Exotic II, finnick odair

Af TreadmillzFault

To Jenesis Hammaz, surviving the 69th Annual Hunger Games was just the beginning to her horror. Coming home... Mere

Part Two Graphics
~ Character Update
~ Jenesis Hammaz
~ The Victors Life
~ Children of War
~ Stargirl

~ Dance With The Devil

313 11 20
Af TreadmillzFault

• Above is the dress Jenesis wears for District 7
• Below is the jumpsuit Jenesis wore for District 4

Scene 4, Act 1 ; When the demons pretend to care.

Isn't it funny? The demons themselves don't know they live in hell with satan.

The world went by in a flash. Jenesis sat stiffly in an empty train cart as she watched the outside world flash before her. Everything was green and brown. Flashes of green trees that stretched farther than the window would let her see, and flat ground that appeared brown and grey. The train was moving fast, and Jenesis—unfortunately, was moving with it. If the trees had eyes, they too are watching her go past them in a blur. Perhaps they were seeing the girl with artificially curled hair, and in a dress that looked too similar to their leaves.

Jenesis watched the outside carefully. The leaves on the trees looking as if they were falling one by one. Distributing themselves into the air. Which ultimately caused the allusion of thousands of trees pressed up against the train.

The low melody played for the 6th time this morning since Jenesis got up.

As district 7 approached by the second, Jenesis made no effort to think about the pain that swelled in her stomach. She ignored the knife that was shoved deep into her lungs— robbing her of oxygen that wasn't contaminated by death and grief.

She had accepted that her heart wasn't allowed to beat without the thought of her deceased ally's. She wasn't allowed to not think of them. She wasn't allowed to pretend to be okay as she entered the place they once called home. Jenesis didn't comfort herself when the crooked voice of a drowning man told her that she; murdered a girl that used to pick spice leaves in the forest with her sister. 

Instead, she welcomed the voices with open arms. Allowing them to get stuck in her throat and wrap their echoes around her neck. Quenching her need to eat and desire to speak after leaving her room.

So here Jenesis was, quiet and observing. Openly accepting doom and dread into her arms with a warm embrace.

Leaves from the vine, she hummed in her head as the thick foliage of light and dark coloured trees became the only thing she could see.

Falling so slow, like fragile tiny shells drifting in the foam.

Jenesis let her gaze drift to the door of the train cart she was in. There they were. Her two ally's standing side by side with soft looks on their faces. A tall boy with dark skin presented her with a smile that held a never ending amount of jokes ready to unleash. His eyes pure and filled with joy even after the brutal end he met. Then a tiny and skinny girl—flashing the most cheekiest grin with her arms crossed

Little soldiers, I'm in your home.

Jenesis finished the song in her head just as the train door opened.

The two figures of the dead kids she once knew disappeared, and were quickly replaced by another woman and man.

Finnick and Mags stood at the entrance of the door with what Jenesis immediately recognized as eyes of pity.

It took Jenesis a moment to realize that the two figures were gone, so was her somber peace, and her freedom to speak horrendous words to herself.

Jenesis silently turned to the train window. 

She could see Finnick and Mag exchange looks with one another from the corner of her eye. Jenesis saw how Finnick pulled out subtle sign language on one hand, and she placed her full attention on the greenery just as Mags began to respond.

Jenesis welcomed the speed of time with fascination as she watched the green blur past her.  It wasn't long before the sound of footsteps came in her direction. The two must've finally decided to approach her to say whatever positive words Jenesis was sure they had ready.

" Yes?" She asked the moment Finnick and Mags sat down.

Her tone was cold. Too cold and harsh. It hit Jenesis when she saw the flash of hurt that gleamed in Finnick's eyes, and her brain scurried to send an apology to her tongue—but her tongue never twisted, and her mouth didn't open.

The gleam was gone quicker than Jenesis's words. She stared at them as Finnick inhaled a deep breath. Clearly collecting his thoughts so he could poke the bear—that Jenesis knew she currently was—as gently as possible.

" We have an assumption, and we mean no harm by it." Finnick started with caution in his voice. 

Jenesis blinked at the pair. " Okay."

" —Would me and Mags be wrong if we assumed you're allowing yourself to self destruct?" Finnick asked like more of a question rather than a statement. " And that you're telling yourself you deserve all of this?"

Deny. But Jenesis couldn't. It was so accurate it hurt.

" No." Jenesis replied lowly. " You wouldn't be."

For a moment they all stared at each other. As if they were all eating breakfast together back in district four. Jenesis quickly got rid of the image. Bitterly reminding herself that she wasn't in four eating breakfast, and she was actually in district 7–the home of her dead ally's.

Jenesis didn't wait for Finnick and Mags to figure out what they would say next since she had easily confirmed their assumptions. Now that they knew, what was their next step? What words would they conjure up for her in order to provide her comfort for what was about to come?

" It feels like the trees are closing in on me." Jenesis said as she watched the green blur past her. " It feels slow, but I could tell it's happening."

Jenesis turned back to look at Finnick and Mags. This time, she wore a more emotional expression on her face. " That's what being in  District Seven feels like; a slow and gruesome death."

Just as Jenesis finished speaking, Finnick was already rising from his seat beside Mags. Jenesis only stared forward with tears bobbing in her throat as warm arms wrapped around her. Jenesis didn't stop herself when she slid down into the arms that gave her great comfort.

" It's going to be hard." Finnick said as Jenesis placed her gaze on the train floors.

" I already know—"

" District seven is going to be harder." He interrupted. " You knew them. Really knew them. You trained together, fought together, they're the first people you felt understood you. You even told each other about family."

Finnick's words stung in Jenesis's chest as she remembered that Treyvon and Imani both had siblings. A sister for one, and brothers for the other.

" You're in their home and they're not here. of course you're going to feel guilty." Finnick rubbed her shoulder firmly. " Of course you will. They were your friends."

Jenesis felt the tears in her throat begin to build up in her eyes. Struggling to suppress them from falling, as they were already surrounded by the forests of district 7. Though when she glanced upwards to look at Mags, the warm look on her face and the small nod she gave her broke the dam almost immediately. Jenesis allowed the tears to stream down her face as Finnick rubbed her shoulders soothingly. Compared to last night, there was nothing better than crying in the arms of people you love. People who she knew were truly there, mentally and physically.

" I want to go home," Jenesis cried as she leaned further into Finnick. " I want this to all be over."

" It will be." Finnick quickly said. " Right after district four you're all done."

It was a lie.

There was the capital party. Where all the demons would gather Jenesis in their hell. Successfully trapping her and putting her on their spiked throne while they drained the blood out of her. They would stab her until the blade broke, and poke her until there was nothing to prod at anymore. The citizens of the capital would drown Jenesis in their thick blood with hopes that she would become one of them. They would feed her to the devil, who himself is waiting for her arrival so she could dance with him. He would report how she did and how well she impressed him, before finally deciding how exactly he wanted to kill her.

Jenesis knew it was a lie, but for the first time since her return, she allowed herself to not think ahead. Taking a blind trust in Finnicks words that it was all over after the tour, and her suffering ends after a speech to her home.

" Mags said we should fix your under eyes," Finnick spoke with a soft tone.  " And drink up on some coffee to keep you awake."

It was then when Jenesis remembered that she had to keep up her appearances on the tour. As much as she didn't want to be awake and aware, she knew that it was best for her deal with Snow if she was.

Mags rose from her seat slowly, a gentle smile on her face as she reached out a hand to cup Jenesis's cheek. She brought the blonde girl in gently, placing a delicate kiss on her forehead before giving her cheek another pat. With that she turned to Finnick and signed to him swiftly, before walking slowly to the train cart doors.

" She said she'll go find Roman," he told Jenesis as he sat her up. " We can hold on with the coffee for now. See if you really need it."

" Wouldn't it be too late by than?" Jenesis said more matter of factly. " I'll already be on stage."

Finnick raised an eyebrow at her. " Don't doubt the power of processed capital food. They really take coffee makes you stay awake seriously. There's something in it, but it won't kill you."

It was an idea she was willing to welcome. The capital over processed their food unnecessarily, and as long as the quantity of coffee consumed couldn't kill—than what was the harm?

When Jenesis was on the docks working in the hot sun amongst those men, she would often see silver flasks being passed around to keep them awake. The age, plus labour, plus the intense sun wasn't healthy at all. Everyone that worked on sea needed something to keep them awake, especially the men in the unit Jenesis worked in. Fishing all day wasn't easy, and she saw how a swig of alcohol kept them in check.

Jenesis was aware that coffee will awaken her senses much more than she would like for her speech in district seven. She didn't want to be awake while she sings the capitals praise, and applauds Imani and Treyvon for their sacrifices that they made in the arena for the country.

Jenesis felt whatever wellness she had in her disappear, and Finnick must've felt it as he gave her shoulders a firm and comforting rub.

" What's on your mind?" Finnick asked with a overwhelming gentleness to his words.

" I don't think I can say what's on the cards."

He said nothing. Urging her to continue.

" Usually I don't acknowledge the cards until I go on stage. I rather not know the obnoxious words I have to say. I guess that way I don't think of the effects of it all. Thinking of it makes me feel like I'm on stage already."
Jenesis frowned as she spoke the last part of her words. " I don't think I can do that this time. I don't know if it's guilt, or my brain just not willing to ignore what I know. I just—I just know I can't look his brother, and her sister in the eye, and pretend I never knew them."

" I just cant." Jenesis finalized. " Not when I comforted her while she was dying and then ended her life."

For a moment Jensis thought Finnick might not respond.

She wouldn't blame him if he chose silence. After all, this wasn't the first time she was bringing up Imani and Trayvon, and pondering over her dead allies that met their end 6 months ago. He has already told her all he could and more, and there was no comfort in repeating words.

" Then don't."

—So Jenesis couldn't use the word shocked to explain how she felt upon hearing his response.

" What?"

" Then don't." He repeated. " Guilt it cruel. It brings up stuff from your past to throw into your present. All in hopes to kick you one more foot down. From now on it won't leave you alone. The truth is that it will haunt you. Just like it haunts me, Mags, and all those who came out of the games."

Jenesis shook her head. " I don't understand—"

" It won't exactly go away, but you can come to terms with yourself." He explained before Jenesis could ask to elaborate. " If it's them you see and think of the most, then maybe you need to finally address them. He died protecting you guys. She died in your arms. I think you know that they deserve a little more than a speech off cue cards."

Immediately, Jenesis knew what Finnick was insinuating.

" Are you saying I should speak off the cards?" She asked in a whisper. " President Snow. He won't allow that. I have to keep up the appearances—"

" But we both know it's what's holding you down." Finnick argued. " Look Jenesis—I would never advise this. I would never advise that you go against Snows words because I know how far he goes when you do. Trust me—I know that."

Finnick's gaze became distant as he spoke his words. But as quick as it came, it was gone.
" I wouldn't tell any tribute from the past or in the future to put Snows words aside, and I do want what's best for you because it's best to stay on his good side. But you guys went deeper than allies. You became friends in there. You know you can't just read the cards. Not for them."

Dee down Jenesis knew Finnick was right.

She was aware that he was speaking nothing but truth, and honestly—everything he said was what Jenesis had tried to keep out of her daily thoughts. Everyday she swallowed and fought off the urge to cry and beg to the people of District Seven. To Imani's sister, and Treyvon's brothers. Jenesis thought about what she would do when she stood in the presence of their loved ones for the first, and what she wanted to be the last time.

Jenesis truly did know deep down that she wanted to say more than the cards.

Hell—she wanted to say more than the cards for every district where she spoke about their dead children, but the urge was swallowed and tucked away as she entered each new ground.

" What do I say?" Jenesis asked in a whisper.

