Breaker, Broken | Jorah Mormo...

By SprintingFox

The sweet butterfly of House Targaryen narrowly escaped with her life as the rebellion came to an end. Hidden... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Final Author's Note

Chapter 5

592 29 3
By SprintingFox

They could only wait.

Daenerys sent a group of Unsullied in to speak to the slaves of Meereen, guiding them in a revolt against the masters.

Saera wasn't entirely sure she agreed with her sister's idea. She liked the concept of giving the Meereenese slaves control over their own city, but wondered if it was right to encourage them to kill the masters. Though she appreciated the thought that they would be taking power over those who hurt them, she'd liked what they'd done in Yunkai more: the slaves left without blood on their hands. Was it right to encourage the Meereenese to slay their own masters, to take on that guilt and darkness?

(She wondered if they were doing the wrong thing by weaponizing the suffering of each group they found. She wondered if it did more harm than good to command that they kill the masters themselves. She felt guilty for thinking any of it, for having any thoughts that opposed her sister's.

Maybe Saera was completely wrong and Daenerys was right. Maybe that's why her sister distrusted her.

Saera wished she'd learned more about politics.)

The gates were opened by the slaves, who welcomed Daenerys in by tossing their collars to the floor, leading her in by the hands and calling her Mhysa. Jorah, Ser Barristan, and Saera walked close behind, following her to a platform where she looked down at all the freed slaves, Meereenese and Yunkish alike. The surviving Masters had been gathered, awaiting Daenerys's judgment.

"Remind me, Ser Jorah," said Daenerys, "how many children did the Great Masters nail to mileposts?"

"One-hundred-and-sixty-three, Khaleesi."

"Yes, that was it." She looked at Grey Worm, nodding her head. He mobilized the Unsullied to do the same to as many Meereenese masters as it took to fill up the mileposts.

"Your Grace," said Ser Barristan uncomfortably. "May I have a word?" They stepped aside. "The city is yours. All these people, they're your subjects now. Sometimes it is better to answer injustice with mercy."

"I will answer injustice with justice," said Daenerys clearly.

Saera couldn't help but speak up, "Then how on earth do you expect them to see you as better than their Great Masters? You claim you are not here to give commands, you claim you are better and will give them freedom. But you made them spill blood on their own hands– these people may never have taken a life before this– and you brought upon them guilt... you encouraged them to listen to their most primal instincts. You are feeding them blood and making them enjoy this sadistic display."

"I would not have thought you to oppose killing," said Daenerys, narrowing her eyes.

"No, Your Grace, I am desensitized to performing the act myself. But even the Dornish taught me not to kill unnecessarily. I killed in Yunkai because we were going to be met with force, because they intended to use the Second Sons to back us down. But the amount I killed was minimal because the slave soldiers surrendered. And when we left, we did not slaughter the masters, we simply let it be and moved on."

She gestured to where the Meereenese were cheering as the masters yelled, trying to escape their fates, "You've made these people listen to their violent urges, you put blades in their hands, you turned slaves into murderers just as the Astapori masters did. Not all of them were in the fighting pits, some have never harmed anyone but now they have, because you made them want to. You're making them crave this 'justice,' as you call it, but really you're repeating the cycle the masters used. The target may be different but the act is more or less the same. They will see this and they may like it now, but what happens when there are no more masters and they realize you will do this to any criminal among them? Ser Barristan is right, you ought to show mercy. Imprison the masters if you must, or let us leave this city behind, too. People change when they see blood on their own hands, Daenerys. I used to be afraid of it but since I was realized as a killer... that stain is never washed away. Is this what you want for them?"

Daenerys was tense, glaring at Saera while both Ser Jorah and Ser Barristan dared not breathe a word. "Are you quite finished?" said Daenerys coldly.

"No," said Saera. "I never thought of it until now, but how do we know all the masters were guilty of the same crimes? Did they all allow slavery? Yes. But some were probably born into this legacy and do not know better and won't unless they are shown another way and given a chance to repent for what they've done." She noticed how Ser Jorah turned away, moved by her words. "There may be some masters that have more control than others. We met with only Kraznys and Greizhen, but there were other masters there. Maybe some were manipulated by others. They all committed wrongs but not to the same degree. Yet they all met the same fate. Is that... is that the justice system you intend to have in Westeros? Every crime is met with death or torture or dragon fire? These people glorify you now, Daenerys, and they appreciate you. But the line you draw between freeing slaves and becoming a master is... growing blurry."

