The Twenty Year Triangle

By HeidiCarroll

The past always has a way of coming back around. Finding herself at rock bottom after a tough divorce, Kinse... More

Accolades
Summary
Aesthetics
Bonus! Teen Aesthetics!
Style Boards!
Town Map
Prelude
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty Two
Epilogue - Part One
Epilogue Part Two
Thanks For Reading!!

Chapter Sixteen

218 20 330
By HeidiCarroll

To say I'm nervous doesn't even touch the tip of my feelings come Monday morning. I stand in a towel with dripping wet hair facing my open closet. I'm about to sit down with the two men who were both supposed to be my happily ever after. To discuss the mess my life is. 

What does a girl even wear to such an event?

When I called Julian about Oliver's offer, he was surprisingly eager to meet with him and wanted to do it right away, which probably means he assumes we're getting a loan. I'm ready for Julian to push that angle and prepared to fight against it. No way, I will not owe my ex-boyfriend a large sum of money.

I reach into the closet and grab a simple yellow prairie-style dress. It's a pretty dress with spaghetti straps, a sweetheart neckline, and a flirty skirt that falls a few inches above my knee.

Julian will hate this dress. It's way too country, and he hates pastel colors, especially yellow. I once wanted to paint the kitchen yellow, and he told me he'd throw up every time he walked in it. To finish the look, I slip on my cowboy boots. I smirk as I lean over my dresser to start my makeup. 

 Yes, I am a petty bitch wearing a dress I know my ex-husband will hate, and I'm good with that. 

After Saturday I spent the rest of the weekend in this room, for the most part, avoiding Hunter, Oliver, and the entire rest of the world. I organized the decades of clothes here, which helped ease my mind. They, unlike my thoughts, were something I could sort out. I even found the old Undertaker sweatshirt from all those years ago. Had a good cry over that shirt on my bedroom floor. 

Is it a sign? Oliver showing up here reminds me how fast a lifelong friendship can come to an end, and that sweatshirt reminds me of the first time that happened. I can't let that happen again.

I didn't think I'd survive losing Olly, but I did, and it made me stronger. Strong enough to handle what I have been going through with my marriage falling apart and the divorce.

But the reason I survived losing Olly is Hunter. I cannot lose Hunter. He is literally the most important person in my life. I won't survive that loss; I just won't.

Is all of this a sobering reminder not to be risking that? There's a familiar pang of pain in my heart at that thought. A hollow ache that's been for a long time.

"I don't have time for all this thinking right now. I got to get coffee on and get ready for this damn meeting," I say to no one as I grab the folder full of the debts, and duck out of the room.

 I smell coffee when I get downstairs and rolls too. "Oh, Mama." I smile softly; she left the oven on warm, and as I get closer, I see caramel rolls inside. She and Dad had to leave early this morning. One of my uncles had a farmhand quit unexpectedly, and he needs a lot of help, so Dad's gonna fill in for the week until he finds a new one. 

Perfect timing: Dad cannot stand Julian. He was only ever polite to him for me, he won't hold back now, and I don't need all that today.

I lift the caramel rolls out of the oven and set them on the table, along with the folder. I then pour myself a mug of coffee and take a brave breath as I prepare myself. It's been nearly two months since Julian, and I have been face to face. I'm nervous, things tend to go south with us, and when we start fighting, things can get a little nasty, sometimes more than a little. Maybe with all this time apart, it won't get like that today... I hope not, I don't want Oliver to see all that. 

I'm so lost in my thoughts; I nearly jump out of my skin when the kitchen door opens.

"Sorry, Darlin," Hunter says sheepishly, holding up an empty mug; he smells amazing, fresh from a shower, his inky hair damp. "My coffee maker took a crap. I thought you'd still be asleep?"

Shit, the only worse than my dad and Julian getting into it would be Hunter and Julian. "Well, actually..."

"Look at you, beautiful, yellow suits you." His lips curl into a grin as he looks me up and down.

My heart flutters, and I smile back at him, "Yeah? Thanks."

"Pretty as a picture like you always are. Got a job interview or something?"

Then I remember, Julian's coming early, Hunter's got to go...

...but he's walking on in and filling his mug.

"Not exactly. It's a meeting," I start to explain.

"Sticky Rolls?" His eyes grow wide at the table. "Yum!"

"Listen, Hunter—"

A knock at the door stops my words, and Hunter immediately starts that way.

