His Fairy

By WYLD_ROSE

Final book of the Jackson Series! Faye West is struggling to find friendship in college when Noah Jackson sh... More

AN: IMPORTANT!
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
23
24

22

806 66 7
By WYLD_ROSE

Chapter Twenty Two - Downhill

I disappear into the aisles of the grocery store I had popped into before deeming it safe enough to do a group call, speaking in a hushed tone once the man picks up. "Ryan's in Dallas and following me. We spotted him just now."

"Shit – okay, um..." Roman trails off and I can hear doors closing in the background. "We need to lure him somewhere so that we can catch him. He can't escape this time."

"We could lure him to the safehouse?" Navy suggests, my main bodyguard out of the group. "Are you in town?"

"Yes, I'm just at the office here and leaving now." Roman replies as I pretend to be looking for something. "Did he notice you guys?"

"No, we're staying out of sight as usual. He most likely thinks that she's alone." Navy responds and I stiffen at his next words. "Get out of the store Faye. He's walking in now, let him get into an aisle and then make your way out fast."

"Okay." I whisper before walking to the edge of an aisle and peeking out. I see Ryan walk into the first aisle and quickly run out of the store. "What now?"

"We're going to have you walk out of the parking lot." Navy instructs and I slow to a stop with a shaky breath. "I can see him at the cash registers so we're going to wait for him to leave and notice you. He'll start following you then."

"I'll be near you guys in five." Roman's voice filters through and it sounds like he's running.

"Shit!" I jump out of my skin when my phone buzzes, pulling it back to see who's calling. "Noah's ringing me."

"Decline it! We don't have time to tell Noah and there's nothing he can do anyways." Roman instructs and I nod before cutting the call, texting him back that I'll talk to him later. He's returning tonight after being gone on a two-day trip with Evan to get new equipment for the ranch. By the time he comes back I'm hoping Ryan will finally be in handcuffs.

"Alright." I mumble as I spot Navy up ahead watching me like a hawk.

"Don't feel guilty Faye, he'll get over it. We need to come out of this with zero casualties, that's my goal." He replies and it fills me with some hope. "I'm not going to let my future sister-in-law get hurt."

A full-fledged blush coats my cheeks at that causing Navy to smirk and I avert my gaze to my feet. "C-Cool...um...is Ryan out yet Navy?"

"He is now so keep walking back to the safehouse and act casual. As if you're talking to a friend." He instructs and I do just that although it's more difficult that I thought since I'm trying not to get hurt.

"I'm rushing up ahead and we've got the police surrounding the safehouse, out of sight so we don't tip him off. Faye, you're going to head into the safehouse without looking back and as soon as you're in run to the last exit in that hallway. We'll get you out from there." Roman explains and my heart beats so fast against my ribcage in fear that I'm afraid it might burst out of my chest.

The safehouse that I'm currently in is built so that one entire floor in the apartment building is mine but on the outside it looks like the multiple doors in the hallway all belong to different people. It has a U floor plan with one door at the end serving to either connect me to the other side or get out. Inside it's like a maze set to confuse an intruder and the first thing that Navy showed me when I got here were the exits, secret passageways leading downstairs to empty apartments and the panic buttons.

"Faye, we're going to end this call but I'm waiting inside." Navy speaks and his voice is hushed. "I've called the lift and we're going to go in it together okay?"

"O-Okay." I feel a block of emotion wedge itself in my throat but force it down. At this point I'm like a puppet doing whatever they say out of necessity.

"I promise we won't let you get hurt. Just follow our orders without hesitation and this will end today. Ryan will be behind bars before you know it." Roman soothes away my fears and I smile at that. "He's gaining on you so get inside and run to the lift. Ending the call now, Navy take over."

I do as I say and step inside before breaking out into a sprint towards Navy who waits for me in the lift. He repeatedly presses a button and the doors start closing right after I make it through, taking us up as he helps me put on a bulletproof vest. Navy takes my hand just as a ding echoes and the doors open again, dragging me towards the first door and then locking it as soon as we're in.

"Run towards the middle exit and wait for me there." He orders and I'm surprised at how calm he is until I realize he's probably been through worse situations with his job.

