The Children's Home

By charitythewriter

Fourteen-year-old Arwen has had a pretty rough life. After her parents' tragic deaths when she was only four... More

Chapter 1: A Case of Mistaken Identity
Chapter 2: Lady Folman's Manor
Chapter 3: Winnie
Chapter 4: My First Night
Chapter 5: Uniforms Are the Worst
Chapter 6: The Training Battle
Chapter 7: Adjusting
Chapter 8: A Plot is Hatched
Chapter 9: Betrayed!
NOT A CHAPTER

Prologue

35 6 0
By charitythewriter

TRIGGER WARNINGS: NON-GRAPHIC DEPICTION OF ABUSE

CONTENT WARNINGS (CWs): Description of an injury

A/N: This is my first novella! I wrote this back in late 2020/early 2021, but it has gone through major edits. I've decided to start posting it here. I'll be updating every other week. The Prologue does involve a non-graphic description of physical abuse, so you are free to skip it if you feel uncomfortable. Enjoy the story!

I slung my backpack over my shoulder, my heart thudding.

"Be careful, Arwen!" I slapped a hand over my mouth before I could say anything else out loud.

You need to be quiet. You'll wake Alvah, and she'll make your life even more miserable than it already is!

I gasped. It was the first time I'd actually called myself by my real name in all eight years of my life. Normally, I went by my pet name, Wenny. But, since I was being mature—or maybe stupid—enough to run away, I couldn't use my nickname any longer. It was too childish. I padded to the front door, a pair of worn sneakers in hand. I'd learned the hard way that my foster mom, Alvah Drake, was a light sleeper when I tried to head out the door to stargaze for my fifth birthday. One heavier-than-usual stomp with my shoes, and Alvah had rushed out wielding a belt, which she furiously applied to my back. And that wasn't even the first time she'd hurt me.

That woman proved to be an absolute monster. I still have scars from the years of abuse under her "care."

I needed to find the truth about my folks' deaths. And just sittin' around and gettin' whipped for every misbehavior wasn't gonna get me any closer to my goal.

I opened the door just a crack, hoping it wouldn't creak. It didn't. Trembling, I squirmed out the door and into the yard, pausing to put on my shoes. Then I was out into the pitch-black night, free from my foster mother's cruelty and tyranny.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88.7K 2.5K 26
"๐œ๐š๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ž ๐ข'๐ฏ๐ž ๐ก๐š๐ ๐ž๐ฏ๐ž๐ซ๐ฒ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐ , ๐›๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ง๐จ ๐จ๐ง๐ž'๐ฌ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐ž๐ง๐ข๐ง๐ , ๐š๐ง๐...
11.5K 159 10
After The Son of Sobek and the Staff of Serapis. Percy , Annabeth , Carter and Sadie found out that the two worlds, The Greek gods and The Egyptain g...
168K 10.5K 47
Elizabeth has been ruling her kingdom for 3 years now. She's gone through countless advisors in those 3 years. When she's finally ready to give up on...
6K 73 9
Everyone had just made it safe out of rex's lair, Rayla got her Runaaan and parents back and Callum had just told her he was glad she was back. The g...