The Farmer's Son

By CrystalandherShards

[The Watty's 2023 Shortlist] When a young cowboy comes to corn country, all he's looking for is a paycheck an... More

Chapter 1 Once More onto the Breech
Chapter 2 The House that Walker Built
Chapter 3 Secret Keepers
Chapter 4 A Gathering of Old Men, and Judith
Chapter 5 In the Garden of Alan
Chapter 6 The Other Farm
Chapter 7 In The Dirt
Chapter 8 Shot Heard Across the Farm
Chapter 9 Tales Under the Moon
Chapter 10 Help Where Help is Needed
Chapter 11 Swinging for the Fences
Chapter 12 The Business of Others
Chapter 13 The Outsiders
Chapter 14 An Affair To Talk About
Chapter 16 Shave and a Haircut, Two Whiskeys
Chapter 17 It's a Date
Chapter 18 Great Expectations
Chapter 19 A Punch From the Past
Chapter 20 Still Welcome Here
Chapter 21 The Story of Joel
Chapter 22 Exes Mark the Spot
Chapter 23 Annabelle
Chapter 24 Wheat and Fireworks
Chapter 25 Wrong Number
Chapter 26 What is Love
Chapter 27 Why Bear Barks
Chapter 28 All Paths Through The Field Lead Home
Chapter 29 Somebody That I Used To Know
Chapter 30 Because Of You
Chapter 31 The Odyssey
Chapter 32 You Can Go Home Again
Chapter 33 The Sound of Silence
Chapter 34 Make Her Shine
Chapter 35 Don't You (Forget About Me)
Chapter 36 A Lotte You Didn't Know
Chapter 37 Living and Dying With the Choices I Made
Chapter 38 Time of the Seasons
Chapter 39 Not Set in Corn
Chapter 40 Between Dreams and Home
Chapter 41 Stolen Whiskey Memories
Chapter 42 Agritourism
Chapter 43 Kiss and Tell
Chapter 44 The Room of the Living
Chapter 45 Slow Burn to Ignition
Chapter 46 Warnings
Chapter 47 Auntly Duty Done
Chapter 48 Take Me Home
Chapter 49 Moving On
Chapter 50 Roadblock
Chapter 51 The Return of Cowboy Ray
Chapter 52 Let the Games Begin
Chapter 53 Raising the Stakes
Chapter 54 A Proper Goodbye
Chapter 55 Where There's Smoke
Chapter 56 Resolutions
Chapter 57 The Calm Before
Chapter 58 Oncoming Storm

Chapter 15 Farmer Ray

81 6 7
By CrystalandherShards

Alan stood in the kitchen, phone to his ear. After the warnings, he had come right in and called his father, who was in the next county at a Farmer's association meeting.

"Yeah, we finished the cellar this morning. Yeah, Ray is moving the tractor inside right now. Okay... Yeah... No, I don't think you should drive back today, Pa. Least wait until the tornado warning's over."

"That could be tomorrow or next month," came Noah's voice through the phone. "Longer I wait, hotter it'll get. And if a tornado decides to rip through—"

"It'll catch you on the road."

Noah sighed at the tone of his son's voice. "I'll wait till the sun goes down," he finally conceded. "You boys stay inside. Don't let Ray go out to that garage, now, he'll cook."

"I'm only one man, Pa," Alan said, making his father give an amused grunt. "Be safe."

"You, too, son."

Without hanging up the phone, Alan ended the call and dialed another number, just as Ray came through the kitchen door. "Pa's staying in Tyler's Landing till nightfall," Alan said, as he did. "We're not going back into the fields until the heatwave breaks. Mrs. Mason?" he said into the phone. "It's Alan."

Ray sat at the table as Alan made call after call, checking in on his friends and neighbors. No one needed telling about the warnings, or how to prepare for them, they'd been doing that their whole lives. It was about the importance of keeping the lines of communication open and being ready to lend a helping hand when needed.

As Alan hung up the last call, he sighed heavily.

"You okay?" Ray asked.

He glanced up at Ray, who pushed a glass of juice at him across the table. "It's not my first warning," he said, sitting down. "And it won't be my last."

"Doesn't make it any less scary," Ray said.

"If only most of the men hadn't left for the association meeting, we—" His next words were cut off by the ringing of the phone. Quickly getting to his feet, he reached out and lifted the receiver to his ear before his body caught up. "Hello? Mrs. Geary, what is it?" He listened, frowning. "Alright," he said. "I'll go check on him. Okay." He hung up.

"I'll go check," Ray said, getting out of his chair. "Who am I checking on?"

"Dusty," Alan said, a smile pulling his lips even in his worry. "Likes to sleep on the porch when he drinks."

"Bring the old man in out of the sun. Got it," Ray said, making Alan give a breathy chuckle. "Matter of fact, you stay here, and just call and let me know where to go."

"You sure?"

