✓ 𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐄𝐌𝐌𝐀 𝐅𝐀𝐋𝐋�...

Oleh clarabxnksie

❛ when emma falls in love, she's in it for keeps, she won't walk away unless she knows she absolutely has to... Lebih Banyak

𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐄𝐌𝐌𝐀 𝐅𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐒 𝐈𝐍 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄
·౨ৎ· playlist
·౨ৎ· aesthetics
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐈: 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐘 𝐃𝐔𝐂𝐊𝐒 𝐃𝟏
01 | the paper bag princess
02 | siegfried and odette
03 | take the fall, get hurt, act indignant!
04 | the losers club
05 | the little girl and the sea
06 | flipped
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐈𝐈: 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐘 𝐃𝐔𝐂𝐊𝐒 𝐃𝟐
07 | sweet tea in the summer
08 | get in, loser, we're going to L.A.!
09 | it's okay to be a mess
10 | ice cream with iceland
11 | three words, eight letters, [say it, and i'm yours]
12 | knucklepuck time
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐈𝐈𝐈: 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐘 𝐃𝐔𝐂𝐊𝐒 𝐃𝟑
13 | captain ducky
14 | hit that girl with a door, smack!
15 | and someone tells you they love you...
16 | the great war
17 | nobody's perfect
18 | bless you, calvin klein
20 | tap tap tap [in, buckle up, get strapped in.]

19 | bend and snap!

942 21 11
Oleh clarabxnksie

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜
chapter nineteen: bend and snap!

tw(s): tom riley

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

"WOULD YOU MIND checking the messages for me while I'm at the grocery store, Em?" her mother asks, stuffing a notepad in her purse. "I'm waiting on a call from Ducksworth."

"Sure, no problem!" Emma says, sprinting down the stairs.

"Thank you, dear."

Emma sits at the couch, listening to the messages, when there's a click and the sound of an achingly familiar voice.

"Guess what? It's Portman, bitches!" the crackly voice announces. "Anyway, Emma, I thought I'd pop in and say hi and tell you to stock up on that chocolate cake because I'm- okay, Mom, I'm getting off now, relax!"

Wait, was Portman coming to town? Is that what he was going to say?

Emma stays frozen in place for a second before clearing her head and moving on to the next message.

"Emmaline? Word around the street is that you and Charlie Conway are back together! Call me immediately," Julie's voice says.

The phone rings twice before Julie picks up.

"Emmy!"

"Julie! So, yeah, I took him back."

"Oh, ew. Is there a good reason?"

"Yes, Julie! There is a good reason. He said he was sorry, and he did a really nice gesture. I think he'll be better this time around."

"Alright. Good thing you called me. I'm currently in front of his apartment with a murder weapon and a solid plan. But I guess I'll ditch."

"Julie! Wait...really?"

"No! You really thought? Anyways, I have to go if I want to catch the game bus. You should, too."

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

"Hart. Fulton." Charlie steps onto the bus, and Orion does a double-take.

"Conway?"

"I want to be on the team, Coach," Charlie says earnestly. "I want to play two-way hockey. Can I come back?"

"Take a seat, we're running late," Orion says. His eyes are almost smiling. "Let's go! We've got a game to catch."

Charlie catches Emma's eye as she slips into the open seat next to Julie, and she smiles at him and nods.

Julie pokes Emma in the shoulder when she spots Dean Buckley exchanging hushed words with Orion.

"Coach, you mind if I have a few words with your boys?"

"And girls," Julie points out.

"Yes, of course. And girls," Dean Buckley says.

"If you can make it quick, Dean. We're running late as it is," Coach Orion says firmly.

"I'm afraid that this is important. We have a board meeting scheduled tomorrow, and...well, you all are on the agenda. We have to think long-term here. What's in your best interest. Hard as it is for me personally, because you kids have been a breath of fresh air around here, the board is going to approve the withdrawal of your scholarships."

A flood of panic rises in Emma's chest as her head jerks towards Connie, who has wide eyes.

Dean Buckley continues. "Now, you'll be welcome to stay through the end of the semester, but after that, it will be necessary for you to enjoy other educational opportunities."

She had to give it to Dean Buckley. He was delivering this bad news extraordinarily well.

"Dean, I need a word with you," Orion says.

"I think I've said all I need to say."

