Lonely Thieves

By Talesfromsquareone

In the futuristic city of Twilight, life isn't easy for those who aren't rich. Those who aren't able to pull... More

Prologue
Act I, Part I
Act I, Part II
Act I, Part III
Act I, Part IV
Act I, Part V
Act I, Part VI
Act I, Part VII
Act I, Part VIII
Act I, Part IX
Act I, Part X
Intermission
Act II, Part I
Act II, Part II
Act II, Part III
Act II, Part IV
Act II, Part V
Act II, Part VI
Act II, Part VII
Act II, Part VIII
Act II, Part IX
Act II, Part X
Act II, Part XI
Intermission 2
Act III, Part I
Act III, Part II
Act III, Part III
Act III, Part IV
Act III, Part V
Act III, Part VI
Act III, Part VII
Act III, Part VIII
Act III, Part IX
Act III, Part X
Act III, Part XI
Act III, Part XII
Act III, Part XIII
Act III, Part XIV
Act III, Part XV
Intermission 3
Act IV, Part I
Act IV, Part II
Act IV, Part III
Act IV, Part IV
Act IV, Part V
Act IV, Part VI
Act IV, Part VII
Act IV, Part VIII
Act IV, Part IX
Act IV, Part X
Act IV, Part XI
Act IV, Part XII
Act IV, Part XIII
Act IV, Part XIV
Act IV, Part XV
Act IV, Part XVI
Intermission 4
Act V, Part I
Act V, Part II
Act V, Part III
Act V, Part IV
Act V, Part V
Act V, Part VI
Act V, Part VIII
Act V, Part IX
Act V, Part X
Act V, Part XI
Act V, Part XII
Epilogue
Final Thoughts and The Future

Act V, Part VII

2 1 0
By Talesfromsquareone

Megumi's Side (April 14, 11:30 pm)

Megumi continued to watch the news report with worry as more information became available. Overman agents were swarming the building, and were raiding the roof as the broadcast went on. Despite this, no information about anyone being captured had been brought up despite it having been several minutes since the raid had started. She could only hope that Trevor and Chisato somehow made it out of there, or were at least in hiding.

After a few more minutes, Megumi forced herself to shut off the broadcast. There was no point in continuing to watch when no new information was being given, and the others seemed to have come to a decision on what to do.

"Well, I don't like it, but Hikaru's probably right," Huong concluded as he chomped on an old cigarette. "There's really nothing we can do without more information."

"And to get that information, we'll have to check out the area," Hikaru added. "There are people who've probably been watching the place since all this started. If we can hear from them, we can probably get a better idea of what's been happening around here."

Huong grumbled, still relunctant to go along with Hikaru's suggestion. "It's not my style to wander so close to police activity. People recognize me, you know. If I rouse the police's suspicion, then it'll be me who ends up facing jail time."

"You don't have to come," Daryl pointed out. "Honestly, we only came because we thought you might have a way to get in."

"You think I can let you say that without defending myself? My job requires cred, you know? Can't have people saying I'm no use!"

"We won't say anything like that, so don't worry," Hikaru said with a sigh. "Besides, he's right. You don't have to risk jail time for this."

"Whatever floats your boat. I still think this is a bad idea."

"Even if that's the case, I think the risk is worth taking." Hikaru stood up and put on his coat. "We're better off heading there by foot. It's not far from here, and it'll be impossible to mingle in the crowd otherwise."

Daryl and Megumi left the tent with Hikaru, since neither of them had any further business with Huong. The group walked back out onto the main streets and began making their way to the Florencia building. Though Megumi had rarely ever visited the Morning Star district, she found it rather easy to figure out exactly where the building was due to all of the people still swarming around the area.

The group arrived one block away from the area surrounding the Florencia building, but it was clear that they were not going to get any further in. The Overman Foundation had already cordoned off the area, with alarm fences deployed around the entire block. The large mass of onlookers spread out to the opposite street and continued to watch the situation with awe. Megumi, Daryl, and Hikaru easily melded into the crowd, though they found it hard to see anything worthwhile from where they were.

"I suppose trying to get any closer than this would be suicide, huh?" Daryl remarked dryly as the three pushed their way to an empty spot on the street. "Still, we won't really get much info out here like this."

"If only we could find one of the staff members that got out of the buildings," Megmi sighed. "Then we could at least ask them what happened before they left."

"I doubt they've been released by the police yet," Hikaru mused. "I'd love to ask some of the bystanders what they think, but I'm worried that'll get us tagged for suspicious activity."

"That was the risk we took by coming out here, right?" Megumi began looking around for someone to talk to. "Come on, let's go ask around."

Megumi walked up to an adult woman on her phone. "Excuse me, do you know anything about what's happening with the Florencia building right now?"

"Er, sorry. I just got here. It's such a drag, though! They've blocked off my apartment building! How am I supposed to get back in?"

Megumi sighed, but she didn't expect to hit gold on her first try. She continued to ask other bystanders, targeting those who seemed to be alone or with at least one other person to avoid garnering too much attention. Daryl and Hikaru did the same, though they did not have much luck either.

As Megumi looked around for someone else to speak to, she suddenly felt someone's hand grab her arm. She turned around to see a young woman who barely looked older than she did.

"What the hell are you doing? Are you trying to get caught or something?"