Just as I've reached it though gunshots echo and the windows shatter eliciting a scream from me. Sirens wail outside as each door is broken down and groups of men with guns storm through making me panic while Navy roars at me to hide. I manage to get to the other side of the floor before Roman catches up to me and grabs my hand tightly, guiding me to a secret room before holding his finger against his lips. I only have time to nod before we're suddenly shrouded in darkness.

"Faye!" Ryan roars in frustration and I bite my lip hard when I hear a gunshot. "Get out here you fucking bitch!"

It's quiet for a few seconds before I hear Navy yell out an order to his team and then it's as if bullets are raining down on the building. Loud. Sharp. Booming. I'm shaking against Roman who rubs my shoulder but it does nothing to comfort me. We step back when someone is thrown against the door to the secret room before it's flung open. Roman fires without hesitation and the man slumps to the ground, blood pouring out of his chest as quick as the light leaves his eyes.

"You killed him." I breathe in shock as he guides me into another part of the safehouse.

"Sorry, did you want him alive?" He shoots back sarcastically.

"No, no. C-Continue."

With a small, amused smile he drags me forward just as I lock eyes with Ryan. Due to my non-existent coping abilities and overall stupidity, I throw up a peace sign and his eyes narrow into angry slits before he raises his gun. Roman is quicker though and starts shooting at Ryan as if he's got an infinite number of bullets to work with.

"Faye! This is all happening because of you!" Ryan yells as he follows us around in a loop around the safehouse. "People don't need to die if you would just agree to the deal!"

"Man up and take some responsibility you jerk!" I scream back before kicking a guy in the nuts as he tries to stab Roman. "I bet you're not even saying R.I.P. as they fall!"

"And you are?!" He shouts back incredulously.

I stop responding and take over, yanking Roman into another room whereas Ryan rushes in a direction away from us. Navy finds us in that exact moment and slams the door behind him before I open the latch by a far wall to reveal a set of stairs. Without needing to communicate Roman nods and ushers me down before I turn and meet his gaze.

"Stick with Navy."

"Be safe." I quickly reply before making space for Navy to follow me down.

We pace the length of the room while gunshots and screaming echo upstairs...until the sound becomes louder and louder. Navy's eyes are as wide as mine before they narrow and he presses his ear against the door. He swears heatedly before turning to face me and his eyes bounce across the room chaotically before settling on the stairs again.

"What the fuck are they doing down on this level?!" He scowls and I barely hear him through the police sirens and some cop yelling on what I can only assume is a megaphone. "Rome?! They're down here –"

"Get back up, lock the hatch and get away from both doors. That room is clear and his numbers are dwindling. Just stay put!" Roman's voice filters through the speaker. "I think Ryan figured out the safehouse's location and has been watching it for a while."

Goodness, this is enough exercise for the summer! I think to myself as we get back into the room upstairs. Navy ensures both doors are locked before placing furniture pieces against them to prevent anyone from coming in...or having a hard time at least. He turns to me as I sit against a wall, clutching my knees to my chest, and his eyes soften.

"How are you holding up kid?"

"Just peachy! T-This is a decent safehouse considering we haven't died yet." I shoot him a thumbs up and he shakes his head at me in amusement.

"Faye! I've got eyes on Noah!" Ryan sings amidst the noise. "If you don't get out here I'll tell them to pull the trigger!"

My eyes widen and I almost shoot up but Navy shakes his head. "He's bluffing."

"He brought this many men just to hunt me down! What if he really does have someone –"

"He doesn't Faye, trust me on this. Nothing will happen to Noah, he's safe." Navy vows and I eventually nod.

"Faye!" A familiar voice roars and my jaw drops.

"What the actual fuck?!" Navy breathes and the sight of him losing composure would be comical if we weren't in this situation.

"Noah?! You fucking idiot – get down!" I hear Roman yell and my body shakes at the thought of Noah getting shot. What is he even doing here?!

"Where's Faye?!"

"She's dead!" Ryan taunts from somewhere before laughing maniacally.

I squeeze my eyes shut only to jump out of my skin when someone starts hacking away at the door. Navy blows out a frustrated breath before readying himself and aiming the gun at the door, firing mercilessly as soon as it's beaten down. Ryan steps in with crazed eyes that lock onto me and I curse myself for not asking for a weapon to protect myself.

"Found you."

"Stand down." Navy orders before smirking. "Or die. I don't care either way."

