Camp Hyacinth

By IDidntseeyou

Kit and Kim meet on the bus to a camp neither want to be at. At the camp they seem to be ignored and at the c... More

Chapter 1

Prologue

10 1 0
By IDidntseeyou

     "I don't wanna go," Kit told her as she placed the bag full of clothes beside the door.

     His mom just opened the front door, "You're going Kit, we've already discussed this. It's just 2 months," She told him.

     This was stupid to him, he didn't want to go to a camp, "When is the bus gonna be here?" He asked her and she shrugged, "Your dad is going to take you."

     Kit's dad came down the stairs and saw them by the door, "Are we going now?" He asked and his wife nodded.

     "Can you take Kit now? You have to be at the community center in 15 minutes," Kit's mom told his dad and Kit sighed.

     "Ready Kit?" He heard his dad ask, "Let's just get this over with," Kit grumbled, not wanting to go to the camp.

     They both got in the car and Kit sighed, "Why am I going to the camp again?" He asked, annoyed.

     "Just do what your mom says, it's just 2 months," He said, repeating what Kit's mom had said earlier.

     When they got to the community center, there were a bunch of other kids there already, "Great..." Kit said sarcastically.

     "It'll be fine, come on." His dad said, getting out of the car and grabbing the bag that was full of Kit's stuff.

     He went up to an adult with a T-Shirt that said 'Camp Hyacinth', "Hi! And you are?" She asked, holding a clipboard.

     "Kit Mayes?" His dad said and the lady searched the clipboard multiple times before stopping her pen.

     "Kitson?" She questioned, looking between Kit and his dad.

     "Yes, sorry," He apologized.

     The lady smiled and scribbled something down, "Alrighty, could you just stand over there with the other kids?"

     Looking at his dad, annoyed, Kit spoke, "See ya," His dad just gave him his bag, "I'll be back Kit." He said ruffling his son's hair.

     Going over to the crowd of kids, Kit sat on the curb under some shade. The other kids were talking to each other and seemed happy to be going.

     At his side, there was a kid with a handheld console. He looked bored while chewing on some gum.

     He seemed to know Kit was looking at him because he looked up and turned straight towards him. Not saying anything, he blew a bubble at Kit, "Yes?" He asked sarcastically.

     "Nothing," Kit said and looked at his bag, "When does this bus even start moving?" He asked no one but the boy answered, "Around 4."

     Kit pulled out his phone, checking the time, '3:47', "Great," He sighed and heard a chuckle come from the kid next to him, "What?" He asked, confused.

     "Nothing," The kid mocked, laughing while still chewing on the gum loudly.

     "Do you have more?" Kit asked and he looked at him confused,

     He pointed to the bubble he was blowing, "Gum."

     Quickly he nodded, popping the bubble before searching his bag, "Here." He said, holding out a stick of gum for Kit.

     "I'm Kit by the way," He introduced himself, scooting closer to him and waiting for him to introduce himself too.

     For a second he sighed, "Kim," He said, seeming annoyed with his name, but Kit only chewed on the gum.

     "What?" Kit asked, confused as to why he didn't like his name.

     "My name is stupid," Kim whispered, rubbing his face while Kit started trying to form a bubble with the gum.

     Kit shrugged at him, "It's not bad. It seems a bit, well...girlish, but that's your name," He said but Kim just looked at his game.

     Leaning in closer, Kit tried to see what he was playing, "Whatcha playing?" He finally asked, after not recognizing the game.

     "101 games," He said and Kit looked at him confused, "It literally just has 101 games on it," He explained.

     "Which one are you playing?" He asked and Kim popped a bubble in his mouth, making it muffled a bit.

     "Archery," He said, bored, "Wanna try?" He asked and Kit shrugged as Kim gave it to him carefully.

     While figuring out what he was trying to do Kim asked, "So why are you going to this camp? Forced or willing?"

     Kit laughed a bit before answering, "Forced by my mom."

     Kim chuckled and watched as Kit failed the game, "Wow, you're really good at this," He said sarcastically.

     "Shut up." Kit whispered, nudging him with his shoulder.

     They played back and forth for a bit before the adults started to call their names, putting the kids on the bus, "Kimberly?"

