His Fairy

Per WYLD_ROSE

Final book of the Jackson Series! Faye West is struggling to find friendship in college when Noah Jackson sh... Més

AN: IMPORTANT!
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24

16

887 71 5
Per WYLD_ROSE

Chapter Sixteen - Greed

A Week Later.

I exit the airport building with a hopeful feeling only for it to diminish when I spot only a driver with my name on a card waiting for me. I shouldn't have expected my dad to come get me, he usually only does it if Abel is with me and my brother is currently waiting with Noah since I plan to leave Florida the same day. After Evie's attack I got my dad to reschedule my flight and Abel decided to stay with me longer while keeping up with college work remotely.

I walk over to the man and confirm my name before we get into the car and drive off towards home. We only live an hour away and I use the time to take in the scenery with music blasting through my headphones since I can't seem to calm my mind otherwise. I text Noah and Abel back telling them that I've arrived. My leg bounces the closer we get to the gates and I feel like I'm going to faint as I pay the driver. I hate confrontation of any kind so this is like my worst nightmare.

But I know this is something I must do to save myself from being bound to a life with no joy. I think back to the time where dad had taken me to Ohlsen Industries and the expectant looks shot my way, waiting for me to say that I'll consider this partnership. Talk about peer pressure except none of them were my peers. Well, apart from Ryan.

I'm not even sure why I agreed to consider this deal. It came soon after my mother's death so perhaps I felt pressured to please my father after constantly feeling like I was failing him, never doing anything right after taking his wife away from him. From then on me and Ryan just went on with our lives with the knowledge that we'll end up together in the future in the back of our mind. Since there was no attraction to each other we rarely spoke and when we did it was always about the businesses.

I think back to the time when I saw Ryan at that initial meeting who looked bored out of his mind and not the least bit interested in me. Nobody ever was. After the accident I became a bit of a loner because nobody wanted to be friends with the sad girl. At first it hurt that nobody liked me or wanted to get to know me...until I got used to it. But I couldn't stop my thoughts from chipping away at my confidence and self-esteem.

Was I that unlikeable?

Am I not doing a good job at pretending to be okay? I don't cry anymore and sure I don't smile either but why did I lose the little friends that I had? Do I deserve it for killing my mom?

Why have I never had a boyfriend? Am I unattractive? Do I need to change myself? But then...how can someone love me when I can't even love my true self?

I had pushed those thoughts deep down and ignored them, shrugging them off...until I found Lilah who wanted to be my friend because she liked me. Until Noah who wanted to be with me because of who I am. Until I became part of a group of people who made me realize that I'd like to live a joyful life doing what I want, loving who I want rather than being in a marriage with someone who will never care for me and be unfaithful. Because man oh man has Ryan been the typical playboy hopping from one bed into another faster than I can blink.

I deserve more. I've done nothing to anyone to be in misery and tears all the time. Everyone is worthy of happiness and love. I want it too.

Walking up to the keypad I punch in the code and make my way up the driveway. I glance at the sitting room's window and curse under my breath when I find my dad sitting in his usual armchair. I drop my duffle bag by the door and walk into complete silence.

He doesn't greet me, just stares with cold and empty dark green eyes. His milky white skin looks a lot paler and contrasts with the black hair atop his head, in the same neat hairstyle as always but his beard is slightly longer this time. Dad's quite taller than me standing at six foot, two with a slim build. His height used to intimidate me but not anymore.

"You are no longer going to see him."

"Yes, I am." I reply calmly, the complete opposite to my racing heart.

He narrows his eyes as he stands to his full height and it's like I'm small again. "You can't be with him Faye. You agreed to a partnership that involves marrying Ryan."

"A partnership that I never signed." I remind him and his eyes narrow into slits. "After giving it some more thought I won't be going through with it."

"You've lost your goddamn mind! This is the company you're going to take over one day Faye!" He barks as tension flares. "The fact that you're not thinking about the benefits is concerning! Maybe I shouldn't hand it down to you!"

"The fact that you're going to force me, your daughter might I remind you for the nth time, to marry someone I don't want nor love is concerning dad!" I retort as my fists clench.

"You're ungrateful." He simmers down and walks over to the bar cart to pour himself a drink. "I gave you everything Faye and this is how you repay me?"

You forgot about me dad. You blamed me for something I had no control over – for something that wasn't my fault, I think to myself. So many unresolved issues between us feels like we're miles away. We're both silent for a moment and I take the time to process what he said.

"It's the best thing for us...for you. It's the least you can do after going behind my back and lying to me about Jackson." He speaks up again and I just feel like punching him.

"Say what you want but my decision is final. You can hand over the company to Abel." I cross my arms and dig my nails into the skin of my arms.

"Abel isn't suited for it and you know that Faye. This is why I pushed you towards science –"

"I'm studying science because of mom...not because of you and not for you." I cut him off with a glare. "You've never cared about me dad. It's always been about Abel and that hurt but I got over it. Fine, you prefer one child over another but what I can't get over is that you blatantly ignored me, isolated me, and made me feel guilty over mom's death. I was a fucking child and didn't deserve it. I deserved a parent but it turns out that I lost both that day."

He stares back at me not knowing what to say. His mouth opens and closes a few times but nothing escapes which makes me sigh. Here I was hoping he would listen and understand, that perhaps something good could come out of us talking. I shake my head at him and turn to leave but he finally speaks, stopping me.

"I started West Medical because of your mother...she always wanted to help people in need. She was a good person." I turn back to see him smile slightly which is a rare sight. "Now's our chance to grow the business Faye and this partnership will provide us with everything we need to successfully reach more and more people. To help them...to make medical care accessible for all. Just like she's always wanted. I'm trying to fulfil her dream that's all."

