A Side Character's Mission ↠...

By inuoyekoichi

On Han Seungeun's birthday, he received his previous' life memories and a mission; create a system for the pr... More

Before You Read
Chapter 1: A Side Character's Mission
Chapter 2: First Dungeon
Chapter 3: Welcome, Player
Chapter 4: The Fight
Chapter 5: Stop Sulking
Chapter 6: C-rank Dungeon
Chapter 7: The Awakened Boss
Chapter 8: Emergency Quest
Chapter 9: Hospital Visit
Chapter 10: Worry
Chapter 11: Pawns
Chapter 12: Progress
Chapter 13: An Unexpected Incident
Chapter 14: Safety First
Chapter 15: Job Quest
Chapter 16: Swordmanship Training
Chapter 17: Misunderstanding
Chapter 18: Enigma
Chapter 19: Red Gate
Chapter 20: Stranded
Chapter 21: the Dead of Winter
Chapter 22: Ice Elves
Chapter 23: Baruka
Chapter 24: Disaster
Chapter 25: Breaking Point
Chapter 26: Unfairness
Chapter 27: Changes
Chapter 28: Re-evaluation
Chapter 29: Torturous
Chapter 30: High Orcs
Chapter 31: Behind the Scene
Chapter 32: Kargalgan
Chapter 33: Shadow
Chapter 34: Shadow (2)
Chapter 34.1: Bad End
Chapter 35: The New S-rank Hunters
Chapter 36: The Plan
Chapter 37: Pretender
Chapter 38: Pretender (2)
Chapter 39: Pretender (3)
Chapter 40: Before the Raid
Chapter 41: Jeju Island 1
Chapter 42: Jeju Island 2
Chapter 43: Jeju Island 3
Chapter 44: The Queen's Last Roar
Chapter 45: An Unseen Threat
Chapter 46: The Ant King 1
Chapter 47: The Ant King 2
Chapter 48: Final Confrontation 1
Chapter 49: Final Confrontation 2
Chapter 50: Final Confrontation 3
Chapter 51: Final Confrontation 4
Chapter 53: Farewell (End)
Final Words

Chapter 52: Final Confrontation 5

636 44 1
By inuoyekoichi

Seung-Eun was only able to see the dark window in front of his eyes.

In his first life, he was only able to read Sung Jin-Woo's story once. It was just a random manhwa he discovered on the internet during his darkest hour--when he was living alone in that lonely apartment and struggling to survive.

In the second life, he had the opportunity to witness and guide Sung Jin-Woo as he grew to be a National Level Hunter.

He had believed that everything was a fantasy, that no one's death mattered, and that he had no place in this world. But the people that he met in this world were affecting him more than he could have imagined, and as selfish as he thought he was, he couldn't bring them down to hell with him.

'I can't even be a proper villain.'

That was the last thing he thought before the system took over him entirely and he eventually succumbed to darkness.

The crest on Lanze's hand started to burn and then it disappeared.

'The contract is over?'

When he turned to look at his sire, he noticed that his body was covered in blood.

"Sire!!" Lanze ignored the shadow creatures and changed back to his normal form. 'I have to save him.'

He rushed towards Seung-Eun. 'Even if we have to abandon the mission.'

Boom!

Tusk let forth a powerful blast that covered the battlefield in flames. The human who was lying on the ground emerged from the fire as the flames died down.

A thunderstrike boomed, illuminating Seung-Eun's silhouette against the darkened sky.

Lanze stopped moving and felt an oppressive force that made him kneel.

'What is this presence?'

"Sire?"

His stomach was still covered in blood. While looking at the monster, Seung-Eun craned his neck and made a cracking noise. He gave him a strange look, as if he were staring at an insignificant ant.

In the blink of an eye, Seung-Eun appeared in front of Lanze, palm aimed at him as if he meant to smash him to death.

"Keuk!"

Lanze was hurled several meters away from the battleground.

'What's going on? He's two times more powerful than before!' Jin-Woo was puzzled. 'Did he finally use the system? But it doesn't explain why he is attacking his own ally.'

[Emergency Quest: Kill the Enemies has been activated!]

[An emergency quest has been issued!]

[There is an entity nearby that intends to murder the 'Player'. Slay the final boss of the Jeju Island raid and ensure your safety.]

[If this quest is not completed, a death penalty will be issued as a result.]

[Enemy required to kill: 1]

"A death penalty...?"

Jin-Woo turned to look at the culprit in despair.

"Why would you go this far?"

Words that hadn't been there before appeared on top of his head.

[The King of Evildoer]

...

When Jin-Woo initially obtained the system, he wanted to grow stronger and protect his family- his mother, sister, including Seung-Eun.

'So, why are we currently battling until one of us dies?'

Boom!

"Han Seung-Eun! Wake up!"

Jin-Woo protected himself behind Iron's shield while Seung-Eun used magic to attack them. When it was over, Jin-Woo leapt forward, readying his fist, but Seung-Eun did somersaults and kicked Jin-Woo in the chin.

Jin-Woo distanced himself from him by moving away.

'His movements are different than before.'

Every move was filled with killing intent.

'I have to give my all.'

His blows were lightning-fast, with each swing targeted not only at deflecting Seung-Eun's attacks but also at launching his own counterattacks.

"Impressive," Seung-Eun said in a different voice. "However, do you think this is enough to defeat me? After I kill you, I'll send catastrophe into this world and let everyone suffer for an eternity."

It was the sort of thing a typical villain would say.

"Wake up you dammit! Seung-Eun would have never said that!"

Jin-Woo, who utilized all of his strength, watched as his dagger cut Seung-Eun's right limb.

