Do You Believe in Ghosts? (Tr...

By T-Night

The monsters are real. They roam this land. They terrorize the citizens. No one knows where they came from or... More

Missing Heroes
The Immune
Sonic the Hedgehog
Cold
Discussions
Icy
Starving
Connecting
Meditating
Hiss
Spirit
Partner
Demons
Shadow the Hedgehog
Scorched
Pressure
Problems
Try
Healing
Heartbeat
Pieces
Blue
Assassins
Crossing
Silver the Hedgehog
Bleeding
Crowned
Aware
Selfless
Light
Wounded
The Brotherhood
Broken
Nightmares

Resilience

1.8K 122 129
By T-Night

They stood apart, the distance between them seemingly too vast to cross. A single tear trailed down her cheek, and Sonic's eyes followed it as it fell into the blackness beneath her. He dropped his head, his hands trembling.

"Sonic," she whispered, to break the silence. He lifted his gaze, offering her another broken smile.

"It's okay," he told her in a trembling voice. "It's okay, I'm okay. You don't need to worry about me."

She scoffed, swiping at the tears on her face. "Yeah, right," she said thickly. "If anyone should be sorry, it's me. It's been too long, and I spent too long with Shadow, I didn't listen when they warned me about the Chaos Emerald, and now I'm losing our connection."

"It's not your fault; you've got a lot on your plate." There was a bitter note in his voice, and her ears lowered.

"That's not an excuse," she said. "I need to be there for you, and I'm not..."

"You don't have to explain yourself to me," he said, shaking his head. "Take your time. I'll hold on. I can do this."

"Sonic, it's okay to not be okay," (Y/n) said slowly.

"I know that," he said with a half-hearted shrug. "But I'm fine, I told you-"

"Please don't lie to me, please," she pleaded. He smiled at her, his lips quirking upwards with that same bitter tone.

"I don't want to," he whispered. "But I've never really been good at telling my truth."

~

She opened her eyes, silent tears falling down her face. She turned her head to the side, but the room was dark and she was alone.

"Tikal?" she rasped pathetically. No response. The (a/t) knew she probably wouldn't be able to see her guardian in the primary realm anymore, but the reality of it made her feel even more alone.

There was a soft shuffle at the end of the couch where she was resting and she craned her neck upwards, her heart jumping into her throat at the sight of the assassin standing by the door. Its eyes were teal, and it took a tentative step towards her at her attention.

"Silver?" she asked hesitantly. The assassin pulled its hands to its chest in a nervous manner.

"I'm sorry," it whispered in the hedgehog's small voice. (Y/n) let her head fall back on the pillows, her hand drifting up to the healing marks on her chest. She reached for him with her free hand.

"Have you been here long?" she asked as she waited, her eyes drifting closed.

"Only when the others went out to check on Tails and get supplies," Silver admitted. "They're...probably really upset with me..."

"No one's upset with you," she assured him. "I'm actually really happy you're here." She opened her eyes, beckoning to him. He shuffled forward and she turned her palm upwards. He shook his head.

"I did this to you," he said. He held up a hand as she opened her mouth. "The assassins from my power gave you those marks. I'm sorry, (Y/n)."

"I'm not afraid of you," she said. "If the ghost were even remotely in control right now, it would have finished the job, but here we are." She lifted her hand slightly. "It's...it's okay, Silver." A lump formed in her throat as Sonic's bitter smile flashed through her thoughts.

She was pulled back to reality as a cold feeling spread through the center of her palm. The assassin's fingers brushed ever so lightly across her hand and she smiled gently.

"You're leaving soon, aren't you?"

(Y/n) blinked at Silver's words. The assassin lifted its gaze to hers. He lowered it at her silence. "You should. Give things time to settle down here."

"Silver, I-"

"I'll be okay." The assassin wrapped its fingers around hers and squeezed gently. "I promise I'm telling you the truth. I know the others need you right now, and I've got a pretty good handle on things here. I'm sure Espio can talk me out of a spiral." He settled on his knees beside her. "If I need you, I will find you."

"How?" she asked weakly. The assassin's eyes lifted as if he was smiling.

"I'll know." He squeezed her hand again before releasing it, pushing to standing and dipping his head. "You need rest. I'll go see where the others are at."

"No, please," (Y/n) said, reaching for him. "Stay." Silver hesitated, then settled on the floor beside her.

"Okay," he murmured. "Just for a little while."

~

The next week was long. (Y/n) was finally able to get up and walk around and feed herself, and her voice regained its strength. Tikal was back to only appearing in reflective surfaces, and while the (a/t) had been able to shift into the secondary realm, the ease with which it had come before was gone.

She tried to reach out to Sonic, but whatever will or power that had allowed her to speak to him in her dreams had faded as her body began to heal. It was past time she returned to the Freezing Zone.

