Pantheon Book 2: The Way of t...

spiker648 द्वारा

The way the gods operate is broken. Apprentice gods are forced to give up their friends, families, and someti... अधिक

The Verge of War
Newlyweds
Olympian Counsel
The Vote
More than Perfect
Who Cast the First Stone
Guilt
The Gates of Asgard
Family Reunion
Vafthruthnir
No More Secrets
A Game of Riddles
Reunion
Casting Off
Monkey Business
The Heavenly King
Triple Pinky Swear
The True Enemy
Trespassing
Yamata-no-Orochi
The Real Me
Story Time
Worries
The Shinto
Akari's Decision
Marcus's Wager
Peace Offering
A Terrible Plan
Calm Before the Storm
Twin Oni
A Clash of Ideals
Blind Faith
The Great Sage
The Sun Rises
Heart to Heart
The Next Stop
Sad Farewells
Setting Sail
Battle Plan
The Strongest Magic
Training
A Distraction
The Monkey King
The Jade Emperor
Hypocrisy
Remember Me
Words on a Page
A New Mission

Freedom

2 1 0
spiker648 द्वारा

        Melody grips Marcus's fur, staring at the mountain looming ahead. Wozhang Shan sits silhouetted against the setting sun like a giant monster. At its peak is the Jade Palace. And lurking somewhere at its base is Sun Wukong.

Melody had wanted to spend the day training with Koji and Oliver to hone her skills as much as possible before their confrontation. But Emelia advised against it, saying they'll need their rest if they want to beat him. So, for the last ten hours since taking flight, Melody's had time to think things through. And in that time, she realized something.

"Keep an eye out, I'm sure that monkey jerk is going to be around here somewhere," Marcus rumbles under her. Koji visibly stiffens, curling his hands into fists. The Oliver clone carrying Emelia shivers as the original whimpers. Melody sucks in a deep breath, deciding it's now or never.

"You guys trust my judgement, right?" She says carefully. Emelia lets out a humorless laugh, her eyes flashing around the ground below them.

"We wouldn't be here if we didn't," she says. Melody nods, taking another breath to slow her racing heart.

"Then...I want to find Sun before going up the mountain," she declares. Koji nearly falls out of the air. Oliver's clone fizzles, just managing to hold its form to keep from dropping Emelia. Marcus rumbles darkly, showing his disdain. She's not surprised by any of their responses. "I want to talk to him about some things," Melody adds in the following silence.

"I don't think that's a good idea," Emelia says, shaking her head. "He won't let us past either way, and we need the element of surprise."

"W-we could still try sneaking around him," Oliver adds, hanging his head. He grips Caduceus tightly, the staff glowing weakly between his fingers. Melody's eyes sink. Of course, they wouldn't agree.

"...I'm not saying it's a good idea, but if you think it will work, then let's do it," Marcus says. He lifts his feline head, glaring at the mountain. "If you can get him on our side, we're pretty much set."

"Get him on our side?" Emelia echoes skeptically. "No offence Mel, but I don't see that happening."

"Me neither," Melody agrees. "But maybe I can convince him to let us pass. It's worth a shot, isn't it?" Everyone falls silent again, considering her words. Marcus is the first to break the long silence.

"How about this, then? If he shows up, we'll try talking first," he says. "But let's not go looking for him."

"I guess that would still work for the plan," Emelia adds with a thoughtful hum. "But what if he doesn't listen? We need to be ready in case he attacks."

"Oh, I'm ready," Marcus growls, baring his teeth. "If he tries anything funny, then he'll have to deal with me." Melody smiles, stroking his neck affectionately.

"Is that meant to be a threat?" The Monkey King says, making Melody jump. She whips around, seeing him floating next to her. He's lounging on what looks like a cloud, leaning back on his arms with his legs crossed. "I'm almost tempted to try something and see what happens."

"Oh, you'll see," Marcus snarls, swooping in a wide arc to face him. Koji spins in place, the wind around the group picking up. Emelia conjures her glowing bow, and Oliver's clone awkwardly shifts to stay out of her way when she notches an arrow. Melody lifts her head, doing her best to look official.

"Guys, please wait!" She yells, holding her hands out to her friends. She looks at each of them quickly, then focuses on her opponent. "Sun, can't we just talk?"

"Sure, I don't mind," Sun says with an overdramatic shrug. "I mean, I'll be taking the treaty and dragging you back to the Jade Emperor either way, so I don't care how it happens." He suddenly grins, his eyes sharp and dangerous. "Land," he commands, leaving no room for argument. Oliver and Koji look to Melody for instructions.

"Listen to him," she says, touching Marcus's neck to call him off. He growls at Sun, who grins back at him victoriously. Emelia doesn't move as Oliver lowers to the ground, keeping her aim on Sun. Koji lands first, and after one more reassuring pat from Melody, Marcus lands last. Melody climbs off of him, and he returns to human form, stepping in front of her defensively. Sun laughs, hopping off the cloud and clapping his hands.

