The Masked Murderer

By KellyBlack_20

**Currently Extending** **2017 WATTY AWARD WINNER** Olivia Chastain's life was seemingly perfect until she wa... More

Authors Note
The Murders
Recovery
The Return
The Pool
Party Plans
Jess's Bloody Birthday Party- Part I
Jess's Bloody B-Day Party- Part II
The Aftermath
Investigation
Captive
Escape
Epilogue
Thank you!!

Hunted

410 17 3
By KellyBlack_20

Melancholy hung in the air. Thoughts of  Corrine surfaced through my mind, and dread settled in the pit of my stomach. Reality finally sank in.

 Corrine was not coming back.

 The Masked Murderer was still out there, somewhere, preying on his next victim or even hunting down the next unfortunate soul.

The Galveston Police, in conjunction with the FBI and the State of Texas, were exerting every effort to hunt him down, locate him, and put him behind bars once and for all. However, it wasn't an easy task. The Masked Murderer meticulously planned each murder with sophistication and diligence, aiming to avoid capture.

All of us who attended Jess's birthday party on that tragic night were left traumatized. A trauma that would forever be etched into our hearts and our minds. I'd been grieving for the past few weeks, yet I knew I couldn't let Corrine's death consume me. However, I was determined not to let her passing be in vain either. I wanted the Masked Murderer to be found, charged, and justice served.

My innermost desire was for vigilante justice- true justice, not a scenario in which the courts would permit him to continue his life in a prison that resembled a private gated community. Tying him up and letting each of the victims torture him just like he did us.

Only then would true justice be served.

***

I awoke to the aroma of bacon floating through the air and wafting its way into my nose. The not-so-distant sizzling sounds permeated the air of our apartment.

As I lifted myself up in bed, I stretched my arms out and let out a yawn. Clenching my fists, I rubbed my eyes.

"Charles?" I called out, awaiting his response, but heard nothing. I climbed out of bed, making my way toward the closet. Reaching in, I grabbed my white robe from off the hook. Slipping my arms into the warm and cozy sleeves, I wrapped it around my body and tied it in the front.

I strolled down the hallway and into the kitchen; to my surprise, Nathan was frying bacon and pouring waffle mix into the waffle maker. The soft strains of radio tunes played in the background from the old black stereo sitting atop our countertop.

Nathan's eyes met mine as soon as I walked in. "Good morning, Olivia!" he greeted with a smile, revealing a set of pristine white teeth.

My brows furrowed in curiosity as to why Nathan was cooking breakfast in our kitchen. "Where's Charles?" I asked, bewilderment evident on my face.

Nathan shrugged, "He got called into work."

"And why are you here?" I inquired, still bewildered by his sudden appearance in our apartment on a Friday morning.

Nate scooped up an ice cream spoonful of waffle mix and poured it onto the waffle maker. He then turned to me, gazing into my eyes.

"I needed a place to stay for a few weeks." Nathan explained, "I'll be out of here before the end of the month. I just need to save up for the first and last month's deposit on a new apartment."

The realization that Nathan would be living with Charles and me for almost a month caused my eyes to widen in disbelief. After everything we'd been through, I couldn't fathom why Charles hadn't consulted with me first. The mere thought of him casually agreeing to Nathan's stay ignited a simmering anger within me, the heat rising in my chest.

Mentally and emotionally, I knew this arrangement would be taxing. I questioned whether I could handle having Nathan in our home for such an extended period, especially after everything I'd been through. Already, he seemed to be settling in, making himself at home by using my favorite ice cream scooper for his waffle mix.

"Oh, I hope you don't mind," Nathan began, a sheepish smile spread across his face, "but I spotted the waffle mix in your pantry, so I helped myself to it."

I let out a sigh, "Alright, Nathan."

Turning away, I started toward the bedroom, only to pause when Nathan's voice echoed behind me.

"Liv!" He called out, his tone questioning, "Aren't you joining me for breakfast?"

Liv?!

My eyebrows knitted together in confusion.

No one calls me Liv.

I could already foresee it- this was going to be a very long month.

***

That afternoon, the bright streams of light shining down from the sun helped elevate my mood from down and dreary to a bit more optimistic. So, I decided it was time to pay my parents a visit. I hadn't seen them in a few weeks, and Mom called me yesterday, concerned.

