BROKEN CODE

By WarriorClock

The Revolution has ended three months ago. Deviants are the new species with the same rights as humans and th... More

Prologue
Murder Mystery

Old Friends

0 0 0
By WarriorClock

Detroit, Michigan

02.09.2039, 08:29:27 AM

Everything looked the same since you got departed; every wall had the same stain it had years ago. The scent of watered-down instant coffee and sweating police officers was just the same. Even the ringing of the phones was still the same. It still was the old DPD, as you remembered.

As you made your way to the main area, you could already see Fowler with a fake smile on his face and his hands resting in front of him. You smiled lightly at him before it shattered.

Right behind him was a man you had an awful ending with; Hank. You bit your tongue, trying to seem neutral and composed, but you felt your pump beating faster to keep your system working at high speed.

Fowler called your full name as a greeting.

This made Hank's attention jump. His eyes met yours.

"Mr. Fowler, it has been a while.", You pressed out a slight smile, trying to keep your eye contact away from Hank.

"How long has it been? Two years? Three?"

The conversation was dry, but you kept your mask on. "It's been three years, yeah."

You switched your glance for a second to Hank; his hair was now long and unkept, his clothing lazy and sad, he himself had gained some weight. He looked horrible since the last time you saw him- tired and sagging instead of well mannered and awake. His face was surprised- you couldn't tell if it was positive or negative. But something else caught your attention...

An android staring at you. Right at you. His brown eyes could pierce right through you, if he wanted. His LED was flashing yellow, with knitted eyebrows as he watched every move of your body. Like a predator waiting to attack.

"Now,", Fowler said, stepping slightly aside, "you probably still remember him."

It took you a few seconds to loosen your view from the android. You looked back at Hank; "Yeah. Still do."

Fowler turned to you, putting on his real face- the meet and greet was over; "I assume you already have the files for the case?"

You gave him a short nod.

"Good. You know what you have to do, so you better start now. And stop slacking off."

And just like that, Fowler turned his back and trotted back into his office. You couldn't help but sigh.

"Hey kid.", Hank looked at you, unsure what to do or say.

Even with all the thousands and thousands of lines your system had, you didn't know how to respond. You felt lost, awkward, and uncomfortable. You'd much rather have Reed as a partner than Hank.

"It's been a long time, huh?", You smiled awkwardly, placing your hand behind your neck as an instant reaction.

"Yeah, you, uh... have grown."

You let an airy chuckle out: "Right-"

'Cut the tension with a knife' would have been the perfect quote to put all of this into perspective. Right, how do you even start a conversation with somebody after so long? Especially after a fight? You didn't have the answer. Not even your thousand-dollar system knew better.

You looked back at the android; he still had his eyes on you. Did he even look away once? It didn't seem like it. While his LED turned back into a nice calm hue of blue, his eyes were still dark and darted at you.

Hank noticed your eyes on the android; "This' Connor. My partner."

You turned back to Hank: "I thought you hated androids?"

Hank opened his mouth, but before he could respond, the android struck;

"You're from the JTTF."

A cold shiver ran down your spine. Cops simply hate the feds- feds like you. And you knew Hank was about to shit you together. But whatever God had mercy on you, Fowler called out your name from his office.

You gave Hank an awkward, crooked smile, shrugging at him and turning your back to escape the situation. From one hell right into the next.

You closed the glass door behind you; Fowler's office was still standing, the same as it had been since your last visit three years ago.

Fowler gestured at the seat in front of his desk. And you took it.

"Let me get to the point." He leaned forward, intertwining his own fingers while his elbows rested on the desk, "You're a fed. I don't want you to cause hellfire in here now. I've had enough trouble with your fucked kind."

You could puke. Even though you were an android made to serve, the feds themselves, even others from the JTTF and especially the FBI, were a pain in the ass. Hard to work with and cooperate with. Too demanding. And being a perfectly designed machine that has been associated with the trouble of the Feds for so long, it simply sickened you more.

"I promise, I will not cause any-"

"Shut your mouth." Fowler growled your last name: "You're a police lieutenant now. So  just hand me over your badge."

Your badge. Something you always had on you, just to show you were a JTTF soldier. Just to be treated differently.

You sighed, biting your inner lip, as you unclipped it from your belt hook, handing it over. It felt wrong, as if somebody had stripped you naked in front of a hungry pack of wolves.

"In return-", he opened a drawer on his desk, digging around it for a second before pulling out a different badge.

"This is yours. Your dispatch number is 5263. Got it?"

You gave him a small nod before taking the badge from his hand. You looked at it; it was brand new- one made for only you. The new lieutenant at the DPD.

"Thank you, Mr. Fowler."

"And another thing- what about your team?"

Your team; highly specialized soldiers, basically having grown up in the harsh military environment.

"They should be there tomorrow unless they run into problems with their higher-ups.", you simply reported. Sounding robotic- too robotic if this weren't your programmed answer, suiting your personality.

"Good. I hope you have them under control. I've heard there has been a... mishap. And I do not want any more mishaps from you Feds. Or any of your team."

You bit your tongue, forcing yourself to give an inviting smile.