" You know that." Finnick quickly responded. 
" You know what you want to say to them Jenesis. I can't tell you that because you know."

She did know. But how much of what she wanted to say could be said?

Jenesis rose to her feet with haste. " I have to tweak my words,"

" — I can't sound too personal, it'll show my hate for the games." She continued with wide, scared eyes. " I have to crack my character for a second—or else, else—they'll all be dead. Every last one of 'em."

Jenesis looked over to Finnick. " I should just play it safe."

By the look on Jenesis's face, Finnick could tell that Jenesis wanted to speak on behalf of the death of her friends in the arena. She wanted to apologize for the gruesome way they were forced to die in— all in the name of entertainment. Finnick was certain that Jenesis wanted to say sorry for everything, but he could see that the hesitation was for the people back in four. Her sister on the train that's been silently keeping to herself, was at great risk if Jenesis didn't impress President Snow. An unborn baby to someone that Jenesis barely knows can loose it's life that it hasn't even lived if she messes up.

She didn't want to play it safe. But it was best for everyone back home.

Finnick let out a deep sigh at the sight of Jenesis's red eyes and pleading face. She was pleading for answers. Desperately trying to find the directions for an unclear path.

" You know what my dad used to tell me?" Finnick asked as green met green.

Jenesis tilted her head, " What?"

" He used to tell me to make the decision that I would regret the least."

Finnick watched as Jenesis came to a halt. Her body stilling as she let his words absorb. He could see the gears in her head turning as she searched her soul for answers.

" You're not alone." Finnick continued, seeing that she was staring at him. " This time I can't tell you what to do. I can't tell you what's best. Only you know what you're capable of right now."

Upon hearing those words, Jenesis let her eyes wander off Finnick and to the greenery outside. This was their home, and it was very likely that Jenesis would never step foot in district seven again. This would be the last time that she is given the opportunity to see the trees they grew up chopping and climbing, and the pathways they once walked on at some point in lost time.

Jenesis wanted to ensure she was making the decision she would regret the least.

" — So I just want you to make the decision that will bring you the most peace."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Why are you apologizing for crying?" Roman asked as he applied the gel strips under Jenesis's eye. The two sat in the train cart where Jenesis's clothes for the victory tour were set out. The last conversation Jenesis has truly had with her stylist was when he gave her the letter from President Snow, and told her about his origins as a boy from district 1. After that, everything they talked about was on the topic of  clothes and the tour. The last few stops, Roman had to cut his dinner or lunch with the mayor short, and spent lots of time in his room doing what Jenesis assumed was designing.

" It's inconvenient." She briefly answered.

" It is not." Roman countered back. " You're in a tough situation, and you can only do so much pretending."

Jenesis shook her head as he picked up the second gel strip with tweezers. " It's not even about pretending anymore. I don't think I can read off those cards. Not for district seven."

Roman paused for a moment. By the look on his face, Jenesis could see that he understood what she was insinuating. Of course he might not agree, and if he didn't—he avoided showing that with his next words.

" Do what you think is best." He settled on as he lifted the strip to her eye.

Jenesis let out a light laugh as he pressed the strip onto her under eye. Peeling his eyes off his work, Roman glanced at her curiously. 

" What's humoring you?"

Jenesis shook her head. " Everyone keeps saying that."

Before he could ask her to elaborate she was already talking. " Do what you think is best, do what you'll regret the least, do what brings you the most peace. I don't want think of myself. I can't afford to be selfish."

A soft expression came onto Romans face upon hearing Jenesis's words. He sat back into the chair he was sitting on as he stared at the young girl.

With a sigh he raised his hands to adjust his tie. " Jenesis there are two types of selfish people. People who are going to make a decision because they care about themselves, and then people who make decisions because they only care about themselves. Right now you need to be selfish and take care of you. If you know that speaking your truth will bring you peace...then do such."

Jenesis let Roman's words wander around in her head. There was a lot she had to loose, and that's what made her so vulnerable to President Snow and his threats.

She knew deep down in her soul that addressing the district and family directly would ease the guilt and pain she's been carrying from her dead allies. It was one of the only things she could do to show that she cared for Imani and Treyvon.

She made friends with them, and the last thing she wanted was for them to die.

But perhaps she was all wrong. Maybe they didn't want to see her as much as she wanted to see them. They might just damn her and her apologies to hell, and Jenesis wouldn't blame them if they did.

" I just want them to know that I'm sorry." She faintly spoke as she looked at Roman. " That I'm sorry they got reaped, sorry they got taken away from them, sorry they died so brutally in front of millions, and sorry that I couldn't protect them. That I had to kill them and watch them get killed. I just want them to know that I won't forget them. The capital might, but I'll remember them as they will too."

Roman placed a comforting hand on Jenesis's shoulder. The green fabric of the dress didn't stop the warmth his hand brought as he gave her a firm rub.

" You tell them just that." He said in a soft tone. " You tell them exactly that, but don't you dare say you regret it."

Jenesis furrowed her brows, " What?"

" Apologize and tell them you're sorry," Roman continued with a firm look on his face.
" But don't you once say that you regret coming back."

But I do, Jenesis wanted to say, but the words couldn't come out of her mouth. Not when Roman was looking at her like she was so important to the world, and like her life held great importance to everybody.

" Jenesis," he called out. " Don't wish you were dead."

For a moment she only nodded.

Not finding the words in her to respond with the truth that she already feels that way. Jenesis would've kept it at a nod if not for the pleading look Roman was giving her. 

" Okay," she eventually said. " I won't say I regret it."

Roman nodded. She could clearly see that he wasn't exactly convinced by her words, but he was hanging onto small hope that Jenesis doesn't regret living.

" Alright then," he sighed as he retracted his hand from her shoulder.  " Let's take these strips off."

Jenesis nodded with an exhale of her own as Roman began to gently remove the gel strips. After the first one, he expressed his content with the results and handed her a hand mirror to see.

Jenesis was in awe to see how a little bit of eye drops and gel strips would make it look like she hasn't cried in weeks. Once again, the capital showed her that they had a cure for everything. Even crying teenage girl syndrome.

" Lucky us," she said as she moved the mirror around to gaze at her face. " I look like I just spent 15 thousand on skin products."

" 15 thousand is oddly specific." Roman said with a light laugh. " Why not 10? Or 5? That's more realistic."

Jenesis only grinned, placing the mirror down as she crossed her legs. " 15 feels familiar."

Roman shook his head in amusement, his mouth opening to speak but the sound of the train cart door opening made him pause. 

" Jasmine?" Jenesis called out in surprise.
" What are you— is everything okay?"

Her sister only stood there. Her head lowered but her eyes on her older sister. The world seemed to be weighing onto her shoulders, because as she spoke her next words with raised eyes—the slouch couldn't go away no matter the eye contact.

" I want to speak with you." Jasmine spoke as she clammed her hands together.

Jenesis snapped her gaze to look at Roman. They weren't exactly finished with what they were doing, and Jenesis would tell by the few make up products he held in his hands upon Jasmines arrival.

" I only need to do some subtle concealing and re highlighting, and then we're done here." He spoke before Jenesis could ask anything.

Jenesis nodded her head, letting Roman get out his brushes before turning back to her sister.

" Jassy come sit here," Jenesis said as she nodded her head to the seat beside her. " We'll be done shortly and then we can talk."

Jasmine silently obliged. Taking a seat beside Jenesis with her head hanging low and her fingers fighting one another in a battle of pulling and curling. Jenesis and Roman proceeded in silence with the touch up of her makeup. It was clear by the looks they were giving one another that they were trying to make it quick without becoming awkward.

When Roman quirked a brow at Jenesis and subtly tilted his head towards Jasmine, Jenesis already knew what he was asking.

Is everything okay with her? She received the message clearly, and Jenesis was reminded that Roman hadn't been present at the dinning table two days ago when Jasmine practically expressed her discontent with the games logic.

Her sister had expressed how she felt about the hunger games—even if it was accidental and indirect— and him not being present was just one less person to witness and question Jasmine Hammaz.

The concealing and highlighting took Roman no time. He had touched up Jenesis's nose, eyes, cheekbones, and forehead wonderfully. She truly looked like she hadn't cried in weeks.

" Thank you Roman," Jenesis said just before he exited the cart.

He nodded silently before leaving. With that, Jenesis and Jasmine had the whole train cart to discuss.

" What's wrong?" Jenesis asked seconds after the cart door closed. " You said you wanted to talk, and I've been trying to give you time since what happened."

" You shouldn't be."

Jenesis tilted her head in confusion, " What?"

Jasmine lifted her head to look up at Jenesis, and it was then when Jenesis saw the streaks of tears going down her chubby cheeks.

" You're not supposed to be giving me space Jennie." She spoke more firmly. " Ever since that day, when my name was called, I thought that I might die. But then you volunteered for me, and I knew what you did. I just wanted you to come home. I wanted us to lay on the beach together again. I wanted you to do my hair for me, and eventually, you came back."

" Of course," Jenesis said as she moved closer to her sister, smoothing a hand over her curls.
" I'll always come back for you."

" I know," Jasmine mumbled. " I was so happy when you came home. I was happy you won. I was happy when we moved into our new house. I was just so happy you were back, and I didn't think of the games. I thought maybe we could just ignore—forget about it, and go back to normal."

Jenesis opened her mouth to speak, but Jasmine wasn't done just yet.

"—But then I hear you scream at night. I saw how you stopped talking and eating. I see how much closer you've gotten to Mags and Finnick," Jasmine inhaled a deep breath that rubbed her shoulders against Jenesis's. " When I saw these things, that's when I knew things weren't ever going to be normal."

Jenesis took a moment to digest Jasmines words. Denial was off the list because it was clear that her sister knew things that she wanted her to be ignorant to. She was aware that Jenesis wasn't the same. That she was weak. Different. There was no amount of cheeky smiles, and rubs on the shoulder to sell her anymore.

The shoes were set out, and Jenesis has no choice but to fill them with her feet.

" You're right," she began—making Jasmine turn her head to look at her. " Ever since I've got back, I've been...different. I've been afraid.
I am afraid. Because I hurt people Jasmine. I hurt someone's daughter or son. Someone's sister or brother, and I can't take that back. I have to live with what I did, and I'm struggling, alright?"

Jenesis bit her lip with a deep breath. Successfully stopping whatever knot was building up in her throat. " It's not easy. Hurting people. The way you saw me do on tv."

" Why did you volunteer for me?" Jasmine whispered with glassy eyes.

" Because I couldn't let you go in there!" The response was quick and desperate. The speed in which Jenesis clamped her hands on her sisters shoulders matched her response
" I couldn't let you go in there and play their game. Not when you have so much ahead of you. So much life and joy inside of you. I couldn't loose you, okay?"

Nothing hurt more than seeing the sadness in her sisters gaze. " Finnick won at 14,"

It was an desperate attempt of hope.

Jenesis lowered her head, releasing a shaky breath. " Fourteen and twelve aren't the same."

It hurt. Crushing her sisters hope hurt. But it had to be done in the moment.

Because unfortunately, Finnick Odair wasn't someone to look up to, and neither was Jenesis Hammaz.

Jenesis didn't want to see the expression on Jasmine's face upon hearing her words. She knew if she had she would most likely back track. Feed her the lies and the smile that she always gives to maintain her innocence.

" Jasmine I love you." Jenesis firmly said.
" You know that right? I love you. And when you love someone, they become someone you want to protect, look out for, always be around. You become brave just for them, and you always want to do your best for them. I love you. I always have, and I do not want you thinking that I regret putting my hand up that day.  Because if I could , Jassy I swear this on mom and dad—I would do it a thousand times over in every lifetime."

Jasmine seemed to be at a loss of words. A tear slipped out of her eye, and was quickly stopped by the swipe of Jenesis's thumb.

