Taken to the Deadlands: Tales...

By ElleMaeBooks

Who knew faking seeing ghosts could send me straight to hell? Literally. One moment I was in my shop, mindin... More

Note
Chapter 1 - Mia
Chapter 2 - Mia
Chapter 3 - Aris
Chapter 5 - Aris
Chapter 6 - Mia
Chapter 7 - Aris

Chapter 4 - Mia

106 5 0
By ElleMaeBooks

It was in the middle of the night when they forced us out of our beds and dragged us kicking and screaming.

Or at least I thought it was the middle of the night. Not that our cage had any sunlight or windows to prove it. And as nice as a place as it was, there was no changing that it was anything else and imprisonment. Though if you asked me, I could have probably spent a few more days there without complaint.

The demons that barged in to get us were all wearing the same black uniform and many of them looked human save for the horns, claws, and sharp teeth. At least it wasn't that creepy fucked up ghost from before.

Iris allowed them to take her without much fight, giving up almost as soon as her feet touched the hallway outside our room.

Eve and I on the other hand...

"Get your hands off me you fucker!"

I tried to break out of the guards hold, but both of them were against me, forcing my arms to my side. One of them already got fed up with my screaming and forced a hand over my mouth. I tried to bite it, but the skin was so hard it probably hurt me more than it hurt them.

At least Eve was giving them hell. He screamed, kicked, and slapped at them. Too wild of an animal for them to contain.

It wasn't much use though, we were dragged down the dark hallway and into an even darker room where we were pushed to the ground. As soon as the demons hands were off me I pushed myself up and tried to get to the door before they closed it behind me but a force knocked me back to the ground.

Glowing rope like objects circled around my upper body before pulling tight, constricting my movements. I turned back to look at the culprit but was met with another demon guard. By the looks of his glowing eyes and glower, I assumed he was in charge of the others.

At least they couldn't shoot glowing magic at us.

"Be gentle," he warned the other demons that stood still around us. "Humans are fragile and the buyers will be really upset if their goods are damaged."

Buyers? Goods?

I shot a panicked look to the other girls, though both of them like frozen on the ground, looking top at the demon.

I guess all of us heard the same thing.

Hands gripped me and forced me up once more. This time I couldn't find it in me to fight them.

"It's not like they would care anyways," one of the ones by my side muttered.

"Right?" One that held Eve looked back at us. "They'll be too busy in a feeding frenzy that they won't even notice a bruise or two."

Fear clogged my throat.

The demon in charged huffed as we pass them.

"Remember not every demon is here to get a human to feast on," he reminded them. "Some come for companions, or to bare their children. Either way they pay good money..."

His voice trailed off as the incessant thoughts in my mind grew louder.

Run. Fight them. Run back.

No. I turned my head to look back, there were guards following us from behind and with my arms currently bound I wouldn't be able to fight them like I once had.

Eve flung her whole body back. The demons on either side of her scrambled to hold her, not expecting her to react so suddenly.

The guards grasping me loosened their grip just slightly as the ones in front stumbled back.

I took my chance.

But instead of darting backward, I darted forward.

The only guards in front of us were already trying to keep their humans on lock down so I guessed that they wouldn't try to grab me.

And I was right.

I slipped beneath Eve's legs, dodging the hands that failed for me.

"Go Mia!"

Iris who had been compliant until now clashed against her guards, throwing them off balance enough for me to slip past them.

When I pushed back the curtains that separated us and the next room bright lights blinded me, but I couldn't stop. Not when I could feel the demons right behind me.

Loud rumblings and cheers called my attention. I blinked a few times until my eyes adjusted and followed the noise.

I froze for just a moment, taking in the darkness of the room in front of me. I realized in that moment that I was on a small stage and people—no demons—occupied the spaces. I couldn't make out their faces because of the lights but I could make out distinct shapes like horns, sharp glittering teeth, glowing eyes, and the heavy feeling of death in the air.

I didn't let it shock me for too long and bolted across the stage. A hard chest hit my back and sent me spiraling.

I screamed and jerked in the demons hold. When they tried to cover my mouth with their claws I bit down hard on their hand. Their loud growl roared in my ears.

In an instant, their weight disappeared only to be replaced with another. I turned my head to see the demon jerking against two others that had to pull them to the other side of the stage. Their eyes were wide and bright red, their teeth were barred, and loud growls rumbled from their chest.

