Wild Creatures

By NebulusCharlie

A WangXian Novel. Wei Ying is walking home one night and finds Lan Zhan, in an alley, passed out. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Tattoos
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146

Chapter 118

713 79 56
By NebulusCharlie

Wei Ying glances at his watch. It's just gone past six o'clock, and Lan Zhan looks as if he wants to say something, so Wei Ying goes to his side.

"That was rather unexpected, the whole thing with Mo XuanYu," he remarks, gesturing to where the young man had been sitting on the sofa.

"Mn."

That was a sort of test by Wei Ying, to see if that was what Lan Zhan had on his mind, but apparently, it wasn't.

And why did Lan Zhan look kind of nervous all of a sudden? And maybe a little embarrassed, too?

Wei Ying pushes him down to sit on the loveseat and straddles his lap, staring intently into his beautiful golden eyes. He's trying to work it out.

Lan Zhan's big hands rest in a comfortable grip on his hips as he looks up, reluctantly.

"You're hiding something!" Wei Ying exclaims suddenly, and triumphantly.

Lan Zhan looks away, wondering how to explain, when there's a fast knocking on the door of the study and four people rush in.

"Is it time yet?" JingYi yells and then A-Yuan hushes him, and they're both giggling with excitement, as they bounce and dance in one place, as only kids can.

Wei Ying quickly gets off his fiancé, willing his face to go back to normal from the tomato red flush. To be fair, he wasn't counting on being interrupted.

"What's going on?" He asks, the question aimed more at the adults who have followed his children inside the room.

"IT'S A SURPRISE!" Both children shout, and this time, XiChen lifts a finger to his lips.

Uncle Qiren merely frowns at the loudness of it all.

"You're going on a date!" JingYi whisper-shouts, and then both boys start laughing again.

"Can we help you, Baba?" A-Yuan asks Wei Ying sweetly.

"Please??" JingYi pouts.

It's all too much for Wei Ying, who looks to Lan Zhan for help. "A date?"

"Mn."

It's a very powerful feeling, being the central focus of that golden gaze.

Lan Zhan takes his hand, as if scared that somehow Wei Ying will fly away unless he holds him close.

"Would Wei Ying like to join me?"

Wei Ying is already nodding, and the children cheer loudly.

Uncle Qiren gives up trying to calm them down, and goes to sit on his chair.

"All of us?" Wei Ying looks around at their children.

"Don't be silly!" JingYi looks affronted as if Wei Ying has a screw loose.

"We're staying with Shifu and XiChen-Gege!" A-Yuan tells him, coming to stand by Wei Ying. "So please can we help you to get ready?"

JingYi comes to stand by A-Yuan and they hold hands, both with twin looks of yearning towards Wei Ying.

"You want to help me? To get ready?" Wei Ying is already in disbelief, and then another thought grips him. "Hang on, why don't you both want to help HIM?" He jerks a thumb towards Lan Zhan, staring at these two little mischievous imps.

"Oh, Zhan-Gege always looks great!" They exclaimed dismissively, as though Wei Ying lived and dressed like a tramp.

He's not sure whether to be offended that they think he needs the help, or that they have a higher opinion of Lan Zhan's taste in fashion. And the whole thing is terribly amusing.

Wei Ying scoops up both children in a sudden hug, laughing as they shriek in delight as Lan Zhan looks on fondly, while Wei Ying swings them around. They're clearly in awe because up until now, only MingJue had done that to them.

Lan Zhan feels smug that his fiancé is so much stronger these days, a far cry from the days of him feeling dizzy and weak.

Wei Ying collapses on the couch with happy red-faced kids chortling and laughing, happy sounds echoing around the room. This house might not be used to such honest expressions of feelings, but Wei Ying is happy that the kids are. In the end, that's all that matters.

"You can't see Zhan-Gege before you're both ready!" JingYi announces. He sneaks a look at A-Yuan and adds, "it wouldn't be fair!"

A-Yuan quickly agrees when he hears that, and Wei Ying realises that these two are going to be a formidable match in the future, especially if they set their minds to something.

"Is that so?" Lan Zhan says, in his deliciously deep voice, evidently taking what they've said seriously. "I believe JingYi is right." He stands up while JingYi sticks his little chest out full of pride.

"Me, too?" A-Yuan says, standing next to him.

"Mn, both of you. I shall retrieve my clothes and dress in another room. Wei Ying can wear what the children decide." And he walks away.

"I'm gonna look like a clown!" Wei Ying yells at his back, grinning because Lan Zhan turns his face by half and gives him the hottest smirk.

"So be it." He replies with a smug wink.