" I love you too," Jasmine said as she stared at her sister.

Her sister—who was so fearless and strong in every situation. Her sister—who would smile at her after giving up the food she had managed to scavenge. A sweet and persistent lie on her tongue that she already ate despite the pale of her skin from work that burned the fish she ate off. Her sister—who showed her what a woman looks like when she walks with her chin raised high in the sky ; ignoring the water that rests on her neck down.

Jenesis Hammaz was her sister, and nothing would ever make Jasmine Hammaz feel shame when she says it.

" I'm always going to look after you," Jenesis said as she moved her sisters curls over her shoulder. " No matter how weak I get. How scared I look. No matter the tears I cry, I'll always get up because of you."

With those words, Jasmine moved quickly to squeeze her sister into a hug. " I love you Jennie,"

Jenesis engulfed Jasmine tightly. Her back bending over to place her chin into her sisters neck. " I love you too Jassy."

She wasn't sure how long they hugged for. All Jenesis was aware of was the feeling of Jasmine moving her head around her chest area. Listening in for her heart beat as she alternated ears, and her tiny hands clutching her waist tightly. Jenesis kept her hands in her sister hair. Massaging her scalp with the pads of her fingers, and letting her arm wrap around her back.

Eventually the hug broke, and Jenesis was the first to pull back. She was in district seven as of right now, and in soon time someone would arrive to tell her that they were arriving in 10 minutes or so.

" This is District Seven, right?" Jasmine asked as she picked her head off her sisters chest.

Jenesis nodded her head. " Yeah. It is. Why?"

" They're from here." She spoke with a whisper as she played with her sisters fingers.  

Jenesis furrowed her brows. Her eyes coming down to meet Jasmine who's gazed remained on her hand. She's talking about Imani and Treyvon.

Just as the thought passed, Jasmine lifted her head. Her eyes meeting her sisters as she spoke her next words.

" Don't read those cards."

It wasn't much; Jasmine's words—compared to Finnick and Roman, yet it resonated deep in Jenesis. Leaving no room for doubt or conflict-ion.

So with a nod to her sister, Jenesis knew what she had to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upon the arrival in district seven, Jenesis had asked for her cue cards early. The mentors of Imani and Treyvon greeted her at the train station with distant eyes and half assed smiles. Blight Jordan was the victor of the 57th Hunger Games. He was a firm man. Standing with lots of muscle, perhaps a lack of height on him, but nevertheless he appeared fit to be a mentor. Jenesis had shook his hand first unintentionally, and he fixed her with eye contact that she wasn't exactly expecting. Though her mind was clouded, and she had no interest thinking about whether there was malice or not behind his actions.

The second victor introduced himself as Eero Nitya, and Jenesis's first thought was his age.

He was on the older side. Sporting wrinkles, grey hair, and a hunched appearance already.

From Sasha's words, Treyvon had been mentored by Blight, and Imani had Eero. Jenesis had raised a brow upon hearing Sasha's information. For the first time she questioned the woman's information regarding the games and the capital. Did she voice her doubt out loud? Of course not. District seven were no careers, and it didn't take her long to see that Imani and Treyvon were close from the moment she watched the reaping with everyone.

They were most likely mentored together.

Jenesis let out a low snort as she mentally finished the speech written on the cue cards.

It was comical. Really. Her green dress was tight, and fitting all the right spots. Her hair was curled to perfection—cascading past her shoulders just like the capital liked. Yet here she was, internally laughing at the ironic situation she willingly put herself in.

Prior to this moment, Jenesis had been scared of reading the cue cards before getting on stage. Afraid of the guilt that would chew at her before she could even get on stage. So there was something so pleasing as she read the speech now. All while having no intentions to say whatever ignorant nonsense Sasha had specifically written for district seven.

Jenesis let a smirk form onto her face.

Her lips curled upwards in such an chilling way. The smile on the lower half of her face screamed mischief, and a naughty girl who is up to no good.

It was unsettling, really. The way she allowed her giggle to rumble in her shoulders but not stumble out of her mouth.

You should be panicking. Vincent sneered in her ear as Jenesis tilted her head at the cue cards. Her smirk still present. You should be thinking of the consequences. You're killing people.

It seemed like Vincent had a change of heart, or perhaps he just wanted to stir up confusion and self destruction in Jenesis no matter the situation.

He wanted her to think, because that led to doubt, which led to panicking, which always led to tears and a breakdown.

But it wouldn't work.

Not while Jasmine's words are ringing in her head.

Don't read those cards, she told herself again as one side of her smirk faded slightly.

" With a smirk like that I feel like you know something I don't." Finnick spoke as he approached her.

Jenesis snapped her gaze onto Finnick. The cue cards in her hands lowering, and her smirk dropping into something she would consider much more softer and welcoming.

" Maybe I do." She spoke with a shrug. " I feel like I know more than everyone here, and funny thing is—I technically do."

Finnick raised a brow at her. " Mind sharing the feeling?"

Jenesis briefly pursed her lips. Her mind wandering over both Roman and Finnick's words before her lips parted again.

" — Look as though I'm mentoring you." Finnick spoke quickly. " We got everyone down here today."

Jenesis let her gaze slip past Finnick and onto Giovanni, Dolla, and Star. The three were huddled together—or more so Giovanni and Star—welcoming themselves to drinks given out by the temporary avoxes. It seems like they got tired of sitting on the train. Or perhaps they were expecting a show out of her speech in seven?

" I'm not so nervous, this time. " Jenesis spoke with a firm face. " I spoke with Roman."

Finnick kept his face neutral, but Jenesis could practically see his eyebrow shoot up in question—even if it hadn't.

" He basically told me the same thing as you," she continued with a level tone. " He said do what I think is best. It didn't faze me too much, sure did put me to thinking though. But then Jasmine came. We spoke about stuff, and in the end...she's the one that mentioned the speech today. She didn't say it like an ultimatum, it's like she demanded me not to read off the cards. And to be honest, she technically did."

Finnick nodded understandingly in order to keep up the image that their talk was linked to  mentorship. " Really? That's good to hear. I'm guessing you're going to listen to her?"

Jenesis nodded firmly. " Her words were so simple, and you gave me a speech and all. I kinda wasted your breath there."

Finnick looked Jenesis over for a second.

" ...Never." He responded. " You came around and got your answer. That's all that matters. Whether I helped or not, I don't regret what I told you."

" Thank you." She spoke with a nod upon seeing Sasha and Roman coming her way.
" Incoming."

" Jenesis!" Sasha screeched as her heels clicked louder and louder with each step. " You look so ready for District Seven! I'm glad you offered to practise before you get on stage! It's going to be  a bit...emotional, but you just remember you're the Victor now!"

Jenesis nodded with a tight grin at Sasha's squeal. " I will do just that."

For a second, Jenesis was sure that she saw Roman grin from beside Sasha. Not for the same reasons as the delusional escort, but because Jenesis was doing what she thought was best. Roman found it ironic. Sasha had no idea what was coming once she got on that stage.

" That's what I was telling her," Finnick chirped in." Although she won, Jenesis's image isn't arrogant. They were her allies, so she has to show some compassion."

Sasha nodded so furiously, Jenesis thought she might just nod her wig off. " Yes! We all know you're a kind soul Jenesis! That's why there are a few sentences on the cards to show that you care more deeply for them then you did for the other tributes."

A few sentences won't do it justice. She thought bitterly. " That's perfect."

The sound of the mayors voice on stage made everyone turn their heads to the screen. District sevens crowd was big. With the families standing at the back, and the pictures of Imani and Treyvon on screens above them. Jenesis gulped hard when the mayor referred to them as District Seven's tributes, rather than their names. It was an ugly feeling that settled inside her. Briefly reminding her that she didn't know the names of most of the tributes in the arena, and someone must've felt the way she currently did upon hearing her refer to their children as tributes.

" Well that's our cue." Roman spoke. Being the first to take his gaze off the screen. " Let's just adjust the hair and the eyebrows before she gets on stage."

" I'll get Dolla!" Sasha said as she glided her way over to the thin woman.

Finnick gave Jenesis one last look before leaving. It held comfort and determination that spilled onto her. Successfully absorbing into her skin. She gave a subtle nod in response as Roman began to fix the sleeves of her green dress.

" I hope it's not too tight." He said as he adjusted the fabric on her waist.

" It's normal," Jenesis shrugged. " Tight is Sasha's corsets. Or even my dress for the games interview. I'll live."

" Im sure you will," Roman laughed.

Dolla arrived with the clank of her stilettos with makeup brushes in one hand, and highlighter in the other. She gave Jenesis a smile that stretched her cheeks as she gently cupped her chin.

" You look gorgeous," Dolla mumbled to her as she brushed out her shaped eyebrows. " Simple dress, but you make it look everything but."

" Thank you," Jenesis responded as Dolla smoothed the brush around her brows.
" Roman has a third eye for clothes."

" He certainly does," she responded with a grin.
" You're not the first to say. That's why everyone in the capital is wearing him. You're his muse, the face, in soon time you'll be modelling—"

" Alright Dolla don't go exposing the plans," Roman interfered with a broken chuckle before Dolla could say more

Jenesis inhaled through her nose. She rather pretend that she didn't know what Dolla was talking about as of right now. She had heard the words she spoke. Modelling. For Roman, in the capital because Jenesis was the face of his new brand. Jenesis swallowed her thoughts down. Like Finnick said, she rather pretend that nothing happens after this tour. Nothing awaits after district seven.

" I believe that's your cue." Roman spoke as Dolla applied the last bit of the golden dust on Jenesis's cheekbones.

Like she had done 5 other times, Jenesis stood behind the doors of the Justice building as she waited for the mayor to introduce her to the crowd.

" So now, I may present you with the Victor of the 69th Annual Hunger Games, Jenesis Hammaz."

He had butchered her last name— pronouncing the "ham" with a wide ham sound, rather than a closed hum sound. She couldn't help but cringe before the doors opened. The applause was varying in loudness. Some parts of the crowd clapped deeply with booming hands for her, while others clapped mildly, and maybe some not at all.

It didn't bother Jenesis though.

Standing in front of district seven felt serene. The trees stretching out around the district were tall and green. Trees of all ages, both old and young, towered over the building and citizens. The amount of trees welcomed a fresh breeze of air that Jenesis realized no other district had prior to her stop in seven.

It smelt of fresh rain. Yet it was a sunny day with a wonderful breeze ; blowing at the rim of her wide sleeves that pooled around her hands as she clutched the cue cards.

" Good afternoon citizens of District Seven," Jenesis started in the most stable voice she could muster.

For a moment, as she grazed over the crowd, she almost let the grim faces that lacked welcoming corner her. She glanced down at her cards for immediate help, finding herself too intimated for a split second to proceed.

Jasmines voice poked Jenesis before she could even speak. Don't read those cards.

With a raised chin, Jenesis fixed her gaze onto the two platforms under the faces of her fallen friends. Brothers and a mother on one. A sister and a mother on the other.

They were angry and sad. They wore the same expression that many families in the other districts before seven had as they stared at her on stage. Why? Because she was here and their children weren't. Jenesis felt her heart beat firmly in her chest as she kept her gaze solely on the platforms. Her eyes wandering back and forth between each family.

" My name is Jenesis Hammaz, and I thank you for welcoming me into your home to share my victory." She read from the cue cards.

" I'm sorry."

She could feel the shift in the air as she spoke her words. But Jenesis kept her gaze on the families. Locking eyes were the dark skinned boy no older than 18 who had tears streaming down his face.

" Imani and Treyvon weren't just ally's, they were friends." Jenesis hadn't even noticed how her tone dropped lower to be more compassionate. " My friends. They were welcoming to me just when I thought I had nobody. When I thought I was alone. We laughed together, told stories together, ate together, and fought for one another to the very end."

