WIRED, d. djarin ยน

By -saraharding

โ”€ โ› ๐š๐ง๐ ๐๐ž๐š๐ญ๐ก ๐ฌ๐ก๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐›๐ž ๐ง๐จ ๐ฆ๐จ๐ซ๐ž โœ BY ALL ACCOUNTS, Cyi should be dead. Instead, she's cr... More

( i. )
( ii. )
( iii. )
_01
01.1
01.2
01.3
01.4
01.5
_02
02.1
02.2
_03
03.1
03.2
03.3
03.4
_04
04.2
! heads up !

04.1

58 3 19
By -saraharding

.・ ̣ ✵ ・ *.

⠀⠀⠀ WHEN MANDO CATCHES sight of the distant planet, he's relieved. He's also not quite sure where he is. As if on cue, the thief - Cyi - asks which planet it is.

⠀⠀⠀ "Good question," Mando mutters. He refers to the chart on the monitor. "Sorgan."

⠀⠀⠀ "Crowded, or...?"

⠀⠀⠀ "Let's see. Looks like there's no star port, no industrial center, no population density. A real backwater skug hole. Which means it's perfect."

⠀⠀⠀ He glances back at Cyi. She stares out the cockpit, and her brow is furrowed. "For you, maybe," she says quietly. "But no star port means not much to stow away on."

⠀⠀⠀ A pause, then she mutters, "That's gonna be a problem."

⠀⠀⠀ Mando tilts his head, studying the stars as if they'll whisper the words he's searching for if he only watches long enough.

⠀⠀⠀ "What?" Cyi snaps.

⠀⠀⠀ He swivels his chair around, those right words still just out of reach. "Where is it you're wanting to go?" he asks. Keep stalling.

⠀⠀⠀ Now it's her turn to stare at him, as if she's trying to read him. He's thankful for his helmet, but even so, her eyes are piercing. Almost unnaturally so. "Home," she says finally.

⠀⠀⠀ Another piece to the puzzle of this girl. Mando has the feeling that if he presses her for information, she'll withdraw. But she's mentioned a mother who's familiar with guns, now a home.

⠀⠀⠀ "Where is that?" he asks.

⠀⠀⠀ "Det Mibeja. It's a town on Duhiri's high deserts." A tiny smile brushes her lips. "If you face east, you can see the mountains."

⠀⠀⠀ Go on, he wants to say. But she doesn't. Her eyes fall on the dents and scratches on the edge of the chair and she traces them lightly with her fingertips. 

⠀⠀⠀ "What about you Mando?" she asks. "Where do you call home?"

⠀⠀⠀ I don't know, Mando realizes. But he tells her that the Crest is his home, and she scoffs under her breath.

⠀⠀⠀ He turns to the kid. "You ready to lay low and stretch your legs for a couple of months, you little womp rat?" he asks. "Nobody's gonna find us here."

⠀⠀⠀ Mando looks back at Cyi. "I mean that," he adds. "You can hide out here. This place probably isn't empty; you don't have to stay near me if you don't want to."

⠀⠀⠀ She glances up at him, surprised. "I'll take you to Duhiri in a few months," Mando continues, "if that's what you want."

⠀⠀⠀ Not exactly what a respectable bounty hunter would offer, but maybe what a respectable person would.

⠀⠀⠀ Cyi watches him for a long moment, as if waiting for him to rescind the offer. He says nothing, and finally, that same little smile tugs at her lips.

⠀⠀⠀ "Thank you," she whispers. Her voice echoes the surprise in her eyes and rings with a deep, gentle gratitude that makes Mando certain of his decision.

⠀⠀⠀  BY THE TIME the Crest begins it's descent, Cyi is sitting stiffly in her seat. Her eyes are shut, but it does not fool Mando. Nervous of descents, he realizes. Why that is, he doesn't know. He understands that she doesn't want him to see, and says nothing.

⠀⠀⠀ Once the Crest settles, she breathes deeply. He does not see her open her eyes, but the little noise of surprise she makes tells him well enough that she sees the forest. In Mando's opinion, all the trees are a bit monotonous, but who is he to argue?

⠀⠀⠀ Det Mibeja. Duhiri's high deserts. Mountains in the east.

⠀⠀⠀ Perhaps she's never seen a true forest before?

⠀⠀⠀ As soon as the ramp is down, Cyi is out of her chair and running into the clearing. Mando follows her, green creature in tow. He watches her from the top of the ramp, the kid beside him. Her eyes are closed and she's breathing  deeply, face turned toward the sky. 

⠀⠀⠀I suppose the air is pleasant here, Mando realizes. Crisp, clean. It smells faintly of earth, of trees and mosses and life.

⠀⠀⠀ Cyi throws her head back and laughs. Not a bitter laugh, nor a wry one, but a shout of joy and wonder and relief. It startles him, because it makes him realize that it's been a long time since he's felt - or seen, really - those things. The satisfaction he feels in a job well done, he's familiar with. It isn't joy, though. Nor is the smug, greedy expression he's seen on many client's faces.