Wei Ying groans dramatically and hides his face in his elbow. He was going to be at the mercy of these two little menaces...putty in their hands.

*************

Lan Zhan sends Wei Ying a text with "All clear" and a clown emoji, and JingYi sees it before it can be hidden away. With a whoop and a jump, suddenly he and A-Yuan are dragging him up the stairs to Lan Zhan's suite. In their bedroom, the children climb on the bed and sit down on it expectantly, as if they're going to watch a show.

Wei Ying is actually feeling nervous.

He's not allowing himself to think about where Lan Zhan might want to take him, or what they might be doing on the actual date. The general idea in his head is that he must wear something special, something that shows off his assets, and that gives him another idea.

Obviously, Lan Zhan told everyone about his plan except Wei Ying, because he wanted it to be a surprise and that was understandable, but Wei Ying could definitely take that a step further. He giggles to himself imagining Lan Zhan's face when he sees what Wei Ying is going to wear.

Of course, that brings to mind the real question: what exactly should he wear? Has he even got any clothes suitable in this closet worth wearing to a date?

His question is answered when he opens the double doors and realises that Lan Zhan is the best fiancé in the world, because somehow, the man has filled all the hangers with his clothes.

Some, he recognises, and others are new, and Wei Ying stifles the urge to cry. His Lan Zhan is so thoughtful, so caring, and just so, so good, it makes Wei Ying fall in love with him a little bit more. It seems silly to think that, because Wei Ying has often thought his heart was overflowing with love for his gorgeous man, and then Lan Zhan goes and does something nice for him, for them, and that heart just expands, growing ever fuller.

"The sparkly one!" JingYi yells, bringing him back from his emotional plunge.

"No! The one with the flowers! The red one!" A-Yuan says in a much calmer voice.

Wei Ying pulls himself together and takes both items out, holding them one at a time, against his slim frame. "Which one?"

The sparkly one has rhinestones around the collar but it's short sleeved, and Wei Ying shivers, thinking about the coolness of the evenings these days, and he puts it back, stifling a smile when JingYi groans. The red one with the flowers has lacey sleeves, also not appropriate for the time of year.

"But Xian-Gege, you HAVE to look nice!" JingYi protests with a pout.

"Hold on, hold on," Wei Ying tells them, looking for anything with longer sleeves, and he comes across a lovely jacket.

This has definitely got bad boy vibes. It's a dark, dark red leather, cut in a form fitting style, leaving nothing to the imagination. The zip pockets are slashes at intervals with a high collar and tight sleeves, the length reaching to his knees. Wei Ying slips it on, testing it for fit, and laughs to himself as the children whoop and cheer again, clearly liking this choice.

Wei Ying glances at himself in the mirror, liking the way it narrows at his waist and flares out behind him, giving his backside much needed room. Whatever he pairs with this has got to be fitted for this ensemble to be comfortable.

Looking back into the closet, he sees two possible shirt options, and a giggle bursts out of his mouth at the thought of what Lan Zhan is going to think when he sees this.

One is a black fitted shirt that will cling to him like a second skin, with gold embroidery on one shoulder that drifts along the sleeve, and the second black shirt is plain, obviously fitted...but then he sees the back.

He knows it's the one.

Whistling to himself because this job is three quarters done, Wei Ying picks a slim fit pair of trousers that might hide nothing if he takes his jacket off, or even better, if 'someone' takes his jacket off for him...

"Wait until I put these on, hm?" Wei Ying says, turning around to face disappointed children. "I have to hurry because it's your dinnertime," the parent in him comes out, and he smiles at them. "Give me five minutes."

A-Yuan gives him two thumbs up and JingYi is vibrating with excitement, waiting for him to hurry up.

Inside the bathroom, Wei Ying quickly changes into his clothes, noting with some degree of satisfaction that the trousers are more than tight; he's had to slide into them slowly, easing them up his thighs and struggling to get the waist past his rump. How did people get into something like this on the daily? Luckily, the fabric has stretch and they're not uncomfortable at all, and when he's done? It's definitely worth it!

When he finally puts the jacket on, he's delighted with how he looks, but there's something missing, and his eyes fall on the familiar makeup bag that Lan Zhan has thoughtfully left for him on the counter.

What a sweet man!

Before he gets started on that, Wei Ying combs out his long hair, wincing at the few tangles he encounters. He plays with a few styles before deciding to wear it up because tonight, he wants nothing to impede Lan Zhan's view of his back, not even his signature ponytail. But the red ribbon stays.