"We only have the one jeep, and they'll feel better talking to you. I'm the hired help, so let me help."

Alan gave an appreciative smile, watching as Ray collected the keys from the wall hook and went out the kitchen door into the unrelenting heat of afternoon.

*

Ray was out for most of the afternoon, making general wellness checks on the other farmer's wives. They were apprehensive about his presence, at first, but after he dragged Dusty inside and set a fan on him, and corralled little Gillian's escaped pet ducks, they became grateful. He was offered drinks and bread and pastries, and a few even invited him inside, but he wisely declined those.

His last stop was Mrs. Geary, a big, stern woman with iron grey hair coifed on top of her head. Alan had sent him because she was the type to look out for everyone else and not herself. "Humph," she said, standing on her porch and looking him over with a critical eye. "We'll make a farmer out of you yet, Cowboy."

"Just call me Farmer Ray," Ray called, grinning and tipping an imagery hat to her, which made her humph again, but a smile tugged at her pursed lips.

*

Alan crossed the yard that radiated up heat like a furnace, heading towards the garage. Even in the shade it was over a hundred degrees, and inside the metal structure the hot air collected so thickly that he felt like he was walking into a wall of heat. Yet there was Ray, on his back under the old tan truck with his legs sticking out.

Just inside the door Bear lifted his head, and Alan rubbed it to keep him from barking. As Bear returned to sleep, Alan slowed and quieted his steps. Covered by the sound of the truck radio playing an old country song and the clank of tools, he leaned over the open hood. "How's it coming?"

The legs jerked as a loud curse and the clanking of a falling wrench followed. "Damnit, Alan!" Ray said. "Were you a ghost in your last life? Sneaking up and scaring people like that."

Alan laughed. "Pa said not to let you out here," he said, nudging Ray's leg sticking out from under the truck with his toe. "Come out before I tell on you."

Ray slid out from under the truck, rubbing his shoulder where the wrench had fallen. "Narc," he said.

Alan held out a hand, and Ray took it. Alan pulled, and either he misjudged the strength needed, or Ray wasn't ready, but Ray came up quickly and off balance, staggering a few steps into him. Their bodies collided, and Ray's hand came around Alan to catch his balance, landing in the small of Alan's back. Their faces inches apart, Alan felt Ray's hot breath on his sweaty neck, and his nose filled with the strong scent of oil, sweat, and dust.

"Been in the heat too long," Ray muttered, shaking his head. "Thanks."

Alan averted his face as Ray stepped back and released him. "When—" He cleared his throat. "When did you get back?"

"Not too long ago," Ray said, wiping his hands on a rag. "After I got my ducks in a row," he chuckled. "You were on the phone."

"So you snuck out here to work on the truck?"

"I didn't sneak," Ray said, but he could not keep a straight face, and rubbed the back of his neck as he laughed. "Sorry," he said, with a tilted, dimpled smile. "Couldn't help myself. Were you looking for me? Need something?" he asked, turning away to pack up the scattered tools.

Alan watched him as he moved around the truck. He was in a green tank top, and his bare arms were streaked with grease and dust, his black hair even more slicked back with sweat. "I was looking for Bear," he said. "To give him a—" He stopped and glanced back at the dog, who when he heard his name, raised his head to look at them.

Straightening up, Ray glanced at Alan, then at the dog. "Oh," he said. "To do that."

Alan nodded. "It'll take a lot of sweat, and probably some blood and tears. You in?"

"I don't get out of bed for anything less."

*

"He's breaking my heart, Alan," Ray said.

"Be strong, Ray," Alan said. "Remember it's for his own good."

"But—"

"Here," Alan said, handing him a bottle. "Just one more shampoo and we'll be done."

Ray sighed as he took the bottle. "Hang in there, buddy," he said.

The two young men were on their knees beside the clawfoot tub, washing a sudsy Bear who looked like he wanted to die. Done in cheerful yellow and brown tile, the bathroom was fairly large, with a sink and toilet along the back wall, and the full length tub along the right wall. Drawn yellow lace curtains of the window above the toilet let in bright beams of sunlight and a view of the swaying yellow corn below, almost like an extended piece of décor.

Bear sat still in the tub, but his eyes blinked beseechingly at them, and he whined and pawed at their hands as they scrubbed his body. Alan was immune to this pathetic display, but it was taking all Ray had not to pick Bear up and run.

"Hold on, B," Ray said, rallying. "You're doing good. After this I'll cook you some bacon."

Beside him, Alan sighed and wiped his forehead with the back of his wrist. Rubbing Bear comfortingly around the neck, Ray glanced at the other young man. The worry was clean in his face and voice. Even though he'd weathered many tornados and heatwaves in his twenty-two years, that didn't mean they got any easier. Ray was uneasy as well, but it wasn't the same. He didn't have as much to lose as Alan.