"I will kill you!"

Despite losing a limb, Seung-Eun continued attacking but his aim wasn't as quick or precise as it had been.

"If you really wanted to kill me, then why the hell are you crying?" Jin-Woo asked.

Momentarily distracted, he was unable to evade Seung-Eun's attack and the blow sent him crashing to the ground.

Blood and tears were both dripping down his cheek as Seung-Eun yelled in anger, "Imbecile human! Who do you think you are?!"

Jin-Woo rose to his feet, the pain in his body forgotten as he prepared to face Seung-Eun once more.

He could hear approaching footsteps.

"I'm surprised that you are still alive."

Lanze emerged from the woods, clutching his dislocated shoulder. He stood next to Jin-Woo, looking at the crazy person they were facing.

"No... Why this happening to him?"

Jin-Woo's expression was solemn. "He trusted you enough to fight with you. You are the one who knows him more than me."

"This isn't what we discussed. He only said that today is the last day I'll be working with him."

"Working to kill me, huh." Jin-Woo smiled in self-deprecation.

"How dare you ignore me."

Seung-Eun rushed forward and they began engaging in another fight. In the midst of it, something extraordinary occurred- the world around them seemed to shift and twist, transporting them to another realm and landscape.

"A dungeon?"

Jin-Woo wasn't able to breathe. The two of them were surrounded by cold darkness amidst an endless expanse of space. Distant stars provided sporadic flickers of light, casting a surreal glow upon them. From the corner of his eyes, Jin-Woo caught a glimpse of a blue planet in the distance.

Earth.

They were transported to the moon.

'Is this your way of killing me?' Jin-Woo couldn't speak but Seung-Eun replied with a devilish smile.

In the vast cosmic arena, amidst the silence and emptiness of the universe, both of them couldn't move their body as they wanted. As though Seung-Eun finally had a realisation that he would also die along with Jin-Woo, the scenery around them transformed.

Transported to a vast desert where the sky and sand met on the horizon, Jin-Woo was finally able to move. He immediately avoided Seung-Eun's punch as the scorching heat bore down upon them.

"Kieeek!"

A giant centipede opened its mouth and dove down to where the two of them just collided.

The desert was a place where Jin-Woo had to survive for four hours as a penalty quest given by the system.

Jin-Woo quickly killed the centipede bothering him while avoiding Seung-Eun's attacks. His attacks were getting easier to dodge.

Just as quickly as it had changed, the backdrop shifted again, this time to a field of red spider lily.

When Seung-Eun's defences were briefly weakened, Jin-Woo took advantage of the opening to attack. In that serene flower meadow, time seemed to stand still as Jin-Woo's blade pierced through Seung-Eun and dove deep into his flesh.

The air was mixed with the scent of blossoms and a metallic tinge of blood.

"This is how you properly kill someone, Seung-Eun ah." Jin-Woo whispered.

"Yeah, you are right."

Hearing Seung-Eun's reply, Jin-Woo looked at him in a daze.

"Why... why did you..." Jin-Woo couldn't continue speaking but Seung-Eun knew very well what he wanted to say.

Sung Jin-Woo wanted a better ending where the two of them lived, but it was something impossible to achieve.

Seung-Eun didn't want to leave Jin-Woo hanging and feel guilty. "I came to this world to save it... But there is a price that I have to pay."

"Is it related to the system?"

"Yeah..."

"There must be other way. As long as we work together-!"

'Give up, Sung Jin-Woo.'

From the moment Seung-Eun received the mission, he was destined to die. He was a reincarnator, and an anomaly that broke the world's balance. He could only walk on this treacherous path by himself.

"I'm sorry. I wish things could have been different." Looking at Jin-Woo who was taller and stronger than he first met him in this world, Seung-Eun said with a sad smile. "Don't cry, hyung."

Jin-Woo was in tears. "Stupid."

"Don't blame yourself."

It was his own decision.

"It's not your fault."

Rather than having a lonely death, it would be better to get killed by the protagonist.

The world around them transformed once more, the peaceful flower field dissipated into a tumultuous storm, and they were back on Jeju Island.  The rain washed away their blood, creating a haunting scene.

"I'm glad... that I can be by your side... from the beginning to the end."

A suitable ending for a side character.

"You've done well..."

"... I'm tired, hyung."

"Get some rest."

Rain poured from the gloomy sky as Jin-Woo stood over Seung-Eun, obscuring his vision and masking his expression. The only sound that broke the deafening silence was that of raindrops hitting the ground.

Seung-Eun looked at the light blue window flashing and curved his lips.

[Mission accomplished.]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

74.4K 1.8K 26
(Solo Leveling) Find out >:3 Also Completed, If you like this you might like Monstro Heim. There's a more focused plot in MH.
1.5K 60 9
What if the Leveling system from Solo Leveling was granted to another person, only it helped them grow into the power of Jinwoo Sung and Hagoromo Ots...
14.7K 352 7
You were a normal girl. No awakening, no special abilities. Just normal, but the girlfriend of Sung Jin-Woo. With no memory, you woke up here as a ch...
4.1K 270 15
𝕤𝕒𝕞𝕤𝕒𝕣𝕒. / (𝕤ə𝕞ˈ𝕤ɑː𝕣ə) / 𝕟𝕠𝕦𝕟. 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕖𝕟𝕕𝕝𝕖𝕤𝕤 𝕔𝕪𝕔𝕝𝕖 𝕠𝕗 𝕓𝕚𝕣𝕥𝕙, 𝕕𝕖𝕒𝕥𝕙, 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕣𝕖𝕓𝕚𝕣𝕥𝕙. in which you, the...