"Hey, look who it is!" Knuckles announced as he pushed through the door to the living room. He stepped aside and (Y/n) grinned as Tails shuffled into the room, lifting his hand in greeting. He'd certainly looked better; he had dark circles under his eyes, his fur was matted, and the bandages across his chest covered the worst of the gashes, though the tops of each ugly, gnarled scar poked out from beneath the bandages.

"Hey, Tails," (Y/n) said, stepping forward and opening her arms. The fox hesitated, then wrapped his good arm around her waist, cradling the stump of his hand against his chest. She held him close, pressing her nose into the fur on the top of his head. "Are you doing okay?"

"Yeah," he mumbled, his voice hoarse as if he hadn't used it in several days.

"You both are recovering well," Blaze remarked, brushing past Knuckles with the Chaotix in tow. (Y/n) lifted her head and the cat tilted her head expectantly. "Have you made a decision about your next move?"

"I have," the (a/t) replied, looking down at Tails. He looked up at her, his blue eyes full and weary. It hurt her heart to see him so broken. "I'm going back to the Freezing Zone."

"I thought you might say that," Blaze said, nodding. "I would like to offer you my company on the remainder of your travels. With Shadow's improving condition, I'm sure Rouge and Omega are more than capable of handling him without my assistance."

"Only if I maintain my connection to him," (Y/n) said. "But I appreciate the offer, and I'd love to have you along." The princess smiled.

"And it's definitely time for me and Tails to head back. I'm worried about Amy," Knuckles added. Tails stiffened in (Y/n)'s arms, curling into her chest.

"Tails?" she asked, pushing him back gently to meet his eye. He swiped at the tears gathering in his eyes, making a soft whining sound in the back of his throat. Knuckles stepped forward, pressing a hand to the fox's shoulder.

"Hey, you okay?" the echidna asked quietly.

"I don't want to go back," Tails whispered, his tails bushing out. "I don't like what's going on with Sonic. I know he got better when (Y/n) was with him, but he's gotten worse lately and I don't like seeing that thing living in his shell. And he-he-" He reached for his chest, his breaths coming in short gasps.

"Hey, hey," Knuckles said, trying to calm the fox, though Espio quickly nudged the echidna aside, setting one hand on Tails' shoulder and pressing the other to his own chest.

"Listen," the chameleon told the fox gently, taking a deep breath in through his nose. "Breathe." He blew out through his mouth, offering Tails a small, encouraging smile. "In." The fox sucked in a breath with Espio, blowing it out at the same time as the ninja.

After several deep breaths, Tails deflated, looking apologetically up at (Y/n). "I'm sorry," he whispered, messing with the edge of the bandages.

"You don't have anything to be sorry for," she assured him. "I know what it's like. You're scared, and that's okay."

"I just want it to be over," the fox said, rubbing the stump of his hand. "I want-" He sniffed, blinking several times. "I want my brother back."

"And we'll get him back," she said, resting her hand gently on his shoulder. "But I am going to need your help. You've been his support when I haven't been there, and I know he's always better when you're around."

Tails nodded, hugging himself. "I know," he sighed. "I know." He shook himself off. "Okay. Okay, I've got this. I won't let you down."

"I know you won't," she said with a small smile. She straightened and looked at Knuckles and Blaze. "We should head out as soon as possible. I'm going to say goodbye to (F/n), though; can you meet me at the Freezing Zone border?"

"Of course," Blaze replied, Knuckles nodding in agreement. (Y/n) turned to the Chaotix.

"Thank you," she said. "For helping me. For saving my life."

"It was the least we could do," Vector replied with a sad smile. He glanced down at Espio as the chameleon pressed his hand his chest.

"I wouldn't be here without you," he told her. He unsheathed the dagger in his left gauntlet, resting it across his palms as he offered it to her. "Take it with you. It would at least ease my mind, even if you never draw it."

(Y/n) hesitantly reached out and grabbed the dagger, holding it awkwardly away from her. "I've...never touched a blade in my life," she said with a laugh. "Well, besides a kitchen knife, I guess, but it's definitely not the same thing."

Blaze gently took the dagger, walking into the kitchen and coming back with a cloth which she wrapped around the blade before handing it back to the (a/t). Espio made a foreign symbol with his hands and stepped back as Charmy raced forward, wrapping his arms tightly around her neck.

"Please don't die," he mumbled into her fur. "Please, please, please, please, please-"

"Okay," she laughed, pulling him away from her and nuzzling his nose with hers. He giggled, pushing her face away. "I'm not going to die. Maybe I'll bring you back some ice cream, if it survives the trip through the Burning Zone." The bee laughed again, swiping at his eyes as he floated back to Vector.