If the dragons had been nearby, Saera was almost sure that Daenerys would have tried to roast her alive. "Pazavor Egrio,"called Daenerys, beckoning one of the Unsullied forward and pointing up at the pyramid. "Jikagon lēda Saera sīr kostas iderēbagon zirȳla tistālion." (T: Loyal Spear. Accompany Saera so she may choose her room.)

Saera was quiet, letting Loyal Spear lead her into the pyramid.

It became apparent very quickly that Daenerys had not placed her on the same floor as the rest of them. She was a floor below, and though her quarters were much larger, Saera felt it was a clear punishment, to be shoved aside. It felt wrong to be staying in a pyramid that slaves died to build.

She'd been told that Daenerys was sighted at the top of the pyramid, overlooking the city and looking refreshed at the sound of pained screams as the masters were nailed up, all the way down the path they'd taken to reach Meereen.

Saera could not find sleep. Nor could she find it in herself to walk around and explore or try to talk to anyone. She didn't feel up to it.

She received another letter from Oberyn, one sent from King's Landing.

"King Joffrey is dead," announced Saera at the next Small Council meeting (which she was somehow still allowed to attend). "Poisoned at his own wedding. Margaery Tyrell remains in the capital and it is expected she will wed the newly crowned King Tommen. Oberyn tells me Tywin is attempting to push a marriage between Cersei Lannister and Loras Tyrell. The alliance with the Reach is strong."

She cleared her throat, "There is more news– the suspected killer is Tyrion Lannister. He's to have a trial, and most expect he will die; Oberyn will be one of the judges and it is possible he is the only one who will be unbiased in giving a verdict." She folded the letter up. "The capital is in chaos but unfortunately is also means it is too-well guarded. Tywin Lannister won't risk any harm coming to his grandson. There is talk of an alliance with the Vale, as well, which doesn't bode well. We're at a severe disadvantage. We don't even have a way to get to Westeros."

"We do," said Ser Barristan. "We've taken the Meereenese navy, Your Grace."

"The Second Sons took the Meereenese navy," clarified Daario.

Daenerys raised a brow. "Who told you to take the navy?"

"No one."

"So why did you do it?"

Daario shrugged. "I heard you liked ships."

"How many ships?"

"Ninety-three, Your Grace," said Ser Barrsitan.

"How many men can they carry?"

"Ninety-three-hundred, not counting sailors. As Princess Saera says, we are at a severe disadvantage; the Lannisters have more. However, they've been fighting Joffrey's wars for years. They are tired, dispersed. And now their king is dead. Eight-thousand Unsullied, two-thousand Second Sons, sailing into Blackwater Bay and storming the gates without warning."

Daenerys looked at Jorah, who winced. "It's hard to say. It could be enough, particularly if Prince Oberyn calls upon the Dornish army. But we're not fighting to make you queen of King's Landing. Ten-thousand men can't conquer Westeros."

"The old houses will flock to our queen when she crosses the Narrow Sea," said Ser Barristan.

"The old houses will flock to whichever side they think will win, as they always have."

"They will flock to her if they fear her," said Saera quietly. "Which is not necessarily a good thing. I will fight in any battle we need but we cannot use the same tactics that have been employed here on the people of Westeros. We need a detailed battle and negotiation plan, a way to appeal to all Seven Kingdoms. The Dornish will support us not because they truly love the Targaryens, but because they want revenge for what was done to Elia Martell, our niece, and nephew. The Greyjoys are still rebelling, the North is in chaos, Oberyn has heard that word from the Wall talks of a wildling attack that no one is responding to. House Tully has fallen, House Arryn remains self-serving and we cannot hope to win over a boy lord suckling on his mother's teats. We'll find no allies in the Baratheons, either. We are outmatched and everyone has their own problems. We cannot hope to succeed solely based on conquering King's Landing."

She pressed her fists to the table. "We should help restore the Riverlands and the North to their rightful rulers. Gain them as allies, and then perhaps we could do something about the Vale. The only thing Oberyn believes may get Lysa Arryn to hand over her knights is the promise of making Robin King Consort. He's... perhaps twelve or thirteen now. In the time it may take us to accomplish something outside of King's Landing, he may be old enough to wed. Visenya Targaryen took the Vale when there was a boy lord. We can use a number of tactics to make them yield if we're smart about it."

"If the Prince of Dorne wishes to recommend certain actions, I should gladly see him come here and tell me himself," said Daenerys tightly, perhaps not considering Saera's words because they came from Saera or because she was repeating what Oberyn suggested. "Ser Jorah, you said you had news?"