"I promise, sir, that these men are highly specialized and know what they're doing."

"Good. That's what I hope for you."

You instantly recognized the threat, letting your eyes dart up into Fowler's.

"Or else that new badge of yours is gone. Got it?"

You looked up at him, smiling, with venom dripping out of this forced positive toxicity. "Got it!"

"Good, now your desk is behind Detective Reed's. It's empty and has been cleaned. Any more questions?"

"No, sir"

"Then you're dismissed."

With a short, small bow, you left the office, closing the door behind you quietly. And there was the business of the DPD again. You- or, well, your system- instantly located your new workspace. A white desk with a monitor and keyboard on it.

Instantly, as you dropped onto the chair, you felt the tenseness of your legs leave your body. You didn't even notice how stiff you were the entire time. It felt good just to be able to sink into the cheap chair and let loose.

You pulled out your phone

3 unread messages

Jackson:

Hey, you already arrived? Write me when you do.

Jackson:

Son of a bitch Brown keeps fucking us over these damn docs. Fucksake if you would've told us earlier we might've left already.

Jackson:

Got a note bc of ur ID. You inside?

——

You:

Yep. Something's apparently fucked with my ID. Dunno tho what :P

Jackson:

Still got in huh?

You:

Won't stop me.

Jackson:

Yeah, you maybe but fcking Brown stops us.

You:

What can I say? He doesn't wanna leave behind the best soldiers.

Jackson:

Could've warned us at least.

You:

No fun.

Jackson:

Fuck you.

A smile crept onto your face as you chatted with your close friend Jackson. A goofball of a person, but an amazing friend, and an even better team member.

"You shouldn't be caught playing with your phone at work."

You jumped up at the sudden voice right next to your ear, almost dropping your expensive phone on the ground.

"Fucking Christ-", you hissed.

You turned yourself around to face the voice. Your heart dropped- the android. Your eyes instantly went to his model; <em>RK800.</em> And shot back at his face. He had a slight smile on his face, his brown hair was perfect, a single strand of hair fell out of line. Freckles covered his skin. He had his hands clasped behind his back, only giving you a small smile.

You huffed, combing through your hair with your fingers, hoping your heart rate would slow down, but it didn't. You kept analyzing the android, keeping silent.

"Sorry if I have startled you. I just assumed you should know that Mr. Fowler doesn't appreciate slacking off."

"Yeah, thanks. I would appreciate it if you wouldn't creep yourself next to me."

"I will remember that.", he politely smiled at you.

"Please do.", you smiled right back at him, but unlike him, you were completely sarcastic.

Your phone buzzed again in your pocket. You knew Jackson was needing you for something important, since he never called you unless absolutely necessary.

Even though Connor was towering next to you, you still grabbed your phone out of your jacket.

7 unread messages

Jackson:

Caught slackin huh?

Jackson:

Deserved.

Jackson:

Heeeeey... could you leave Mr. Brown a call?

Jackson:

Fucker doesn't wanna hand our leave's over.

Jackson:

Tf did you do to piss him off that much?

Jackson:

Could you please reply?

Jackson:

Just received a damn phone call from the DPD. Fucked that office guy over or what? Apparently "your ID" was giving whole system a damn crap. Well now we have to get the damn administrators docs. Not only ours, but yours also.

You:

Are you kidding me?

Jackson:

Nope. Well I ain't the one who almost started a civil war in the military.

You:

Jesus Jackson. Just tell me what you need. Fowler will kick my ass if he catches me like that.

Jackson:

Well an apology cuz we are suffering your consequences, and the terminal access to all our docs you harbour.

You:

Terminal access has been granted, unless C demolished that since the revolution.

Jackson:

Yeah no fuck they demolished the access. Can't you send C a report or something?

You:

Nope. Gotta go now. Try talking to the techs, they should help you.

You turned your phone back off and stuffed it into your pocket. Connor was still standing next to you. Watching you intently.

"Sorry. My partners got into trouble because of my leave."

Connor slightly lowered his head, staring into your eyes. "You're a JTTF member. I do not understand why Mr. Fowler wants you here."

"Well, maybe it's because that case is somewhat terroristic? Even so- I am not a JTTF soldier here. Not any longer."

Connor tilted his head slightly in confusion.

You only unclipped your badge and showed it to him.

Before he could respond, a voice from another table called him: "Connor, could you help me for a second?"

The android looked at you for a few more seconds before finally leaving and helping a darker skinned-officer at his desk.

As if a stone dropped from your heart, you breathed out, fumbling your phone out again. You didn't know anybody here- or at least you weren't really fond of having an awkward meetup again. So you chose your phone as an escape, but of course it was somewhat work-related.

You:

A fucking RK800 is at the DPD

Jackson:

And? You finally can make same species friends. :)

You:

Jesus Jack. I don't know if you remember the deviant hunter?

Jackson:

Sure as hell do. Needed to protect your plastic body from getting hunted.

You:

Yeah, fuck you too. That android is the deviant hunter. Same model.

Jackson:

Speaking of androids... Cyberlife sent me a message. You got a new upgrade.

You:

Sure do.

Jackson:

Can't wait to feel it.

