WHATEVER IT TAKES β€’ THE MAZE...

By -astrolovingx

we never had to say how we felt, we both had a mutual understanding we loved each other and that was enough... More

oo, (whatever it takes)
oo , (playlist)
ooo , (it begins.)
oo1 , (caged in.)
oo2 , (not alone anymore.)
oo3 , (trust.)
oo5 , (blondie.)
oo6 , (nerves.)
oo7 , (flame.)
oo8 , (oblivious idiots.)
(the maze runner)
oo9 , (questions.)
o1o , (tension.)
o11 , (stone walls.)
o12 , (redamancy.)
o13 , (children.)
o14 , (temper.)
o15 , (heartache.)
o16 , (comfort.)
o17 , (favourites.)
o18 , (losses.)
o19 , (hello.)
o2o , (enter the maze.)
o21 , (rescued?)
book 2.

oo4 , (found family.)

1.8K 96 36
By -astrolovingx

◤━━━━━━━━━━━◥

𝘛𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘮𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘮𝘱𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘺𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘦𝘭𝘴𝘦, 𝘪𝘵 𝘸𝘢𝘴 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦 𝘥𝘪𝘥𝘯'𝘵 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘪𝘴𝘦.

◣━━━━━━━━━━━◢

Minho and Arthur stood face to face, the former hosting a growing smile as Arthur spoke. While he was listening he was more planning how to thank the boy.

"Let me be clear, stick with me when we are in there okay?" He let out a sigh before continuing with a half-hearted smile. "You have to be careful-" He was cut off by a swift hug that nearly took him off his feet if a pair of hands had not caught him. 

Arthur was stunned into silence, his train of thought completely fading as Minho wrapped him into a hug, trapping his arms and making him unable to move freely. He had begun muttering a mantra of thank you's that caused Arthur to bite his lip to stop him from crying. 

Arthur looked up while he was trapped in the embrace, but the feeling was unlike the one he had when he first discovered he was trapped in the maze. This feeling was warmer, felt more like home, whatever that was. His eyes were watery and his breath silently shakey as he regulated his breathing before looking down at Minho and watching as he pulled away still chanting the two words. He fell silent however when he saw Arthur's face.

"Shit sorry Arthur, are you okay?" Minho watched the normally composed boy's wall slowly crack. He debated going to go get Alby to come help him as he knew Arthur a bit better than him and might have been more use.

Minho wasn't sure what he had done and he was panicking a bit at the thought of having made the boy cry.

"No, it's okay." Arthur's voice had cracked but it was as convincing as he was going to get. Minho looked at Arthur with concern evident in his face as he slowly worked out what was the cause. "Can we do that again?" 

'Ah.' The other male had thought as he slowly nodded and brought Arthur into a hug. Despite this being his own first time hugging, he still had an idea of how to hold other people but Arthur, Arthur was hesitant and shaky, although that might have just been from the silent crying. 

Minho was worried he was going to hurt the crying boy as he held him gently. He understood what Alby had said when they had spoken now.

"Alby?" Minho looked at the male with curious eyes as he called out to him, desperate to know what Arthur had said to him about going into the maze.

"Greenbean, whats up?" Alby looked at the boy his eyebrow raised at the anticipation on his face.

"One, I have a name. Two. Has Arthur spoken to you yet? He said he would weeks ago." He rocked on his feet, obviously full of energy, reminding Alby that he was young. The older male frowned and looked towards the maze that Arthur had run into earlier. 

"No, no he hasn't." He let a frustrated huff escape his nose as he heard about Arthur not consulting him again. He needs Arthur to talk to people, if not him then anyone else that comes up. He was worried Arthur would end up dead with the way he was. "Why don't you tell me what he should have spoken to me about?"

"He said he would talk to you about taking me on a run in the maze." Minho folds his arms as he stares at Alby, his gaze determined to get answers out of him.

"Okay, Minho you need to promise not to tell Arthur what I'm telling you here okay?" He looked at the boy and when he slowly nodded he carried on. "Arthur struggles to accept help. From the two months I have known him he doesn't like putting anyone's life in danger, he would prefer to struggle than to accept anything that could benefit someone else. I understand why he didn't come to me, he knows I would have agreed with you, I know he needs help and you would be good at running the maze but.." He trailed off his voice defeated.

"He's a good guy, he cares for you. He is just getting tired, he needs support and people to tell him when to stop. That's us. He was up here alone for an entire month, despite being hopeless with everything but running he didn't have anyone else to look after, which meant no one to stop him when he pushed his limits. He would run with a broken leg if he could. I'll talk to him okay? Just... keep an eye out for him if you can."

Minho stood there with a frown on his face as Arthur composed himself and wiped his eyes. 