For a few seconds, Wei Ying stares at his reflection in the mirror, imagining his mother standing next to him with her arms around his shoulders, smiling back at him. His mother used to wear a ribbon like this in her hair, and Wei Ying smiles at the thought, before securing his hair into a loose but secure bun. A few wisps escape, framing his face, and he loves it. The ribbon is wound at the base of it, tied with a neat bow.

Now, for the final touch.

Wei Ying quickly applies a light foundation and then streaks a line of glittering smoky eyeshadow, expertly blending it just so to match his eyes. There's a clear version and he puts just a dab of it onto his cheeks, spreading it so thinly that it shimmers only when the light hits it just so. Then, it's time for his eyes. This occasion calls for drama and Wei Ying lines the tops of his eyes and adds wings, just a touch to make him look dangerous. A little lip cream to enhance his natural colour, and then Wei Ying gives himself a final look in the mirror, before walking out to face his too-honest critics.

The children are playing patty cake, facing each other and singing a silly rhyme, and Wei Ying has been silent in coming out, bracing himself for their reactions.

A-Yuan notices him first and he squeals so loudly, it hurts Wei Ying's ears.

"Baba! You look BEAUTIFUL!" He climbs off the bed and comes to hug Wei Ying's thigh, looking up at him with full round cheeks and the dimple in his chin winking mercilessly at his father.

Wei Ying is furiously blinking back tears, not wanting to ruin his makeup, and he immediately crouches down to envelope his son in a fierce hug. JingYi jumps down from the bed and joins them, and the three of them end up giggling uncontrollably, a shared joy that refuses to be tamped down upon.

"Ten out of ten!" JingYi whispers in his ear, making Wei Ying blush. "You're going to knock his socks off!"

Wait till Lan Zhan sees his back, Wei Ying thinks, smiling so widely that his cheeks hurt.

Each child takes one of his hands each and they walk down the winding stairs slowly.

Wei Ying wonders what Lan Zhan has chosen to wear, and a sudden bout of nerves grips his body so that he's trembling with anticipation. Luckily, neither of the kids notice.

Lan Zhan is talking to his brother and they have just left the study, reaching the bottom of the stairs and still engrossed in their conversation.

"Are you sure, Xiongzhang? We can come back-" Lan Zhan is saying.

"I'm sure, Didi. As long as you return on time to take them to school tomorrow morning, we're good. Now, turn around." XiChen smiles and holds out his hands for the children to join him.

Lan Zhan is great at doing what his brother tells him to do. That's the last thought in his head, as he turns around and goes blank upon seeing Wei Ying standing on the last step.

He vaguely hears the children calling out their goodnights, and giggling as they're led away by an efficient uncle, but honestly, Lan Zhan could not have made himself care if the manor was burning to ashes all around them, because of Wei Ying.

His mouth goes dry.

He allows himself the time to really appreciate the view, because Wei Ying is simply stunning.

On an ordinary day, his beloved is beautiful. Lan Zhan has been thinking lately that he's so lucky because he gets to wake up this gorgeous man every morning, but when Wei Ying makes an effort? Lucky doesn't even begin to cover it.

And Lan Zhan doesn't stand a chance.

Those gorgeous silver eyes are flashing like diamonds in the sky, just as priceless and beautiful as their counterparts.

Wei Ying heard voices coming closer and he wanted to bolt back upstairs and hide in the bathroom, but the children seemed to sense his nerves and squeeze his hands, giving him silent encouragement.

He forces himself to keep going, and then his eyes catch Lan Zhan and stay glued there.

Lan Zhan has made an effort.

With a capital 'E'.

He's wearing a pale blue silk jacket, fitted to emphasise his broad shoulders and narrow hips, pairing it with matching fitted trousers, and a cream silk shirt, open at the collar with a couple of buttons undone. There's no tie. But...it's the waistcoat that steals the show. Hugging his torso with golden threads shimmering in silk, a brocade that weaves a pattern of clouds and flowers if you look close enough, and Wei Ying decides he's going to do just that, stepping off the last step.

But he misjudges the distance and stumbles, just in time for Lan Zhan to steady him with his big hands on Wei Ying's waist. Wei Ying's hands land on Lan Zhan's shoulders, and
he looks up into blazing amber eyes like liquid gold staring back at him.

Time seems to stand still as they drink in this moment, as if seeing each other for the first time ever.

Lan Zhan has also worn some makeup, and it's more subtle than what Wei Ying is wearing, but still it brings out the gold in his eyes, making him appear even more intense than usual. Lan Zhan is glowing, his natural beauty shining openly on his face.