"No. Now."

"'Other educational opportunities?' What's he saying?" Dwayne asks, leaning his chin over the seat.

"He's saying that Halfwit Riley's kicking our asses out. That's what he's saying," Emma informs him, crossing her arms over her stomach.

"Oh, I see."

The team crowds to the front of the bus to see what Buckley and Orion are saying. Emma crouches on her knees and Charlie rests his chin on the top of her head. Russ sits in front of Emma on the steps of the bus.

"So that's it? You're dumping 'em, just like that?"

"Coach, I'm sorry. Your team isn't performing, and I've been under enormous pressure," Buckley says desperately.

"From whom? The alumni group? A bunch of aging pep clubbers?"

He's starting to sound a bit like Jesse, Emma thinks fondly.

"Ted, I'm trying to do you a favor. With these kids gone, you'll get to pick your own team. Let's face it, the Ducks are drowning," Orion says, gesturing towards the bus.

"This guy's got some nerve, insulting us when we're right here," Averman says to Emma, shaking his head.

"I got my team. Either they stay or I go," Orion bargains.

No, Coach. This isn't going to go well for you.

Schools like Eden Hall couldn't care less about their staff. Sure, some of them are very distinguished, but most are still considered expendable. They could find a new coach within two seconds of Orion's resignation.

"We'll miss you, Ted," Buckley says, patting his shoulder.

After Buckley leaves, the Ducks file out of the bus.

"We're just pawns," Averman says. "Puppets for the stage show, jesters to entertain the king, barnacles on the bottom of..."

"Shut up!" Russ says, putting up a hand to halt Averman.

"Coach, is this legal?" Goldberg asks. "I mean, don't we have contracts or something?"

"I don't know what it is," Orion says, looking into the distance. "All I know is that we're gonna fight it."

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

"Do I have a motion for reconsideration?" Orion asks.

The Ducks are standing in a conference hall, with mahogany walls and stained glass windows painted with age and prestige. Several board members line the table, all with sleek hair and white beards. The Ducks are in their fanciest attire for this occasion. Emma is wearing a velvet cardigan, a black cap-sleeve dress, and ballet flats.

Varsity stands with their towering figures at the other side of the room, their backs straight and their stares piercing. Rick tilts his chin up smugly.

"I'm sorry, Coach," Buckley says. "But unless there is a motion from a board member and a second, the decision must stand."

"Well, you give us no choice but to bring in our attorneys," Orion says.

Attorneys, plural? I wasn't aware of this.

Emma lets out a small gasp when Bombay and her mother walk through the double doors. Her mother is wearing her highest heels, her reddest Balmain skirt suit, and her sharpest eyeliner.

"Abigail Hart? But you're my-" Tom Riley starts.

"Your attorney? Well, foolish of you to think, Thomas, that I should defend you against my own child. Please. Your attorney. Ridiculous," Abigail mutters, smoothing her skirt down.

"That's your mom?" Luis whispers. "She's, like, hot."

Emma brings her heel of her foot down harshly on the tip of Luis's shoe, causing him to groan out in pain.

"Dean Buckley, members of the board," Bombay addresses.

"As counsel for Coach Orion and the freshman hockey team, we're here to set forth your legal options so that you may make the best possible decision for all parties concerned," Abigail says, following Bombay to the head of the room.

"Mrs. Hart, this isn't a legal proceeding," Buckley says.

"It's Ms. Hart. And not yet, but I can assure you it will be."

Bombay pulls out a leather folder from his briefcase.

"These scholarships-" he starts, before Abigail snatches the folder from his hands and flips it open.

"Gail, please, just trust me on this," Bombay says through his teeth.

"I trusted you with my daughter's hockey experience while you were under suspension for drunk driving, so do not try me, Gordie. I know about your little road trip on the ice while the children were in the car," Abigail hisses.

"You- what? How? That was ages ago!"

"Connections, Gordie. I brunch with Casey Conway every Sunday. Yes, your ex-girlfriend. I know everything about you, Casanova," Abigail whispers before clearing her throat. "Now, these scholarships, Dean, became a binding contract upon the signatures of the recipients. They cannot be voided except for cause, which, I guarantee you, you have none. Should you decide to pursue cancellation, I will slap you with an injunction."