"Sorry man, I just-" He sniffed before clearing his throat. "-Don't worry, about that maze, How about you come to map out an area with me tomorrow huh?" He smiled at the boy as he wiped his cheeks, tear streaks visible against the dirt and grime from the day's work on his face.

"It's okay man, don't apologise for having emotions." He patted Arthur's shoulder with a smile before nodding at his proposition. "I would love to, thank you for letting me Archie."

He furrowed his brows before his mouth opened in a silent 'oh.' "Is that a nickname or have you already forgotten my name?" He let out a small chuckle, recovering from the mental breakdown more swiftly than Minho would have expected. He brushed it off for now, sure that he could look into more later.

Minho chuckled, his amusement covering the brief flash of concern he felt as he looked towards the closed maze, looking as the golden hues of a beautiful sunset settled over the glade. The two stood in silence, letting the sounds of the walls changing every so often be the only noise that disrupted the silence. 

Alby's footsteps were almost silent against the fragile grass as he approached the two silently, finally deeming it safe to stand beside them quietly.

The three of them stood in complete silence, knowing they had found comfort in each other and in that comfort they found room for a family.

Time passed and they moved over to their hammocks, softly spoken whispers and poor attempts at quiet laughing. Minho had ended up on the floor after rolling around a bit too far and twisting it all the way around. Arthur had snorted his way into a coughing fit that was mixed with laughter that had Alby hushing them.

"Eyes open sunshine." Arthur was leaning over Minho's face, his eyes gleaming with amusement at the groaning boy lying down. "Don't make me tip you." Even with the threat, Minho remained still, only moving to cover his eyes.

"Fine. Deserved." He grabbed the side of the hammock furthest from him and lifted it. Immediately feeling the change in his axis Minho grabbed at the air, hoping to catch Arthur but failed and tumbled to the floor at Arthur's feet.

"You Slinthead!" Arthur let out a groan as he looked at the boy with accusing eyes before switching to the amused figure lying in his hammock.

"What is up with you guys and these words?" He pulled on a new top, having always changed the shirt he wore to bed into the one he wore into the maze. He would hate for it to get sweaty.

"Just alternatives." Alby gave a brief response obviously not willing to reveal why yet for whatever reason.

"I'm sure it's a fun time to make those but we have to get moving Minho, the maze is going to open." Arthur tapped his foot, impatience clear in his voice as he watched the boy struggle upwards.

"Bossy. I'm nearly ready." He pulled on the outer vest Arthur had thrown at him last night with a yawn before stretching and shuffling his way towards Arthur with a scrunched-up face from the sheer force of the early morning sun.

The two stumbled to the exit, Alby watching as he got out of the Hammock with a faint frown that was ever-present on his face when Arthur faded from his view as he left the Glade and turned into whichever entrance was open.

Without warning, Arthur takes off into a run causing Minho to sprint after him in order not to get lost in the never-ending twists and turns of the maze.

"One thing you have to understand is the time." Arthur's voice is how Minho keeps track of him with the sharp turns he takes. 

Soon enough however Minho had caught up and they were running side by side. Arthur tapped the other boy's arm every time there was a turn they hadn't encountered before, knowing they needed to explore the maze more. 

"Remember. The maze is dangerous. It will take no mercy, if you get lost you're better hoping you get back in time. Or else you're food." He stopped at a T section before looking at Minho with a raised eyebrow. "Left or right Sunshine?"

The boy glared at Arthur out the side of his eye before speaking. "Left Archie."

Arthur rolled his eyes and pushed him left, to which he smoothly started running picking up on it swiftly as the space between Arthur's minimal statements was filled with deep breaths as they focused on running.

The sounds of their loud footsteps as they hit the floor echoed in the narrow hallways as well as the squelch of the goo under their feet. Arthur had an idea of what it was from but Minho, Minho was too scared to even ask right then.

Reaching a dead end. Arthur leaned against a wall and looked at the slit in the wall. Frowning and pushing himself upwards with a groan he trudged towards it with a brisk pace. 

Minho's eyes followed him as he traced the intent. "What?" His tone was curious as he watched Arthur briefly grin.

"Look, see this? This means that there are entirely new sections. We gotta find where they are." He let out a single loud laugh before turning his head to look at Minho over his shoulder with raised eyebrows and a look of excitement.

"You're good luck Sunshine!" He backed away from the wall and rested his hands on his hips. Minho pushed himself up and stood beside him.

Silently Arthur passed him a water bottle which he took with a nod of his head. 

"Sorry." 

Minho paused and lowered the water bottle. Wiping his lips he spoke up confused about what Arthur was trying to say. "Sorry, what for?"

"Not talking to Alby about it weeks ago. I'm sorry because you deserved better than that. I need to accept help more." He looked at the sky to check the time before he lowered it and turned his head towards Minho. 