⠀⠀⠀ She's craning her neck back now, staring at the canopy above them. Her lips are parted in awe, her eyes wide and every few seconds, she turns to drink in another bit of green and brown and blue.

⠀⠀⠀ "It's beautiful," she's whispering. "Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful." Over and over again, a prayer, and Mando knows the words are not meant for him. But they still brush something in him, a spark of her joy.

⠀⠀⠀ If he's glad, suddenly, that Cyi came with him? That she's not stashed away in some cold gray room? He can acknowledge that, and set it aside.

⠀⠀⠀ He lets her drink in the world around her, and waits.

⠀⠀⠀ WHEN THE SUN reaches its peak, Mando stands.

⠀⠀⠀ "I'm gonna go out there," he says, "and I'm gonna look around. It shouldn't take long. You stay here with the kid."

⠀⠀⠀ Cyi's eyes flash. "I think the crik not, chum," she says indignantly. "I'm grateful and all for the lift, but you are not in charge of me."

⠀⠀⠀ That's fair. "Alright," Mando concedes. "Point made. You're welcome to stay or go."

⠀⠀⠀ He turns to the kid.

⠀⠀⠀ "You, on the other hand, are staying here."

⠀⠀⠀ The kid coos happily.

⠀⠀⠀ "Now, don't touch anything." He starts for the woods.

⠀⠀⠀ A gurgle at his feet.

⠀⠀⠀ Mando sighs and looks down. The kid is there, staring up at him unblinking.

⠀⠀⠀ "No," Mando says. He picks him up and carries him back to the Crest. "You stay. Don't move."

⠀⠀⠀ Coo.

⠀⠀⠀ "You understand?" Mando presses.

⠀⠀⠀ "No, I don't think he does," Cyi cuts in.

⠀⠀⠀ Mando ignores her, and gives the kid a little push into the hold of the ship. "Go on," he urges. "Just don't touch anything."

⠀⠀⠀ He turns as the door hisses shut. Cyi watches him, humor crinkling her eyes. She opens her mouth to speak, closes it, and presses her lips tightly.

⠀⠀⠀ "What?"

⠀⠀⠀ "Nothing," she says, in a tone of voice that says there is definitely something. Her eyes fall on the treetops again.

⠀⠀⠀ Then Mando feels a little tug, and she laughs under her breath. Apparently, the little green kid won't be contained.

⠀⠀⠀ "Oh, what the hell?" Mando sighs. "Alright, come on."

⠀⠀⠀ He stoops to scoop up the kid. Then Mando glances at Cyi.

⠀⠀⠀ "You coming?" he asks. "I'm sure we can find some sort of arrangement for you."

⠀⠀⠀ She tears her gaze from the treetops. "Sounds excellent," she says.

⠀⠀⠀ The start into the woods.

⠀⠀⠀

⠀⠀⠀ LIKE THE REST of Sorgan, the tavern isn't crowded.

⠀⠀⠀ They take seats, and a waitress bustles toward them. "Welcome, travelers," she says. "Can I interest you in anything?"

⠀⠀⠀ "Bone broth, for the little one," Mando says. He glances at Cyi.

⠀⠀⠀ "The same for me," she says. Mando notices that voice is the tiniest bit sad, and he wonders why.

⠀⠀⠀ "Well you're in luck," the woman says. "I just took down a grinjer, so there's plenty." She turns her eyes on Mando. "Can I interest you in a porringer of broth as well?"

⠀⠀⠀ He shakes his head. "Just the two."

⠀⠀⠀ "Well then." Before she can leave, Mando glances at the soldier across the tavern. She's sitting alone, but looks like enough to cause trouble single handedly.

⠀⠀⠀ "The one over there," Mando asks the waitress quietly. "When did she arrive?"

⠀⠀⠀ The waitress glances at the woman. "A week or so ago," is her answer.

⠀⠀⠀ "On what business?"

⠀⠀⠀ Now the woman chuckles. "Business?" she echoes. "Oh there's not much business on Sorgan, so I can't say. Although she definitely doesn't strike me as a log runner."

⠀⠀⠀ Mando gives her several credits, and she blinks.

⠀⠀⠀ "Thank you, sir. I'll get that broth to you as soon as possible. Maybe throw in a flagon of spotchka for good measure?"

⠀⠀⠀ "Thank you," Mando says.

⠀⠀⠀ Cyi is watching him. "Do you think the solder is a problem?" she asks.

⠀⠀⠀ "We'll see," is all Mando can offer. The furrow of her brow tells him that she's not satisfied with that answer. A shame, truly.

⠀⠀⠀ When the waitress returns, and both Cyi and the kid have their broth, Mando stands. "Could you keep an eye on the kid?" he asks.

⠀⠀⠀ "Sure," Cyi answers. "Thanks for the soup," she adds, although there's something regretful in her eyes again that Mando doesn't understand.

⠀⠀⠀ He stands and exits the tavern.

⠀⠀⠀ WHEN THE SOLDIER'S track of bootprints ends, Mando's alarm skyrockets. Only one way to go, he realizes, and already, he's turning to look up. Her attack still catches him off guard.