"Mija- Oliva, why haven't I seen you lately?" she said in her usual compassionate tone as I listened to the voicemail message she left, "Mija, come visit me and Dad, please."

Her message tore at my heart, cutting it down the middle. Without hesitation, I dialed her number so fast that flames could've ignited at my fingertips. Pacing around our living room as I waited for Mom to answer, I propped the phone up to my ear.

"Olivia!" Mom answered, her voice exhibiting an exuberance of happiness and warmth, "Are you coming by to see me and Dad? We miss you so much, Mija."

My heart melted at Mom's joyfulness, "Of course, Mom." I said, soaking in her radiant words, "I'll be over around later this afternoon."

We said our goodbyes and ended the call.

As I held my phone, I gazed down at it, wondering when Jess would call me again. The distance that morphed between us was tugging at me, and grief was pulling at my heart. However, I knew she was going through a lot with Corrine's death. It had been almost a month since I last heard from her. I texted her a week ago, and she never responded. I didn't hold it against her; I understood she was in her own turmoil after experiencing something so psychologically impactful and profoundly vile.

Stepping out of my apartment, I strolled to my car, which was parked right out front. I opened up my car door and slid into the front seat. Reaching into my purse, I grabbed my black Ray-Bans and put them over my eyes. Twisting the key, the engine growled, and I pressed down on the gas pedal. The tires kicked dust up into the air as I reversed out of my spot.

With my windows rolled down and the warm Texas air drifting into my car, I made the journey to my parent's house.

"We've been so worried about you, Mija." Mom's big, brown puppy dog eyes glistened compassionately. She stood at the front door, welcoming me in.

"Mom, I'm fine." I gazed down at the ground. "Jess is going through a lot. After all, Corrine was her cousin." I felt a rise of emotions dwell within me.

"That's horrific! I can't imagine what Jess is going through." Mom's eyes met mine. "I still can't believe they haven't caught that psycho!"

A loud bang at the door startled both Mom and me. Dad turned his head toward the door, peering at it as his eyeglasses hung below his eyes.

"Who could that be?" Mom asked, fear lacing her voice, "Are you expecting anyone, John?" her eyes landing on Dad.

He shook his head, "No." He placed the book he was reading down on the coffee table in front of him and stood up from the couch. Removing his eyeglasses, he set them on the end table.

"Hi! I'm Alexis Strayer from Galveston Channel Five News," introduced the woman in a pink suit jacket and skirt herself hastily, holding a microphone in her hand. A cameraman stood directly behind her. "Does Olivia Chastain live here?" she peered into the house.

Dad's eyebrow furrowed as he responded, "No!" He slammed the door shut.

"Who was that?" Mom's eyes widened.

"Another damn nosy reporter," Dad said in a frustrated tone.

A loud bang at the door again, followed by a shout, "Have you heard about Lacy Donovan?!" the reporter's voice shouted, "She was stabbed and nearly killed by the Masked Murderer last night!"

My mouth hung agape at the news, "I went to high school with Lacy!"

I hastily made my way back to the front door and opened it up wide. The reporter and her cameraman were still standing on the doorstep.

"Did you say Lacy Donovan was nearly killed by the Masked Murderer?"

The reporter's eyes grew big. "Yes, and you are?"

"I'm Olivia Chastain."

"The Masked Murderer hunted her down. And law enforcement believes he's after another young woman. I think her name is Jessica Jones, but she goes by Jess."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My heart shuttered against my ribcage, and my breath lodged in my throat.

"No! Not Jess!" 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 268 5
This is the story of a unwanted guest who sudden appearance in kareena life .how they gonna deal with It.
3.3K 374 13
Some people are obsessed with ghosts while some are interested but the real question is do ghosts even exists? What if you summon with a ghost? Will...
107K 16K 62
How Is it to have Found Love in Childhood Right ! A dream come true for many, Your soulmate is none other than your best friend from years Ever thoug...
29.9M 655K 33
For months Summer is trapped in a cellar with the man who took her - and three other girls: Rose, Poppy, and Violet. His perfect, pure flowers. His f...