"It's alright Arthur." They both nodded to each other before Arthur held out his hand. Screwing the top back on, Minho chucked it back and placed it into his bag.

"We have to get going come on." He spun on his heel and took off running yelling for Minho to hurry up as the ivy brushed against the wind, casting shadows in the steadily darkening sky. 

The walls towered over them as they ran, and the steady flow of one-sided conversation halted leaving them in an exhausting silence that only seemed to throttle them as the air struggled to seep into their lungs to match the pace at which they sprinted in order to beat the clock of which marked their limited time to escape the Maze back to the Glade.

Alby stood in front of the Maze, watching it with unblinking eyes as he prayed they come back. He had hoped Arthur would be more careful if he had Minho with him but as the cold air drifted around him in the darker sky he doubted it. 

At last, he could hear the footsteps he was used to turn the corner and there was a dirty and sweaty Arthur with an equally sweaty and dirty Minho behind him. Arthur's hair was plastered to their face and Alby could hear the disgust he felt with the sweat against his skin.

As soon as they crossed the line that separated the Maze and the Glade they stopped and laid on the floor, letting the cold breeze wash over their aching bodies. 

"I'm ripped in half. I have been severed Alby." He whined as he looked at the man who looked down at him disapprovingly. 

Minho groaned as well as he continued to lie there, more relaxed than Arthur was yet still boiling. "Why is it so hot.." he drawled on the last part of his sentence, the boy clearly tired after running as far as he did.

Arthur rolled his eyes before laying in a starfish position on his back, trying to gain better air circulation. "Because we just ran for hours on end Sunshine." He closed his eyes and just faced upwards taking in the cold air.

"Shut up Archie, go fall over." Minho waved his hand at the boy who let out a loud cackle before holding his hand up and letting Alby grasp it firmly and hoist him up.

"Minho, Arthur." He gave them both a look before grabbing Minho's forearm and pulling him to his feet as well.

"I get it, shut up. Hey Arthur, take his advice." Minho rolled his eyes at Alby in a joking manner before being jolted to the side.

 The oldest of the three could only watch as Arthur pushed Minho who immediately pushed back. The two of them had grins on their face that promised nothing good for either one of them. Alby, who could have stopped them only watched with a good foot of distance between the two boys who were currently tumbling around before Arthur raised his hands in a surrender motion before bending over to catch his breath and raising his hand in order to flip off Minho.

Alby, now classifying the area as safe walked forward toward the two and grabbed the back of their shirts pulling them upright. Both let out noises of protest and were immediately silenced by the look Alby gave them. 

The unquiet air was filled by Minho's frequent snores that both Alby and Arthur had learnt to tune out. 

"He hugged me yesterday Alby." The Hammock didn't make a noise as Alby turned his head to look at Arthur as he looked upwards. The silence continued as the light of the moon shone down on them in gentle waves, casting shadows across their faces. 

Alby didn't speak, he knew it was Arthur's job to find out what to do from here, how to feel. He wouldn't try to take this from him.

Instead of continuing, he sat up, his eyebrows furrowed as he ran a hand through his hair. The hammock swung dangerously as he shifted his weight. Alby slowly sat up as well, watching Arthur carefully as if he was going to wake up Minho.

"Let's walk Arthur, walk and talk." He got out of his hammock, not paying attention to how it rocked and brushed against his legs and instead watched as Arthur stood up and led them into the woods. The only noise between them being faint breathing lost in the wind.

The two came to a pause a fair bit away and Arthur crossed his arms as he faced Alby. "It was unfamiliar Alby, like I had never been hugged before. Why would I have never been hugged? Didn't I have parents?" He shifted trying to make the uncomfortable empty feeling that sat in his chest disperse. 

Arthur blinked and sniffed before looking at Alby who was looking at him already. "Can I hug you? I feel like we both need it." 

Alby nodded and didn't move allowing Arthur to take the step forward and wrap his arms around his waist and hug him tightly. Immediately the older held him firmly, they both needed this. They both needed this comfort and so they stood there, quietly taking in each other's presence. 

Two children born in a bloody and poisonous world that leeches and takes all it can from those that survive the brutality the world behind those walls held. Three children who look out for each other all they can with the constant pressure of the monthly Greenie's life that rises from the Box. Soon to be Four children adapt and prepare for the horrors that slash at them and force them to put up their defences the best they can before they are taken as one of the many future victims of the trials.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 30.1K 35
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. - Lao Tzu Anne enters the Glade terrified for her l...
10.6K 451 59
when thomas meets a boy that makes him forget the world is crumbling around them ...
8.3K 515 16
come away with me, and I'll never stop loving you.
Yours By Nya

Fanfiction

1.2K 53 1
A Teen Wolf x The Maze Runner Newtmas Story πŸ’ž