Samurai ↔ Nishimura Riki

By lavendyl

In ancient supernatural Japan, women are expected to take care of the house, be beautiful, marry, and obey th... More

intro
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
halloween special
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four

twelve

394 27 38
By lavendyl

For a reason Hyewon did not know, the palace was buzzing with anticipation.

"Did you hear? Yoon Lia is coming back to the palace?"

"Miss Lia? The lovely daughter of Minister Yoon?'

"I heard that she's incredibly pretty! People say that she has the looks of the goddess Izanami herself! And kind too!"

"She's so lucky to be paired by the handsome Crown Prince!"

The last comment was enough to capture Hyewon's interest, making her stop in her tracks.

"So he has a fiancée, eh?" she muttered to herself. "Charming."

She must be the special guest at the banquet tonight, she thought to herself grumpily, and of course I had to be dragged along.

There wasn't much reason for her to be there at the banquet. After all, there were going to be plenty of guards, it wasn't like she needed to chaperone.

"Why'd you stop moving?" The prince peers down at her in confusion. He must've noticed Hyewon lagging behind. "You're my escort. We can't dally and keep them waiting."

Tonight, he was clad in a navy, brocade robe that flowed right above his ankle. No headdress was upon his head, but power was exerted from his demeanor. She had to admit, he looked handsome in the attire, but there was no way that she was going to tell him that.

Hyewon snaps back to focus. "Sorry, Your Majesty," she apologizes.

Prince Riki scowls. "Since when were you so formal with me? If I recall correctly, you would attack me mercilessly with your insults and retorts. What's up with you?"

She rolls her eyes. She definitely takes back her words. "Why would you care? And do me a favor and shut up," she hisses. "People are watching."

"They always are, get used to it," he replies dismissively before spinning on his heel. "Now let's get going."

Hurray. He was back into his too-important-to-talk-with-the-likes-of-you mode.

When they both entered the banquet hall, they parted ways in silence, Hyewon to her guarding station and Riki to the dining table. As her eyes caught sight of a familiar figure, she predicted that it would be a long night but at least she wouldn't be alone.

"Hey, Hyewon," Yeonjun greets her with a broad grin. "Escorting the prince, hm? I see that you're back on talking terms with Prince Riki."

She snorts. "As if I had a choice as his personal guard." she replied dryly, leaning against the wall. "What are you doing here?"

"I volunteered. Nothing else to do anyway. The only thing there is to do is training. Our cohort hasn't been called to battle. Everything's quiet lately." he peers at her. "I thought you said that you got intel from somebody that the West was going to launch a secret attack. How's everything lately, anyways?"

That's right... Ryuto did say they were going to attack, she thought, Strange.

A shrug. Maybe he was wrong. "Everything's great," she answers sarcastically.

"Nice to hear," he winks. "What's up with you and the prince?"

"There isn't anything 'up' with the two of us," she replied monotonously.

He quirks up an eyebrow. "Well, at least you two are past the cutthroat and killing each other phase," Yeonjun deadpans, wiggling his eyebrows mischievously.

Sigh. "Since when was I trying to kill the prince?"

"Don't even deny it, Hye-'' Yeonjun's eyes widened. He drops to a deep bow. "Your Highness."

Hyewon whips her head around, bowing her head. "Hello, Your Majesty." she greets her.

The empress, dressed in a large, lilac ball gown, merely smiled. "No need for honorifics, dear. It's nice to see you. My son isn't giving you any trouble, is he?"

Trouble, eh? Biting back the scathing comments, she shakes her head. "We're getting along... well. It is an honor to serve the royal family."

"Lovely. Do tell me if he acts out of line," Empress Mika requests before inclining her head towards Yeonjun. "I see that you are close to him. Are you two perhaps... seeing each other?"

What?!?

Heat crept up Hyewon's cheek. They shared a flustered look, before looking away. "No, Your Highness, we're just good friends," Yeonjun answers, scratching his neck nervously.

She winks. "If you two say so. Quite a match. You're a handsome lad. What's your name?"

"Erm... Choi Yeonjun, ma'am. My father is a lieutenant in one of the higher cohorts." he replies tentatively. In her peripheral vision, she notes that he was toying with his uniform, a common habit he had when he was nervous.

"Well, Yeonjun dear, I hope you don't mind if I steal Hyewon here for a bit?" She asks with one hand on Hyewon's shoulder, earning a shake of his head.

"See you, Jun, I guess..." the ravenette trails off before being led by the empress to the dining table.