Wei Ying is breathless simply by being this close to him, something aching heavily in his chest as he drowns in the love he has for this beautiful, handsome man, someone he gets to call his own. His eyes drift down to Lan Zhan's lips and he wants a taste, because they look so ripe and soft.

Wei Ying licks his own lips, tasting the dark cherry flavour of his lip cream, noting the way Lan Zhan's eyes follow the action.

This is the sweetest torture, to be this close, the anticipation a live wire crackling between them, burning them both with the sparks of their attraction for each other. Unconsciously, they sway towards one another, the temptation too strong to resist, and then they're kissing.

Lan Zhan takes his time tonight, savouring the sweetness that always lies in these kisses, deep, drugging kisses that seem to last forever. The softness of Wei Ying's cheek pressed against his own; the scent of lotus flowers drifting all around him, the needy little whimpers that turn into moans, and the tangible desire that rocks through their bodies, burning away any restraint.

Self control goes flying out the window as Lan Zhan holds Wei Ying tighter, relishing his whine at needing more, and enjoying the way Wei Ying chases after his mouth, sighing with contentment when their tongues curl together in a mating dance to rival all others. Sweet, hot tingles break out all over his skin and his hands tighten their grip on Wei Ying's waist, moulding his body to Lan Zhan's own.

This is bliss, this is heaven, this is everything.

It is a tumble through space and time, a free falling into the intensity of love in its rarest form, raw, stripped back and fierce, electricity sparking through his veins as Wei Ying drifts into a different mind space.

Sandalwood, spicy and clean, pervades his senses and his fingers crush the delicate silk of Lan Zhan's shirt as he holds on for dear life. He feels out of control, drifting on the currents of this force that wreaks havoc inside his heart. It's beating so fast that Wei Ying feels lightheaded with his emotions, clinging to Lan Zhan like he's the only anchor in this tempestuous sea.

Wei Ying sways when Lan Zhan leans back, smug satisfaction all over his face. His hands cover Wei Ying's, which are still clenching his shirt so desperately.

"Oh," Wei Ying says, as he notices it too, "I'm sorry, I've wrinkled your shirt! You look so good, Lan Er-Gege..." and his eyes drift back up, apologetically. He tries to move his hands, but Lan Zhan's grip tightens, indicating that he doesn't care about his shirt at all.

Lan Zhan's eyes have darkened to just a rim of gold around deep, black orbs, concentrating on only him.

Wei Ying shivers with need, as Lan Zhan leans in to whisper in his ear.

"It matters not. We will not be wearing clothes for much longer."

************

Even though the children said their goodnights earlier, Wei Ying seeks them out. They're playing snap in the study with XiChen, packing up after their games because it's dinnertime, but they're overjoyed when their parents return to kiss them as per their nightly routine.

"Zhan-Gege looks nice, too," the children whisper to each other, as they wave goodbye night after more hugs.

Wei Ying laughs as Lan Zhan pulls him away, too eager to wait any longer.

"I think they were more invested in this way more than we were!" He giggles, and the sound makes Lan Zhan stop and turn around, just to fully appreciate him.

Wei Ying sounds happy, looks happier than he has been lately, and more importantly, his blood smells better than ever. Fresh lotus flowers and creamy vanilla surround him, and Lan Zhan closes his eyes, too aware that these joyous feelings are being concentrated by the only man to have any power over him.

Wei Ying is using his gift to influence the feelings already present in Lan Zhan, to magnify what's already there into something a hundred times better, and Lan Zhan feels cocooned, wrapped up in absolute love.

Gentle fingers touch his cheek as Wei Ying comes closer, hugging him.

"How long have you been planning this?" He whispers, scared to disturb the mood.

Lan Zhan thinks about this.

"I have been wanting to take Wei Ying on a date since our first kiss," he admits, a little sheepishly.

"No way!" Wei Ying narrows his eyes at him in disbelief.

"Maybe not exactly what we are going to do, but the desire to treat Wei Ying well was definitely there." Lan Zhan smiles at him.

"You always treat me well. Tonight, I'm going to return the sentiment," Wei Ying promises.

"No." Lan Zhan cradles his cheek, appreciating the way the light catches his soft skin.

"No?" Wei Ying leans into his touch helplessly, giving him a wicked grin.

"No." Lan Zhan replies, placing a chaste kiss upon his forehead. "Tonight is for Wei Ying, and Wei Ying alone. Tonight, it is only about us. Wei Ying is not allowed to think about anything else for one night. No vampires, no trouble, nothing to worry about."

"Oh my God," Wei Ying clutches his heart, whining. He had wanted to act coy, to tease Lan Zhan a bit, but simply with his words, Lan Zhan had disarmed him completely.

