SONDER

By kenophobic

❝THE REALIZATION THAT EACH RANDOM PASSERBY IS LIVING A LIFE AS VIVID AND COMPLEX AS YOUR OWN.❞ More

𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑
𝘰𝘯𝘦
𝘵𝘸𝘰
𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦
𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘳
𝘧𝘪𝘷𝘦
𝘴𝘪𝘹
𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯
𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵
𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘦
𝘵𝘦𝘯
𝘦𝘭𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯
𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘭𝘷𝘦
𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯
𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯
𝘧𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯
𝘴𝘪𝘹𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯
𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯
𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯
𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯
𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺
PART II
𝐨𝐧𝐞
𝐭𝐰𝐨
𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞
𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫
𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞
𝐬𝐢𝐱
𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧
𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭
𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞
𝐭𝐞𝐧
𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞
𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧
𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧
𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧
𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧
𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧
𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧
𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲

𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

1K 86 118
By kenophobic

SEASON TWO, EPISODE EIGHTEEN:
HOW TO SAVE A LIFE

"Good morning," Aniyah says with a smile, jumping off of the last two steps and waltzing into the kitchen where her brothers were eating. "Graduation is in two weeks, you ready, Khi?"

"He better be, I damn near thought the nigga wouldn't do it."

"Man," Mekhi smacks his lips at his brothers smart remark. "You on my dick."

"I'm ready. I feel like I'm graduating, too." She sits in the chair next to him.

"Well, you ain't. So don't try to steal my shine."

"Whatever." She waves him off, still housing a huge smile on her face.

"What's up with you? Why you so happy?" Tee asks, leaning against the counter eating a bowl of Cap'n Crunch cereal.

"I just have a really good feeling about today." She says. "I'm going over Venus' house later on and then I'm gonna surprise Amaru at work with some flowers and food, and then I'm going to come home and finish my shirt for the graduation."

"Seems like you have a full schedule, why today?"

"I just told you." She grabs Mekhi's cup and takes a sip of his juice. "I have a really good feeling about today."

"Mm." Tee nods. "I hope you have a good day then, it's always good to see you in a good mood. Especially after what happened the other day."

"I don't care anymore, he doesn't deserve any more of my time nor does he deserve of my energy being used up on him."

"That's good, I'm proud of you."

"Thanks," She stands up. "I'm about to go get ready so that I can go with Venus but I will see y'all later and also, Mekhi, I need you to tell me if you like the shirt or not because if not I won't wear it to the graduation and make a fool of myself."

"Got you." He says, still devouring his breakfast food. "Just go get ready."

•••

"I'm so glad we got invited to this damn skate party, I was not trying to sit around and watch movies with you all day like we're in a relationship," Venus side eyes Aniyah as she puts her Dior lip oil. "No shade though, friend."

"None taken." Aniyah says sarcastically, going to her messages to see if Amaru had texted back.

He hadn't.

"They got him in that shop cutting the hell out of some hair." She mumbles, tossing her phone back on the bed. "Are people drinking tonight? Unless you don't know."

"Shittt," Venus drags out. "Probably. It would only surprise me if they didn't."

"I should invite Mekhi." Aniyah suggests. "It's his last week as a high schooler, so after this he really can't come to any parties afterward or it'll be weird."

"Uh," She closes the lip oil. "No seniors at this one, boo. It'll still be weird if he comes, just vibe."

Aniyah shrugs her shoulders. "Alright."

The two had finished getting ready before they headed out and made their way to the skate party that was usually held on the last Friday of the school year, which would be today. Aniyah had never been due to the fact that no one ever wanted her at the events, so she was a little nervous and didn't really know what to expect, but she was also excited.

She wanted Amaru to come because she felt it would calm her down, but he wasn't a party person, so she wasn't surprised at him not coming. When she mentioned it to him this morning, he didn't reply. She didn't understand that part due to the fact that he could've simply declined and she would've been okay with that as well.

No response at all was just rude.