"Hyewon, there's someone I'd like you to meet," she starts. "I'm sure you have heard of the special guest today?"

"Yes, Your Highness."

They stop right in front of the table. "Hyewon, meet Yoon Lia. She's the daughter of the many important ministers in the kingdom."

The newcomer was dressed in a sky blue kimono. She had long, black locks of hair trailing beyond her shoulders, her bright, rosy lips contrasting her fair skin. Her eyes were small, yet sharp.

She looks like a dumb doll, she thought to herself in disgust.

Lia rises, scanning Hyewon before offering a hand. "I'm Yoon Lia." Her eyes seemed to glitter mysteriously, "Nice to meet you."

"Cho Hyewon." She grips her hand tightly. "I'm the prince's personal guard."

"Really? Hm, I never heard of you." She lets out a girlish giggle before turning to Riki. "Is it true, baby?"

Baby!?!

Looking visibly uncomfortable, he nods. "She is."

"Wah!" Lia clasps her hands. "I've missed out on a lot in the past years. It's been so long." She turns to face the emperor and the empress, a sweet smile on her face. "May Riki and I have a moment to catch up? I missed him so much."

"Of course, Lia sweetheart!" the empress gushes. "Riki, be a gentleman and lead her to your bedroom."

The prince's head shot up in surprise. Panic flickered in his eyes. Why, she didn't know. "But, Mother, dinner hasn't ended yet-"

"Don't worry, I can ask the maids to send you dinner later. You shouldn't leave Lia waiting."

"Mother-"

"Your Majesty," Hyewon interrupts. "May I join? I would like to get to know Lia better and if anything happens, I can protect them."

She didn't know why she interfered. It, after all, had nothing to do with her. But she had done it anyway.

A bright smile lit up her face. "Certainly. You three can get to know each other."

Hyewon could've sworn Lia's eyes flicker with annoyance, but maybe she was imagining it.

Or maybe there was a mask underneath her politeness.

"Of course, I'd love to." she smiles good-naturedly, bowing her head. She entwines her hands with Riki. "Come on, Ki, let's go."

Goodness gracious, what was up with these nicknames? Hyewon was liking Yoon Lia less and less as she followed them out of the banquet hall.

The moment they entered his chamber, Riki let go of her hand. He whirls around to face her. "Don't ever think of doing that again, Lia." he growls harshly.

She puckers her lips. "Aw, Riki, don't be like that. We're going to get married soon." she coos. "Aren't you excited?"

He scowls. "Against my dead body. I'd never marry a person like you."

"Playing hard to get, hm?" Lia advances on him, causing him to back away to the wall. She smirks before pinning his shoulders against the wall. Thump! Leaning closer, she whispers into his ear. "I know you love me, Ki."

The prince shoves her arms away, her only for it to become futile. "Get away. What are you doing?" His facial expression was stone hard, but his high voice gave it away. He squirms against the wall.

Hyewon had enough. "That's enough, Miss Yoon. Step away from him."

Her head spun around, her face going sour. "This isn't any of your business, Cho." Lia snarls. "I have every right to do this to my fiance."

She snorted. "The emperor and empress didn't make a public announcement, did they? In the meanwhile, you're merely a commoner who was lucky enough to get an oh-so important minister as your daddy."

Red bloomed on her cheeks. "S-Shut up, you peasant!"

"It takes one to know one." Her sword shrinks into a knife, which she directs at the minister's daughter. "Now, I say this one more time. Step away from the prince or else there'll be dire consequences. What do you think Their Majesties would think about this?" Hyewon gestures at the pinning.

Despite her many claims about being Riki's fiance, Lia blanches before reluctantly releasing him. "You better keep your mouth shut," she warns before creeping towards the door.

"That's right, run back to your important daddy so you can tell him about your problems," Hyewon taunts.

"Shut up!"

And then she slipped out the door.

"You okay?" Was the first thing Hyewon said after moments of silence.

"You shouldn't have done that." The prince's eyes were darting around. "Lia would certainly not let this slide. Her father, Minister Yoon, is a powerful member of the court. He can make a dangerous enemy."

"Even better. I love putting people to their places. Besides," Hyewon pointed her knife at him. "You can testify for me. She started it. She pushed herself onto you. Lia could be locked up for that, harassing the Crown Prince. What was I supposed to do? Let her walk all over you? She should know her place. She's not your fiancée officially."