"Who is here this early?" Hunter is at the front door, and before my words can catch up with my brain, he's opening it, and there he is, Julian.

My ex-husband is donned in black dress pants, a black button-down tucked in, and a red tie to set it off. His hair is a little longer than when I last saw him and slicked back with gel. his eyes narrow on Hunter and me. Meanwhile, Hunter tenses as he places himself in front of me.

"Well, I guess this doesn't surprise me," Julian says coldly. 

"The hell are you doing here?" Hunter demands, placing himself in front of the threshold so Julian can't enter. Julian arches an eyebrow up as he looks past him at me.

"Mind telling him I'm invited so we can get on with this?" Julian eyes flash with hurt only for a moment but long enough that I see it. The wet hair, the time of day, it does look a certain way. My friendship with Hunter, even the watered-down version during my marriage, always made Julian uncomfortable.

"Kinz?" Hunter turns to look at me with confusion etched across his face.

"Must not do much talking," Julian gives me a sharp look as he steps further inside, standing on the threshold still blocked by Hunter's larger body.

"Hunter, it's okay. He's here for a meeting... I'll explain it later," I offer, and he steps aside enough for an irritated-looking Julian to slip past him.

"A meeting?" Hunter mumbles. 

"Thought you told your best friend everything?" Julian's words are dripping with venom.

"We aren't starting this like this," I snap as I move past Hunter to step up to Julian.

"I'm not the one rubbing shit in your face," Julian retorts. "You asked me to come a little early so I can walk in on this?"

"That is not what is happening," I say slowly. "I wanted us to talk a few things out before the meeting." 

"Right," he scoffs.

"Believe what you want, but Hunter didn't spend the night in here," I clarify. "He lives on the land and came in for coffee."

"She's right," Hunter backs me up. "My trailer is right out in the field, you saw it driving in, I'm sure." 

I see Julian's face soften slightly and a certain smugness crosses his eyes, making me wish it was what he thought it was. "You could've mentioned he's living on the land. Nice outfit by the way, trying out for the rodeo?"

"I was hoping you'd hate it," I say flippantly. "And I don't have to explain anything to you. The only reason I am, is so you cool your damn head."

"You're right. You don't have to explain yourself to me. Who cares about the past seven years?" Julian continues. "It's all about you, Kinsey. You do you."

"She should do what she wants," Hunter speaks up. "After seven miserable years putting up with you."

"Oh, fuck off about things you know nothing about," Julian snaps back. "You want to talk miserable? Go talk to your own ex-wife."

Hunter gently moves me aside, and I gulp. Shit, this definitely is a lot worse than my dad.

As Hunter approaches Julian, Julian looks him dead in the eyes and blurts out, "Oh right, you're too busy trying to shove your dick in mine."

"Julian!" I gasp in horror.

Before I can even blink Julian is backed up against the wall with Hunter's hand around his neck.

"You really come over here just to get your pretty face messed up?" Hunter says in a menacing voice.

"I fucking dare you," Julian spits out. "Let me go and fight me like a man. I been wanting to smack that dumb ass smirk off your face for years."

Hunter laughs coldly, "You really that stupid?" He releases his hand from Julian's neck but doesn't back away from him. 

"Both of you stop," I beg.

"But Jules would look so good in blue," Hunter says, further angering Julian, whose tanned face is starting to flush from anger.

"What is going on here?" In comes Oliver with the perfect timing. He is standing in the open doorway dressed up again in a six-piece suit, this one gray, but the vest is charcoal grey, that's a few shades darker than the blazer and matching pants. His dark blonde hair is a left looser today, and he has a little facial scruff. He looks stunned as he gapes at Julian and Hunter. 

"Nothing, we're all done with this alpha male crap," I give Julian and Hunter a dark look and then glance back at Oliver. "Come in" I usher him inside and feel Hunter's dark gaze on me as Julian's shifts to the ex-boyfriend he never met but knows all about.

"Julian, Oliver," I make the unnecessary introduction as the men nod at each other. Julian shrinks back a bit when he eyes Oliver and the confidence, he exudes. I bet he wishes he wore a blazer right about now.

"Kinz, what the hell is going on?" Hunter asks and if the moment wasn't so tense, I'd laugh at his baffled expression, but as it is, I don't.

"I tried explaining before Julian got here; we're having a meeting about the debts," I explain hastily. "Oliver offered to help."

