The Curse Of The Alpha

By Midika

"So you're a virgin, then." He says it so blatantly it rattles me to the core. "No! I mean, would it matter i... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42

27

4.1K 159 8
By Midika

Word Count: 1980

~Meara

I stare at myself in the mirror, wincing.

How the fuck could I let this happen?

Instead of spending last night enjoying my peace, I spent it tossing and turning in my bed, thinking of Carran...

The last person I want to be thinking of at any point in time.

The problem is, Carran's admission has done more than just stun me. It has complicated things. I don't actually think he likes me, at least how he thinks. He just wants something over Sire, a way to aggravate him.

And if Sire finds out, he won't stop to think why Carran kissed me. My own Alpha will be dead in no time.

Gritting my teeth, I tug my hair from its bun, my dark hair falling over my neck.

I didn't realise how hard Carran kissed me last night. It wasn't passionate by any means, but in the moment I didn't feel how hard his hands gripped my face.

And now, under my jaw, on my neck, and six total fingerprints, with three on each side of my neck. They are faint, but it's obvious they are there.

And why...

I pace back and forth, the wood floor creaking beneath my steps. Sire will be here any minute now to take me back to his manor, and he is hauntingly attentive.

Maybe I should go to Mary's. She may have something I can use to cover it up. Problem is, I won't be able to get there in time, even if I drive.

A hand grabs my arm from behind me. "Woah, what's with the pacing?"

I yelp, stumbling back a few steps. Whirling around, I stare back at a concerned looking Sire, his gaze roving over me.

Instinctively I pull my hair further around my neck, concealing most of my skin. I've never been grateful to have such thick, curly hair.

"Nothing, sorry," I mutter, resting my palm on my forehead. "I didn't hear you arrive."

He tracks me with his hard stare as I wander into the kitchen, filling a glass of water. "I only just got here. Why were you pacing?"

"I've just been thinking about the curse, about how it could get me or Mary at any moment," I blurt out before draining the whole glass of water.

It's not entirely a lie, but it's not why I'm stressed right now.

Gah, since when did I start sweating so much?

Sire takes a step toward me, his presence washing over me. He grabs my chin, forcing me to look into his eyes when I so desperately want to avert them.

I'm not the best liar, and Sire is good at reading my emotions.

"The curse isn't your fault. Stop bearing this burden," he murmurs.

I swallow thickly. Oh. He believes me.

"I'm just worried about it hurting people. Please, we need to start doing more to find a way to end it," I exclaim. This is an easy excuse to run with because I genuinely want more to be done about the curse.

I could wake up tomorrow being dreadfully sick. Sire knows that.

He lets my chin go. "We will get this done. I promise it is my focus."

It's true, it is his focus. But it won't be if he knows what Carran did last night. He will go back to wanting revenge, just when we have been making such good progress.

"Okay. Good."

He slips his hand into mine. "Let's get you back home. This Pack is going to ruins and I don't want you in it for much longer."

I smile tightly, not pushing him on that. As the world disappears around us, I watch Sire. The moment our feet are touching the ground I pull my hair back over my shoulders, hoping it keeps in place.

I'm going to need to find an outfit that sufficiently covers my neck. Problem is, it's just below my jaw. Not much can hide that.

"Good to be back?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah. It's good," I breathe, giving him my best smile. Why have I forgotten how to act all of a sudden?

"What's going, Meara? You look exhausted."

I shake my head, backing off down the hallway. I need to get to my room to decompress and get myself together. What happened last night means nothing. Sire won't know unless I'm the one who tells him.

"I'm fine, honestly. I think I just need to go have a bath and then we can have some lunch together," I tell him, forcing some brightness into my tone.

A quiet storm simmers in his eyes. He doesn't believe that nothing is wrong with me, and he will stand here and demand the truth from me until eventually I spill.

"What happened to you? You were acting strange last night." He steps closer, his brows drawing together with each step I take back.

I don't want him too close. What if he sees beneath my hair and see's the marks?

"I already told you. It's about the curse," I stutter, shaking my head in frustration. Why can't he just drop this?

Why did I have to be paired with the most stubborn mate in existence?

He reaches out and grabs my wrist, stopping me from walking back down the corridor. He tugs me a little closer before he presses his hands on either side of my face, forcing me to look at him.

"Did you have a fight with Mary? Did that old boyfriend of yours come back, because I'll kill him if he did."

I shake my head, hyper-aware at the way his hands rest in a similar position to how Carran's did last night.

"No, nothing happened. Seriously Sire, let me go have a bath."

He sweeps his hands through my hair, like he's trying to soothe me, but instead I still, knowing he's just pushed enough of it back to show my neck.

"Why don't I come with you? We need to talk some more," he murmurs, his gaze pinned on me.

I just hope it stays there.

"No, I'll just go on my own," I breathe, trying to pull myself out of his grasp.

He frowns, his stare dipping to my neck as my hair falls away. Before I can yank my head away completely, he presses his hand into the back of my neck and tilts my head to the side.

