The Twenty Year Triangle

By HeidiCarroll

The past always has a way of coming back around. Finding herself at rock bottom after a tough divorce, Kinse... More

Accolades
Summary
Aesthetics
Bonus! Teen Aesthetics!
Style Boards!
Town Map
Prelude
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty Two
Epilogue - Part One
Epilogue Part Two
Thanks For Reading!!

Chapter Nineteen

187 20 200
By HeidiCarroll

"That guy is something else," Oliver says.

Oliver and I head back out to the porch, each with a glass of whiskey on ice. He plops back down in the chair he was in before, and I sit back on the couch.

"You're telling me?" I laugh humorously. "I am so sorry you had to see all that."

"Don't apologize for him, Kinz."

"I'm apologizing anyway. It was humiliating that you saw all that as if I wasn't embarrassed enough around you already."

"Embarrassed around me?"

"Have you seen you?"

"Seriously?" He questions.

"Uh yeah, seriously. Were you not just at the same meeting as me?"

"Yeah, and so what? That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. We've known each other since we were in diapers. We've been through tantrums, bullies, glasses, braces, and everything else. Hell, we even took baths together."

"And later on, showers." I can't help it. I have to, and I make myself giggle as I say it.

"Kinsey!" He laughs as his cheeks flush red.

"Now, who's embarrassed?" I tease, and he pulls a face at me.

We both laugh and then sip our drinks as silence falls over us.

"I don't get it," Oliver says after a moment.

"What?"

"Julian. He's self-centered, rude, manipulative, and obsessed with money, Oliver rattles off. "What were you doing with a guy like that?"

"He wasn't always like this," I explain to a doubtful-looking Oliver. "Yeah, I know, people always say that, but in this case, really, he wasn't."

"We met in college but only started getting to know each other in our junior year. He was in my dorm and always the one throwing the parties. He was very popular, every girl wanted to date him," I recall. "But unlike all his friends, he didn't date at all. He and I became friends over breakfast at the college cafe one Sunday morning. I'd always go home every weekend, well, almost every weekend, and that weekend I didn't. Instead, I ran into Julian when the rest of the world was asleep, and we sat and talked for hours that day about everything."

Even you... I don't add. I wasn't totally over Oliver when I first met Julian; I was past the depressive, can't go on stage, thanks to Hunter and our summer road trip at eighteen, but I wasn't over it, I was just moving along with my life.  Going through the motions. Talking to an someone outside of the situation did help though at that time. 

"Turns out the reason he didn't see anyone at school is he and his high school sweetheart were attempting long distance," I continue." But they'd just broken it off, and he was feeling down. We ended up chatting every day that week."

I look over to see Oliver listening intently as he sips his drink.

"Is this too weird to talk about?" I ask before I get into the romantic part of it, I figure I better.

"A little, yeah," Oliver admits. "But it's okay; we're in our thirties. Of course, we've had other relationships since each other."

Right... meaning so has he. Maybe even a few? Well, look at him, Kinz; of course, he's had relationships. Has he ever been married? No ring, but that doesn't mean he isn't with someone; he's got to be pretty sought after in New York.

"Go on," Oliver encourages, thankfully pulling me from my scattered thoughts.

"So, after a few weeks, Jules asked me out, it was sort of out of the blue, and I almost said no, but–"

"But...?"

But I kept telling myself I needed to stop waiting for Olly to come home. It was going to be just a date, maybe a few, to finally move on...

"It doesn't matter," I lie. "The point is I did say yes, and that bond we started to form got romantic quickly. Julian was really sweet back then. Was he a little self-centered, yeah, but– at the same time, he had this way of making me feel so special, like I was the only woman in the room. To put it as cheesily as possible, he swept me off my feet, and we were happy Olly- Oliver. We really were back then; he was so different."

"In his goals and stuff or just everything?"