"Oh my, it's your first appearance and already you've called forth a frenzy."

Dread hit me hard as I was pulled to my feet only to come face to face with the demon that had whisked me away here in the first place.

I opened my mouth to scream at her but with a single wave of her hand, my throat felt like it was on fire. Coughs wracked my body and my lungs burned. I couldn't breathe.

She didn't stop whatever magic she had done until black clouded my vision.

I swayed against the demon holding me. Their hand wrapped around me and gripped my face, forcing me to look out into the crowd. The longer I stared, the more I could make out the horrific faces that looked back at me.

Some of them could pass for humans, but many looked like something straight out of my nightmares.

"Since the spirit seer offered herself up so prettily, we shall start with her," the white haired demon said from off to the side. "Spirit seers are rumored to have a sharp taste to them with hints of winter and mulberry. We will start the bidding with three thousand royal gold, though remember you can always offer something from your realm to sweeten the deal."

The volume of the room raised in response. I couldn't make out the bids but the white hairs demon seemed to have no problem.

"Five thousand gold and... a mermaid scale! Okay any one... Six thousand and a dragon egg? No, no that would raise it to at least ten thousand gold. Can anyone match?"

The noises around me quieted as my heart slowed.

This was it? This was really how it was all going to end?

I didn't know how long the bidding went on for, only that the entire time I was faced with the hard cold fact that there was absolutely nothing I could do to save myself.

"Eighty thousand and a soul sphere going once... twice... sold to Demis from the fire fields!"

My breath caught in my throat. There were a few grumbles here and there but overall the commotion quieted.

A large demon that was at lest seven foot walked up to the stage. His entire body was hard like rock with racks all along his limbs and face, showing a burning red color underneath. He stood tall though his back seemed to be hunched permanently. His mouth opened to show me a set of decaying but sharp teeth.

"Touch me and I'll kill you," I forced out, though it only made the demon laugh.

"Come human, it's been years since I feasted—"

His eyes widened and his entire body froze. A smaller figure stepped out from behind him, her eyes narrowed in on me.

She was unlike any of the other demons I had seen before. Her skin was gray with an iridescent shine to it in the light. Her long black hair fell to her waist with two long strands braided back, keeping the majority of her hair out of her face. Two deep blue horns jutted from her head and curled back.

She wore a loose blue silk robe that was open in the front, showing off her bare chest, and loose black pants that were tied at the waist. Her hands were tipped in black and just then I realized that one of them was also dripping bright red blood.

She let out a sigh and pushed the giant demon, causing him to tumble to the stage. No one attempted to catch him as he rolled off of it.

"Seventy thousand." Her voice was low and husky and caused a thrill to go through me.

I looked to the white haired demon to my right. There was a small smile on her face.

"Killing the bidders is against the rules," she tutted, though she didn't seem all that angry.

The demon girl shrugged.

"We know you won't punish me, so why don't you just give her to me?"

The white haired Demon cocked her head.

"It's been awhile since you've had a human, Aris of the Deadlands. Pray tell, what amuses you so much about this one?"

Aris. That was her name.

Aris shrugged.

"Take it or leave it," she grumbled. "No one can match."

"Eros and Oros can."

Aris mouth twisted into a snarl.

"They will not bid on this one. Give her to me, I am running out of patience."

The white demon sighed, but didn't fight her.

"Seventy thousand going once... twice... sold to Aris of the Deadlands!"

When Aris' gaze met mine, my breathe was stolen from my chest. This woman—demon— was going to eat me.

Well at least she's hot. 

Want to read more? SDB is up to Chapter 19 on my patreon! https://www.patreon.com/ellemaebooks

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

441 16 26
He dismissed me due to his pride and self-image, prioritizing his reputation and power above all else. He deems me unworthy to stand beside him, sole...
6.1M 212K 61
HIGHEST RANK: #4 as of 3/8/17 *PLEASE READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION, THIS BOOK WAS WRITTEN WHEN I WAS 16 YEARS OLD, THIS BOOK IS NOT PERFECT BY ANY MEA...
1.1K 15 8
" One day, he went walking through the woods and stumbled across an old and decrepit house. A tempting shadow beckoned him from the window. Once insi...
77.9K 2.4K 33
I feel his lips on mine like the were ment for each other.it feels like the whole world has been waiting for this moment and it's just us in this wor...