"You know, you're my favorite! It's almost like you actually think you can hurt me," he giggles. Marcus hisses, flicking his wrists to make his daggers form.

"Why don't we give it a try?" He rumbles. Melody grabs his arm to hold him back.

"Please, let me talk to him," she says, slowly stepping to the front of the group. A long shadow hangs over them as the sun sinks behind the mountain. A gentle breeze blows through the sparse trees, making Melody shiver. Even knowing that the Jade Emperor is sitting atop the mountain waiting for them, she can't help but feel like this is the final battle. If she doesn't convince Sun Wukong to let them pass, then no matter what the Jade Emperor says, they won't succeed.

She takes in Sun's appearance, sizing him up. Gone are the monkey pattern pajamas, replaced by a pair of baggy black pants. The ankles are wrapped in thick bandages, with pointed shoes decorated with red and gold. His arms are bare but wrapped by half a dozen golden bands each. His chest is covered by a thick plate of black armor, a golden dragon painted across it. He has a dark red scarf poking out from a black bandana around his neck. On his head, his hair is nearly trimmed and styled, kept in place by a red band that hangs back like a ponytail.

"So, this was just a plan to buy some time?" Sun says when the silence drags on. He crosses his arms, cocking his head to the side. "And here I thought you would be a bit more creative than that."

"T-that's not it!" Melody snaps, reigning in her nerves a moment later. She breathes deeply through her mouth, taking a few seconds to let it out through her nose before speaking. "I wanted to ask you something." Sun raises an eyebrow, tapping his foot.

"Sure, I'm game. What little plan did you concoct?" He giggles with a grin. Melody ignores his taunts, pressing on with her question.

"Why did you help us?" She says, taking another step away from her group. She hears Marcus shadow her, but she doesn't look away from Sun. "You kept appearing to me and telling us who the Jade Emperor was sending. You even told us how to beat them."

"Oh, is that it? How boring," Sun says, waving his hand dismissively. "I thought you would have figured it out by now." Again, Melody ignores his mocking tone.

"You kept saying you had your own goals. Then you said you wanted freedom. But how does helping us do that?" She asks, planting her feet to stand her ground. Sun sighs, shaking his head.

"Fine, I'll explain my master plan. But even though everything I do is amazing, this one was pretty simple," he says with a chuckle. He lifts his head, looking down his nose as his eyes flick across the group. "See, technically speaking, I'm the same thing as what your Pantheons would call a monster. I've had to rinse and repeat the same legends over and over again for the last few millennia. The catch is, unlike your monsters, I can't be killed." His gaze shifts to Marcus, and Sun giggles at his glare. "You should have someone similar, right? You just recently had to deal with him."

"Fenrir," Marcus confirms, narrowing his eyes.

"Right! And remind me, what is it you do with that one when he's not needed?" Sun replies, cupping his ear and leaning forward. "Anyone? Anyone?"

"Seal him," Melody breathes, her eyes sinking to the ground. "You were sealed?"

"Bingo. For 1000 years at a time," Sun says with a nod. "Whenever they're done with me, the Jade Emperor calls the Buddha to seal me up like he did in the old legends. At first, I was mad about it - but honestly, at this point, I'm just bored." He throws his arms up, blowing through his lips. "Whenever I'm released, they put some dumb crown on me to keep me in line. Then they drop a mountain on me and forget I exist until the next generation comes along."

"Then how were you appearing to Mel?" Emelia says, stepping up to Melody's side. She still has her bow formed, but she keeps it lowered for now. Oliver moves to stop her, but instead squares his shoulders, lifting his head to mimic Marcus's confidence.

"Last time I was sealed, I figured I'd have some fun. Do you know how boring it is, sitting under a rock for so long? Do you know how stiff it makes your back? How hard it is to scratch when you get itchy?" He itches his nose as proof, then throws his hands up. "So, I made a clone before Buddha showed up and sent it far away. Nobody noticed, and when I was sealed, it was free to do what I wanted."

"Why not just have the clone sealed?" Marcus spits. "Then you wouldn't have to go through all this."

"Right, because the almighty Buddha would be tricked by a clone," Sun chuckles, shaking his head. "You're entertaining, but pretty dumb." Melody has to throw her arms out to keep Marcus from charging.

"So why are you trying to get released now?" Melody says as she holds Marcus back. "If you had a clone out in the world, couldn't you live through that?" Sun sighs, crossing his arms with a huff.

"Sure, I could have - and did. But, as I'm sure those two will tell you-" He points at Oliver and Marcus with his chin. "-it's not the same. I could still feel the mountain pressing down on me, crushing me. I couldn't move. I couldn't breathe. And I couldn't undo the seal myself, because it was made with the Buddha's power. So, I needed a little help." He grins, and Melody tenses under his dark gaze. "Then you gave me my chance."