"Everything, he always wanted to be rich. His dad tells this story of coming here from Greece with nothing and making it, and Julian wanted to take that even further and make his family name huge. He wanted to make his entire family proud, and I got that," I sigh sadly. I really did, but he got so lost along the way.

"He also understood my dreams were much simpler, we knew they didn't line up, but we didn't care. In hindsight, maybe we should've called it a college romance and left it there, but we didn't." I take a long and slow sip of the whiskey, enjoying the burn as it slides down my throat. "We got a small apartment after college, and then we got engaged when I brought him home one weekend."

Almost didn't when he first tried to propose in the barn... I don't add.

"It wasn't until that first commission check that I saw him starting to change," I muse. "I was as excited for him as he was; it was huge. What I'd make at the bank job I was working in a month on one check. He loved the money, loved it. He came up with this plan. He'd conquer his job, 1's while he did, we'd get this huge nest egg saved, then later on, we'd move to Sweet Haven. He said he'd help me do what I want here. He stayed up late with me one night and chatted about what the apple butter shop could look like."

"But then the bills started to mount?" Oliver guessed.

"Not right away; he was doing amazing for a while," add. "He was making a ton of money, traveling constantly for work, and was in his element. He was so happy, and I tried to be too. But we were hardly seeing each other, and it was hard. Anytime I voiced it, it was always; I'm putting in the time now, so we have it later. He'd accuse me of guilt-tripping him when he was just trying to support us."

"But you were working too," Oliver protests.

"Not making as much money, though," I say with an eye roll. "That's when he started really spending heavily. And he'd claim it was for us, that we should enjoy the benefits of all his hours. He had a new toy every time he came home from a work trip. At first, he lied and told me it was all commission money and prizes. But he couldn't hide all the credit card debt for long."

"What'd you do when you found out?"

"I wasn't even angry; I was sad. Our plan to start a family when we had a nest egg would never happen with a mountain of debt. I sat there and cried, realizing my dreams could be over. He swore he'd get us out of it; Julian promised he had some big commission checks coming. But that's all it was at the point, empty promises."

I swallow the rest of my drink; reliving all this is stressful.

"The bank fired me when we got behind on our mortgage, "conflict of interest," they said. Julian started using that as leverage against me in arguments. He'd say, if we were both working, I could get us out of this... or, when are you going to find a new job and help me with this? Shit like that, basically trying to shift it to our debts, not his, trying to rewrite the story that me losing my job is what ruined us."

"What an asshole," Oliver mutters as he sips his drink.

"I started to dislike him. My own husband, every time I looked at him, I saw the man that cheated me out of my dreams. I started seeing him as the enemy, but being the stubborn woman I am, I still tried to fix us even though I was miserable. Finally, one day I realized I just couldn't do it anymore."

"Who could blame you?"

"Julian," I laugh dryly. "He acted like he was so blindsided when I told him and granted, I did just spring it on him one night over dinner but come on. He knew I was miserable, and so was he. He knew the love was long gone, but it didn't stop him from placing me as the villain. As far as he sees it, I threw us away."

"What an absolute nightmare, Kinz. I'm really sorry you went through all that."

"Thanks, and also for helping today, too; I honestly didn't think I had another choice but bankruptcy. Do you really think he tried to ruin me on purpose like you said?"

"I don't know if he really was or not but paying off his car, looking up the rule on that seems suspect," Oliver says. "My main point there was to let him know he didn't succeed in getting me on his side. I don't know why he thought he could. I assume he was really hoping to finagle a loan out of this."

"Oh, he for sure was," I agree.

"Kinz, I know you said no, but if you change your mind and need a loan, I will help you, just you, alone. I will not give Julian a dime though. I don't want to help him at all after the way he treated you, but we can figure out a way to pay your share and settle it with him somehow. I know we can." 

I'm touched, and I once again swallow a lump down. "Thanks, Oliver, but I can't take a loan from you, I just can't."