Riki regards her with a look she couldn't interpret. "My parents would take her side. They think she's an angel sent from heaven," he scoffed. Walking to the windows, he pulls back the curtains. "If I don't find a suitable match in the masquerade ball in a few months' time, I will be forced to marry her."

"Masquerade ball?" Hyewon questions, tilting her head. "That's new."

"All the nobles of the kingdom and foreign allies are invited, to try their luck with sending their daughters to see if they can make me fall in love with them. And if I do, which is not happening, they'll be my bride." He sounded disgusted at the prospect. "My parents want me to find a bride as soon as possible."

"Well-"

The prince stops, whirling around to face her. "If you're trying to defend them, don't. All of them just want more power. They don't see me as me. They only see Crown Prince Nishimura Riki, the heir to the throne." he mutters bitterly, tugging at his robes.

For some reason, she felt obligated to comfort him. Truth to be told, Hyewon pitied him.

His freedom had been striped away from him at a young age. He wasn't really allowed to make any of his own choices. He couldn't live his life freely as a prince and probably for his whole life, he had been isolated from kids his age. He had to grow up fast. She couldn't imagine taking classes all day, locked away in the palace.

"Cheer up," she told him, trying to sound upbeat. "Who knows, maybe you'll find someone nice and pretty and not spoiled at the ball."

Riki snorts. "Highly unlikely that I'll have my own romance story. When was the last time that someone of royalty married someone of their own choice?"

"Actually, 250 years ago, Emperor Makoto married Princess Nari from the East Kingdom of Dai. They fell in love shortly after meeting each other and tied our alliance with Dai-"

He groans. "I didn't ask for a history lesson, Cho."

Bristling, she pinches the bridge of her nose in irritation. "Well, I'm sorry for trying to be optimistic here-"

"Which is very unlike you." he cuts in, finishing her statement. He peers at her. "Are you sick of some sort? You're acting quite strange."

Hyewon rolls her eyes. "I'm quite fine, thank you very much. What are you planning to do with Miss Clingy Yoon?" she asks, waving her hand around.

"Unfortunately, there isn't anything I can do about her other than pick someone else from the selection of girls in the ball. There would need to be solid evidence against Lia to pit my parents against her. They know I don't want to marry anyone and think I'm going to make things up to get rid of her."

"Seems like your parents trust you a lot, eh?" she snickers.

He falters. "Yeah," he answers quietly.

She was quick to notice the change in his demeanor. That didn't hurt his feelings, right?

A sigh escapes her mouth. She walks towards him and folds her arms. "I didn't mean what I said earlier, I was just joking," Hyewon explains slowly, "I'm sure your parents trust you and love you a lot, even if they don't show it."

"Right." The prince avoids her eyes and continues staring at the sky.

At this point, she felt that it was getting quite awkward. She felt restless just standing there.

Discerning that he might want some alone time, she turns to walk out of the door, only to be stopped by something catching her wrist.

"Can you uh stay for a while?" His voice was quiet and soft, lacking its usual tone.

Huh?!?!?!

Prince Riki brushes his hair aside, probably sensing her confusion. He hastily clears her conflicted mind. "Don't think it's anything, I just want some company after the Lia thing." he says quickly.

Her heart slows down. What was that? "Oh okay," she answers hesitantly.

He raises an eyebrow. "Wow, I didn't expect that. What made you so compliant?"

She sends a glare at him. And there was the prince she knew. "Be glad I'm being agreeable for once. I'm in a good mood. Don't ruin that."

"Yes, ma'am." 

A/N: yo, im in love with enhypens new song blossom- BEST JAPANESE SONG EVER. starting to stan seventeen as well :DD. i actually finished this chapter like a few hours but i had church, we actually getting somewhere!. im going on vacation for a while so updates are slower for two ish  since im not writing on my computer. might write bittersweet memories instead since its a lot easier and shorter on phone. at best, one update of samurai maybe during vacation. 

welp sorry for wasting your time and have a great day!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

341K 19.5K 67
She thought going to college that she'll finally escape the nightmare of highschool. But it's proven wrong as her long time bully was there too, a bu...
36K 2K 38
sunghoon is in love with sunoo. the only problem? they're best friends. another problem: he's obsessed, protective, and would do anything to protect...
46.5K 2.1K 47
in which she moves schools and he becomes her popular, attractive classmate. but what happens when things change, and she battles an undeniable, burn...
2.6K 177 40
An Enhypen mafia story Mae had been alone with her mother for as long as she could remember. Her father had never been in the picture. Whenever Mae t...