"Well, I'm not super sentimental," the  crocodile said with a toothy grin, "but I hope you come back for a visit, soon. At least, for the end of the world, if nothing else." She smiled, and he paused before pulling her into a side hug. "Be careful out there, kid. You're going to make it through this."

Her smile faded at his words, though she brushed it off and straightened, stepping away. "Well, that's enough sappy goodbyes," she said. "The sooner I get back to the Freezing Zone, the faster I can fix this mess."

"We'll meet you at the border," Blaze promised and the (a/t) nodded, turning to wave one last time to the Chaotix.

It was time for her to go home.

~

"Already?"

"I know," (Y/n) said as (F/n) paced around her living room. "But I'll be back. I actually haven't really connected to Silver yet, but I have to maintain my connection to Sonic and that requires me being with him."

"Yeah, I know," (F/n) sighed. "I just...what if I never see you again? I don't know if you've looked in a mirror recently, but you've seen better days, girl." She stepped forward, pressing her hands to (Y/n)'s cheeks and brushing her thumbs under the (a/t)'s eyes. "You know, maybe a little concealer will cover up those circles, and some contacts to brighten up your eyes, but I don't think anything but a turtleneck can fix..." She tapped the scars poking out from under the collar of (Y/n)'s shirt.

"It won't matter," the immune told her friend. "The only reason I'm alive right now is because my work isn't finished."

"That's not fair," (F/n) whispered. "No, that's not fair at all. Who are these otherworldly beings to decide what you are meant to do? Who are they to take control of your life, force you to be this hero, to sacrifice years of your life because of their mistakes? It makes me so angry."

(Y/n) laughed. "I appreciate your anger on my behalf, but I kind of like knowing that I can at least do something. That my mundane life has a greater purpose."

(F/n) sighed again, stepping forward to wrap the immune in a tight embrace. "Alright, fine. Accept your imminent death. But you have to promise me two things."

"Okay."

"One: You'll at least...you'll at least visit me one more time before..." (F/n) buried her face in (Y/n)'s neck, swallowing her tears. "That you'll visit me one more time before you die! I want you to know you are loved before you go."

"Okay," the (a/t) whispered. "I will. I promise. You will see me again."

(F/n) sniffed, nodding. "Good."

"And what's the second thing?"

"Kiss that blue boy when you get back to the Freezing Zone."

(Y/n) shoved her friend back, staring at her incredulously. "(F/n), what-"

"The way you talked about him when you were explaining everything to me, the way your face softened, you clearly like him a lot." She lifted her hand as the (a/t) opened her mouth. "I know you like Shadow, too, you made out with him after all."

(Y/n)'s face flushed. "We kissed, not made out." (F/n) smirked.

"Sure. Just...consider it, at the very least." (Y/n) was sure her face couldn't be any more red as she ducked her head.

"I mean...I don't know, (F/n). It's...not the most important thing right now. And you know, if I am going to die, what would be the point? I'd just be causing him more pain."

Her friend touched her shoulder gently, nudging the immune's chin so she could meet her gaze. "But (Y/n)," she said softly, "isn't better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all?"

~

(Y/n) tried not to think about what (F/n) had said as she made her way to the Freezing Zone border. She stood by what she'd said about her priorities.

She was intercepted by Silver's assassin, and she smiled at the shy mannerisms manifested through the appiration.

"I just...wanted to wish you well," he said. "And tell you that I'm going to miss you. A lot. And...um...also let you know that I'm going to be helping with the crossings. If you were wondering. Now that I can control the assassins, I can keep the ghosts away, and protect the safe zone, and-"

"Silver," she laughed, raising her hands to silence him. "I know. I know you'll do amazing. You have such a good heart; I hope you know that, and I hope you hold onto that."

He sighed, fiddling with the assassin's misshapen fingers. "I...know," he mumbled. "I'm just worried I won't be able to do it without you."

"It'll be okay," she said, stepping closer and pointing to the center of the assassin's chest. "I'll be right here the whole time, okay?"

Silver hesitated, then nodded. "And like I said," he added quickly, "if you ever need me, reach out, and I'll find you." She nodded, offering him another smile.

"Thank you." The assassin's eyes lifted and he dipped his head.

"Goodbye, (Y/n)."

~

"Took you long enough," Knuckles said as she approached them at the border. "We'll make it to the camp at nightfall."

"Right," she said with a nod, shrugging her coat on. "Sorry; I didn't think about that."

"It's not a problem," Blaze assured her, sparking flames at her fingertips. "I can keep us warm."

"Let's go," Tails said, his gaze fixed on his shoes. "We're wasting daylight."

They set off at that, the temperature dropping the second they stepped across the border. Already, (Y/n) could feel a difference from the first time she'd come from the Freezing Zone. She shivered, the cold biting through her coat and fur. Blaze lifted her hands, a warm orange glow surrounding them as they walked.

"You okay?" Knuckles asked as (Y/n) wrapped her arms around herself.