Jenesis let her eyes slip upwards. The face of Treyvon illuminated boldly on the screen above his family. It felt odd, seeing his face so detailed and serious in the photo. But as Jenesis looked at him, she wasn't sure if she was imagining the light hearted glimmer of a boy that she once knew in his eyes.

—Perhaps she was mistaking the real gaze of the boy she once knew with a projection.

She spoke her next words with her eyes fixed on his face. Drinking in every detail from his curly high top to the curve of his jaw.
" In everything colourful...I can't help but see Treyvon. From his contagious smile, and the witty jokes that had no sense of time and place. Then there was his confidence. So strong and alluring that you couldn't help but wish you were him."

Jenesis looked to Treyvon's mother. The woman's expression now mirroring the same softness Giselle Hammaz used to look at her daughters with.

Jenesis continued on, " He deserved to be happy with you all, and I'm sorry that he's no longer here."

Jenesis looked to Imani's family next. Her sister and her mother stood on the platform, holding each others hands tightly as they stared at her with soft sadness in their eyes.

" Imani and I were connected," Jenesis started with a deep breath. " We were alike in a way that made us rethink whether we had met before at some point in life. She wasn't just bright but she was radiant. Every moment we shared we counted it. Every time we shared that sleeping bag we trusted each other—because we knew we were far too deep as friends to abandon one another. Around Imani there was no such thing as time, no distance amongst our moments of silence."

Jenesis let her eyes wander to the screen above the platform. " I see her...in the flowers in the garden. Blooming at her own pace, and stirring music in the ground below her."

She locked eyes with her sister. " I know I ended her life. It was my knife, and I'm sorry."

The gaze of the district was no longer angry. There was sadness in everyone faces. Tears in most people's eyes that were falling or preparing to do such.

Jenesis on looked the crowd as heads began to nod in unison. Each nod showing the appreciation for her words and raw emotion towards her friends—their children.

" I'm so sorry."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Oh Jenesis," Sasha spoke with tears in her eyes as she gazed at her. Jenesis's speech had ended the moment she said her apologetic words for the last time. She gave the crowd and families one last once over before bowing her head in the slightest—departing off stage. She ignored the cameras, and kept her gaze pinned forward as the doors were opened to let her enter. Eyes fell upon her immediately, and Jenesis wished that she had no ears in that moment, because the last thing she wanted to hear was Sasha's supposed disappointment in her actions. Or how she's ungrateful for abandoning the cards.

Jenesis was more than surprised when she saw crying faces.

Sasha's being one of them.

" You should've told me that you felt so strongly for them," Sasha cried as she clamped her hands on Jenesis's shoulder. " That speech was so beautiful, there wasn't a single dry eye—no matter what Finnick and Roman might say."

Jenesis bit back the comment she had on her tongue. She would've never had to give such a speech, and experience such deep feelings had the capital never plucked them away from their homes to fight to the death.

Instead, Jenesis saw deeper than the ignorance.

She saw something positive be born from something bad.

Her words on stage were too humane, and in Snow's eyes, Jenesis was being defiant. She was breaking her appearance—which resulted in failing to impress him. But Sasha, and by the looks of it—Giovanni, Star, and even Dolla—all seemed to be in tears by her speech.

They were moved in a way where their noses didn't curl in disgust for her behaviour. Their backs didn't turn on the capital like President Snow fears those exposed to defiance will. Instead, Jenesis was being praised for her beautifully spoken, and genuine speech for Imani and Treyvon.

Maybe she could convince President Snow with this. Make something out of it.

" I'm sorry if I offended you," Jenesis started lightly to test the waters. " It's just...I was going to read the cards, but in that moment I just felt like I wanted to say something.  I had to be the one to say it. They were my allies."

" They were your friends." Sasha corrected her with teary eyes. Cupping her face with her hands. " I just know everyone watching is crying in the capital. You're too sweet for your own good. The perfect Victor."

Jenesis gave a tight smile that squished together because of Sasha's hands.

" Now," she started with a sudden calmness to her. " lunch with the mayor will start in a little over...an hour and a half. You have time to talk and explore!"

Jenesis nodded her head as Sasha tapped her cheek and scurried off.

" I'm late to the rescue." Finnick spoke not even 30 seconds following the woman's departure.

" Very late indeed." Jenesis confirmed.

" How are you feeling?"

Jenesis let out a slow and steady breath. It was Finnick. The question had become something she realized she could never run from with him. It was all apart of the promise they made. The one that Finnick hasn't went a day without following wholeheartedly.

" Light." Jenesis eventually answered. " I feel light. Like I ' lifted an anchor off my shoulders' light. Half of one anyways."

Finnick nodded at her answer. " That's still something to be proud of. Half the anchor lifted is going to do more than you think. Trust me."

" I don't doubt you." Jenesis quickly said.
" I can't give Jasmine all the credit. So, thank you."

" You don't have to thank—"

" Well I did."

For a moment they just stared at each other. Everyone else too busy conversing and drinking beverages, no cameras around. Just some bright yellow light that shun upon everyone in the building. Having no spotlight whatsoever. 

Jenesis took this time to take a good look at Finnick. His tan skin was glistening with a deep roast under the yellow lights of the inside of the justice building. His hair was frizzed out but still looked perfect. It seemed like an accident done on purpose.

Eventually, they broke the eye contact with one another with nervousness in their body language.

" I'm going to head out." Jenesis spoke breaking their silence.

" Back to the train?" Finnick asked curiously.
" I mean you have time before lunch if you want to speak with your sister or anything of the sort—"

" No." Jenesis said as she shook her head.
" I'm heading out into the district."

For a moment Finnick just stared at her. His lips parted and his sea green eyes blank in a halt.

" Jenesis I don't think that's a good idea."

Taking a step forward, Jenesis glanced around the room before speaking. " I didn't plan on telling anybody but I'm telling you. I didn't know how to go about this. I know what is a bad idea and a good one, what I'm supposed to do and no to do. I don't even know if this is allowed, but—I already started it. I might as well finish all the way."

Finnick inhaled a sharp breath, and Jenesis for a second regretted telling him about her plan.

It was best for everyone if no one knew, especially for Finnick and Mags. Jenesis planned to do something messy and risky—something she thought was necessary for her peace. If she did get in trouble, it would be best if no one knew about what she did.

" Jenesis," Finnick breathed out as he ran a hand through his hair stressfully. " What do you plan to go do out there?"

For a moment she debated answering him. She truly did not want Finnick getting in trouble for her actions whether by Snow or a Peacekeeper. But with the look on his face, he wasn't letting it go until he got one.

" I got money on me." Jenesis spoke in a low whisper. " Money for their families. I make too much it's the least I could do."

Finnick stared at her. " No."

" It's not up for you to decide." Jenesis firmly spoke. " My plan was to give it to the mayor. Have him give it to them. But to hell with that. I'm going out there myself."

" I can't talk you out of this?" Finnick asked as he released a shaky breath.

Jenesis let her eyes wander around the room, spotting the mayor in the distance conversing with Sasha in what appeared to be a one sided conversation. That was her target, and she had to keep him in her line of sight.

" No." she simply responded. " You can't."

" Well than I'm coming with you."

Jenesis stared at him as if he had three heads.
" No."

" Yes."

" No." Jenesis spoke firmly. " They don't like you in the districts, remember?"

Finnick stared at her desperately. His eyes darting around the room as if he were trying to look for answers in a way he could include himself in her plan.

" They haven't started hating me yet because I'm fresh out the arena." Jenesis continued.
" You aren't. I don't plan on just walking through the district as if I have armor because I told them humane words. I plan to avoid as much people as possible, and me showing up with you is pure cowardice for such a bold move on my behalf."

" It's not about cowardice it's about keeping you safe!" Finnick snapped in a whisper.

Jenesis ran her hand over her hair. Placing her hand on her hip as she glanced at the mayor— who was still accompanied by Sasha.

" I killed their boy."

It didn't take Jenesis long to understand what Finnick's words meant. Putting it together she quickly understood that during his games, 4 years ago, he killed the boy from district seven. Whether with a trident or knife, she wasn't sure. But he died by his hands.

" That's not your fault." Jenesis quickly said seeing the look on his face. " But that just adds to why you shouldn't come with me. I have to go now, because I'm wasting time. I plan to be back before lunch, and if I leave now I definitely will be."

" Jen please don't do this." Finnick pleaded faintly just as Jenesis took a step back.
" Why are you always leaving?"

Jenesis felt her stomach churn uncomfortably at Finnick's words. She was always leaving him and everyone else. In some way or another she always went off to be by herself. When it was more than clear that everyone just wanted her close.

" This time I know I'm coming back." She responded backing away. " I'm sorry."

Her name was called in a faint whisper, but Jenesis was already walking to her target before it could echo any more in the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jenesis took the mayors word. When he told her that Imani's sister and her mother went into a certain building, she took his word to follow. Jenesis calmly slipped from the Justice building after retrieving the two envelopes from the train. She felt Finnick's eyes on her from the moment she started talking to the mayor, got on the train, and walked out into the civilization of district seven with a jacket.

Jenesis kept her gaze lowered as she walked through district seven. The people were too busy. Families walking back to their houses, people were opening their shops back up. No one seemed to be lingering around for conversation. 

" He better be right," she mumbled to herself. Seeing the building she was directed to in her line of sight.

As far as Jenesis was concerned she was doing pretty well so far. She moved at a walking pace as everyone else with her head lowered to cover her face. The jacket she wore did wonders for her hair, leaving her with not much left to shield.

Upon arriving at the building Jenesis knew it was polite and respectful to knock on the door. She wasn't sure if it was a living space or a business shop, but the door to the small building was too welcoming to the public for it to be a house. So she pushed the door with her head still lowered.

It was silent, in the building. Her gaze on the polished brown wood of the floor, only being able to see the half sight of flowers sitting on a near by shelf.

Jenesis glanced around more, and she wasn't surprised when she saw two pairs of feet—matching the same ones she saw on the platform not even 30 minutes ago, standing to the side. Slowly, she removed her hood from her head. Lifting her head to gaze at the two women who stood tightly together, dried tears on their faces which was covered with shock upon seeing her of all people.

Maybe this was a mistake, Jenesis thought as her lips parted—seeing the way Imani's mother placed a hand over her mouth to conceal a sob.
Maybe this is too insensitive.

" What are you doing here?" The younger woman asked rather aggressively as she clutched her shaken mother.

Jenesis inhaled a deep breath. Her brain searching for answers as she pondered over the question. Looking like a fish freshly caught in a net.

" Hello?" She pressed with anger in her voice.
" You can't just show up here! You're not welcomed here."

Jenesis released a shaky breath. The girls words had woken her up and moved her brain to really think.

She glanced around briefly. There were no windows—an advantage and disadvantage for her. No one could see her right now. No peacekeeper or civilian. Jenesis glanced over the four walled space for anything that could be used as a weapon, like an axe. None. She was in a flower shop.

" I—" she began as she locked eyes with Imani's mother who had silent tears streaming down her face.

" You what?" The woman sneered at her again.
" Why are you here? We don't want to see you! You're not welcomed here! I mean, how selfish could you be?"

For a moment Jenesis just stared at her. Her heart beating in her ears as the girl—no older than 22– badgered her presence. Maybe she's right.

" I'm sorry I just—"

" Yeah we get your sorry," she snapped before she could finish. " The whole district does. But do you think we care!? My sister is dead, gone for good. Her daughter just died just six months ago far away from home on some cold grass for the whole world to see. Far away from her mom, far away from her big sister, but right beside you."

" And I know that!" Jenesis spoke in a panic.

" Stop yelling at her Nora," the mother weakly said with a broken voice. " Imani wouldn't want that."