"Yes," he said, standing up. "From Yunkai. Without the Unsullied to enforce your rule, the Wise Masters have retaken control of the city. They've reenslaved the freedmen who stayed behind and have sworn to take revenge against you. And in Astapor, the council you installed to rule over the city has been overthrown by a butcher named Cleon who's declared himself 'His Imperial Majesty.'"

"This is the culture here," said Saera. "They will fight to revert to it. Perhaps if we'd focused more on educating and replacing the existing systems to grant them the ability to still have a significant income–"

"Please leave me," said Daenerys, dismissing all of them. "Not you, Jorah."

He reported that they were going to stay in Meereen for an unspecified amount of time. Daenerys intended to rule and maintain control of Slaver's Bay.

It was starting to feel like they'd never go back to Westeros. Saera didn't necessarily mind it, but she was having trouble enjoying her stay when her sister was so angry.

Why here? Why settle into a city whose customs they did not know and wouldn't respect? Daenerys had already demanded the fighting pits shut down, and Saera heard within days that the Meereenese weren't exactly happy about it.

The only benefit, it seemed, was that she would learn how to be a ruler.

(To Saera it was nearly a waste of time.)

"Princess," said Ser Barristan, approaching as she sparred with Kavarro and Black Fist. "A word?"

She stepped away, wiping her brow. "Does the Queen wish to see me?"

"No," he said. "I do. Please, walk with me."

She followed him to a platform overlooking the city, hands tucked behind her back as he admitted, "It worries me greatly, the situation between the two of you. I am concerned about our Queen."

"As am I," replied Saera. "As of late she reminds me of our father."

This comparison seemed to stun him at first. "I know what you are thinking," whispered Saera. "She is sweet, not at all like the Mad King. That may be so, but she's certainly as distrusting of me as my father was of everyone around him. Some part of him was right, of course, and no doubt some of my ideas truly are wrong– if anyone would bother explaining why, since I clearly do not understand her viewpoint and it upsets her– but the behavior is... similar."

She toyed with the hilt of her arakh. "I cannot claim to be an innocent woman, Ser Barristan. I am bloodthirsty and I... I may be harsh for not caring as much about slaves as my sister does. But I feel as though nothing is truly being done. Daenerys is abandoning her morals and compassion to establish an uncontested rule and I... I fear what that may bring, especially in Westeros."

"Why do you say that, Princess?"

"My understanding was that she would be firm but compassionate, the sort of Queen the people need and crave. The behavior she exhibits now is straying away from compassion. The mission claims to be the same– liberation and a slavery-free world– but what are the real reasons for doing it? What have the motivations become? Because now it seems like an excuse to maim and torture, it seems like a way of showing force."

Ser Barristan expected Daenerys felt she had to show force because she was made to feel that she was weak compared to Saera. The Princess finished, "I want to believe she is still better than all the other options but how long with that last? How long before the people of the Seven Kingdoms think... another tyrant is sitting the throne?"

He nodded slowly. "I will opt not to respond because doing so would be treason."

Saera stared at one of the smaller pyramids, face blank. "Let her roast me alive for treason if it's what she wants. She has grown tired of my opinions. Jhiqui has made it known that she is jealous of the way the Dothraki praise my strength in battle, the way the Unsullied teach me and learn from me. I never meant for this to happen, Ser Barristan. I only ever wanted to protect her but I feel as though I am doing more harm than good. I would rather hide the rest of my life in Dorne than be here feeling useless and unwanted." She snorted. "Maybe I have always been a selfish person. Maybe I was never meant to come here. I've only ruined things for her by trying to push forward my opinion."

"There are things you do better than your sister and there are things she does better than you," said Ser Barristan. "You both have strong personalities, Princess, it is easy for them to clash. You both need to set aside your pride and speak to one another honestly about what you feel for the other. If there is animosity, it should be brought to light, lest it fester and grow like a disease that will leave you two..." he shook his head. "I do not wish to say it, but I shiver to think of another Targaryen civil war. Another Dance."

"In single combat, she'd lose," murmured Saera. "In a real war, I'd be done for. She has her army and her dragons. Everyone is fiercely loyal to her."

"You said yourself that you heard of her belief that the Dothraki revere you. I would not be so sure that the army is entirely hers. The Dothraki follow strength above all. You may not have birthed dragons, you may not have lived with them as long as she, you may not hold a title that matters to them, but you fight and kill, you earn braids from battles you fully participate in. Perhaps... some hold you to a higher regard than they do her."