Jackson:

Wait no that sounds weird.

You let a small and barely audible chuckle out.

You:

Yes Jack, you can give me a squeeze if you want.

Jackson:

Gotta make sure you actually feel real now.

You turned your phone off again, stuffing it away. Sighing. Your usual day revolved around commanding rookies, being in constant combat training, and sometimes going to riots or doing your missions. Yet here, you just sat and did nothing. Reading the case now was worthless, not until actually having your team at your side. You just wanted to bury your face in your arms and snooze, recharge yourself.

A soft touch to your shoulder and a hand placing some coffee made you jerk up in surprise. Hank was trying his best to be friendly. You smiled at him, taking the coffee into your cold hands before tasting it.

Jesus was that hot, but refreshing. CyberLife went all out on your design. Eating and drinking was just one thing, but actually stimulating your system accordingly to the foods you consumed was beyond what androids could ever do. Beyond what most reports stated about your model.

You smiled, looking at Hank with the coffee cup in your hand: "No way you still remember what I like."

Hank huffed, "It was the only thing keeping you alive. Looks like you needed it."

You smirked, taking in another shot of sweet bitterness.

"But don't think I'll do that every time."

"Why not?", you smirked, glancing up at him, "You would make an <em>amazing </em>barista."

"Fuck you."

You let out a chuckle. It was nice to have Hank back, even after so long. Even after what he went through. An unknown feeling began to plague you- a feeling you actually felt. Was it guilt? You couldn't tell. It only confused you. It worried you.

"Since when do you own an android?", you finally asked after a few seconds of silence and pondering from your side.

Hank looked at you as if you were lost. "He-...He just showed up. And became my partner."

You wondered if Hank would've hated you back then if he knew you were also an android. But your system forbids even mentioning that. It would rather self-destruct then mention your blue blood.

"And how is it?", you asked, slurping away on your coffee.

Hank opened his mouth but closed it shut. Yeah, too personal for the first few minutes, was it now?

"And you? The fuck happened to you?"

You could feel yourself slightly choking on the coffee you just swallowed. Where did this sudden lash-out come from? You looked at him in confusion.

"Pardon? Care to elaborate?"

"Joining the Feds right after fucking leaving me."

You sighed. This again. "Hank, for fuck's sake- I didn't leave you. I had no choice. I-"

"Right, right...", he cut you off mid-sentence.

"Hank, I was departed, I-"

Once again, cut off. This time by the buzzing of your phone in your pocket. You stopped arguing to check who was calling you. Major General Brown.

You jumped up from your seat; "Sorry, I gotta take that."

In an instance you took the call and rushed outside. While Brown did have an ounce of respect for you, and treated you decently, the old, grumpy African general still was a general. Knowing your JTTF crew, they were causing trouble- lost without their sun, crashing around in the dark.

"Sir Brown"

"Thought you'd never pick up, Lieutenant"

"Thought or hoped?", you joked, pacing back and forth in the back of the DPD. Reed would always use the back entrance as a fast way to escape and continue on with his smoking habits. Even though you hated this smug detective, he still was a friend who rubbed off on you and warmed up to you. After three years, he and Officer Miller were the only ones who stayed in contact.

"Look. Call your hounds back, they have been annoying me this whole morning."

"Jackson stated that you refuse to give them the leave"

"Of course Lieutenant Wright said that. The general is quite upset with you- if you have forgotten."

"Are you fucking kidding me? Still? That was, like, what, two months ago?"

"This time, I don't make the rules here. I would have given them the leave but you know how it is with the general."

You huffed; "Right."

"I will try my best to convince the general. I don't want your problems at my door. Nor any of your soldiers. As stubborn as they are..."

"Right, thanks."

The click of the phone ended the call abruptly. You sighed in frustration. The general was still annoyed because you wouldn't act the way he wanted you to. You followed your own missions sent by CyberLife. And get fucked over for it.

"You seem frustrated, Lieutenant."

Once again, this kind voice over your shoulder, and once again, you jumped at the sudden voice. You turned only to face Connor, who had seemingly stood there the whole time you were talking.

"I just got a report of a homocide near by. I wanted to ask if you would like to join me and Lieutenant Anderson."

Stunned was the right word. You were assigned to them to do a specific case, not random homicides. But it did sound intriguing. Showing off your skills was one way to get the grumpy old Hank back on his good side. Besides, your software learned mostly from him. The youngest Lieutenant from Detroit.

"I would love to."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

DBH By moooo

Fanfiction

67.9K 2.3K 18
Connor, the Android sent by CyberLife and Lieutenant Hank Anderson are now armed with the task of taking care of a five year old girl after she survi...
38.3K 1.1K 19
(Gender Neutral) You are the android sent by Cyberlife designed to hunt down deviants along side your partners, Lieutenant Hank Anderson and his son...
4.6K 222 7
Set in an AU where Cole never dies from the accident and lives a happy, quiet life with his dad, Hank Anderson. Connor is the android sent by Cyberli...
130K 5K 37
"You love him, that's why you care so much for him," You thought. "You love him. You love him." -- Detroit is a bustling city-center, with those look...