"We will tie up this matter in court for years, until long after these kids have gone on to college. And we will collect damages," Bombay announces.

"And we will win," Abigail says smugly, locking eyes with Tom Riley. "Because I am very, very skilled at my job. You would know, Tom, with everything I've gotten you out of."

Emma shares a look with her mom that says, Really? Do tell. Abigail winks in a way that says, When we get home.

"And you know why I'm so good?" Bombay says, reeling over the fact that Abigail keeps saying I and not we, as if this case is her own. "Because I had a good education. You gave it to me. And you're gonna give it to these kids."

"Now, some of you may be snobbish enough to believe that these Ducks don't belong at Eden Hall," Bombay continues, as Abigail mouths, Most of you, actually. "Let me tell you, you are dead wrong. These are remarkable young people. You give them their full shot, and I promise you, they will succeed, not only on the ice, but in the classrooms as well. These people are my friends, and I know what they can do."

"Accordingly," Abigail cuts in. "I demand that you reinstate their scholarships for their benefit and for your own.

There is silence and some murmurs for a moment, before a woman speaks. "I move that the scholarships be reinstated."

"Is there a second?" Buckley asks. "All in favor?"

All of the board members tiredly raise their hands, and Emma smiles in excitement at her mom.

"Scholarships reinstated."

"Yes!"

Bombay shakes Abigail's hand. "You know, Gail, we should work together more often. You're a good lawyer."

"Yes, a good lawyer with responsible drinking habits. I'm the whole package," Abigail says.

"You're never going to let me live that down, are you?"

Emma trails behind Charlie, when Bombay mentions something about business in Chicago.

Chicago. Chicago. Does this have anything to do with Portman and his cryptic message?

"Congratulations," Rick says, stepping in front of the Ducks with his Varsity teammates. "In destroying our school."

"Hey, look it's our school, too," Kenny says.

"No, it'll never be your school. Don't you get it? You're our own little affirmative action, brought in for color to entertain us. But you couldn't even do that."

"Your little brother didn't seem that entertained last time I saw him," Emma snorts.

"Look, your fancy lawyer kept you in on a technicality, but you'll never belong."

Abigail steps in behind Rick. "Their fancy lawyer says to steer clear of her family and her daughter's friends."

"I- oh- Abigail," Rick says, sticking his hands in his pockets.

"Haha. That's Ms. Hart to you."

A pause.

"Well? Vamanos, let's go, Richard! Don't you have a yacht party to be at?" Abigail barks, waving him away.

"Can your mom adopt me?" Russ asks, laughing.

After Rick and his goons leave, the crowd disperses, but Adam catches Emma's arm.

"Hey. I haven't seen you in a while."

"Yeah. It's good to have you back, Banksie," Emma says.

"Hey, I noticed something. When you guys froze all our jackets, I noticed mine wasn't there. Actually, it was in the bag of gear I asked you to get me the day it happened, and I don't remember putting my jacket in there. Did you have something to do with that?" Adam asks with a knowing grin.

"Maybe, maybe not."

"Yeah, sure. I'll catch you later, Hart."

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

CLARA'S CORNER

ABIGAIL HART BEING A QUEEN. i figured since she's a lawyer it would make sense for her to be in this scene. also, casnova is a perfect nickname for bombay because what's up with all his girlfriends? first, casey conway, even though there's still a ton of tension between them. then, his team's TUTOR, and then nothing became of that...like, damn, bombay.

and oh my gosh, the return of DEAN PORTMAN?? we've got a ton to unpack.

also thank you so much for 1k reads. you have no idea how much it means to me just to have that many.

comment if you can because i love reading them <33

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

44.7K 531 20
Y/n y/l/n from Sydney, Australia goes to play hockey with team USA further known as the ducks. What happens when she catches the eye of a particular...
294K 5.6K 41
❝ this boy basically pledged he'd never stop caring about you when he was ten years old ❞ -- in which november finds herself at struggling to...
78.3K 2K 54
𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 adam banks gets sent to a hockey academy and meets a girl. 'hold onto the memories, they will hold onto you' book 1/1 fem!oc x ad...
21.2K 134 10
Lyla Mitchell is just your typical hockey player, except that she is a child prodigy playing for one of the best teams in Minnesota, the hawks. She i...