The ride from Venus' house to the skating rink was around thirty minutes, but due to the fact that Venus drove like she was insane, the ride was only around twenty minutes. It wasn't a huge difference, but anything was better than half an hour.

Getting out of the car, Whoop Dat was the only thing that you could hear due to how loud the music was playing inside of the rink.

"Cleveland niggas know if they don't know no other song, they know this one." Venus mumbled. "Salome is here, I think Leila is, too."

"Oh." Aniyah kept it short.

"What?"

"Leila don't like me."

"Why?"

Aniyah shrugged her shoulders, pretending she didn't know. She knew why, though. It likely had something to do with her connection to Mekhi and Leila's connection to Saida.

"I'on know, I was just telling you because I didn't know y'all were still friends and I'on wanna make it awkward and be standing around while not being liked."

"You worry too much. If she starts doing too much then we can go hang out with other people. Not hanging around Leila isn't really much of an L, at least not on my behalf."

"Oh.." She nods, checking her phone once more for a text from her boyfriend. Annoyed with not hearing from him all day, she decided on sending him a text.

did i do something to you?? Aniyah.

"You good?" Venus asks, Aniyah nods her head, not wanting anyone in her business.

"Yeah."

"Cool."

The two then make their way towards the long line of people who were waiting to get inside the party. "Bruh," Venus sighs. "This is what pisses me off."

"Not sure what you expect-"

"Yooo!" The sudden catcalling making it hard for the two to carry on their conversation.

"Oh my God." Aniyah mumbles.

"Just don't look."

"As if niggas have ever taken the hint."

"Wassup with y'all? I'm Key," The darker skinned boy asked, standing closer to Aniyah. Her face scrunching up immediately at the vape and Black and Mild in his hand.

Yuck.

"Not much." She kept it short and simple, hoping they'd walk away after.

"You look good." The lighter one said to Venus. "What yo' name is?"

"I like girls." Venus said. "Sorry."

It was her first time saying it out loud, so it caught even her off guard.

"And you?" Key asked Aniyah. "You gay, too?"

"No, but I do have a boyfriend..so."

"Ohhhh!" He drags out, taking a puff from his vape. "You Amaru chick, ain't you?"

"Yeah, and it would be appreciated if you'd walk away."

"You can't have friends?"

"I can, but you're not a friend I want to have..so..."

Key smacks his lips at her response. "We can be a different type of friends then if you want,"

"What part of you aren't a friend that I want to have do you not quite understand?" She asks him, slight attitude in her tone this time.

"You can drop the 'tude bitch, I just wanna fuck you ain't gotta overdo it."

"Okayyy and I gave you the hint that you weren't going to so how about that?" She tilts her head to the side. "You have a raspberry vape and a joint in your hand right now. As a man. Fix that."

"Bum ass bitch, shut up."

"Okay, so now what.."

The boy didn't respond to her at all, instead he just nudged his friend and the two walked off to another group of girls to bother them with the same nonsense they tried bothering Aniyah and Venus with.

"What's wrong? You seem tense." Venus leans into her friend, whispering so no one could hear the conversation.

"Amaru won't text me back and it's pissing me off because he isn't distant." Aniyah stresses, she tried to ignore it but she couldn't shake the eerie feeling she had.

"You said he was at work, right?"

"Mhm," She hums. "I was supposed to go over there earlier today but it completely slipped my mind."

"It's only five, I can take you to the shop around eight if you really want to go. I don't really mind it." Venus shrugs her shoulders, digging through her purse and grabbing a balled up ten dollar bill.

"I thought girls got in free before five thirty?"

"It's five forty-five, girl. Get serious."

"My face card declining or something?" Aniyah fixes her hair a little. "I can make a little something-something work."

"Maybe back when you were giving blowjobs for Hot Fries during lunch that face card would've worked, but you're in a relationship now and niggas know that throat is out of business, so they don't give a damn about that face card anymore. Trust."

"Girl," She rolls her eyes at Venus' comment. "Please."