"Wei Ying has been giving himself to everyone else up until now. It is enough. This is only one night I ask of him. Xiongzhang and Uncle are going to look after the boys, that is why I had to tell them of my plans. Once they learned it was for you, do you know what they said?" Lan Zhan takes his hand and guides him towards the door.

"What did they say?" Wei Ying can't believe it.

Lan Zhan is being so romantic, and caring for him in such a wonderful way that Wei Ying feels like a puddle of all his emotions, when residual oil makes rainbow colours dance over the surface in a magical way.

"They said, Baba/Wei-Gege has been looking after us all this time, we should do something special for him. So I told them that I would take care of it, and you, and they were not to worry." Lan Zhan opens the car door for him.

"They're so sweet! Lan Zhan, how did we get so lucky with our boys?" Wei Ying says, once Lan Zhan gets into the driver's seat, sure that there must be something wrong with his eyes because they keep leaking without warning.

He grabs a tissue and carefully wipes under them, careful not to ruin his makeup. He's extremely glad that he's looking good for Lan Zhan tonight. He remembers the thrill that shot up and down his back at the naked hunger in Lan Zhan's beautiful golden eyes.

"Mn, we are lucky," Lan Zhan agrees, his expression becoming even warmer.

There's a moment when Lan Zhan looks over at him, after he has fastened Wei Ying's seat belt, a fraction of time that simply stops. In this car, there are only the two of them, and yet it feels like the deepest connection.

It's a flashbulb moment, an image that will forever stay with them.

Wei Ying can see himself with Lan Zhan all through their lives, no matter how long it will be, always together through the highs and lows, and the changes that will inevitably arrive at their doorstep. Their children will grow up, find their own partners to love, marry and be parents themselves, and yet Wei Ying and Lan Zhan will still be together, forever in love.

Wei Ying doesn't say anything to Lan Zhan; there's no need to share it - it hasn't happened yet, there's only the implied feelings, the surety of it occurring - but something changes in this moment.

He feels even closer to Lan Zhan if that were possible, and it makes a warmth spread inside him, growing strong, sure and sweet, spreading from his heart to encompass his whole body. He can feel his love shining through his eyes to envelope Lan Zhan completely, a promise of forever.

Wei Ying blinks and Lan Zhan smiles, that faintest of movements if it can even be called that, the corners of his mouth turning up ever so slightly, and then he puts the car into gear, and they're off.

It takes Wei Ying's mind a few minutes to reboot, after all, it isn't every day that a life altering epiphany makes itself known to him, and he thinks he should be allowed some leeway in this. When he's sufficiently recovered, he looks out of the window and tries to guess where they're going. He can feel Lan Zhan smiling, and his amusement at some of Wei Ying's most outrageous destinations is another kind of warmth that fills him up.

He's allowed to have this.

Wei Ying can be himself, warts and all, with Lan Zhan. He can be angry, sad, upset, happy, joyful and tender, however he's feeling, he knows for certain that Lan Zhan will accept it, will accept him and love him anyway. Wei Ying doesn't have to hide his feelings, or make excuses to cover anything up:

Lan Zhan loves Wei Ying for who he is. It's that simple.

They pull up outside a plain looking building.

There are no signs outside, no specific address, nothing to indicate where they are, or what they're going to do.

Once again, Lan Zhan is out of his door as soon as they've parked, and is opening Wei Ying's door for him.

"Why do you do that? You know I'm perfectly able to open it myself, right?" Wei Ying leans up to press a sweet kiss on Lan Zhan's cheek, a reward for being so caring.

"Mn. But just because you can, doesn't mean you should have to. Plus, I like doing things for Wei Ying," he adds with a stubborn pout.

Wei Ying giggles, totally charmed by him. He takes Lan Zhan's proffered arm and looks up at the dark building.

"Shouldn't there be lights on, or something? Are you sure we're at the right place? Where exactly are we supposed to be, anyway?"

"It's a surprise," Lan Zhan tells him, kissing the top of his curious head.

He locates a black card and scans it in, and the doors open automatically.

"Why do you have a key card?" Wei Ying asks him, wanting to know, but at the same time, in jaw-dropping awe.

They have gone back in time to a place that is ostentatious but in the best possible ways.

It is tastefully decorated, this foyer, all gold and scarlet from the carpet to the walls, with a cream fresco ceiling that holds a plaster work of the galaxy above them. Framed pictures of the Universe, the clusters of stars that make up definitive nebulae with their names underneath decorate the walls, and Wei Ying is distracted by how beautiful everything is.