"I get it. If you change your mind at any time, the offer stands. I do want to find a way to separate this debt, so he has what he owes, and you have what you owe. I'd like to untie you from him," Oliver says slowly. "I'm going to see what I can do as far as that goes."

"That would be really amazing," I say. "And even if you can't, getting him to sell his car was huge. You really got under his skin."

"He's hiding something Julian, or his company is," Oliver muses. "The moment I mentioned digging he backed way down. He was telling you he was getting these huge bonuses but racking up credit cards at the same time. That doesn't make sense. He's a liar, and I guarantee his company is doing crooked shit."

"You think?" I question with wide eyes.

"I'm sure of it," Oliver agrees before finishing his drink.

"You want one more?" I ask as our gazes drift up; the sky is getting darker with the threat of a storm.

"I probably should get going before—"

"Kinsey! You here?" A loud yell from Brandi coming from inside interrupts him. "Where are you?"

"Back porch," I call back.

"Girl, I cannot sit in that house one more second," Brandi's voice carries out towards us as she gets closer. "They sent Johnny home with a goddamn recorder."

I hear the kitchen door opening as she continues on. "For the better part of an hour, I've been listening to hot—" She stops as her eyes land on Oliver. "As hell..."

Oliver blushes slightly again as he stands up, "Brandi Benson," he says as a huge grin lights up his whole face. "Is it ever good to see you?"

He's wrapping her up in a huge hug, and she's beaming.

"Olly! My gosh, Olly, it's really you," she's saying as she practically melts into his arms.

I notice he doesn't correct her on his name. A knot forms in my stomach, a familiar one, as I watch them.

It's not really a jealousy thing, well, maybe a little. But, more so, it's just painful to watch them, two old friends, so happy to see each other. After he and I had such a rough reunion. If anyone was gonna make him light up like that, I wish it was me.

It used to be me.

I guess I should be glad we got past that horrible reunion. We're getting along, and it's feeling easier like it used to be.

But— that's because we haven't talked about it yet. That night, him leaving, and the broken promise. All those things are hovering behind this politeness, like the storm clouds above us. Threatening to come down at any moment and drench us in the unhealed wounds of our past.

"Jesus, look at you!" Brandi says as they pull back. "It's illegal to be that hot."

"Oh, Brandi, Knock it off!" Oliver scoffs, but his cheeks are still pink.

"What is this suit you got on? Like damn, Olly."

"It's just Oliver now," he finally corrects her.

"Right, Kinz mentioned that," she says as she looks him up and down. "Full name, designer suit, diamond watch. Fuck, Oliver, you're more daddy than your daddy."

"What does that mean?" He asks as Brandi is handing me a bottle of Rose.

I stand up with it as I laugh. "Trust me, you do not want to know what she means."

"I didn't know he was your dad before I started..." she trails off.

"Started what? You're not sleeping with my dad, are you?" Oliver asks as his face pales.

"No," Brandi assures him.

"Not for lack of trying," I say, and Brandi smacks my arm. "I'll be right back with glasses. Oliver, you want wine or more whiskey?"

"Wine would be great," he replies. "Rose happens to be my favorite."

"And Brandi comes through again!" Brandi chirps as I slip inside.

He was just about to leave. I'm glad he didn't, even if it was Brandi and not me that got him to stay.

***

"I still remember when we got our recorders. I nailed Hot Cross Buns in one afternoon," Oliver brags.

"Tell that to your mom!" I laugh out loud. "She accused us of making her ears bleed."

"Billy threw his at me when I told him he sucked. He got grounded for a week over it," Brandi recalls.

"What's he up to these days?" Oliver asks.

"You'd have to ask the Tennessee state penitentiary," she says, and his eyes widen.

"What'd he do?"

"He was dealing drugs, out of their house with their goddamn kids in it; luckily, they didn't get 'em taken away. His wife, Stephanie, lives with me now in my mom and dad's old place, and I help with their kids, Johnny and Sara."

"Damn," Olly murmurs. "Thought he'd become a big football player."