"I don't want to be Queen, I have never wanted it. I wish she knew I only wish to advise her. I am her sister. I failed to do my duties before, I will not fail now. If I must be the one that tells her that I believe she is making a mistake, so be it. I will be honest about my opinions and if my understanding is flawed, I invite her to correct me. But I feel she only wishes to quiet me down until I decide not to use my voice. I'd be only a weapon for her to wield when she needs it. That is not what I want. I will not conquer the Seven Kingdoms for another master."

She grabbed onto a nearby pillar, closing her eyes as the breeze ran over her face. "I could go anywhere, even if not Dorne. Anywhere in Essos, I would be free. I could marry whoever I wanted, have children, live a life away from castles and thrones and all this fucking dissent. I would do good wherever I would, if I could. I simply do not feel as if I am doing any good here."

"I am here to protect you as well as her, Princess," said Ser Barristan. "I wish for you both to be happy and safe. No matter what choice you make, I will help you. But I encourage you to first speak with your sister, try to see her side, as I hope she will try to see yours. Together, you could be powerful. At odds with one another... only one of you would prevail and I shiver to think what would become of the other."

"I will try, Ser Barristan. I promise."

Daenerys did not make herself easily available for a meeting. She held an audience all day for three days straight to hear the concerns of the people of Meereen. One such claimant was Hizdahr zo Loraq, the son of one of the crucified masters. Ser Jorah had come to Saera's chambers to tell her how it went– in short, not good.

"His father was beloved in Meereen, according to him," said Ser Jorah as she brushed her hair. "Oversaw the restoration of its landmarks. The Queen said she would be honored to meet them, which was when Hizdahr zo Loraq told her that she'd crucified his father. He insisted that his father spoke out against crucifying children but was overruled, asked her if it was truly justice to answer one crime with another. The Khaleesi said her treatment of the masters was no crime, but to respect the Meereenese funeral rite, allowed Hizdarh zo Loraq to bury his father."

"It's exactly what I warned her about," said Saera, beginning her braid. "I told her, did I not, that some masters might hold more power than others. It turns out I was more correct than I anticipated; some didn't want it at all but had no choice if it meant protecting their families. They are still guilty but less so than other masters."

He quoted, "'They all committed wrongs but not to the same degree. Yet they all met the same fate.'"

Saera smiled shyly. "You remember exactly what I said?"

"I do, Saera. It is hard to forget a moment like that."

She sighed, "Unfortunately, I fear that my sister has become convinced that she can do no wrong. The way you describe her defending her choice to crucify the masters... she sees nothing wrong in it. We have enabled it by applauding her every move. What have we done?"

"We wished to respect our Queen," said Ser Jorah carefully. "We still do."

"I tire of this," she admitted. "I tire of... being here with no purpose. There's nothing I can do to protect my sister. There are thousands of people here to keep her safe. I cannot even protect her from herself. I miss Dorne. I want to go back to Dorne. But I cannot. I promised Ser Barristan I would speak to Daenerys and I've yet to have a chance to. Additionally..." she reached for a piece of parchment.

He raised a brow. "Another letter?"

"Brought to me personally by Jhiqui," said Saera, beckoning him to sit with her. "It's from Oberyn. He says he will fight on behalf of Tyrion Lannister in a trial by combat to have his revenge against the Mountain. I've already written back begging him not to but I doubt the letter will reach him in time. There was something else... he was allowed into a Small Council meeting and overheard Tywin Lannister ask Varys the Spider something about sending his 'little birds' to Meereen. Oberyn thinks something is about to happen to us, an attack. I can't go without knowing what it will be."

"You must tell the Khaleesi."

She hesitated. "She won't see me."

"Or is it you that won't see her?"

"She's been avoiding me. And I... admit I haven't fought hard enough to make it happen."

He offered his hand. "Come, Saera. We will see her now."

"And what if she turns me away? What if–"

He pulled her to her feet anyway. "Then we will make her speak with you. You are her sister, you bring important news, and you... should not be ignored, not when you think these things. You are only trying to help her by raising concerns that she will not acknowledge otherwise. Come, Saera. We will speak to her now."

He turned and walked right out as soon as he'd pushed Saera in front of Daenerys. (If Saera had known what bombs were at the time, she certainly would have thought Ser Jorah had dropped a bomb and walked away.)

"Here," said Saera, showing the letter to Daenerys. "We must prepare."

Daenerys took her time to read over it. "There are no other details?"

"No. And I won't receive any word for quite some time, perhaps not ever."

She acknowledged the fear in her sister's eyes. "The Mountain... this is the man who tore Elia and the children apart?"