⠀⠀⠀ He barely registers her body swinging down before heavy boots crash into his chest and he stumbles back. As Mando struggles to draw breath, the soldier slams her fist into his face, once, twice, thrice. Even with his helmet, the blows send Mando staggering against a wall of wooden slats.

⠀⠀⠀ But now surprise has worn off, and Mando surges against her. The soldier dodges his first swing, but he lands the next one, and then they're exchanging blows. But the soldier fights with all the strength of a hail storm, of a lightning strike, and it isn't long before she has Mando stumbling to the opposite wall.

⠀⠀⠀ He shakes his head vigorously, a vain attempt to clear it, and she's on him again with a boot to the ribs and a fist to the face. When she swings again, Mando ducks toward her.

⠀⠀⠀ They grapple for a moment, and the soldier frees her arm. Too late, Mando sees her fist arc down to pound the side of his helmet again. 

⠀⠀⠀ Mando slams to the ground with a grunt. Instinct rolls his body away from her. He glances up.

⠀⠀⠀ The sun is high and blinding and hot. It frames the soldier as she massages her jaw, and Mando takes advantage of her distraction.

⠀⠀⠀ He fumbles for a button on his wrist. A moment later, fire spews out, and he twists back toward the soldier. But then she's on him again, stomping hard on his forearm. Mando grits his teeth as she grinds the heel of her boot down, and he grabs her ankle.

⠀⠀⠀ Then they're both on the ground, grappling for advantage.

⠀⠀⠀ Mando swears when the soldier pins him down. Her knee is on his throat, fist poised to strike again. He twists her head away from him, and she loses her hold for just a second.

⠀⠀⠀ It's enough for Mando to offset her balance, and he presses her shoulders into the ground. He has her pinned when the soldier grasps his forearm tightly.

⠀⠀⠀ Before Mando can fully catch what she's doing, he's somersaulting off her. He lands hard on his back, and she keeps her hold on his wrist.

⠀⠀⠀ With his free hand, Mando draws his blaster. He's still on his back when he points it at her, when she shoves her own blaster into the chink beneath his helmet, when out of nowhere comes a long slurrrrrrp. He snaps his head to the sound.

⠀⠀⠀ "Dank farrick," Mando mutters. The kid is watching them unblinkingly from Cyi's shoulder, porringer cupped tightly in his little green hands.

⠀⠀⠀ Mando glances back at the soldier. Her eyes slide to their company and back to him. Without a word, she relinquishes her grip, and Mando rises. He turns his attention to Cyi. She still has the kid on her shoulder, one hand supporting him.

⠀⠀⠀ "I thought I told you to stay with him in the tavern," he says.

⠀⠀⠀ Cyi's lips twitch. "You told me to keep an eye on him, but failed to specify where. That's on you, chum."

⠀⠀⠀ She gives the kid a little pat. "Plus," she adds, "we got bored."

⠀⠀⠀ The kid slurps on his broth again, and Cyi swings him down gently. "Can't stay out of trouble, can you?" she says with a pointed glance at the soldier. "Care to introduce us to your new pal?"

⠀⠀⠀ "Well-" Mando starts.

⠀⠀⠀ The soldier interrupts him. "Cara Dune."

⠀⠀⠀ Cyi shakes her outstretched hand. "Pleasure," she says. "I'm Cyi."

⠀⠀⠀ "Who's the little guy?" the soldier - Cara - asks.

⠀⠀⠀ "Good question. No idea. You want some soup?"

⠀⠀⠀ It occurs to Mando that had he asked Cyi to talk with Cara before he went to track her down, he'd have saved himself a lot of bruises.

⠀⠀⠀ He shakes his head, and follows them back to the tavern.

.・ ̣ ✵ ・ *.

yes i created that planet
bc i didn't feel like
trying to find the equivalent in the canon
star wars universe

fight me.

kidding please don't,
i would absolutely lose.

also, this update is dedicated to the lovely

getbrekkered

who absolutely flooded my notifications
with a ton comments and literally made my week

that meant the world to me, thank you <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.3K 1.3K 14
[COMPLETE] โDin, ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ท๐˜ฆ.โž โ€ข The princess of Rainoh regrets the decision of ordering her Mandalorian out of her planet, without realizing the ๐”…om...
955 22 15
The Mandalorian gets more than he bargained for when he takes a risky job in exchange for information on a Jedi. Preferring to work alone, he is frus...
5.9K 220 12
โ” โ๐˜ธ๐˜ฆ'๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ต ๐˜จ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ๐˜ญ๐˜ฆ, ๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ. ๐˜ธ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ'๐˜ต ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ท๐˜ฆ ๐˜ข ๐˜ฉ๐˜ข๐˜ฑ๐˜ฑ๐˜บ ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ.โž OR โ” ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ค๐˜ฉ ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ด๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ด๏ฟฝ...
2.7K 98 21
A bounty Hunter must make his way through the Galaxy after finding two kids that need caring for. I own nothing except for my OCs