Their hands scrubbed through the fur, which had already shed for the season, Ray on the body and Alan carefully washing the face, avoiding Bear's eyes and ears. He stood to unhook the showerhead and turned on the water, testing the temperature before turning it on Bear.

"Doesn't that feel good?" Alan said to the dog. "Hey!"

For Ray had turned lowered his hand under the stream of water and flicked his wrist, splashing Alan. Alan cried out as the cool water hit his face, twisting his head away, then looking at Ray incredulously.

"What?" Ray said, snickering. "You said it felt good."

Alan gave a breathy scoff. "It's too hot to play," he said.

"If a heatwave ain't the time to play in water, when is?" Ray said. He splashed him again.

"You're getting the floor wet," Alan said, even as he laughed and turned away, letting the water splash his t-shirt instead, turning the olive-green fabric darker in great splotches.

"Stay still then," Ray said.

Alan flinched away, then without warning turned the full showerhead on Ray, catching him by surprise. When he turned it away, Ray's green tank top and jeans were soaked through.

"Whew!" Ray said, wiping his face and wet hair back. "That's what I'm talking about."

While the boys laughed, Bear sat dripping in the tub, unamused. They rinsed and towel dried him, then brushed his coat out.

"Can you get the grooming kit?" Alan called over the noise of the blow drier as he dried Bear. "In my nightstand, bottom drawer."

Patting Bear on the back, Ray stood and made his way outside. They were in the second floor bathroom, which was really just Alan's bathroom, as the master bedroom had its own. From the stairs, a carpeted hallway ended at a larger oval window, flanked by two heavy weathered grey doors. On the left was the upstairs bathroom, and opposite was Alan's room.

Stepping across the hall, Ray pushed through the open door. Inside was a four-poster bed made of dark, heavy oak, covered with a checkered blue comforter. On the right was a matching oak nightstand, an old bureau, and a chest of drawers, while the entire left wall was taken over by two enormous windows with drapes matching the bedspread. Warm, bright sunlight spilled onto the blue carpet and the bed.

Ray found the grooming kit, a black zippered case, and bent to retrieve them. When he stood, his gaze flicked to the bed. Under the pillow was the corner of a book. He chuckled lasciviously, glancing behind him before reaching out and sliding the book out. Instead of some something explicit, however, what he held was actually the book he'd borrowed—and completely forgotten about—from Judith.

He turned it over thoughtfully in his hands, tugging at the receipt for gas that was being used as a bookmark, placed almost halfway through. The last time he could remember seeing this book was when he'd left it on the dining room table the night he came home with it.

"Did you get lost or something?" came Alan's voice, floating in from across the hall.

Slipping the book back under the pillow, Ray took the zippered case and left. Back in the bathroom, he handed the case to Alan, then stood at the sink and examined his wet hair in the mirror. "You up for another cut and wash?" he asked, brushing long strands behind his ear.

Alan, scissors in hand, glanced up at Ray's back, his gaze falling on the flex of muscles visible by his tank top. "Cut's free, but the wash'll cost ya."

"I'm already wet," Ray said. "And you already seen me in my birthday suit. That knock anything off?"

"Price just doubled."

"Shylock," Ray said, turning to nudge him over with his foot.

Catching his balance on the floor with one hand, Alan laughed.

"I need a drink after this," Ray said, tossing the towels into the hamper.

"I have bad news," Alan said. "We're out of beer."

Ray's expression was so stricken Alan laughed.

"Please, say you're joking," Ray said.

"Sorry."

On the floor with Bear, evening up any longer hair with a pair of scissors, Alan watched as Ray braced his hands on the sink and dropped his head in despair. He smiled and shook his head, then turned back to Bear. After the clipping, he checked Bear's nails, but being an outside dog meant they were shaved down naturally.

Smoothing his hands over Bears head, he held the dog's face and looked down into the liquid brown eyes. "There, all done. You were a good boy, Bear. Mwah!" He kissed the face.

As soon as Bear was released, he bolted. Getting to his feet, Alan went to the distraught young man. "Shall we?" he asked, lifting the scissors and snipping it ominously towards Ray's hair.

"Do what you want," Ray said lifelessly. "Life has no meaning anymore."

Alan patted the strong shoulder. "Come with me," he said. "And I'll give it new meaning."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.4K 66 19
After being caught, tried and arrested for a crime she didn't do; Lexi Hunter has a choice. It's either Juvie or spend the summer on her dad's ranch...
70.9K 2.6K 46
This isn't the story of how the city girl fell for the cowboy, oh no, this story was how the city boy fell for the home grown country girl. Harper w...
147K 6.4K 35
"Dance with me." While I knew it wasn't a demand, it wasn't a question either. I hesitated and he noticed. "Come on Grace, give this gentleman the...
19K 804 23
George's life was perfect up until the age of 17. His father, the person he was closest with, died in a brutal car accident. This left just him and h...