It feels like a homage to the skies, a place in the Universe where a shiny blue ball called Earth by its inhabitants goes hurtling through space.

"I designed this building," Lan Zhan tells him in a low voice.

"Huh? You did?" Wei Ying's brain catches up to the present conversation, reminding him of what he had asked.

"Mn. As a thank you, the owners gave me this key and told me I could bring anyone I liked here for the full experience. So we have come here tonight."

"When was it finished?"

"Three years ago."

"And was it, like, a one time deal?"

Lan Zhan nods.

"And you brought me?" Wei Ying wants to squeal. His Lan Zhan is so cute! All embarrassed and wanting to be anywhere except in this conversation. Wei Ying giggles with delight, pressing himself closer to Lan Zhan's side.

"There wasn't anyone else I wanted to share this with," Lan Zhan agrees, joining up the dots in Wei Ying's head.

He gets another cheek kiss for being bashful, and a noise leaves his lips, a sound of wanting something just out of reach.

A maitre d' pops up out of nowhere, dressed in a sharp black suit with a bow tie, and bows. He leads them to a lift on the side hidden by a potted plant.

Wei Ying is feeling giddy at how lovely everything is. Even the inside of the elevator is maroon and gold, and there's only one button, which Lan Zhan encourages him to press. It's obviously an expensive place, probably exclusive to some weird secret club with hidden members all over the world, but Wei Ying doesn't care about that.

Lan Zhan had one chance to bring someone here, a one time visit, and he chose to bring Wei Ying!

He feels treasured and so, so lucky.

The elevator stops after an indiscernible amount of time; Wei Ying is sure it must have been seconds but it feels comfortably just right, and then the door opens into another matching gold and maroon foyer, like the one below.

Another waiter, in the same sharply tailored black suit with a white shirt, is waiting for them outside the lift. He, too, bows and leads them past the double doors into another room, this one dimly lit and reeking of wealth.

The deep blue carpet under their feet is plush and thick, their feet sinking into its softness.

Wei Ying looks around while Lan Zhan speaks with the waiter.

There are ten tables scattered around this large room, all with white tablecloths that look pale blue in this semi darkness.

The walls are a plain dusky pink with pink and purple LED lights winking on the walls, and high above them in the domed ceiling, white LED lights twinkle above them. Wei Ying tries not to stumble into any furniture as they are guided to their table, because he's far too busy looking around himself than to watch where he's going.

Soft, gentle classical music plays, surrounding them with good vibes.

They are led to the only table with a single lit candle in the centre, and beautiful white flowers climbing up the outside glass cylinder housing it. The waiter pulls out their chairs for them as Lan Zhan indicates he should do that for Wei Ying first.

When they're seated, two gold menus are put in front of them. They're the kind with lots of fancy writing and no prices, and Wei Ying is feeling a little nervous. He's never been to a restaurant as fancy as this.

Sensing movement, he looks up to see Lan Zhan stretching his hand out for Wei Ying to hold. They smile together.

"What's wrong? If Wei Ying doesn't want to eat here, we can go somewhere else," Lan Zhan tells him, concerned about the way Wei Ying's blood has changed from excited and happy to uncertain and uncomfortable.

"There's nothing wrong, it's just that I haven't ever been to a restaurant like this before. I don't know what to expect." He's glad he's being honest and forthcoming.

To his surprise, Lan Zhan looks relieved.

"Wei Ying has nothing to worry about. Everything is on the house, and there's a reason why we are the only guests here." Lan Zhan lifts up their hands in the smoothest move and twists them lightly to press a loving kiss on the back of Wei Ying's hand.

"On the house?" Wei Ying echoes, wincing when it comes out as a squeak.

"Mn."

"But you're not going to be able to eat...?"

"I am not hungry. However, Wei Ying must get whatever he likes. Please choose something tasty." Lan Zhan pushes the menu towards him, and doesn't let go of his left hand.

Wei Ying doesn't really know what he's doing and decides to trust in the Universe by picking option six. There's also a drinks menu and that is thankfully something he does understand, and with the waiter's help, picks a red wine to compliment his food. The menus are taken away, and Wei Ying gets to drown in those gorgeous golden eyes lit up with an air of mystery by the candlelight.

Shadows flicker with the flame, and this moment feels so much more intimate now.

"What does Wei Ying think of the restaurant so far?" Lan Zhan whispers, bringing Wei Ying's hand up to his mouth so he can nibble gently on his beautiful fingers. Wei Ying is delicious all over, he thinks, avidly awaiting his reply.

"Well, it's not a normal one," Wei Ying whispers, keeping his voice low so he's not overheard by anyone wishing to retaliate by spitting in his food. "The thing is, I was always told that the way to pick a good restaurant was to judge by how many people were eating there...but here, there's just us."