"I heard about the rebellion and decided to go see what all the fuss was about. It was kind of boring to watch, but seeing the Jade Emperor freak out about it was the most fun I had in centuries. Not to mention, it gave me an idea." He gestures at himself, swaying his hips rhythmically. "If just the idea of a rebellion was enough to make him sweat, imagine what would happen if a new treaty were formed. He wouldn't just be nervous - he'd be scared. And that's exactly what I needed."

"You helped us beat his lackeys so he'd get desperate enough to free you," Marcus says, his voice dripping with venom. "That about cover the rest?"

"Pretty much," Sun sings, flashing a wide grin. "And here I am! He was desperate enough to accept my demands without question, so long as I bring you lot back to face his wrath."

"And what were your demands?" Emelia says. Sun giggles evilly, hopping into the air. A small cloud appears under him with a puff, and he crosses his legs as he lands on it. His tail sways back and forth, a golden ring sitting near the tip.

"Well, the first was that I would be freed from my imprisonment. And that the Jade Emperor wouldn't have me sealed for at least 800 years," he hums, tapping his thick lips. "Oh, and that he couldn't use that cursed headband on me. What's the point of freedom if they keep me on a leash!"

"He actually agreed to all that!?" Oliver yelps, his eyes wide. Sun giggles darkly, lifting his head high.

"Of course. Do you realize how terrified he is of you guys? You're basically trying to end the world, as far as he's concerned!" Sun giggles, resting his elbows on his knees as he leans forward. "He wants you stopped no matter what. And now that you've pushed him so this far, he wants to see you punished, too." Melody can't help but shiver at the delight in his tone.

"So, what are you going to do now that you're free?" She says carefully. Sun hums, rolling onto his back.

"Well, all the stuff I promised him, for one. After that...probably go back to my home," he says, throwing his arms and legs out. He stares at the sky, the ghost of a smile forming on his lips. "It's been so long since I've been allowed to return. I want to go to my people, throw a festival, eat peaches while lounging under the waterfall." He sighs to himself, squeezing his eyes shut.

"Y-you want to go home?" Oliver whimpers, inching forward. "But you could do anything - ravage villages, attack mortals-"

"Don't want to," Sun says, waving his hand dismissively. "I know history likes to paint me as one of the bad guys, but I'm not. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely a troublemaker - I love messing with the prudes up in Heaven, especially the Jade Emperor. But quite frankly, prisoner would be a more accurate title," he grunts, opening his eyes. Melody can't help but frown, seeing the sadness in them. Thousands of years of pain and loneliness.

"Why don't you go back now, then?" She says, her heart swelling with hope. "We're going to see the Jade Emperor anyway, so you can leave and-"

"Nnnnope," Sun chimes, pitching himself forward. He rolls off the cloud, landing on his feet. "Sorry kiddo, but I already told you how this ends." He folds his hands behind his head, leaning against his palms. "You've been a big help, and I guess there is a tiny part of me that wishes I could just let you go. But I made a deal." He lets out a slow breath, and Melody feels the air shift.

A pressure falls onto her, and she recognizes it instantly. Magic. More magic than she's ever felt before. She gasps for breath, her heart hammering against her ribs. The power threatens to consume her, swallow her whole. She quickly draws on her godly power, but even that does little to keep her from trembling.

"This is your last chance to give up," Sun warns, extending his hand. "Give me the treaty and come quietly." Melody's body twitches, and she feels herself start to hyperventilate. Legends are one thing. It's easy to read about someone and be told they're an unstoppable force of nature. But now, standing face to face with the great Sun Wukong, his power beating against her like a hurricane, she can't find the strength to fight.

"Never," Marcus growls, patting Melody's shoulder. At his touch she gasps, filling her burning lungs. He steps past her, and Emelia moves to follow, raising her bow. Sun giggles, flexing his fingers.

"Alright, you asked for it," he says gleefully. He digs into his pocket, pulling out what looks like a toothpick. He tosses it into the air, and it grows, expanding into a bow staff. He snatches it out of the air, twirling it in his fingers expertly. Oliver grabs Melody's arms, dragging her back with him as Koji floats into the air, carried by the wind. Clouds form in the sky, blocking out the last rays of sunlight shining over the mountain.

"Remember the plan," Oliver whispers, his hands trembling. Melody stares, wide-eyed, as Sun rests his weapon over his shoulders, hanging his hands over it limply.

"So," he hums, showing his pointed teeth. "Who's first?"

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

44.7K 1.1K 38
When she walked into the party; Celeste never to expect to meet her soulmate, the one with ocean blue eyes that haunt her dreams. But another haunts...
Teenage Life Crisis _Diego_112903 द्वारा

किशोर उपन्यास

950 33 30
This eBook is PG-13. Mature content added. Zeus' children always made fun of him and it totally made him mad, but his wives told him that they were j...
302K 10.9K 29
This whole soulmate thing was stupid for (y/n), she didn't have much hope for love in her life. But that all changes as a certain "reindeer drag quee...
394K 13.6K 42
a/n: I will begin to edit 'Zeus' at some point, but updates will be slow as I am a student in my final year of university. I hope you'll enjoy the re...