A scream escapes me as bullets are fired at the latch behind us, someone trying to get in. Ryan fires at us and I glue myself to Navy's back, following his movement as we circle the room. Navy calls for someone on his radio and a startled cry leaves my lips when I'm grabbed from behind and taken out of the room.

This time it's a woman with platinum blonde hair helping me, yanking me out of the first door and down the stairwell. There's men everywhere shooting at and fighting each other, and I feel some disbelief over how I'm running past them and they don't even realize. Then again it's not my money being blown on them so who really cares?

"Faye! Get back here!" Ryan seethes as he chases us, bullets clanking off the iron railings on our way down.

The entire building's electricity seems to have been cut off and my heart goes out to the residents screaming inside their apartments, probably scared to death over what's going on. Just as we burst through the door and into the lobby I look around in horror at the amount of people packed in here fighting.

Everyone turns to us before the men on our side form a line to prevent anyone getting through to us. The woman shoves me into a nearby room before slamming it shut and I struggle to calm my poor heart. I slowly step towards the window only for my shoulders to droop dejectedly when I spot men with guns lined up outside, clearly not on our side either. It feels like the gunshots and fighting will never end.

Yellow-hazel eyes meet mine and I freeze, staring back at the man who had turned to look inside. His lips pull up into a sneer and I take off running right before he smashes the window and starts firing at me. I push my legs to run faster and a cry is just on the tip of my tongue when someone grabs my hand only to die out when I realize it's Navy.

"How are we not dead yet?!" I pant as he drags me down another hallway. "And how big is this fucking building?!"

There's an echo of a gunshot before Navy yells out painfully, stumbling slightly and my eyes widen in horror when I realize that he's been shot. Where? I don't exactly know. I wrap his arm around my shoulders as we run before grabbing his gun and firing behind me with little to no aim or experience. A bullet seems to strike Hazel Eyes though because I hear a strangled noise and look over my shoulder to see him slumped in the hallway.

I find an untouched room by some miracle and set Navy down albeit unceremoniously, wheezing out an apology when he groans in agony. Taking off the light cardigan I was wearing I quickly tie a makeshift bandage across his chest where blood is pouring out. A series of oh no's leave me when he becomes unresponsive and closes his eyes, leaving me no choice but to slap his face to try and wake him up again.

"Faye!"

I hear Noah yell from behind me and turn around to see him shoving a man away from me right before Roman joins and kills him. I have no idea where they came from and assume there must be another stairwell but at this point I'm too freaked out to care. I scan Noah for any injuries and am relieved to find none before they lift Navy up.

Roman guides us to a door and I open it to step out onto the street where paramedics immediately take Navy off us and police guide us away. More police cars join at that moment and extra men dash into the building shouting out orders, not hesitating to shoot anyone down who doesn't co-operate.

As soon as I get an opportunity I'm throwing myself at Noah who hugs me fiercely, tilting my chin up to kiss me desperately. If there wasn't still adrenaline running through my veins I'm sure I would be crying right now in usual Faye fashion. He kisses me one, two, three more times before pulling me impossibly closer and resting his chin atop my head. We don't speak and if we did I don't think I'd know what to say in this moment.

"Ryan?" I wonder aloud at some point and Roman points behind me. I turn to see Ryan sitting in a cop car handcuffed with a murderous look on his face.

Noah pulls away from me but doesn't let go of my hand as he fixes Roman with a look. "What the fuck were you thinking?!"

"Me?! What the hell were you thinking when you entered the building?!"

"I was thinking that my girlfriend's in danger! Danger that you put her in!" Noah yells just as I spot the rest of my guards make it out safely.

"The plan was to get Faye out as soon as he entered the floor. It just didn't go as smoothly as we had hoped."

I speak up despite Roman shaking his head at me discreetly. "Noah –"

"Don't." He glares at me and I flinch at the anger in his eyes. "She could've gotten seriously hurt...again! Your plan should have never involved her!"

"We had to lure him in –"

"You could've come up with something else!"

"If we had the fucking time then sure but we didn't! Did you want him to escape?! For her to live in fear constantly wondering where he was?!" Roman finally snaps with a yell. "We've caught him now, there isn't a scratch on her so what's your problem?!"

Noah doesn't respond for a few seconds and I watch as he reins himself in before nodding. "You're right, I'm sorry for worrying about her."