"Yeah," she replied. "Just a little colder than I remember."

"Perhaps your body needs time to adjust," Blaze suggested, though they all knew the truth. With her immunity fading, she was much more prone to the temperature than she had been before.

"I'll just layer up a little more," the (a/t) said, tucking her chin into the collar of her coat. "And the movement should get my blood flowing."

They fell into silence after that, mostly focused on preserving their warmth and energy. They only ran into a few monsters, which Blaze quickly scared off with a brief light show.

They reached the camp by nightfall as Knuckles had predicted, and it was eerily quiet, not unlike the first time (Y/n) had met the Freezing Zone team.

"Where's Amy?" Tails whispered, his voice loud in the pressing silence.

"Probably underground," Knuckles responded, guiding the fox over to the bunker. (Y/n) glanced over at Sonic's cell, not failing to notice the thick ice around the door.

"Are you going to visit him?" Blaze asked quietly. The (a/t) hesitated, then shook her head.

"I think I should get a read on the situation with Amy beforehand," she said. "It doesn't seem good."

Knuckles wrenched the bunker door open, allowing the others to file through before slipping in behind and hauling the door shut. "Amy?" he called. There was a soft response from down the hall, and Tails sprinted ahead of the group, bursting into Amy's room, the others following suit.

"Hey, guys," Amy said as they spread out across her room. (Y/n)'s eyes widened. The pink hedgehog was wrapping her left leg, ice blue veins poking out from beneath the bandages. Her right arm was also wrapped, and one of her ears had been nicked. She returned her focus to her leg. "Obviously I wasn't expecting company."

"Holy Chaos, Amy," Knuckles said, stepping forward to look her over. "What happened to you?"

"Sonic's not feeling spectacular," she replied flatly. She glanced up at the immune. Her mouth quirked upwards bitterly. "Look at that. Our savior has returned." (Y/n)'s ears flattened.

"I'm sorry it took me so long," she whispered. "I thought I could maintain my connections for longer periods of time, but I was wrong."

"Cut her some slack," Knuckles told the hedgehog. "She was run through. She's lucky to be alive." Amy looked (Y/n) over, tilting her head.

"So there is steel in you after all," she murmured. "Sorry for judging you so harshly. Clearly, things haven't been great here."

Tails shuffled forward, sitting on the bed beside her and brushing his fingers across the bandage on her arm. "Are you going to be okay?" he asked softly. "You're not going to...lose it like I did?"

"No," Amy assured him gently, pressing a kiss to his forehead. "I'm glad you're okay. How are you feeling?" The fox rubbed at the bandages on his chest, squeezing his eyes shut as he leaned his head on her shoulder.

"Ugly."

(Y/n) suddenly felt as though she was intruding, and she backed up, sharing a glance with Blaze. The cat nodded subtly and the pair slipped out of the room, heading back for the stairs.

"It's salvageable," the princess told the immune. "And what Amy said-"

"She had every right," (Y/n) interrupted. "I wasted...I wasted my time, and I didn't nurture my connections like I should have. She had to take the fall for it."

"You have not been without your share of hardship," Blaze countered as they pushed through the bunker door to the surface. The (a/t) trudged over to Sonic's cell, frowning at the frozen lock. Blaze gently nudged her aside, summoning a flame and holding it over the ice. "You have endured more in one year than many have in their entire lives. Amy was right when she said you have steel in you. You always have. It is only now that you have learned to wield it." She stepped back when she finished melting the ice around the lock. "Would you like me to go in with you?"

"No. I'll be okay." (Y/n) took a deep breath and unlocked the door.

It ground open, and her spine stiffened at the spikes of ice protruding from the floors, walls, and ceiling of the cell. "Sonic?" she called tentatively. "It's me, (Y/n)."

It was just like her nightmare. She stepped into the cell, listening to the door close behind her. She peered back at the cot against the wall, then to her right as she heard the subtle clank of chains.

"(Y/n)," Sonic's voice purred, surrounded by eerie whispers. It wasn't him. Her ears flattened against her head, her fur bristling as his green eyes lit up in the dimness of his cell. "It's been far too long, darling."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.8K 389 19
Somewhere in a kingdom, called the Rose Kingdom, their lives a young pink princess, known as princess Amy Rose. Having a lot of friends Amy has a gre...
1.2K 28 15
Sypnosis: Long ago, in a far away land of Mobius, there were a group of kingdoms that are each ruled by a king and queen, and are united by an allian...
20.9K 558 28
A pink hedgehog named Amy Rose who moves back to Mobius after a year. When she arrives back in Mobius, she goes in her old house and settles in she v...
6.6K 306 17
(SONICX MALE Characters x FEMReader) 15-year-old (Y/N) is a talented girl. 13 years old when they graduated from school, and they have talent in many...