Viktor Krum used an incomplete form of Transfiguration, which was nevertheless effective, and was second to return with his hostage. We award him forty points.

"Harry Potter used gillyweed to great effect. He returned last, and well outside the time limit of an hour. However, the Merchieftainess informs us that Mr. Potter was one of the first to reach the hostages, and that the delay in his return was due to his determination to return all hostages to safety, not merely his own. Most of the judges feel that this shows moral fiber and merits full marks. However... Mr. Potter's score is forty five points."

Annabeth did some quick math in her head. She and Harry were tied— for first place.

"The third and final task will take place at dusk on the twenty fourth of June," Bagman continued. "The champions will be notified of what is coming precisely one month beforehand. Thank you all for your support of the champions."

The crowd cheered as Madam Pomfrey herded the champions and captives past the stands, across the grounds, into the castle.

***

Annabeth almost fell asleep at the after party. She was exhausted, and her muscles felt like jelly after all that exertion. The party lasted hours, and it was all Annabeth could do to stay awake. It was only because of Vera's flash bang spell that Annabeth was able to get away.

The dorm was dark, so Annabeth felt her way to her bed. She dug a little into her trunk, looking for nectar, before she remembered that the goddess of magic had neglected to provide her with some. So instead she pulled pajamas on and collapsed onto her bed, falling asleep immediately.

***

What was it with dreams after tasks?

First, Annabeth was in her bed, and then the next thing she knew, she was back in that dusty room, with the expensive looking couches and the lit fireplace and the air of... wrongness, like whatever was here went against everything else.

She was in the same spot as last time, with the sofa's back to her and blocking the fireplace. The hunched figure was there, too, and so was the snake. All of Annabeth's instincts told her to get out of sight, but her feet wouldn't move, and neither would the rest of her.

The hunched figure sighed impatiently, a loud noise in the silent room.

"Patience, Wormtail." It was the same small, raspy voice as last time, dry like it was coming out of something inhuman.

The light turned green, and the fire raised higher, creeping past the fireplace.

"My lord."

"You're late."

"I apologize, my Lord." it was, again, the same voice as last time, and again it was familiar to Annabeth, but she just couldn't place it. "The meeting went on longer than it did last time. I've only just gotten away."

"I will look past it," Raspy Voice said coolly. "If you bring good news."

"Harry Potter completed the second task successfully, my Lord," Fireplace Guy said. "He used gillyweed, just as I planned. He emerged last, but was given almost full marks. He now holds first place."

"And the Chase girl?"

"She holds first as well." Fireplace Guy's voice had gone tense, maybe fearful. "They are tied, my Lord."

"You told me you were taking care of it." Raspy Voice's voice had gone colder, angry. dangerous. "Did you lie to me?"

"No! Never, my Lord! I made sure there was a kelpie in the lake, even set it on her trail. She got away, my Lord."

"A kelpie. You thought she would be stupid enough to engage in one? You thought she would not simply swim away?"

"I hoped," Fireplace Guy said. "But, my Lord... she didn't swim away. She fought it. She was injured when she emerged."

"You mean to tell me a fourteen year old girl fought off a grown kelpie?"

"I do, my Lord. I will find another way to keep her in check."

"Do whatever it takes. It is imperative that Potter wins the tournament. Keep your cover, but I want Chase out of the picture. She is a mystery, a wild card. Find out what you can about her, and her so-called 'school.' Do you understand me?"

"Yes, my Lord."

"My Lord." it was the hunched figure, the one who Annabeth remembered was called Wormtail. "What about using her?"

"Have you no faith in me, Wormtail?" Raspy said. "I have a plan. But I need her out of the competition. She is dangerous."

"You suspect something, my Lord?"

"Nothing but an inkling," Raspy said. "I am unsure. Watch Chase closely. Incapacitate her if you have to. Do what you must to get her out of the Tournament."

"It is bound by magic, my Lord. As long as she still breathes, she must compete."

"As I said."

"... yes, my Lord."

***

Annabeth bolted upright in her bed, her eyes shooting open. She was sweaty, out of breath. She pulled her legs in and rested her head on her knees, breathing.

Annabeth had almost forgotten about the dream before the first task somehow. Now she went back to it and reviewed it.

That was Voldemort. It had to be. He was planning something for this tournament, which Annabeth already knew, but now... it was different.

There was a spy in Hogwarts. He had mentioned a meeting, which meant he was posing as a teacher. But who was it? Her mind went to Snape first. He had always hated Harry. And Karkaroff did too, now that Annabeth thought about it. But Annabeth knew people. And people didn't outwardly show dislike for someone they were planning to kill. Spies didn't act like spies. That was why they were so useful.

So who?

Hogwarts had a lot of teachers. Annabeth didn't even know all of their names and subjects. That would be step one, she decided. She needed a list of the teachers. She would keep her eye out meanwhile, of course, but she needed information.

And then there was another thing.

That dream, the people in them, they were talking about her. Voldemort knew who she was, the basics at least, and he saw her as a threat. The spy, whoever they were, was already trying to get her out of the Tournament. The kelpie had been left in the lake on purpose by the spy, and Annabeth wasn't supposed to have gotten away.

Someone at Hogwarts was trying to kill her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

762K 16.9K 16
Percy Jackson just won his own war, and now Chiron wants to send him, Annabeth, Nico and Thalia to a wizard school in England? Not to mention it's ca...
49.4K 1K 35
Percy finds out that he is a descendant from a very powerful dark wizard. And because he is the only person that is half demigod and half wizard, the...
Astrapi By Belle

Fanfiction

1.5K 50 5
In which Seraphina Potter considers herself to be to worlds most screwed over half-blood in history. ------ "I hate you, you realize that right?" "Tr...
111K 2.6K 41
Percy finds out the wizarding world is real. Now he must go to Hogwarts and compete in the Quarwizard Tournament representing Camp Half Blood while t...