Nora, with the sight of her mother rubbing her back, backed down. Her thick brows furrowed deeply as she bit her lip, clearly trying her hardest to fend off the tears that were threatening to spill out like a damn.

Jenesis stared at Imani's mom with glazed eyes. Watching as the woman placed her tired, pain filled eyes on her.

" Why did you come here?" She asked in a whisper. " What do you want?"

Jenesis inhaled a sharp breath at the direct question. She physically stuttered to answer right away, but when she caught herself, her hands began slapping around on her jacket.

" I...I-I wanted to give you something." She pulled one envelope out from her jacket pocket.

" It's not much." Jenesis quickly said seeing the way they eyed her with suspicion and pain.
" When I give this to you I don't by any means want you to think that this is my way of apologizing, or t-t-that I'm dwindling down her worth to nothing but what's in this envelope."

Jenesis let out a deep shaky breath as she held the thick envelope in her hand. " Matter of fact, I would prefer if you open this when I leave. I understand that I'm not wanted here....and I have no interest in hearing gratitude for my actions."

Jenesis held out the envelope to Nora. The girl stared at her. Her long brown hair, just as thick as her eyebrows—which reflected every emotion she was feeling on her face— as she stared at the envelope in Jenesis's outstretched hand.

" Please take it." Jenesis begged in a whisper as she looked to the mother. " Please."

Nora had stared at Jenesis a bit longer. Her gaze angry and hard, yet you could see the self debate on her face. Her eyes scanned Jenesis up and down repeatedly. Starting from the floor at her sandals, all the way to the hood of her jacket—considering Jenesis was shorter than her.

Eventually, Nora gently took the envelope from Jenesis's hand.

Upon feeling the weight lifted, Jenesis took a step back as she prepared to leave. She could hear the sound of the paper tearing followed by a deathly silence. Her gaze fell to the floor, not bothered to look at their faces whether it was anger or gratitude on their expression.

Inside the envelope was fifteen thousand dollars of cash taken out from Jenesis's monthly check that she gets from surviving the arena. It was an awful amount of money for anyone in the districts, especially a district like seven—not close to the capital at all. Her monthly bills in district four didn't cost more than two hundred dollars a month, and she could assume it was less for district seven.

15 thousand dollars would last any smart person years. They were a family of two now, and Jenesis was sure their consumption was less than her own. Jenesis bought excessive food for Jasmine mostly, and even with the expensive groceries she hasn't even spent near fifteen thousand.

The silence was deafening as she approached the door with a down casted gaze. Feeling the shock in the air that stunned them into silence.

Jenesis threw her hood up as she turned her back to the two woman who stood bewildered. She took slow steps to the door of the shop, still feeling the eyes of Nora and Imani's mom gaping at her as she moved to exit.

Jenesis's hand grazed the corner of the door where she needed to push, and before she did she turned back to the women.

Nora stared at her with her mouth wide. The top of the envelope was ripped open wide, revealing the thick stack of bills to the two women. Shock was not enough to describe her expression. Gone was the anger and the tears. Replaced with a softer look that could be only temporary.

Jenesis didn't want to stick around to find out.

" And Nora," she started with her gaze pinned on the girl. " I'm sure you know it already, but...Imani told me to tell you she loves you."

—And Jenesis was gone. Leaving the two woman in tears as they cried over the deceased soul of their sweet Imani.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A brown and green house along the forests outskirts. The mayor had told her regarding where Treyvon's family lived. The visit to Imani's mother and sister resulted in tears spilling out of her eyes as she walked to her next destination. Jenesis wasn't sure if she was pleased with herself. She couldn't help but feel like everything she was doing came from her own selfishness. Only done for herself and her own good, because Jenesis wasn't taking into consideration if the families were ready to see her. Imani's mothers teary face, and eyes clouded with pain were forever burned into her memory.

Suck it up, she told herself bitterly as she stood at the entrance of the house.  You already started it.

Jenesis's hands hovered over the second envelope in her jacket pocket. With a ragged breath, she noted what pocket it was in, raising a shaky hand to knock on the door.

Jenesis closed her eyes, feeling her confidence wavering as her hand lowered back to her side. There was a dent in her drive to complete this last task before she leaves the district. She could feel her certainty in herself slipping. Her sisters words not being enough to comfort her because she had already done what she had asked.

Giving what was left of their families money, was Jenesis's idea. She didn't have to do it.

Why am I doing this? She asked herself as she stared the wooden door down. It's not like they want me around.

And it was true. They were most likely going to just yell at her. Take their anger for the capital, and grief for their dead son out on Jenesis. They were going to insult her, just like how Nora had, and Jenesis wouldn't be able to find it in her to say anything.

Jenesis inhaled deeply. Her hands at her side making tight fists.

" Just knock." She whispered. 

The loud thud from inside sent Jenesis three steps back in shock.

Suddenly a cry came from inside the house, causing her breath to hitch as her eyes widened in shock. She stared at the door as voices began to bounce inside the house. The shrill cries of a woman increasing. 

" Tyrone stop!" The woman screamed as another thud bounced against one of the four walls.

Jenesis could hear her heart pounding in her ears at the sound of glass shattering against the floor.

"FUCK!" A male voice yelled in anger as heavy footsteps began to approach the door.

Part of her wanted to run. Drop the money and run. Leave in that moment and later tell herself that she couldn't do it because it was dangerous. Because someone was angry, and very expressive about it. But fleeing must not have been her main thought because after one step back out of panic, Jenesis's feet emained glued to the ground.

The door swung open with force that Jenesis wasn't expecting. The sight of a tall boy with dark skin, face covered fully in red rage as he stepped out the house.

His gaze fell on her almost immediately. The anger never leaving his face as in the span of one second, he experienced confusion, and quickly realization.

" What the fuck are you doing here?" The boy yelled in anger.

Jenesis hurriedly stepped back, her eyes darting around the area due to his loud voice.

Her lips trembled as she reached into her pocket for the envelope. " I have something for you..."

Almost immediately after she spoke, two people came into the doorway.

She quickly recognized one of the faces as Treyvon's mother. Fresh tears on her cheeks and her appearance disheveled.

The woman made eye contact with Jenesis. Shock and surprise covered her face before her eyes darted back to her son.

" Tyrone stop—"

But Tyrone made no move to stop as he began to circle around Jenesis. " The fuck is this bitch coming here for? After spouting your shit in front of those cameras now you wanna show your fuckin face talkin' bout how you have something for us?! As if that shit of a speech wasn't enough?!"

" Tyrone!" The woman yelled as she approached her son. " Tyrone get in the house now!"

Jenesis felt her lips glue themselves shut as the boy stopped in front of her. His height towering over her plentifully with a deep scowl of anger and hatred etched onto his face.

" What? You come here to rub your little win in our faces?" He asked as he crouched down to her height. His hands placed on his knees as he tilted his head at her, snatching the hood of the jacket off of Jenesis's head.

" I have no intentions to—"

" Brought your little peacekeepers around so they could finish us off, huh?" Tyrone accused as he looked around.

Jenesis shook her head as tears began to build back up in her eyes. " I came alo—"

" Treyvon wasn't enough for them?" He asked incredulously with a laugh. " My little brother wasn't enough for them! They want some more entertainment, right! Where are the fucking cameras!?"

" Tyrone stop!" The mother yelled with tears streaming down her face profusely. " Leave her be!"

The boy rose to his height, his eyes pinned down on a frozen Jenesis as he began to pace around her.

" Tell me," he started with labored breathing.
" Tell me why I shouldn't just end it all here"

" Ty," a male voice called lowly upon hearing the boys words.

" Shut up Tyrese." Tyrone spat before stopping in front of Jenesis once more. " Right now and right here, what's stopping me from ending the shit show they've made out of it? Hm? You came alone, by yourself no protection. What's stopping me from grabbing an axe and ending this all?"

Jenesis's breath hitched, as she struggled to swallow the sudden pudgy air. Her chest heaved as she slowly raised her head to look Tyrone in the eyes.

" Nothing is stopping you." Jenesis finalized with audible exhales of fear. " You can do whatever to me right now. I'm alone. No peacekeepers and no witnesses. If you put an axe in my chest, I'll be put out of this misery of a life I live, and the number of people that will truly mourn me can be counted on one hand."

Jenesis could see the surprise that covered Tyrone's face as he stared at her.

" Really?" He dared. Challenging her words.
" If you're so miserable why did you fight so hard in the arena? Y'seemed pretty eager to win to me."

" Tyrone leave her." Tyrese spoke as he stepped forward.

Jenesis glanced at him. He had opposed his brother from the start, and he seemed to be younger then Tyrone, but looked older than Treyvon. His eyes were swollen from tears. Naturally squinted with a sharp jawline making him appear more angry than sad.

Jenesis placed her gaze back onto Tyrone.
" Because I have people to live for."

" What?"

" I too made promises to come back to people I loved. Told them I would fight for them, come back for them, and that's what I did." Jenesis spoke as her nails dug bloody crescents into her hand. " Yet they're dead. I came back to a funeral."

Tyrone took a few steps back from her, hesitance and shock on his face, and Jenesis felt the anger bubble up in her throat.
" The capital likes my face, but to them—everybody is replaceable. You kill me, they'll kill you. Not because they care, but because you showed them up. Killed their new toy. All of you will be dead by twilight."

For a moment they just stared at her, and Jenesis felt her heart thumping wildly in her chest as she lowered her gaze to the ground.

Her words had clearly been absorbed by the family.

She might've been a victor, but they were all district in the end, and that was enough to the family that she was no better than them. Jenesis might be a victor, but she was still a district slave to the capital.

" What did you come here for?" Tyrese broke the silence.

Jenesis averted her eyes to him, but ultimately said nothing as she held the envelope out to them. For a moment, the mother stared at her hand, curiosity and hesitance in her gaze as her eyes changed from Jenesis to the primly folded, thick paper in her hand.

" I'm came to say sorry." She spoke as Tyrone snatched the envelope. " For everything. For the pain, the hurt, the grief, the anger. All of these families....you guys will never be the same."

They all stared at her. Their gaze shifting to a much softer emotion than anger as somber news took over them.

" Treyvon didn't deserve that," Jenesis continued as she closed her eyes. " He was a boy. A good boy. He was too happy, too gentle, and they took that from him. From you. From all of of us. He was your son, and your brother. He was someone special not because he was happy, and he had jokes, but because he was born into this world. And his life was worth more than a ten minute ceremony and the pluck of a paper. And I'm sorry, so, so sorry, that's he's not here anymore."

That was all it took for the tears to begin to spill from everyone. Including Jenesis.

Slowly, Jenesis lowered her body to a ninety degree angle. Her back straight, lining with her head as her gaze wandered the ground below her.

" Get up." The voice of Tyrese spoke as he stepped in front of her.

" I'm sorry."

" Raise your head," he insisted in a louder volume. " You're a victim to all of this."

" I'm so sorry." Jenesis breathed out as she blinked away her tears.

" She's alive." Tyrone spoke over his brother.
" She's less of a victim—"

" For fucks sake she's sixteen Ty!" Tyrese yelled with sadness in his voice. " Jenesis, please, just—just raise your head."

Jenesis blinked. Her vision clouded with hot tears that blurred the ground below her, and with a deep breath she slowly raised herself back up to stand straight.

" In that envelope is fifteen thousand dollars." She spoke as she stared at Tyrone. " I'm not saying that it will fix anything, or that you need it, but it's the least I can do. I most likely won't ever see you again, and I can't live with myself like this. Having all this money from the blood that was shed in the arena. The blood of my friends. People's sons and daughters. It's bloody money...but I—I just hope you'll take it."