The two waited in line for another fifteen minutes before finally being let in to the party, which was packed. There were people at every wall, backs to back.

"Smells crazy in here, no bullshit." Venus mutters. "Like raw onions or something."

"Raw onions and mid weed." Aniyah replies. "You skating?"

"No, I'm just here to sit around and look good."

•••

"I'm gonna be right here when you're ready. No rush or anything, but, like, I'm rushing. Salome wants me to come over later so you can't be all night. Kiss your man and come out. That's all we have time for."

Her slick comments made me roll my eyes as I got out of her car, shutting the door behind me. I fixed my bag on my shoulder and made my way into the packed barbershop, my eyes looking everywhere trying to spot Amaru.

Instead of him, my eyes found his uncle Andre. "Oh, Andre!"

"Don't come up in here all happy to see me," He looks at me with a slight side eye.

"I'm happy because I get to see my man, where is he? In the back?" I look around once more not seeing him. "It's busy, I know he ain't taking a break."

"Yo' man ain't come in today. I was gone ask you if you seen his ass. I been blowing that damn phone up all day with no response."

"I've been calling him all day, too.." A weird feeling now seeming to sneak up on me, but I brushed it off not knowing what exactly was causing it.

"Shit, maybe the nigga's phone blew up." Andre shakes his head.

I scratch my arm nervously. "You think it's anything else?"

"Lost the charger, maybe? I'on know. It's unlike him to be dodging everybody's calls and shit. That lil' nigga is always on his P's and Q's, so I can't even tell you."

"Hm." I suck my teeth. "I'll stop over there and let you know."

"Alright, thanks lil' Mar."

I let out a nervous chuckle at the nickname I had gotten from all of the old heads in the shop before making my way out and going to Venus' car, putting my seatbelt on immediately.

"Car ain't even in drive yet and the seatbelt already on. Alright bitch, I see how it is."

"Shut up," I laugh a little. "Um...I have a question?"

"What is it?" She asks, putting the car in drive and preparing to pull off. "And that was fast, was Amaru in there?"

"Actually, that's what the favor is about. Can you take me by their house?" I ask, looking at the time. "I know you have to go to Salome's so it's fine if you can't."

"Girl, I hate being the only friend with a car sometimes." She pulls off. "I got you though, boo. Your man is my man so this is really-"

"Don't finish that sentence. I'on play about my man. Better joke about his brother or something, I don't know." I glare at her as we both share a laugh. "But for real, you and Salome talk again?"

"We do something. We're friends as of right now, we just enjoy flirting a bit here and there. Nothing serious."

"Right, right," I nod. "So, earlier you said you were gay. You're accepting it or are you in denial? Or are you bi? Because we can't leave that out."

"Eh, I think I'm a lesbian. I don't have that attraction to these weak ass niggas anymore, girl."

"Aw! Oh my goodness, pride month is next month! I gotta get you so much rainbow decor girl, you won't know what to do."

"I'll block you and consider it a hate crime, so don't push it."

Our ride to Amaru's house was short because of how close he lived to the shop, but when we arrived I couldn't help but notice Cameron's car being the only one in the driveway. "Hm."

I get out of the car and quickly go to the door, knocking on it multiple times. After not responding to the knocks, I went on to ringing the doorbell. I stood in front of the door for another five minutes trying again before going around to the side of the house and trying to peek through Amaru's window.

Nothing.

Sighing, I pull out my phone and go to check his location, my eyebrows furrowing seeing that his location said it couldn't be found. "What the hell?" I mumble.

My thoughts immediately went to the worst as I sent him another text before stuffing my phone in my back pocket. I went to get back into the car, slamming the door behind me.

"Um, okay, girl...Malcom gave me Petunia so you need to treat her like the queen she is."

"Take me home." I speak in a demanding tone, looking out of the window as tears began to build up in my eyes. I hated not knowing what was going on with him.

"Girl, what happened that fast? I know his corny ass wasn't in there cheating."

"Just take me home."