"I know I'm strong but I don't think I did that," he murmurs, his brow furrowing as he brushes his thumb over the bruises on the left side of my neck.

"You didn't. It's nothing," I mutter, finally pulling away.

Now he won't look away from the damn marks. They aren't even that serious, but he's trained on them like they are knife wounds.

"Why are you acting like this if it's nothing?" he questions. "Who did this to you?"

"No one," I excuse, wishing my cheeks wouldn't flush as hot as they currently are. "Honestly, I probably just bumped it."

He shakes his head at me. He doesn't believe me at all, and there is nothing but the truth that is going to make this problem go away. If I blame it on someone else, he will just focus his fury on them.

"Those look like fingerprint marks. Did someone strangle you?" His voice grows deeper and rougher with each word, his anger palpable.

Summoning a deep breath, I decide I just need to come clean about this.

"If I tell you the truth, you have to be calm about it. Okay?" I step close enough, smiling tentatively, trying to convey that this isn't that big of a deal.

His eyes narrow. "What the fuck happened?"

"Promise me. Seriously, or I won't say it," I warn. I can't have him vanishing the moment I say anything, knowing he went to kill Carran.

"Fine. Just tell me."

"It was Carran," I say quietly.

He stills, his face remaining eerily calm. He blinks. Once. Twice. Then, a cold kind of ire stains his eyes, turning them a dark, tumultuous blue.

"When?"

I shift from foot to foot. "Last night."

He closes his eyes briefly, inhaling. He's taking my suggestion very seriously, remaining so calm it's almost disturbing.

"How did he do that? Was he trying to kill you?" His voice wavers a little, a moment of weakness slipping in at the thought of me being hurt.

I shake my head, knowing this part is the worst of all to admit. "He kissed me."

He frowns. Only a little. It seems like it's taken him a moment to understand what I just said, but the moment I do, all bets are off. He doesn't bother hiding his anger a moment longer.

"You're telling me Carran kissed you," he growls.

"Oh yes. He came to my cabin last night and told me he had feelings about me, then he kissed me," I say quickly. "On the bright side, he doesn't know you're out of the tomb."

Sire stares at me, shaking his head slowly. "I'm going to kill him."

He goes to move past me but I step in front of him, planting my hands on his chest. I'm not going to let him reveal himself to Carran.

"Don't," I snap. "It meant nothing, he just said it because he's an ass and wants to keep tormenting you, even if he thinks you're underground."

Sire tries to step past me again, but I cut him off.

"Meara, please get out of my way so I can go deal with this," he breathes, so painfully calm, and yet his tone conveys inexplicable fury.

Exhaling slowly, I finally decide to step away.

"If you walk away and go do something, I won't forgive you," I warn quietly. "I will be gone by the time you are back and I will never want to see you again. Got it?"

He pauses.

"I mean it, Sire. We had an agreement."

He turns around slowly, digging his hands into his hair with frustration.

"I want my mate to come talk to me. We can figure this out," I tell him softly.

His expression falters and he advances on me. I don't stop him as he draws me into a hug. I can feel the tension bleed from his muscles, as he relaxes against my touch.

"I'm sorry, but you're mine, Meara," he murmurs into my hair. "Carran can't have what's mine."

I pull back so I can focus on his face. "He doesn't have me. He briefly kissed me and I pushed him off then he left."

"What did he say to you?"

"He told me that he felt guilty that I have to spend my life mateless, and offered to be with me," I say.

Sire cracks a smile, and then a breathy laugh. I doubt he ever expected his enemy to be so pathetic.

"I feel a bit better. He has no chance with you." He brushes his fingers over my face, gazing down at me.

I shake my head. "No chance."

He sobers from his brief moment of amusement. "He overstepped, though. I may not reveal myself to him now, but I'm going to get my revenge eventually, Meara. I can't rest until I do.

I sigh. "Sire..."

"You can be angry at me, but I hope you see it from my perspective." He leans forward, kissing my cheek. "Any man who touches my mate must die. And he will."

💙••💙

Want more?? This story is available 10 chapters ahead on Goodnovel! (: 

Thanks for reading (:

Check out The Alpha's Prize on Wattpad now!!

"...I've never had an orgasm before!" I blurt out, backing away a few steps.

He sits up, dark hair ruffled and messy from the fingers I ran through it. His eyes, once wide, slowly darken.

"You what?" He breathes.

~Midika 💜🐼

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57 5 8
I had never fit in anywhere. If you had white hair and freakishly bright silver eyes, that people swear swirls sometimes, that'd be a pretty difficul...
470K 23.3K 65
"Do you remember calling me 'mate?'" he asked softly, pushing her wild curls away from her face. She blushed deeply, but he wouldn't let her look awa...
747K 32.7K 50
*BOOK NINE* (Can be read as standalone) "My Fate is a curse. I didn't ask to be a slave of an immortal. I didn't ask for his branding. And I didn't a...
2.3K 60 29
"Don't get mad at me but I badly wanna do this" "Uhhh.... What are you doing to me?.... I have a girlfriend...... Stop.... P-please....." "Do you rea...