Roman simmers down too and reaches out to him with a resigned sigh. "Noah –"

"No, it's fine. It's not like you'd react the same way if I had put Elena or your children in that much danger." He raises his hands in a surrendering motion. "I have no right to be angry or worried or scared out of my mind. It's not like she could've died in there."

I stop him from leaving by placing a hand on his chest. His jaw clenches tightly but he stops nonetheless and stares down at me but it's like he's shut the windows to his soul. There's barely any emotion flickering through and the iciness makes me step back a little. Helplessness bubbles up inside me as I wonder what to do to fix things.

"I'm sorry." I whisper as tears brim my eyes. "We didn't want anyone else getting hurt. I-I just wanted to protect you."

"Yeah...same here." He nods and shoots me a fake smile as if everything is alright, but it's not. There's knots in my belly twisting and turning so tightly knowing that he shouldn't be this...detached suddenly. "You should go give a statement then I'll take you to my place."

I nod before Roman guides me to a police officer and I answer their questions as quickly as I can while keeping eye on Noah. He stands where we left him staring at Ryan hatefully until they take him away. Thankfully not many from our side were hurt apart from Navy who's currently at the hospital to take that bullet out.

"I'm going to go be with Navy." Roman squeezes my shoulder once we're finished with the statements. "Noah will take you home okay?"

"Thank you for helping me and keeping me safe Roman." I hug him and he chuckles before patting my back.

"Like I said –"

"Yeah, yeah." I wave him off and start walking over to Noah, Roman's laughter echoing behind me.

"Ready to go?"

"Yes." I nod and he takes my hand before guiding me to his car that's parked on the opposite street. "How did you...what were you doing here?"

"I just got back and hadn't seen you in a while so I thought I'd stop by."

The drive to his place is tense and suffocating but I don't speak even though there's so much I want to say. He doesn't look at me once and my heart aches painfully, not knowing what to do. I open my mouth to talk once he parks the car but he's out the door within seconds and stops at the front to wait for me. Everything about him is off.

"Where would you feel more comfortable? Main house or cabin?" He asks once I join him.

"Um, cabin?" I answer but it comes out as more of a question.

"Alright, I'll go get it ready. You go have dinner then meet me there." He replies before turning to walk away.

"You're not coming?"

"Not hungry." He shakes his head and continues onwards without looking back.

I bite my lip hard before sucking it up and entering the main house to greet his parents who immediately fuss over me. Their eyes search for Noah and I explain, watching them shoot each other looks of confusion before ushering me inside. We have dinner and I try my best to be present but my mind strays to Noah repeatedly. I don't know if he's angry or if he wants space. It seems like he doesn't want to talk to me at all.

Putting my plate in the sink I see that the lights of the cabin are on and Noah walking around. Michelle ushers me out when I offer to help clean up and I eventually decide to head to bed. I make my way outside and open the door quietly, hearing Noah shuffling around upstairs so that's where I go. He's just finished making the bed for me when I enter the room.

"Bathroom is fully stocked if you want to take a shower. I brought some of my clothes over, we can go get you new ones tomorrow." He says before striding towards the door and switching off the light, the warm glow from the lamp casting a slight shadow across his face. "Do you need anything else?"

"You won't stay?"

"I'm not tired yet." He replies before backing out into the hallway.

"Noah, I..." I trail off and he waits at least instead of trying to get away from me as quick as humanely possible. "I love you."

"I love you too." He murmurs but it's not the same. "Goodnight Faye. I'll be downstairs."

"Goodnight." I whisper but he's already gone.

I never thought it would be possible to miss someone who hasn't left.

Vote if you are enjoying this story!

Chapter 23 is already up on Inkitt! Follow the instructions below or in my announcement post to read my book faster!

1. Download the app

2. Follow my profile

3. Put my book in your reading list!

- R.W. ♡

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 448 36
[COMPLETE] Genesis Munroe, a virtuoso college freshman has always been the shy type, the good girl, the smart kid who sat in the back of class and pr...
2.1M 83.2K 68
how far would you go . . . for someone you love? ♔ Levi steps forward, placing himself between me and Jack. Like he's protecting me from him. But I d...
272K 10.8K 21
"I walked over to where Aaron was sitting on the ground, kneeling so that I was face-to-face with him. He was wearing a blank expression on his face...
2.1M 61.5K 56
''There is only one thing crossing my mind right now. If he hates me so much, then why the hell is he kissing me back?'' ----------------------- Emma...