"Yes. He raped her, murdered them, and I'm told she had her skull smashed in. He's going to face that man to protect Tyrion Lannister. He may well be guilty and Oberyn will still take an opportunity to defend him because he wants revenge and he is so consumed by it that he will put himself in harm's way."

Daenerys knew this was directed at her, too. "You think I am harming myself?"

"I think you invite harm," admitted Saera. "No one knows how the Meereenese will react to a long-term stay. No one knows what will continue to happen throughout the rest of Slaver's Bay. But I was not brought here to remind you of my worries. That has done us no good. We must talk, Daenerys, we must come to some sort of agreement. We cannot continue like this."

"Like what?" asked Daenerys in a deadly voice.

"You clearly dislike me and I... have grown frustrated by you, too. I did not wish for this, I truly only wanted to protect you and for us to be free. But this conquest, it... it isn't doing us any good as sisters. Perhaps I was foolish to think that we would come together and immediately love one another. That is my mistake. But I did not imagine we would be torn completely apart. I didn't want us to feel as though this never should've happened, though I fear that's exactly the case."

"You are the King's eldest living child," admitted Daenerys. "A Princess who was known and loved in Westeros and now a Princess who is admired and revered here by Dothraki and Unsullied alike. Even Hizdahr zo Loraq speaks highly of you; he knows you were vocal about opposing the crucifixions. It seems there is a divide. Where half of those that surround us support me, and where the other half supports you. I can see it even in our Small Council. Missandei and Daario support me without question. But I can see that Ser Barristan and Ser Jorah are more taken with you. My dragons, well, Drogon does what he pleases but Viserion attempts to seek you out the more he grows."

Saera began to tear up. "I never wanted this to be a competition. I did not want you to feel threatened by me. I never– I have never wanted the throne. I wanted to support you in what you did because you were my sister and I failed to protect you, I failed to even be by your side as you were growing. I thought I could make up for it. Instead I... I've made you wary of my presence the way our father became wary of those around him." She stood straight, "If you wish for me to go, I will. If you'd like to put me on a mission elsewhere... I'll do it. Or if you want me to return to Dorne... I'll do that as well. I don't want you to resent me, Daenerys."

The girl's hands shook, perhaps considering that Saera's counsel was harsh but necessary. Or maybe she didn't want to look like a horrible person by sending her sister away. That would make it all too obvious to everyone that Saera was a threat. That Daenerys saw power in her.

(It would give her power over her. It would tell everyone, Saera included, that Daenerys thought her a matched rival for her title as Queen.

What if she did send Saera back to Dorne? What if the Dornish rose in the event the Mountain killed Prince Oberyn? Would she be at the head of their army, gathering forces and taking the Seven Kingdoms with them? Would she leave Daenerys in Meereen and end up on the Iron Throne herself?

She says she doesn't want it, believe her.

What if she could free the North with the Dornish and place a Stark back on the seat of Winterfell? What if she could unite the Iron Islands to her cause? What if she managed to restore House Tully to power and killed the Frey girl that married Lord Edmure so she might wed him instead, as her father once considered she might? Or what if she married someone more respected like Brynden 'The Blackfish' and secured the Tully forces anyway?

What if she brokered an alliance with the Vale? Surely if she promised her firstborn daughter to wed Lord Robin Arryn, Lysa Tully might be persuaded to spare a few knights. What if Saera crushed Stannis Baratheon's army? What if she joined forces with him just to see the throne taken from the Lannisters? What if she could convince him to abandon his frail wife to marry her so her children might sit the throne?

She wouldn't, she wouldn't, she wouldn't.

Saera of House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, the Slayer, the Sand Dragon, the Red Serpent, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lady Regent of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm.

She hated it.)

"No," said Daenerys softly. "You will not return to Dorne nor will you leave my side. Something is coming for us, and you will remain here where you can do as you wish. Protect me. Protect our dynasty. When this threat has passed... we will speak more of our opposing ideas. We will come to a compromise."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124K 4.1K 48
"When everything comes down, we will be the last ones standing." "You know what they say." "Valar morghulis." ...
17.2K 590 24
She saw firsthand how loyalty could falter, how war destroyed everything in its path, how men died serving fools. So much that could have been preven...
41.7K 1.5K 18
𝐉𝐀𝐂𝐀𝐄𝐑𝐘𝐒 𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐀𝐑𝐘𝐄𝐍 descendant of Rhaenyra Targaryen, was adopted by Lord Ned Stark and brought to Winterfell. As the years went by...
61.6K 2.9K 62
Vaera Targaryen wasnt going to be pushed around. She was taking control of her life and the men in it. 🐉 "We are a half written story without any...