     "Kimberly?" Kit whispered and he sighed.

     "I'm here!" He said back to the adult

     "So your name is Kimberly?" Kit teased, looking at him with a playful nudge towards his shoulder.

     He sighed again, "Not a word," He threatened, standing up, "Give." He held out his hand for the handheld console.

     Giving it to him, Kit watched as he got on the bus and sat in one of the seats. He was gonna find a seat next to that kid.

     A minute later he heard his name being called, "Here!" He said back, going to the bus and one of the adults put his bag in the back.

     They looked at him strangely, "What?" Kit asked.

     "Sorry, I thought you were already on the bus, do you have a sibling?"

     Slowly Kit shook his head, "No?"

     "Hmm... alright. Go ahead." They said, letting Kit go on the bus.

     When on the bus, he saw Kim still playing on the handheld. Quietly he went up to him, "Can I sit?" Kit asked and his head turned up to Kit.

     Another bubble gum pop was made at Kit before he scooted over, "Sit," He said, stretching out the gum.

     Kit sat next to him and watched as he played chess in the game, "You know how to play chess?" Kit asked.

     "Nope!" He said quickly, "Trying to learn, and I kinda understand," He told Kit and watched him fail at the game.

     After watching him fail about 3 more rounds at chess he handed it back to Kit, "Here, you play."

     Shrugging, Kim searched through the other games and found a go-kart game, "Can you race?" He asked.

     "We'll see," Kit said, grabbing the game and starting to play.

     Kim watched as he played the game and seemed so focused, "Can you race?" He asked back, seeing if he was any good.

     "Kinda, I can only get to 2nd place," He said, crossing his arms.

     He watched carefully as Kit finished in the first place, to which he grabbed the console out of his hand and accused him of cheating.

     "You're not allowed to play on it anymore," He said childishly.

     "Come on Kim!" Kit said, trying to play again but he shoved him playfully, making Kit fall off of the bus seat.

     Sighing, Kim helped him back into the seat and Kit looked around the bus, mostly the 'adults', who just seemed to be newly graduated high schoolers.

     "So are they like...the counselors?" Kit asked and he nodded slowly.

     "You got a phone on you?" Kim asked and Kit pulled the device from his pocket.

     Immediately Kim forced his hand down, checking to see if any of the counselors had seen the phone.

     "Do you not know anything about summer camps?" Kim asked, annoyed with Kit.

     Kit shook his head, "Never been to one, why?"

     He sighed, "Basically they take your phone and any other electronics." He explained while chewing his gum, "Besides, it won't even work very well, the reception out there is crap."

     "Dang..." Kit whispered back and he chuckled before looking back at the handheld.

     "Don't worry I've been through this plenty of times," Kim reassured, nodding to the device that Kim had looked at.

     Confused, Kit asked, "You've been to this summer camp?"

     "4 times. Been going to it since I was 10." He said, blowing a bubble and the gum popping loudly.

     "14?" Kit asked and he nodded, "Same."

     They kept switching back and forth with the handheld until they reached a wooden arch-like structure near an open area.

     It was in a slightly wooded area, the bus had come down a long trail to the campgrounds. Right beyond the archway was a fire pit with surrounding cabins all over.

     None of the cabins seemed to be in order, some were side to side while others were across from each other.

     "We're here..." Kim whispered and Kit quietly asked, "So what happens now?"

     He just stared forward, "Now...we get our cabins and try not to anger any larger kids alright?" Kim said slowly.

     "Wait what?" Kit asked, confused, but Kim just got up and nodded for him to follow.

     Kim and him got off the bus and grabbed their bags, "Let's just hope we're in the same cabin." He said once they were away from people.

     "So what's the deal with this place?" Kit asked, throwing his bag over his shoulder.

     "Well, it's not the most...safe place for people," He said slowly, choosing his words wisely while walking to a bulletin board.

     The board was full of papers, Kit didn't know what to look at and where to look. Kim seemed to know what he was looking for though.

     "What's your last name?" Kim asked after a second.

     "Mayes," Kit answered and he smiled.

     "Great, cabin 10. Come on." He said, walking towards the bunch of other campers.