"Help how?" Hunter narrows his eyes suspiciously.

"Mafia ties, maybe a little drug running, some murder, you know, the usual," Oliver says with a smirk as Hunter shoots him an irritated look. 

"Kinz?" Hunter ignores him and looks at me.

"He's helping us with debt consolidating," I explain. 

"I thought you and your dad did construction?" Hunter asks. 

"We do. The construction company is our biggest, but I own several companies under it. One of them is a debt management company."

"Kinsey said you can get most of it wiped out," Julian cuts in quickly before Hunter can respond. "You can, right?"

"That is not what I said," I protest. "I said some of the fees and stuff..."

"He needs to wipe at least half of it out, or it's not worth trying to pay back."

"It is worth trying!" I argue. "You agreed to that when you pushed to do this meeting right away."

"It's alright, Kinz. I'll go over all this with Julian, okay?" Oliver says and then looks at Julian. "I may be able to get some of the older stuff written off or settled. It's looking better now that I know you two have an asset."

"What asset?" Julian scoffs. "It's all gone, man. I tried, but I couldn't do the payments alone."

I bite back the words I want to say as I see Hunter's fists clench. I better get him out of here...

"That Benz out there's got to be worth at least eighty. I don't know what you got for miles on it, but even if you get lowballed, it'll help," Oliver says casually as Julian's jaw drops.

"My car? No way, that car means everything. It symbolizes my first real commission check," Julian shakes his head as he talks.

"Eighty grand?" Hunter's eyes widen. "Your car is worth that damn much, and your ex-wife doesn't even have one? Are you kidding me right now?"

"They took hers because it wasn't paid for yet. I tried to save her car."

"Bullshit!" Hunter yells, and Julian finches.

"Hunter, you need to leave," Oliver says bluntly.

Hunter turns to glare at him as Julian lets out a cocky laugh.

"No, what I need is for you, of all people, not to tell me where to be and when," Hunter says icily. 

"I really don't care what you need," Oliver says dryly. 

"You never did," Hunter mumbles under his breath.

There's a weird moment where everything seems to freeze, until finally Oliver clears his throat. "All of this hostility is making this worse, so please just go and let me help, Kinsey."

"You don't know this asshole, Oliver," Hunter says slowly and tersely. "I'm not leaving so he can talk down to her and make her feel worse about shit that ain't  even her fault."

"Kinsey, the angel who can do no wrong," Julian scoffs.

Hunter's gaze darkens as he takes a step toward Julian.

"Hunter, it's okay," I say gently as I jump in front of him. "I can handle this, and you're gonna be late for work."

"I own the company, Darlin," he speaks to me, but his hard stare remains on Julian. "They can get started without me."

"Come on," I plead as I take his arm. "I got this. I promise."

His body is still rigid, and his jaw is all tense as I walk him out; we stop on the front step facing each other. 

"Why didn't you tell me about this?" he asks as the door shuts.

"I don't know," I sigh. "I knew you'd hate it."

"Damn right I do," He mutters. "It sucks that you have to pay any of that shit off, it was all him and he knows it."

"Yeah, it sucks but I can't change it," I sigh.

"You're trusting Oliver with all this, after finding out he owns that company?"

"There's more to it than I realized," I explain slowly. "Oliver overheard me on the phone with Julian fighting about bankruptcy and offered to help. How could I say no? I don't see another way." 

"Working with Oliver and Julian, though, Kinz?"

"I know," I agree with a shaky sigh. "Come over after work, okay?  I'll tell you more then, and I'm definitely going to need some wine."

"Yeah, okay, Darlin. I'll pick up dinner too," he says softly a total contrast to the rough voice he just used on Julian.

He tucks a hair back behind my ear, and I lean into his touch as I sigh, "thanks."

He stills as our gazes' lock; rending me momentarily lost in the blue of it. I have an idea now of what's behind those unsaid words brimming in his eyes, and I have feeling they won't stay unsaid much longer.  I'm equal parts terrified, and excited, about that.

And now that Oliver is here... confused too.

*** 

"I am not selling my Mercedes," Julian says for what I'm guessing is the twentieth time. We keep circling back to this, and I'm about to go out there and sell the blasted thing myself. Oliver decided to drop it at the beginning. But, after literal hours of discussing the debts, we're back here again to the one and only asset we have.