Lan Zhan actually laughs, he's so surprised.

"What? It's the truth!" Wei Ying beams at him. He's never heard Lan Zhan make that noise before, and he wants to do that again!

"This restaurant is fully booked for three years ahead," Lan Zhan informs him, still smiling.

"What? That's amazing!"

The waiter suddenly appears next to them and pours out two glasses. Lan Zhan doesn't stop him, so Wei Ying also doesn't say anything, waiting for him to leave so they can carry on talking.

He picks up his glass and takes a sip, startled because it tastes so good.

"Mn?" Lan Zhan gestures towards the glass, a brow raised in question.

"It's really nice," Wei Ying drinks some more to prove it. "But if they're booked for that long, why is it empty now?"

Lan Zhan looks really smug.

"I bought all the other tickets. I wanted us to be alone," he replies, smirking.

Wei Ying lets that sink in.

"Wait a minute. You're saying you have a complimentary ticket to this exclusive, once-in-a-lifetime, super expensive place?"

"Mn."

"For free?"

"Mn."

"But you still went ahead and bought them out? Just so we could be alone?" He sounds incredulous.

"Mn." Lan Zhan is a little uncertain now. "Why? Is that a problem?" He asks, wondering if he should do something about how Wei Ying is feeling.

"Um...no. It's just...I'm going to put it down to eccentricity," Wei Ying finally says, because try as he might, he can't get this. Brain does not compute.

"Mn. There's a very good reason," Lan Zhan adds.

"What?"

"It's a surprise. But I will say, I didn't want it to be ruined by others talking when it should be appreciated in silence."

"Oh. So I shouldn't talk?" Wei Ying wishes he could think before speaking sometimes, because he's just managed to upset Lan Zhan.

"No, not at all. Wei Ying should speak whenever he wants to. I just meant that others can be... distracting, to the point of ruining what can be a most illuminating experience. Not the eating part," he suddenly clarifies, realising that Wei Ying has no idea what is to come. "Trust me."

"Of course." Wei Ying promises, meaning it.

He trusts Lan Zhan more than anyone else in the world, and being reminded of that makes him relax, and makes him feel so much better. He's safe, he's with Lan Zhan, and Lan Zhan has told him that tonight is just for him. If he's nervous about this place, it's only because it's unconventional, nothing else. His tense shoulders release the stress he hadn't known he was carrying, and Wei Ying feels much better.

His food arrives and smells wonderful, the flavourful steam rising from it making his mouth water. Conversation is meagre but Wei Ying doesn't mind.

In a way, he's really glad that Lan Zhan and himself have approached their relationship in the reverse, most odd way. They met, fell in love, unofficially adopted children together, and a younger brother, and now they are to marry. It doesn't make sense, and probably wouldn't to others, but to them, it's the best way because it's theirs.

Wei Ying is sure that, had this been his and Lan Zhan's first date without getting to know each other, it would not have gone as well as this one is. In fact, it would have been awkward and uncomfortable for both of them.

Lan Zhan insists on Wei Ying ordering dessert, his attention on Wei Ying making the latter feel cherished and loved.

"I'm stuffed!" Exclaims Wei Ying, leaning back in his chair and rubbing his belly.

"Would Wei Ying like anything else?"

Wei Ying is mesmerised by the look in those golden orbs, like shining crystal balls full of magic and wonder. He shakes his head, feeling like he's part of a dream that is going to last forever.

"Then let's go over here."

Lan Zhan helps him up and leads him to two reclining chairs, the kind that remind Wei Ying of the massage chairs they want you to try out in the malls. They are side by side and look very comfortable and expensive.

"These weren't here before, were they?" Wei Ying asks, glancing up at him.

"No, I asked for them. I do not want Wei Ying to hurt his neck," Lan Zhan says, gently pushing him down.

There's a blanket on the armrest which he drapes over Wei Ying's legs, with an enigmatic smile. Lan Zhan settles in the seat next to him, and reclines the backs of both of their chairs so they're looking up at the ceiling.

Wei Ying stills, at first wondering what he's supposed to be looking at, when suddenly there's a soft whirring sound and the roof above them begins to open.

Right up there, Wei Ying can see the midnight sky and all the beautiful stars twinkling high up above them. Some of the formations he can name, and he hopes to impress Lan Zhan with the little he knows, but it's Lan Zhan who ends up astonishing him even more.

Lan Zhan knows all their names. In Latin as well as English and most of their names in Chinese, too.