     There were a few camp counselors who seemed to be scrambling around, "God where is Jared?!" One of them cried before being trampled by kids.

     Once out of the sea of other campers, Kim ran into the camp and Kit barely made it behind him, "Dude slow down-" Kit called and he only kept running.

     They made way too many twists and turns for Kit to be happy, Kim didn't seem to know where he was going.

     "Why are we-" Kit started but Kim cut him off, "We're almost there."

     When he made it to a large cabin, he stopped, "This is it. Come on you slowpoke-" He said quickly going to the door of the cabin.

     Out of breath, Kit followed behind him into the cabin, "Kim-" He started but ran into his back as he stopped suddenly.

     "Oh sorry, I didn't realize the buses came in already." An older guy said, he didn't look like the other counselors.

     The guy was older, maybe around his 30's, with a clipboard, "Kimberly, correct?" He asked, looking Kim up and down.

     He looked similar to Kim so much that it wasn't father and son but older brother to younger brother.

     "Yeah..." Kim mumbled, getting out of the way of the door, and pulling Kit with him.

     Suddenly the guy's eyes went wide when he looked at Kit, "Are you new?" He asked, staring at Kit.

     Slowly Kit nodded, unsure what to say to him. Something about him made Kit cringe, which he was trying to force himself not to.

     He stretched down to look between the two boys, "Are you...?" He murmured before looking down at a clipboard and writing something down.

     "I'm Mr. Jared." He said, coming closer to the boys, "You're staying in this cabin?" He asked, only looking at Kit.

     "Yes," Kim answered, making Mr. Jared look at him, "I think some counselors were asking for you by the parking lot."

     He stood straight up, "I'll be going then," He whispered, looking at Kit for a few more seconds, "What's your name?" He asked.

     "Kit." He said, not giving him his full name or last name.

     With that, Mr. Jared left, not saying anything else, "G-god who the hell was that?" Kit asked, shuttering.

     "He runs this place." Kim sighed, setting his bag down and stretching upwards, "Don't worry about him. He doesn't usually come around a lot."

     "You guys look alike, you know that?" Kit told him and saw how Kim rolled his eyes and sighed.

     "Yeah, I get that a lot, we aren't related in any way." Kim shut down quickly.

     "Does he usually look at campers that way?" Kit questioned, not liking the feeling he had gotten from that minute-long talk.

     Kim shrugged and looked at one of the bunk beds, "Wanna bunk together?"

     "Sure, why not. Better you than someone I don't know." Kit agreed, looking between the top and bottom bunk.

     "Which one is better?" Kit asked.

     For a second he thought, "The...bottom?" Kim said slowly, looking at him to see which one he would choose.

     "I choose the top." Kit said and Kim blew a raspberry

     "Lame..." He whispered.

     There were 2 sets of bunk beds, along with 2 dressers beside each other, a lamp on one of them. A door in the back corner was what Kit assumed to be the bathroom.

     A window in the back and a window right next to the door, both of them were open with curtains flowing in their direction.

     Smiling a bit, Kit jumped onto the top bunk, "So what now?" He asked him.

     "Now..." He said, holding up his handheld, "We hide this and pray they don't take it away."

Fun Fact: This is written, well edited, while in the middle of a different story. Anyway, that story is on hold as my eyes have been opened to the possibility of short stories...so let's try this shit.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

626K 9.6K 48
Lost, Lose (Loose Trilogy #1) She's a girl of hope, Lisianthus Yvonne Vezina. A teen-year-old girl who focused on her goal... to strive. But everyth...
6.1K 362 6
"𝘿𝙤𝙣'𝙩 𝙩𝙤 𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙨 𝙥𝙡𝙯 , 𝙄 𝙖𝙢 𝙨𝙤𝙧𝙧𝙮" She cried but her 𝙨𝙩𝙚𝙥 𝙢𝙤𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙧 didn't show any mercy and beat her from 𝙄𝙧𝙤𝙣 𝙧𝙤𝙙...
111K 2.6K 12
حسابي الوحيد واتباد 🩶 - حسابي انستا : renad2315
OBSESSED By BVRBIEN

Mystery / Thriller

114K 4.8K 28
obsessed