A sob wrecked through the mother as she slowly lowered herself to the floor. Her head pressing into her arms as she hugged herself as muffled sobs shook through her. Jenesis felt herself choke as Tyrese moved to comfort his mother.

" I'll be on my way."

Jenesis ignored the calls of her name from Tyrese and Tyrone. She muted out the sounds of regretful apologies that spilled quietly from Tyrone's lips upon realizing she wasn't at fault for any of it.

Upon realizing that the girl in front of him was just that—a girl. A 16 year old girl who in some way, died along his brother.

Don't look back. Jenesis thought as she continued to walk with her hood up, officially leaving the souls of her dead ally's behind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jenesis had decided to skip dinner with everyone. The meetings with the families of Treyvon and Imani had left her with a mind far away from reality. She mindlessly engaged in conversation during lunch. Adapting to the forced conversations of the mayor, and the witty responses of her prep team. It was a full table with more than just Finnick, Sasha, herself, and often Roman—successfully making it easy for Jenesis to tune out at points during the lunch. Her mind was occupied with the cries of Imani's mother, the glare of Nora as she stared her down. Jenesis could still feel Tyrone's aggressive questions and words echoing in her mind.

Jenesis pressed her ear against her pillow in attempt to tune it all out. The loud voices, the cries, everything that she has heard.

"If you're so miserable why did you fight so hard in the arena?"

The words of Tyrone forced Jenesis to get up from her bed.

Her legs dragged her to the bathroom with the thought of a hot shower occupying her mind. She wanted to burn the words of all of them out of her.

As she striped herself of her green dress, Jenesis couldn't help but grimace in the mirror at the smooth fabric that had grown damp from her sweat and exhaustion. She stared at her naked form in the mirror. Absorbing the changes in her body and on her face that she often tries to ignore.

The weight loss from months ago, and her unpleasant eating habits that functioned based on her mood, showed greatly in her body. Jenesis felt herself shiver as she eyed the bones along her hips that protruded out of her skin. Her eyes had began to produce light bags that would surely worsen if she didn't get herself sleep for the next three days.  Her toes tingled together against the cold marble tiles of the bathroom, and Jenesis slowly brought her arms to her chest. Wrapping her arms over her bare breasts as she gave one more grimace to her reflection.

The hot water was pleasing, and the soft scented soap had done what she had expected it to. Seizing the angry thoughts and voices of the dead that tried to whisper in her ear as she lathered herself in the gentleness of each soap. Jenesis changed into warm clothes that hugged her arms and legs. Leaving only her hair to feel exposed as the blonde curls spiraled past her shoulders in a pattern. 

I'm not staying here tonight, she told herself as she pressed the button on the screen for food. Jenesis was aware that sleep would not come to her tonight if she stayed in the confides of her own bedroom alone. Not after all that happened today.

—The faces of the crowd, the eyes of her dead friends looking back at her, the cries of mothers, screams of brothers and sisters.

Jenesis didn't want nightmares. If she can get comfort for them, and possibly avoid them as a whole for one night—she will do what's necessary. Because she knew what was coming for her tonight, and she wasn't willing to walk through the battle field without armor.

Finnick's door was always open.

It took a minute for the shrimp pasta to arrive before Jenesis—hot and steamy. The hunger in her stomach made sure to introduce itself , growling loudly as Jenesis took a seat on the edge of her bed.

Each bite of the creamy pasta and the thick boiled shrimps eased the ache in her stomach as she chewed her food to mush before swallowing. Jenesis kept her stare on the vanity chair more to the right corner of the room, swallowing the food in her mouth with a blank stare. She could feel the wetness of her hair gliding down her forehead. Tracing the edges of her face as the droplets dissolved in the side burns along her facial perimeter.

Jenesis was done eating in no time, and she didn't bother waiting a while before she was brushing her teeth.

She wasn't interested in spending another hour in this confined space. Fear wouldn't let Jenesis sit on her bed, waiting for the taste of food to leave her mouth—not wanting to fall asleep. She wasn't going to sleep on her own after such a tough day. Not after yesterday.

Jenesis yearned for a sleep like the one she had that night with Finnick. No nightmares plagued her mind, awakening her in cold sweat and leaving her breathless—shaking in fear. The comfort of another person, and Jenesis dared to admit Finnick's comfort specifically—lulled her to a peaceful sleep that she was in desperate need for.

Spitting out the last of the minty mouthwash, Jenesis dried her mouth with the bathroom towel and exited the washing space.

She spared no glance to her bed as she snatched two black hair ties laying on the vanity table. Tying her hair in a high ponytail, twisting her curls that hung to her neck tightly, and tying up the tips. She was out of her room immediately.

Out of courtesy, Jenesis gave Finnick three warning knocks that she hoped were useful before entering.

She was expecting a dark room that was pitch black when she opened the door, and Jenesis was more than surprised to see that the room was illuminated by a single lamp.

" You're awake?" She whispered, gently closing the door behind her. " Did I wake you?"

Finnick stared at Jenesis as she approached the bed slowly. Her eyes lingering on the lamp longer than necessary, before falling onto his form that laid outside of his covers.

" I had a feeling you were coming tonight." Finnick spoke. Throwing one side of the covers open. " I couldn't exactly sleep myself. Figured I'll wait for you."

Jenesis couldn't help but raise her brow.
" What if I never came?"

" I guess I wouldn't have slept."

She moved into the bed gently. Laying down on her back alongside Finnick as she brought the covers up to her neck.

Jenesis glanced at Finnick for his response. Her neck craned as she stared at him while he looked to the ceiling. It couldn't have been more than two seconds before he too turned his head to look at her. Upon meeting her stare, he gave her a cheeky smile that showed off his dimples and illuminated his eyes with the yellow light of the lamp.

" Did you eat dinner?" He asked. His gaze once again on the ceiling.

Jenesis mirrored him. She too now facing upwards. " Yeah I just finished. Some shrimp pasta. It was good—Just enough."

Finnick didn't respond, but Jenesis was sure he heard her, and decided that her confirmation at the start of her sentence was all he needed. For a moment they laid in silence. Both of their gazes on the illuminated ceiling. Not exactly waiting for conversation, but not quite prepared to sleep either.

Jenesis focused on the rise of her chest as she breathed below the blanket. Her steady breaths in Finnick's room, in his presence, was a rarity when she was in her own space. If she was alone her breathing would be ragged. Her chest rising and falling at a pace she couldn't even keep up with. Forcing her to remove herself from her bed, and ultimately keeping her up for the rest of the night.

" Can I tell you a story?" Finnick asked. His gaze placed right on Jenesis.

Jenesis felt herself hesitate upon hearing the question, confusion bubbling in her.

She too turned to Finnick. " Are you not going to ask?"

" Ask what?"

" Finnick," Jenesis spoke with a raised brow warningly. He knew what she was talking about, and Jenesis could tell by the goofy grin that made way onto his face.

Jenesis wasn't exactly complaining about Finnick choosing to not ask regarding what happened in the district. It was odd of him though. Usually he wanted to know everything, and tried to scavenge as much detail from Jenesis as possible. Although she was aware she didn't have to tell him, Jenesis eventually did—maybe because he asked too much, sounded too pleading—but she'll admit it felt good in the end. 

" We'll talk whenever you're ready." Finnick said with a nod. "I won't force you."

Upon seeing the look on Jenesis's face. Finnick was quick to let her know it wasn't personal.
" —Not with this situation. Because I'm guessing it must've been hard."

Jenesis let her eyes part from his own. Slipping her gaze back to the ceiling as she took in a deep breath. The sight of tears, cries of pain, pure rage, and accusing eyes flashed in Jenesis's head.

" It was hard." She confirmed. " Wasn't easy. Really looking at them. Hearing what they had to say."

" You weren't hurt right?" He asked with a worried gaze on her. It was so strong, Jenesis was forced to meet his eyes again.

Her mind wandered to Tyrone. The older brother of Treyvon and Tyrese. His anger, his sadness masked by aggression.

" No." Jenesis briefly answered.

She was certain that Finnick didn't believe her.

He didn't let out a sigh of relief like he usually did when she told him something that eased his nerves that were always high with her. Instead, he kept his gaze steady on Jenesis. His eyes roaming her own for a few seconds before she turned back to the ceiling. 

" Still up to tell that story?" Jenesis deflected.

" Depends," he said with a more loose tone.
" You up to hear it?"

Jenesis glanced at Finnick and smirked.

" Depends," She spoke in the same tone as he did. " Is it funny?"

" Depends," Finnick mimicked with an even wider grin. " Would you find my mom slapping me because I was bad funny?"

" Hell yeah."

Finnick laughed. A laugh that he clearly tried to hold in but ended up coming out anyways. Making Jenesis join him with her own chuckles too.

" Well than," he started. Making himself comfortable as he let out a dramatic sigh in preparation of his story. " When I was 13, I was a pretty rowdy kid. I trained at the academy, and went to school since my family was well off enough to afford it. But this one day, I got in a fight with my mom. A normal disagreement honestly. She was just scolding me—as usual, but this time it was because I punched a fellow trainee of mine in the face."

Jenesis laughed, surprised " You were punching people in the face? At 13?"

Finnick nodded with a smug look on his face.
" Yup. You know Luke Da'Costa?"

Jenesis shook her head, her interest higher than ever.

" He's the head fisherman's son. The guy that is apart of the team that counts all the fish to ship to the capital, and keep in the districts." He informed with a small sigh. " Anyways. Me and him didn't get along. He was always competing with me in the academy about who used the trident better. Who would volunteer first. Who would win the games between me and him. It was annoying, considering that we were only 13 at the time. So I guess I lost my patience one day and punched him. Straight in the nose. In the training room where there was no cameras. He was gushing so bad, I think I broke his nose."

Jenesis raised her brow in surprise. " Don't you think that's a bit much? I just can't imagine you going around punching people in the buddy maker because of teasing."

Finnick laughed. " My mom couldn't either. We got into a big argument about it because Luke told his dad of course. My dad was a fisherman, sailed out in the deeper waters to fish with his crew. The next day, Luke's dad approached mine and told him all about what I did. It was either I say sorry or my parents pay the medial bill for Luke's broken nose. My mom was livid. Kept yelling at me about why I did it, and how I could do such a thing."

Jenesis found herself becoming incredibly invested in the story. Trying to imagine a woman that maybe looks a lot like Finnick, standing in his bedroom doorway and yelling at him for his incredulous behavior.

It was a bit hard to imagine.  Jenesis never got yelled at by her parents when they were alive, because she was genuinely a great and easy kid.

" You said sorry right?" She asked as if it was the obvious outcome.

Finnick shook his head. " No, and that was the reason to the argument. I tried to explain that it was justified. Luke kept bothering me, I gave him warnings, and then I dealt with it. I basically told her that it wasn't a big deal, and that Luke shouldn't be such a baby about it since he wants to volunteer when he's eighteen, and the arena is way worse than a punch in the face. It was the first time my dad didn't agree with me. So they were both yelling at me. Cornering me in my room with no way out. Trying to convince me that I was wrong. I couldn't take it anymore, and I just ran away."

" You ran?" Jenesis asked appalled. " Like, ran as in you ran away from home?"

" Yeah." Finnick nodded. " I ran to this cave in the waters that I always go to when things get tough. Stayed out there past dinner and curfew time. I was so angry and stubborn, I genuinely believe I could live there. Sneak back to the house and grab some food, clothes, and my trident in the morning. Live off fish for a while. It didn't last long though.  The water started to rise in the cave and I had to leave. It was way past curfew, and I was actually scared. I remember stumbling around, trying to sneak home. Some peacekeeper spotted me though."

" — He was nice. Asked me why I was out past curfew, questioned me a bit, but when he saw I was just a stupid runaway kid, he asked me where I lived and said he'll walk me home." Jenesis watched as Finnick let out a long sigh, as if he was reminiscing the scenario that took place a while back in his life. Because he let out a bitter laugh as he continued.