"Because he lame as hell, so I don't even know how he bagged you, likeeee. Man, them be the niggas that do the cheating so I can't even be surprised." She pulled off.

"Venus." I look over at her with irritation all over. "Just take me home. He didn't cheat."

This ride was unlike the one from the barbershop. This one consisted of silence. Nothing but the radio for the fifteen minutes it took to get from Amaru's house back to mine.

"Thanks for the ride. Talk to you later." I say dryly, getting out of the car and making my way into the house.

"You look like you about to go sing in a choir, hell nah!" I could hear Tee joking from the kitchen.

I kicked off my shoes and shut the door behind me, walking into the kitchen and dropping my things on the table, looking at Mekhi who was trying on his cap and gown. I assume it had just came in the mail today.

"Look at ya boy, Phat!" He held his arms out, smiling. "Niggas said I wouldn't make it!"

"Nobody said that." Tee placed his hand on his shoulders. "Shit, maybe me."

"Shut up," He laughed, shrugging his hand off. "How I look?"

"Smart." I smile. "Let me take a picture. Pose."

He immediately threw his middle fingers up, making me smack my lips. "Mekhi."

"That's my name, don't wear it out."

"Put your middle fingers down and look nice for once."

He rolls his eyes and puts his hands behind his back, smiling widely. "Cheese!"

I snap a few pictures, my smile matching his. "Big fishhh!"

"Y'all niggas lame." Tee shakes his head laughing. "Take that shit off though so we can eat. I'on want you dropping no food on it."

"Crazy, I'm eating, fucking, and sleeping in this shit."

"You ain't eating my food with that shit on."

I let them continue their banter in the back as I scrolled through the pictures, trying to find my favorite before my phone vibrated, indicating a message.

I looked up at the contact name, tapping on the notification from Amaru immediately.

my lover >
Today at 9:37 PM

Hello, Aniyah. This is Shannon

hi Shannon! i stopped by earlier, I've been trying to get in touch with Mari all day and haven't been able to. is everything ok?

Mari is gone, Aniyah.

what do u mean gone?

I knew exactly what she meant. I was just hoping she would tell me it wasn't that.

Amaru hung himself early this morning. Between the hours of 2-4 AM when no one was up. I found his body in the garage around noon after I ran some errands and needed to pull my car into the garage. I am sorry for not telling you earlier as this has been the worst experience for me and my family.

My son loved you to pieces, if you need anyone we are here. I understand how difficult this may be.

I will let you know the information for the services.

My phone immediately fell from my hands as I dropped down to my knees, sobbing immediately.

"Girl, I know seeing me in the gown is sad and shit but damn," Khi jokes.

"Nigga, shut up." Tee says as he comes over to me, kneeling down so that he was at my level, pulling me into him. "You good, Niyah?"

"He's gone!" I throw my head back, the tears never stopping. "He left a-and he didn't tell me!"

Reaching down, Mekhi grabbed my phone off of the ground and read the messages before passing the phone to Tee, and taking his place as the person holding me. "Try to calm down, breathe, Phat...just breathe.."

I didn't know how to.

I didn't know how to breathe without Amaru.

I didn't know how to be happy without Amaru.

a/n:
hey i know it's late lmaoo and i know some of y'all got school in the morning so here's a good nights read, even tho it's sad.

i really hate that y'all loved amaru this much cus girl he was always gone die and i tried to throw in as many hints as i could and y'all still liked him anyway so idk..that's on y'all.

q: how ya feeling? seen it coming?

oh, my bad for the sudden change from third person to first. it felt right at the moment i do apologize if it's confusing tho.

byeeee!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.3K 795 38
You gotta find the beauty in the inside 🥰 Read to find out 🤌🏽
3.8K 169 15
"𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐦" 𝐒𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟐 / 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠
50K 2.6K 17
"𝘐 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘴𝘰 𝘧𝘢𝘴𝘵, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘮 𝘰𝘱𝘦𝘯..."
345K 16.9K 42
The best things come unexpected and sweep you off your feet