We were going to take a break; I made some sandwiches and a pitcher of sweet tea and moved us all to the back porch, me on the couch and Julian and Oliver each on the chairs across from me. We made some easy small talk for a bit, but soon enough, were back to discussing the debts.

"I understand not wanting to sell it; I do," Oliver rationalizes. "But here's the thing, I can use that money as leverage to get some of this stuff settled."

"Why can't you pay the debts, and we pay you?" Julian proposes.

And here it is.

"Because Kinsey doesn't want that," Oliver says before I have to say no.

"Well, I do," Julian tosses me a look. "Kinsey, if he can loan us the money, let's take it."

"I'm not taking a loan. No more borrowing money," I say quickly.

"This is ridiculous, Kinsey. Even if he gets some of it waived, we'll never pay it off, and I'm not selling the one thing that makes me money."

"How does your car make you money?" Oliver asks, and I cringe, wishing he didn't...

"Because money makes money," Julian says slowly as he gets ready to explain this to Oliver, I see Oliver starting to smirk. "When I'm out there selling, and I look expensive, they want to buy from me."

"You know I'm right," he adds when he sees Oliver's expression. 

"You're on the right track, I guess. When someone's trying to sell me something, I look at the person representing the company as much as the company," Oliver admits.

Julian looks smugly at me and mouths, "I told you so."

"But that being said, I never fell for flashy red ties and slick sports cars. I look a bit beyond that, but that's just me, I suppose." Oliver makes a show of adjusting his watch. From the way Julian slumps down and narrows his eyes at it, I'm guessing it's expensive.

"Kinsey, forget this. He's just trying to be slick and impress you or something, we need to file bankruptcy, and you know it," Julian says.

"No, I won't," I say stubbornly.

"You said you were thinking about it," he argues.

"That was before I talked to Oliver and realized I can't, Julian. I'm not living with my parents for the next seven years. I'm going to need my credit as I rebuild my life."

"Oh, please, how much money do you need to pop out babies, barefoot, in a trailer with your redneck?" Julian gestures to the trailer across the field as my cheeks heat up with anger.

"Julian, I swear! Do not even start —"

"She totally left out him living here," Julian ignores me and looks directly at Oliver, who shifts awkwardly in his chair. "That was a fun surprise this morning, finding both of them fresh out of the shower." 

Oliver coughs and looks away quickly as I clench my fists. 

"I told you he was here to get coffee," I stammer out and the gleam in Julian's eyes tells me this is what he wanted to get under my skin and maybe Oliver's too. 

"It's getting late, and there's a storm coming in, tonight," Oliver looks up at the heavy clouds in the sky. "We need to wrap this up."

"Please, let's," Julian agrees. "There's one way to end it quick, get us in touch with a bankruptcy lawyer." 

 "You talk about bankruptcy, yet you won't sell your car. You know they'll seize it, right?"

"Wrong. I looked it up; if it's your only car, they can't take it," Julian says with a satisfied smirk.

"Is that why you let Kinsey's car get repossessed?" Oliver asks as he casually. "So, you could ensure that you keep your car?"

"No, mine was already paid off when the debts started to mount," he argues.

"Why wasn't hers?"

"What are you a lawyer now?"

"No, but I know several; maybe Kinsey needs one," Oliver says this in such a calm way, I find myself relaxing too, then again, he always had that effect on me. Julian on the other hand looks to be getting increasingly nervous. He pulls his collar away from his neck and shifts in his chair.

"The divorce case is closed. What good would that even do?" Julian asks.

"Of course, it is, but based on when certain things were paid off and when you all separated, it looks kind of like you manipulated the situation to benefit you. A case could even be made that you're attempting revenge or something for Kinsey asking for the divorce. You mentioned that it was her idea, a few times today. I just met you, and I haven't seen Kinsey in years, and I see her trying to figure this out, while you're being purposely difficult." 

He sees it, fifteen years and he's on my side without me even having to tell him... I feel a lump form in my throat. "Thanks, Olly," I whisper then cringe when I remember not to call him that, but he just smiles softly.

"It's okay, Kinz."

"This is ridiculous," Julian huffs. 

"Is it?" Oliver asks with a confident gaze into Julian's eyes, not an ounce of the once unsure geeky little boy is to be found at this moment. "Because from the moment I met you today I've witnessed your hostility towards your ex-wife."

"That was Hunter causing hostility and you even said that."