" I remember the look on my my moms face when I came home." He started with a small smile on his face. " She was crying real bad. The first thing she did was pull me in for a hug. Squeezing me so tightly as she cried in my shoulder. It was so obvious that she didn't sleep at all because she was worried about me. But she was just happy I was back."

The story has a happy ending. Jenesis thought.

Finnick wasn't lost, taken out the academy, caught by the academy, and most importantly— he wasn't flogged by a peacekeeper—not that floggings were common in District Four. Instead, he was reunited with his mother and father, and she was happy to see him.

" So where does the slapping come in?" Jenesis asked with a raised brow. A small smile still present on her face.

" Aren't you excited to hear it," Finnick teased with a roll of his eyes. " The slap was unexpected. Couldn't see it from the shore. All of a sudden my moms face changed, her eyes flashed, and right in front of the peacekeeper, she slapped me. It was hard, and gosh it stung. I was just still, standing there. So was my dad, the peacekeeper, and my baby brother. I thought he might do something, seeing that my mom just slapped the tan off my face. But then she latched onto me again. Her eyes were teary and she begged me never to run away again. Kissing my cheek and hugging me. I never argued with my parents again after that, especially my mom."

Jenesis couldn't help the laugh that came out of her. It was low due to the time of day, but it was powerful and refused to die out. The image of Finnick being slapped by his mother in front of a peacekeeper—who did nothing but stand there, killed Jenesis.

" Yeah, yeah," Finnick dismissed. " Laugh all you want."

But with the way Jenesis was laughing, he couldn't help but join in with a few chuckles of his own.

" That's hilarious!" She laughed with a hand covering her lower face.

" What about Luke? Did you end up apologizing?" Jenesis asked between chuckles.

" Yes."

Jenesis shook her head with another laugh.
" You didn't even win the reward of not having to apologize to him."

Finnick groaned after hearing Jenesis's words. Young him was scolded, slapped, and had to apologize in the end. He got nothing from the situation except learning that he had a mean right hook. " He was such an ass." 

Jenesis yawned in exhaustion. The story oddly feeling like a bed time story that lulled her to sleep. Having her imagine a shorter Finnick punching a boy his age, successfully breaking his nose, and running away to live the life of a deserted pirate in a cave.

It would make for quite the dream.

" You're tired?" Finnick asked with a big smile.
" Did my story lull you to sleep?"

" If I say yes how big will your head get?"

Finnick snickered in response, a yawn of his own erupting from him because of Jenesis. His eyes began to droop from his own exhaustion that swept over him, and Jenesis was sure she had a mirrored look.

" I think that's enough bed time stories for tonight." Finnick half joked as he turned onto his side. " Good night Jenesis."

Jenesis continued to stare at the ceiling. Finnick's back was facing her as he laid, and Jenesis felt a sense of calmness wash over her as her brain prepared for sleep mode.

" Oh, and Finnick..." she called out to him. Moving to look over his resting figure. " Today was hard. Maybe the hardest day I've had since all of this started. But I'm glad this is how it ended."

He didn't respond, but as she loomed over him, Jenesis could see as clear as ever the dimple that appeared on one side of his face.

" You're annoying." Jenesis huffed. Falling back to her own position as she laid on her side. Facing Finnick's back.

" Goodnight." Jenesis said lowly.

" Sweet dreams."

Whether Finnick understood or not, he was the reason to why Jenesis felt peaceful by the end of such a terrible day.

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The remainder of the victory tour flew by. After district seven, Jenesis was left numb to any other district. Whether she had killed the the boy or girl, or played no part whatsoever, she delivered her lines word for word—all the same. There were no envelopes filled with cash, or no thank you's spoken out of pity to the sunken and crying faces. She tells herself it's out of eagerness to get to district four and wrap up her tour once and for all, but deep down, Jenesis knew that it was because she couldn't dare to step out of line again. President Snow was watching, and now she must do more than keep up the appearance. She had to keep the appearance.

District six and five felt the same to Jenesis.

She wore her specially designed outfits which the cameras were loving, and spoke the words off the cards in her calm and soothing voice. As if trying to lure the crowd into the trance of blissful ignorance that was being forced upon her.

Jenesis wrapped both districts up with a nod and curt smile to the camera upon her exit.

All while trying to pretend that she didn't stab the district six boy who was suffering as a mutt, and stab the district five girl in the heart for trying to kill her against a tree.

District two was a challenge. Angry faces of people who clearly hated her, but crying mothers who stood on both platforms of Natasha and Blaze. Not even having it in them to look up at Jenesis.  She read the cards despite the insults and rage that came from both the victors and audience members.

Looking back at it,  Jenesis understands why Roman had her wear such fancy and pretty clothes for district two and one.

When she was done speaking, she made sure to flash the crowd and cameras a big smile. Taking long strides off the stage past the bitter victors who muttered under their breath.

If she was going to be called a bitch, she might as well act like one.

District one had managed to be worse.

They seemed to hate everything about Jenesis, but she could clearly see it was rooted in jealousy and anger. They tried to break through the barricade to get to her the moment she spoke the words ' thank your tributes for aiding to my victory'.

It was insane and impossible to believe. But Jenesis stood tall with her confident voice, beauty queen ponytail, in her firm pink corset dress.

They made her job harder than necessary, but Jenesis only hoped her confidence from their bitter behavior would help her redeem herself to President Snow.

She made sure to give the rowdy crowd of district one a pearly smile before existing.

After a rough few days, home was her final stop.

The night before arriving in district four was spent in Finnick's room. After their conversation following her speech in district seven, it had became a routine for Jenesis to end the night by sleeping in Finnick's bed. Sometimes starting with conversation as they stared at the ceiling, or enjoying the tranquility they brought one another in silence.

" Jenesis you look gorgeous in that blue jumpsuit!" Star gushed from beside Giovanni.
" Ugh! Your figure is to die for! I mean where is the waist?!"

Jenesis resisted the strong urge to roll her eyes at the woman. She currently stood in the Justice Building of district four, her sister, Mags, Finnick, Sasha, and her entire prep team all present as they waited for the mayor to take the stage.

It had been decided last minute that they wanted to straighten Jenesis's hair pin straight to bring out her outfit, ultimately making her prep team late to do her makeup. So as Sasha finished applying her lip combination, she gave Star and Giovanni a eyebrow raise of recognition.

" You look like a doll," Dolla mumbled to Jenesis as she brushed her blonde hair down her back. " I know you hear it all the time, but—truly—you are the most beautiful girl I've ever worked with. Capital and District."

Jenesis couldn't help the smile that came onto her face as Dolla gave her a playful wink. Compliments regarding her appearance felt better and more honest when it came from someone who rarely praised her. Dolla didn't spend time gushing over the beauty she was working with, instead taking time to illuminate what she was working with to the best of her ability.  She only ever gave nods and gentle claps once she was done with Jenesis.

Complete opposite to Star and Giovanni.

The skinny woman moved around her with the hair brush. Making sure to get every fly away to be pin straight, and blend in with the rest of Jenesis's hair.

" Where's Roman?" Jenesis asked Dolla curiously.

" Oh yes," she spoke in remembrance. " He told me to tell you that he's making final adjustments to the dress you'll wear in two days at the Victors Party Celebration in the President's mansion."

Jenesis nodded her head, watching as Dolla dropped the brush and picked up her highlighter.

" The party you had after your games was light work. Only people who supported you came, which was clearly a lot. But this party, it's everyone." Dolla spoke with clear excitement in her own eyes. " Politicians, the Presidents friends, actors and actresses—"

" I even heard the Al Ghul family will be there!" Sasha joined in with excitement and a wide smile on her pale face. " It's important that you make note of everyone and remember all faces! You must dance with people, and mingle! It's big names and families making an appearance."

Jenesis blinked in surprise at the shift in conversation. " Shouldn't we have this conversation a bit later?" She chucked nervously. 

" Yes but it's very important." Dolla spoke firmly. " They're all trying to outshine each other, but you must outshine everyone. You have to."

Jenesis swallowed thickly. Trying to keep her face eased and relaxed as the shimmery powder was dusted on her nose bridge, cheekbones, forehead, eyebrows, and above her and below her lips.

" I think the mayor is getting on stage now." Jenesis spoke just as Dolla closed the pallet.

The two capital women glanced at the screen projecting what was outside the doors, and indeed, the mayor— Douglas Marino—had finally got onto the stage. Jenesis watched as Dolla began to murmur to Sasha about whether or not Jenesis looked camera ready. After furious nods, and hands smoothing the material of the blue jumpsuit—the two women finally backed off.

" I'm good?" Jenesis asked with a raised brow.

Sasha took two slow steps to Jenesis. Her heels clacking against the floor as she placed her cold hands onto Jenesis's shoulder.

" Honey you're not good, you're drop dead gorgeous."

Jenesis resisted the urge to laugh as Sasha stepped back. She settled on giving her escort—who had her moments—like right now, a smile and shy nod.

Just as Douglas Marino began to speak to her home crowd regarding the games and Jenesis's win—which has resulted in full belly's, rich food, and less stress—Finnick had appeared in front of her.

" Why do you always look at me like that?" He asked as he halted to stand beside Jenesis.

Jenesis curled her lips up as she craned back her neck. " Like what?"

" As if I shouldn't be in your air space," Finnick spoke with hand gestures and a faint smile.
" Like I snuck in here or something."

Jenesis couldn't help but shake her head and laugh. Feeling herself begin to un-tense from the prior conversations.

" I don't look at you like that." Jenesis denied. Seizing her laughter in the slightest upon realizing the mayor was talking. " I just don't know what to expect from you, that's all."

" What do you mean?" Finnick asked with faint amusement. " What can you possibly expect from me other than mentoring?"

His question was sarcastic, and Jenesis couldn't help how she answered in her head. Stories of you as a child, favorite foods, who is Mags favorite.  

" Right," Jenesis settled on. Playing along.
" We only ever talk about mentor and tribute stuff."

Finnick gave her a wiggle of his brows, turning his body to the monitor just as Douglas Martino began to recite all the victors of district four.

" Did I tell you how beautiful you look today Jenesis?" Finnick asked without sparing her a glance.

Despite how often she heard the compliment, something about Finnick praising her looks made Jenesis stall. Not once for the whole tour has he made commentary on her clothes and what she was wearing, and she hadn't seemed to notice up until now.

Jenesis swallowed whatever got stuck in her throat upon hearing Finnick's words, and she couldn't help but be grateful that he was looking at the monitor—unable to see the flush that reached her face.

" If you did you'd remember." She countered as cooly as possible. " So no. You didn't."

" Well than," Finnick started lowly. " You look very beautiful."

" You just said that."

Jenesis could hear a faint snicker from Finnick before silence took over them for no more than five seconds. Only the sound of the mayors voice projecting in the room could be heard, and in that time, Jenesis let her eyes wander and catch her sister and Mags. Who were exchanging waves from a distance.

" On a serious note Jenesis," Finnick began in a much lower tone than before. " Mags actually wanted me to tell you something during breakfast today, but I didn't want to psyche you early. I know this is home, but still remember what I told you. About how we all care for you, genuinely care. Some people—"

"— don't think I should've won." Jenesis finished with a nod of bitter understanding.
" I'm not dumb. Zayden was a career tribute. Fours first one since the 66th games. Even on the reaping stage I could tell he was their pride and I was their loss."

" You're alive and here." Finnick mumbled just as Sasha signaled for Jenesis to approach the doors. " That's all that matters."

Jenesis didn't respond. Walking forward with a her lips pursed as she stood behind the doors to the justice building. Waiting for Douglas Martino to introduce her to the people of her home.