Megumi glanced at the woman's face and tried to recall if she had met her before. "I'm sorry, do I know you or something?"

"Er, do you not remember me? I was one of the sweepers working with Norah. Do you remember?"

Megumi immediately remembered seeing a girl like her when she was cornered in the sewers. She immediately tried to pull her arm away, but the sweeper girl kept her grip on her firm.

"Don't run away! I'm not trying to hunt you down anymore. That job's over and done with."

Megumi remained apprehensive. "Then what do you want? You shouldn't have business with me, right?"

"Come on, don't play dumb. You want to know what's going on with that building right now, don't you?"

"...Do you know?"

"Bits and pieces. Listen, let's move away from here for now. Are you with anyone else?"

"Yeah." Megumi looked around and found Daryl and Hikaru each talking to a different member of the crowd. She quickly pulled them away and followed the female sweeper down to an empty alley.

"Right, thanks for following me. Name's Maize, by the way."

"Megumi. Though you should have known that already."

"In any case, how much do you know about the situation so far?"

"Not much at all. In fact, the only reason we came out here was because we wanted to figure out what was going on."

"I see. Well, to be honest, I'm not that much ahead of you. Can't get in with all the police standing around, after all." Maize sighed. "Still, you're right to be worried. We caught sight of Innocenti Special Soldiers breaking into the building earlier."

"Innocenti Special Soldiers?" Megumi was shocked. "And you didn't do anything about it?"

"Chill!" Maize raised a finger to her lips to hush her. "Kolya already infiltrated the building to try to stop them. You know him, right?"

"I do. You're working with him now?"

"It's a long story. That Norah said she wanted to help you too."

Megumi was surprised to hear that, though considering Norah's mental state after their encounter in the sewers, she wondered if she had anything to do with that. Could she even believe that in the first place? No, there was no time to worry about that right now.

"In any case, all this means is that we need to get into the Florencia building now. How did Kolya get into the building? I'll do the same."

"Whoa, hold on!" Maize quickly blocked the alley heading back to the building. "Don't get hasty. What are you going to do if you get caught trying to get in?"

"Well, I can't do nothing," Megumi growled. "There are important people in that building! I need to make sure they're okay!"

"How do you they haven't already escaped when this all started?"

"I would have seen them!" Megumi shot back. "I wouldn't be this frantic otherwise!"

Maize sighed. "Listen, it's not just the Overman Foundation you need to deal with. Innocenti Special Soldiers have also infiltrated the building, and they're no joke. Even if you're going to be reckless and say you'll go in anyway, it's too late to do what Kolya did to get in either."

Megumi wanted to argue back, but she knew she couldn't. Maize was right, but she didn't want to admit that she couldn't do anything about it. Maize, having seen the look on Megumi's face, sighed sympathetically.

"Look. I'm not saying you have to stand around and wait for everything to blow over. But don't you think there's more you can do besides trying to get into that building?"

"Like what?" Megumi was confused.

"Look, do you know how Overman special agent deployments work?"

"No. Why would I?"

"Well, let's put it like this. Overman tech is super advanced, right? So how come none of it has ever appeared on the black market?"

"I don't know. I always figured Overman was good at keeping that stuff under wraps."

"And you'd be right. However, there's another reason; the cybernetics that are used in Overman agents are so aggressively advanced that using them puts a strain on the user's brain. That's why Overman agents don't actually consciously use the gear. Instead, they are put into an unconscious state while an AI manipulates their brain patterns to move in certain ways."

"Is that for real? Doesn't that make them no better than robots?"

"It's not like they're completely unconscious, but 99% of decision-making is done by the AI. So if we can get to this AI..."

"...we can get the Overman agents to retreat," Megumi reasoned, finally understanding what Maize was trying to say. "You want us to do that?"

"It's better than trying to take them head-on, right? And once they're gone, it'll be easier to find a way into that building."

Megumi's brow furrowed as she pondered her options. She couldn't deny that Maize was right, and she couldn't come up with anything else to do, either. Not to mention that the more time she spent deliberating, the more likely it was the Overman agents would end up breaking into the building. She turned to Daryl and Hikaru to see what they thought.

"I don't think it's a bad idea," Hikaru remarked. "Though I can't say whether or not we'll actually be able to pull it off."

"It's not like we can do anything else, right?" Daryl concurred. "I'd rather do this than try to take on that building, that's for sure."

Megumi nodded and turned to Maize. "All right, we'll take a shot at it."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

602 90 33
[REWRITING] The streets of Itari are filled with crime and gangs, all looking for a way up. Annabelle has long been a member of her team, and a resi...
A Brilliant Plan By Alex Ames

Mystery / Thriller

616K 38.3K 50
Just a regular job.... Get in, crack the safe, fetch the diamonds. That's what hobby cat burglar and acclaimed jewelry maker Calendar Moonstone has a...
10.6K 735 51
Street life isn't easy, not without a proper job and especially not when you have to take care of more than just yourself. To replace your sister's d...
230K 8.2K 16
ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐔𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐒 #🎩🐇🪄 -', ༄ ❪ 𝙳𝙰𝙽𝙸𝙴𝙻 𝙰𝚃𝙻𝙰𝚂 ❫ ﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌ ﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌ 𝗶𝗻 𝘄𝗵𝗶𝗰𝗵 ━ a group of magician misfits b...