"He hurt his knee the first year of college, a career-ending injury before it even started."

"That sucks," Oliver says. "I think I actually feel bad for him."

"I did too until the drug dealing shit," Brandi sighs. "Now I'm the father to his kids and husband to his stoner wife, and I didn't ask for that crap. I was happily single and childless and intended to stay that way."

"You'd make such a great husband, though," Oliver jokes, and she makes a face at him.

"Did you ever get married?" Brandi asks Oliver.

Thank you, Brandi. I look towards him as he answers. 

"To my work," he laughs. "Just like my dad, but I'm much worse."

Makes sense, running multi companies doesn't leave much time I suppose, but I wonder why he keeps himself so busy. It can't only be money motivated, sure he dresses well and I'm sure he enjoys other frills too, but I know him, he'd be just as happy without it. Maybe it's the power, he sure is confident now. I want to dig, but I feel like it's too soon to leave this safe conversation bubble we're in. 

"Whatever happened to your dad and Ellen?" I ask instead. "I remember you saying they were so good for each other."

"Things can change fast," Oliver says.

Don't I know that? I don't say, and neither does he.

"So, what happened?" Brandi asks. "She's a dumbass if she left him."

Oliver gives her a look and she just smirks at it. 

"Ellen was so happy for him and the company until it became too much of his life." Oliver explains. "I get that, but instead of talking to him, she grew friendly again with an old boyfriend."

"She cheated on him?" Damn, once again, I feel bad for James; I better make him some apology cookies or something.

"Idiot," Brandi mutters.

"Not physically, no, but emotionally cheating can be just as bad," Oliver says, darting his eyes away as a quiet tension fills the air.

I know he's comparing their situation and ours, but he's wrong. It was totally different. Now isn't the time to get into that, though.  Damn, I tried to keep us in the safe zone with that question too. 

"More wine?" Brandi fills the silence as she grabs the bottle from the end table.

"Please," Oliver says eagerly as he holds out his glass.

Just as she tops him off, a loud crack in the sky nearly makes us all jump, followed by a lightning bolt flashing across the open field.

"Looks like it's gonna hit at any moment," Brandi comments. "You might be stuck with us tonight, Kinz."

"Uh shit, I'm too tipsy to drive, maybe I should call my dad to send someone over for me..." Oliver says.

"Don't you dare! We'll hang out and make a night of it," Brandi says. "Like old times, the better trio."

"Brandi, not that again," I laugh at the old moniker she gave the three of us sophomore year.

"Here it comes!" Oliver warns as the sky opens up. The rain starts pouring hard and fast, we're covered out on the porch, but we still all hurry inside where it's safer.

"Damn! I knew we had a big one coming," Brandi says as another loud crack of thunder rumbles from outside.

"Yeah... it's getting bad," I frown as I grab my phone. "I'm sure Hunter left his job site already, but I better call him and tell not to stop for food, I'd rather he not risk it."

"Your mom always has enough food here to feed an army anyway," Brandi agrees as she tops off her glass.

 I duck out of the kitchen to make the call, and just as I'm about to dial I overhear Oliver mutter, "I'm sure Hunter can handle driving in the rain."

"Be nice," Brandi scolds.

This is going to be an interesting night... 

*Thanks for reading everyone!! Your comments make me so amped, just loving writing this!

*I'll be working on the next one very soon!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47K 2.7K 62
Until a year ago, Kacey's life had always been easy. But when it rains, it pours, and he loses what always seemed a given. A year and a half later, h...
1.1K 31 32
Raven Jocelynna is a fearless twenty-three-year-old woman who mostly stays to herself and doesn't create any kind of drama, she lives a peaceful life...
17K 1.3K 31
Being the daughter of a wealthy businessman has had plenty of perks for Charisma Isles. Having grown up in a stable home with the best of everything...
427 3 50
Between her alcoholic mother, depressed father, and traumatized little sister, Wren's life is falling apart, but her friends are there for her to hel...