I stare at him as my heart hurts, wondering how this man can stomach manipulating his daughter using the death of his wife as ammunition. I relax my shoulders and step forward while watching him closely, noticing him perk up and his eyes gleaming with victory. A flicker of something sinister burns behind those depths of green, something that didn't used to be there before.

"My answer is still no. I'm not here to argue or come to a compromise with you. I'm merely giving you a heads up that I will not be going through with this...ever."

"You're going to throw a life of success away for a fling?!" He finally loses it and chucks his glass at the wall with such force it makes me flinch. "You're not thinking clearly Faye! What can that boy give you? He has nothing! Nothing! Ryan –"

"Noah is not a fling and this isn't about him." I state firmly as I stand my ground. "This is about me realizing that I don't want to do this. I don't want a loveless marriage –"

"You can learn to love each other!"

"I don't want that!" I scream and my body shakes with frustration. "I don't want that and if I end up alone then so be it! There's more to life than money for fuck's sake!"

"The money that we'll both get from this partnership will set us up for life you idiot!" He seethes as he grabs my arms and shakes me. There it is in all its glory. Greed. "How can you be so selfish?!"

"No...you are. You only care about yourself." I mutter, suddenly exhausted. "You'd rather see your own child miserable and that's disgusting dad. The business can still be successful without this partnership, we don't need it."

A moment of silence passes before his hands drop and he stands to his full height again, expressionless. "This is a perfect example of why I wish Abel would have taken over instead."

"Sucks to be you then." I shrug before turning to leave.

"I won't hesitate to remove Noah from your life if you don't listen to me." He warns which makes me chuckle humorlessly.

"All for a bit of money...as if you don't already live a life of luxury." I start making my way towards the door.

"For a good cause Faye –"

"If that's what helps you sleep at night then sure you piece of shit! I hope mom's sitting up in heaven disappointed as fuck that she ever fell in love with you!" I snap as I grab my bag and march out of the house.

"Faye! You're not leaving!"

As soon as I step outside I see men in suits everywhere and instantly my stomach turns with unease and dread. I grab my phone and place a group call to Noah and Abel just as I hear my father step out from behind me. Dad watches me with a malicious smirk as I bring the device up to my ear and hear their greetings laced with confusion.

"What is this?! You need to let me leave!"

"I had suspected you might fight me Faye." Dad shakes his head as he leisurely walks across the driveway while I back up with each step he takes. "You leave me no choice."

"This is fucking illegal!" I spit with venom lacing my tone.

"Who's going to stop me?" He chuckles with his arms spread, looking around for the cops I wish would just burst onto our property like they do in the movies.

"Abel...Noah..." I start shakily, wishing I was dreaming right now. "There's men everywhere – in suits – I'm pretty sure dad is going to force me to marry Ryan. I'm freaking out! Please help – ah!"

I yelp when dad breaks out into a run causing me to race away but there's no escape. I can faintly hear shouting coming from my phone but I have no time to answer when there's a dozen men chasing after me, eventually pinning me to the ground after scrambling to get my thrashing arms and legs in their grip. Since when did my father have this many goons?

Dad uncurls my fingers from the tight grip I had over my phone and pockets it before ordering the men to carry me inside. I thrash and scream but it's all futile because I'm overpowered, quickly being thrown into the basement where I know there's no escape. My father follows me in and I scoot back until I hit a wall, his hand wrapping around my throat and eliciting a pained whimper.

"You'll be marrying Ryan tomorrow." His voice is now calm and collected but his words make the last bit of hope disappear.

"Dad...please...please don't do this. This isn't right." I croak as tears brim my eyes. "I'll work as hard as you want me to. I-I'll do everything I can to make sure that West Medical is successful –"

"Our competitors are taking over Faye and I can't wait for you to finish college or worse, change your mind again." His eyes harden and involuntarily a heartbroken sob escapes me. "As you proved earlier...all it took was a silly little crush on a boy."

"I won't stay quiet –"

"Everyone that I hire for this wedding is in on my plan honey." He smiles but it's wicked and dark as he caresses my hair. "Crying for help won't get you anywhere I'm afraid."

I don't know what to do or say and he picks up on that, standing with a satisfied expression. A frustrated cry echoes in the large and mostly vacant room as my father slams the door and I hear the click of a lock. I slump against the wall feeling helpless and stuck. It feels like the world is shrinking and it's becoming a little harder to breathe.

I think about Abel and whether he's going to help me. I think about Noah wishing I could run back into his arms of comfort. Wishing I never came here. Surely there must be someone that can help tomorrow. I wonder to myself but doubt rears its ugly head and I close my eyes dejectedly.

I deserve more but how do I give myself that when life seems to be working against me?

Update schedule is: two or three times a week whenever I find time!

Vote if you are enjoying this story!

Chapter 17 is already up on Inkitt! Follow the instructions below or in my announcement post to read my book faster!

1. Download the app

2. Follow my profile

3. Put my book in your reading list!

- R.W. ♡

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

2:29 AM Per Alex Irvine

Literatura romàntica

873K 18.8K 66
"Okay, you know what? You're such a jackass and I never should have kissed you," I say. Colton stands up. His green eyes are just as angry as mine ar...
1.7M 2.3K 3
"You're not serious right?" He gave me a bored look, turning around to face me completely. He brought his face a little closer and parted his lips t...
272K 10.8K 21
"I walked over to where Aaron was sitting on the ground, kneeling so that I was face-to-face with him. He was wearing a blank expression on his face...
Deeper Per anya jayvyn

Literatura romàntica

38.1M 1M 75
In which I fall in love with my brother's best friend. ***** "Don't pretend like you don't feel anything." His voice is low, sending shivers down my...