"I said the word sure," Oliver says with a shrug. "However, what I saw was Kinsey's oldest friend, standing between you and her, defending her from you. During the meeting today I sensed major anger towards her. You flat out refuse to give up the one thing that could help not only settle the debts but also untie her from you."

"The one thing that's mine! I am the one that paid for my car," he argues. "And of course, I'm angry. It's a divorce people tend to be." 

"Of course, but just minutes ago you were demeaning her with clear malice in your tone. That goes beyond normal anger." 

"Malice?" Julian scoffs. "Demeaning, please."

"Barefoot, popping out babies, that whole thing ring a bell?" Oliver tilts his head.

"Surprised you of all people would defend her about him," Julian mutters, and Oliver's eyes widen in surprise. I'm sure he didn't realize I'd have told Julian or anyone else about that night. I wish I hadn't. Julian loves to use it against me, even though he was on my side when I told him the story.

"Well, surprise. I'm in her corner," Oliver's voice remains calm and collected, unnerving Julian even more. I, however, see the tiny tells that it got to him. There is a small bead of sweat on Oliver's temple that he quickly feigns as an itch to wipe away. He then crosses and uncrosses his legs, like he does when he's nervous.

I know he's shaken, at least slightly. He hides it well, though, as he continues on. "Should I make some calls? So, you know, purposely trying to ruin someone financially to entrap them, manipulate them, or get revenge is a crime. There's enough here to dig into any of those as far as I see it."

"You threatening me?" Julian asks, a nervous edge in his tone despite trying to hide it.

"No, I'm not. I don't make threats. I do things," Oliver says. "I will warn you to be careful, though, when the people I know start digging, it's amazing the things they find."

"I will sell the damn car," Julian grits out, his eyes narrow as he glares at Oliver. "But you better come through on settling a lot of this."

Oliver stands up and fishes a business card from his pocket. "The sooner I have the money from that sale, the sooner I can do just that. I know Kinsey is more than ready to be done with you and I can see why."

Julian looks up at Oliver for a moment and then stands, shifting from foot to foot, for the first-time tongue tied. 

"You better get going, if you're going to beat the storm." Oliver hands the card to Julian, essentially telling him the meeting is over.

 I also stand and bite back the cocky grin that wants to come out and mock Julian right now. Stay calm, Kinz, don't start with him and make it all nasty again, I tell myself.

With a grunt, Julian gets up and nearly rips the card from Oliver's hand.

"I'll walk you out," I offer, following a tense Julian as he storms back in. He grabs his folder from the table and then whirls around to look at me.

"You know how much the car means to me," his voice trembles. "It's the only thing I had left."

"Yeah? I got nothing at all, so now we're in the same boat," I retort, but my voice softens as an inkling of guilt hits me anyway. His eyes drop and suddenly, I feel less smug. "Look, I am sorry, but it's the only thing we got that's worth anything."

"Yeah, sure, you're sorry. You got your slick ex-boyfriend to believe I'm the big bad wolf. He's as much of a fool now as he was then." 

"Julian, stop," I hiss, hearing the kitchen door and knowing Oliver had just walked in and heard that.

"Congratulations, you won," Julian adds with a look so cold I shiver. 

"Jules, this ain't about losing or winning," I say softly. "It's about getting out from under this last thing, and then we can finally get closure and move on." 

He looks at me for a long moment and then sighs as he looks past me at Oliver. "I'll call you when I sell the car."

He turns and darts out, leaving through the front door. He slams it hard enough to scare the cat, who yelps a loud meow as she darts up the stairs.

I let out a breath as I turn and look at Oliver. "I don't know if I should start with sorry or thank you."

"Why don't you start by pouring us something stronger than sweet tea?"

"Good idea" I agree as I reach into the cabinet for my dad's bourbon.

There's a storm coming in, stay tuned for the next chapter, more tension coming soon!  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 514 42
Sarah is an ordinary girl, who lives in a town far away from the world hassle. A town which is a small world of its own. A lot has happened with Sar...
24.6K 666 54
The beginning chapters of this story have been revised and rewritten. #2 out of 2.1K stories in secretlove- Oct 12, 2023 #7 in secretlove - Feb 6, 2...
47.1K 2.7K 62
Until a year ago, Kacey's life had always been easy. But when it rains, it pours, and he loses what always seemed a given. A year and a half later, h...
19 5 6
Due to a wildfire in the California forest, Oliver finds himself trapped in the flames. He is a fourth-year student at the university, and unfortunat...