Wei Ying is shocked, most pleasantly, because he thought he knew everything there was to know about Lan Zhan, and then he finds out something new.

Lan Zhan points at the full moon.

"Did you know the story behind why the moon has cycles?" He asks Wei Ying, watching his face.

When XiChen had reminded him of this place, and his free ticket, Lan Zhan hadn't been sure if Wei Ying would like such a date, where essentially, all they were going to do was eat and lie down afterwards, and he wanted to make it as memorable as he could for his fiancé.

He knew Wei Ying hadn't really dated anyone in his past, and ye wanted their first date to be extra special. Now, looking at the wonder on Wei Ying's face, his rapt attention on what he was saying, it makes e everything worth it.

Wei Ying reaches across his seat to hold Lan Zhan's hand.

"Are you going to tell me?" He smiles back at him.

Lan Zhan feels it all at once. A powerful wave of love rushes through him, leaving him weak all over. This tingling feeling, a rush of joy, exuberance and affection floods through his system.

This man, Wei Ying, is his everything.

"Do you know why I brought you here?" He says, instead of answering Wei Ying's question.

Wei Ying gets up and motions that he wants to share Lan Zhan's seat. Lan Zhan opens his arms and Wei Ying settles himself, half lying on Lan Zhan's chest.

"There, that's much better," Wei Ying says, and Lan Zhan can hear the smile in his voice. "You were too far away," he whispers. "Now, tell me." He snuggles closer, filling Lan Zhan with his lovely fragrance of lotus flowers and vanilla.

"Because of your beautiful eyes," Lan Zhan says. "Every time I look into them, I am reminded of the beauty in the sky, of these wonderful stars that shine without fail, no matter what. Each piece of crystal light up there is reflected in the colour of your eyes. If I miss Wei Ying, I only need to look up at the stars, and I am home."

He can feel his shirt getting wet, and it cannot be helped. This is how Lan Zhan feels and tonight, he is merely opening his heart.

It's a while later that Wei Ying says, "tell me the story of the moon."

Lan Zhan speaks softly, his voice the only sound in the room. He tells Wei Ying of a Moon who was a man, who fell in love with a formation of stars, the eldest sister of twenty-seven sisters. Their father tells the Moon that the sisters will not be separated, therefore the Moon must marry all of them, and on the condition that he is able to treat them all equally. The Moon promises his soon to be father-in-law and the marriage goes ahead. But soon afterwards, twenty-six sisters go back home to complain to their father that the Moon was unfairly spending all of his time with their eldest sister, instead of being equal with his attention.

Their father became extremely angry and went to see the Moon, and saw with his own eyes how much the Moon was only doting on his eldest daughter and neglecting his other wives. So he cursed the Moon to expire, to perish in his wrath.

The Moon was terrified and raced towards Lord Shiva, for clemency, begging to be saved. A terrible fight ensued between the father of the twenty-seven star constellations and Lord Shiva, but in the end, it was Lord Shiva who emerged victorious. He forced the Moon's father-in-law to rescind his curse, turning into something weaker because the Moon promised to change his ways.

So the Father-in-law said from then on, the Moon would go through two fortnight cycles where he would wax and wane, and then grow back into his lustrous beauty once every month.

Lan Zhan has been listening to Wei Ying's heart all the while telling him this story. It calmed slowly until each beat was steady and peaceful, in tune with his slow, even breaths.

Wei Ying was fast asleep, and that was okay.

Now, it was time for phase two of their extra special date.

***********

Dear Beautiful Readers,

Ah, this one surely spun out of control. It's not my fault, WangXian will be themselves and there's nothing we can do!

I hope it's worth the wait, and it's a longer chapter because of it. I didn't want to cut their date in half and ruin the flow.

Thank you so much for sticking with me until now on this book, and we've officially crossed the 360K word count. I can't believe it...

Anyway, here's some chocolate 🍫 🍫🍫🍫🍫to celebrate!

Charlie

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.5K 2K 72
Wei Ying and Lan Zhan must step up to the new challenge that awaits them when they find something that was given to them in secret. What is it, and w...
64K 4.3K 12
Lan WangJi met Wei WuXian 13 years later since they lost each other in high school. Reconnecting on a music festival, they were slowly unraveling the...
6.2K 435 11
Wei Wuxian being himself and immortal and the cultivation world going insane because of him. And Lan Wangji is helplessly in love. The Yiling Laozu w...
Ghost By

Romance

9.2K 1K 16
Lan Zhan has been beaten nearly to death. He doesn't want to live. His Wei Ying is dead or is he? Suddenly Wei Ying is talking to Lan Zhan but is he...