I'll look at Cinthia, Jenesis thought to herself as she raised her chin high.

" Please bring your hands together for our newest victor, winner of the 69th Hunger Games, in her home; District Four—Jenesis Hammaz."

The doors opened to reveal her, and Jenesis hesitated at the loud applause of the crowd. Her eyes scanned the audience from her spot, taking in the smiling faces, clapping hands, and cheers from almost everyone old and young. Jenesis shook her head with a nervous smile, giving Douglas who was applauding her with a warm smile a nod, and the cameras a faint smile as she approached the mic.

They're actually still happy to see me, Jenesis thought with surprise as the applause continued on.

" Good morning," Jenesis read from the cards into the mic. Giving a smile when the citizens of her home finally began quiet down. " Good morning citizens of my home, district four. Today I come to you all to present my gracious win—to the thanks of the capital, that has provided us with many delicacies that we do not see everyday."

Jenesis glanced up to catch the reaction of the crowd before her, and her eyes met with Cinthia's smiling face. Her eyes were watery as she held her hands together. Staring at Jenesis with a look too soft than she deserved.

In that moment, Jenesis didn't mind if the whole of her home was frowning at her right now—in which they weren't—all that mattered was the soft look of someone who genuinely cared for her. Despite her wrong doings that were forced upon her.

" I give thanks to my mentors, Mags Flagan—Victor of the 11th Hunger Games, and Finnick Odair—victor of the 65th Hunger Games, who prepared me to rise to the occasion. Willing me to be able to stand before you all as Jenesis Hammaz from District Four—Victor of the 69th Hunger Games."

As Jenesis continued on with her speech to home, she thoroughly made sure to speak loud and clear.

Cinthia's soft gaze, Jasmines encouragement, Mags warm reminders, and Finnick's words guided Jenesis through the pain of every  praise that came out of her mouth.

Zayden was a well known boy. Zayden was a boy from the academy of four. Known to soon volunteer for the games once he was at age, and bring immense pride to district four from the moment he stepped onto stage. Zayden was a boy from home that was expected to do a lot of things. A boy that was misguided and deceived. He was a boy that was led to the slaughter house—not knowing he was to be slaughtered. He was a child that was lied to, and thrown to the side like nothing after being persuaded that he was everything.

As Jenesis spoke about her partner, she stared into the eyes of Zayden. Dark brown and haunting. The way he tilted his head slightly in the projection had Jenesis blinking quickly.

It was almost as if Zayden saw the irony of how Jenesis—the girl from his home who didn't train, whom he tried to kill—had everything he was supposed to have.

Zayden of District Four has been reduced to nothing, and Jenesis was risen to be everything. It wasn't supposed to be like this, and that's something Jenesis believes they both could've agreed on.

" I'm sorry for the loss of Zayden," Jenesis spoke to the crowd with altered words.

Jenesis hadn't bothered scanning the crowd of district four for a reaction. " But we must remember that with great loss comes a great win."

The words stung. They burned at Jenesis's eyes, knotted her throat, and twisted in her stomach. It hadn't took her long to let the words she said register—following her reading them off the cards, and immediately releasing them to Zayden's straight faced father that stood on his platform.

She peeled her eyes away from Zayden's dad— who seemed to be the only person in four wearing a frown on their face.

—That was a lie. Jenesis was aware that there was a minority upset by her victory. It was either they concealed it, or simply were camouflaged by the majority.

Jenesis placed her gaze back to Cinthia. Reminding herself for a split second that a man by the name of Vincent was no longer living amongst civilization.  " I am honoured that it was me who was able to bring home the win for District four. As we continue to move forward as the nation of Panem, we'll be remembered by all as the winning District of the 69th Annual Hunger Games."

An applause scattered the silence of the crowd, taking Jenesis aback in temporary shock. One hand suddenly turned into many, hoots and hollers joining in to celebrate. Jenesis caught herself with a blink back in reality, and forced a nervous smile onto her face.

It was times like this that Jenesis was reminded that District Four was a half and half district.

Some lived in as luxurious district can get, and some were poor. Some people were very full by the end of a day, and some simply just weren't satisfied. Some praised the Games and the rewards it comes with, and some couldn't help but think of the dying children each year—wether their own returned or not.

You all won the games, Jenesis thought to herself as she on looked the crowd. Of course you're all celebrating.

Her eyes drifted back to Cinthia, and her blonde friend was now staring at her with a small smile. Her hands crossed tightly in her front as she gave Jenesis a reassuring nod.

She gets it, Jenesis thought as she leaned into the mic amongst the applause.

" Thank you all once again. Panem today, Panem tomorrow," Jenesis inhaled a deep breath and exhaled a bright smile. " — and Panem forever."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Finally that's done!" Sasha exasperated as they gathered at the dinner table. Jenesis had stepped one foot into home—stood before where she longed to be, and was removed with no willpower to fight back or plead for more time. After delivering her morning speech and eating brunch with the mayor—Douglas Marino, she was allowed to walk around the streets of  home before they had to ultimately board the train. She spent her few hours with Finnick, Mags, and Jasmine, walking around the market, and the latter saying her hellos to her friends like Jack Jaeger.

Before it reached the time to board the train and head for the capital, Jenesis had forced Finnick to use his money to buy all of them pastries and fruits from various vendors and shopkeepers along the sandy and rocky grounds of district four.

She found great happiness in watching Jasmine and Jack eat sweets to their hearts content.

" One more stop! And trust me, this is by far going to be the best one!" The woman squealed as she took her seat. " You did so marvellous on this tour Jenesis. The outfits, the hair, the face card, and— the confidence! You just got better and better with each district!"

" None of that was me," Jenesis denied.

" Girl it was all you!" Giovanni chirped in with a wave of his hand in dismissal to her words.
" Everyone knows you can wear a garbage bag and still look fabulous!"

Giovanni and Star began to laugh as if the joke ran deeper than the rest of the table was aware. " Roman don't get any bright ideas!"

" Oh, I won't," the man said quickly with a shake of his head.

Jenesis exhaled a subtle breath of air as she placed a piece of cornbread on Mags plate. The older woman only giving her hand a squeeze in appreciation, and quickly signing something to Jenesis. Immediately she was reminded that Finnick and Mags engaged in a whole other language done by hands, and she was due to learn after her victory tour was officially over. Seeing the look on Mags face which was clearly teasing her lack of understanding, Jenesis made a confused face as a cheeky grin came onto the woman's face beside her.

" She said thank you," Finnick spoke to Jenesis from beside Jasmine. His words threatening to blend in with the various conversations at the table. " I guess Mags here is trying to cheat, and give you early lessons."

Jenesis scoffed. Only sparing Finnick one glance as she scooped a spoon of hot fluffy rice onto her plate. " Oh please. You and me both know I don't need to cheat to learn faster than you."

" — You said it took you a year and how long?"
Jenesis teased with a grin coming onto her face as she fixed a spoon of rice on her sisters plate.

" I said it took me six months."

" No you didn't." Jasmine quickly intervened with a frown as she looked at Finnick. " Stop lying."

Jenesis and Mags stifled their laughter at the look of shock that painted Finnick's face. His mouth gaping open as the little girl beside him stared him down.

" Finnick have some manners and close your mouth!" Sasha shrieked in terror making it all the more funnier.

Jenesis couldn't help but put her head in her hands as laughs wrecked through her body—effectively shaking her shoulders.

" What's so funny?" Roman asked with a faint smile on his face. Breaking his conversation with Dolla. " Jenesis you're going to choke."

Jenesis inhaled a deep breath to control herself as Mags rubbed and patted at her back.

" Nothing." She dismissed cooly. Reaching for the mango fusion juice in desperate need of a refresher.

" Well since we're all laughing," Dolla started clasping her hands together. " Let's talk the party in Snows Mansion."

Jenesis fought her facial muscles to not drop.

She released a hitched breath as Giovanni and Star began to squeal in excitement at the mention of Snows Mansion. It was as if they were sibling with the way their actions correlated, and how they were both so in sync with their dumbness.

" Yes!" Star squealed. " I've been attending each mansion party for as long as I could remember! But I was just a regular guest! Now I'm apart of the Jenesis Hammaz's prep team!"

Jenesis quickly set the glass bottle down to take a sip of the mango juice. Successfully hiding the disgust on her face as she eyed the two.

Giovanni quickly nodded in agreeing with his friend. " Right! Someone asked me before the tour what Jenesis's skin feels like! If it's as soft as it looked on the interview night."

The two snickered at the last part of Giovanni's sentence as if it was the most funniest thing on earth, and Jenesis resisted the growing urge to throw her glass at their faces.

If it wasn't for Mags warm hand on hers under the table, she's sure she would've.

" Well I hope you didn't answer." Dolla spoke rather firmly with a pointed look at Giovanni.

The snickering ended immediately as both Gio and Star went silent. " O-of course not."

" Good." Dolla spoke with a sip of her red wine.
" Because the last thing we need is people knowing our techniques as a routine. Matter of fact in general. You both know Jenesis's soft glam makeup look has been on the Capital television network every morning, and the citizens are dying to know her routine. You mustn't let anyone know."

Jenesis wasn't sure how the conversation went from trying to talk about the party in Snows mansion, to her get ready makeup routine. It was sudden, but she wasn't complaining.

The two nodded firmly. The light they had in them—filled with stars and pure idiocy—switched off by the way they lowered their heads and began to silently eat their food.

Funny.

" Anyways," Sasha dismissed with a tight smile.
" The party is a big yearly event that is basically the party of the year! It celebrates the victor of the Hunger Games, which is you, and the President even toasts to you!"

Jenesis took a bite of her cornbread in attempt to dissociate in some way from the conversation. " And it's bigger than the last party?"

" Much bigger." Dolla confirmed as if it was the most obvious thing. " Much, much bigger. That was just a rented party space thrown by people who supported your win."

Jenesis frowned. Swallowing the cakey bread in her mouth with bored eyes. " Isn't this the same? People who support my win?"

Dolla blinked at Jenesis as if she was asking the most stupidest question. " No."

" This one is the Presidents Mansion, Jenesis!" Sasha quickly filled seeing Dolla's silence.
" People are attending because it's the President himself. It is his mansion. No one wants to miss out on that whether or not they support your win! There's big names there! Which means more food and drinks, and a much more formal dress code!"

Roman could see that Jenesis was suffering heavily from confusion rooted in her natural disinterest in the conversation.

It was obvious that the blonde girl was contemplating whether or not she wanted Sasha to elaborate, or let the conversation die out—therefore risking her understanding.

" It's a party in honor of the victor that year and what they inspired." Roman cut in placing a crispy piece of salmon in his mouth. " Jenesis you're very trendy in the capital—since it all started, so it's going to be go big or go home. You've had many trends. More, especially now that we've finished the tour through the districts. People are getting creative because you've given them lots to work with. Everyone's trying to out dress another. Trying to outshine each other. Using creativity."

" —That's the effect of being a diamond!" Star chirped in lowly. Unfortunately coming out of her silence.

Roman took a sip of his wine as he furrowed his brows. Effectively hiding his discomfort like Jenesis had with her glass of juice. " Yes it is. Leaves us with a hot trail, but no one can outdo the doer."

" Well we all trust Romans work." Finnick added in hopes to steer the conversation elsewhere. " I'm sure he has something great for the party. So no outdoing will happen."

Roman gave Finnick a grateful smile upon hearing his words. His posture as humble as ever, but Jenesis could see that the current topic was not his favorite. His lips pursed too quickly, and his shoulders were unnaturally stiff.

Jenesis narrowed her eyes at her stylist from behind her glass cup. Words dancing around in her brain but halting the moment Dolla started speaking again.

" The clothes is one thing," she started. Interlocking her hands and resting her head on her makeshift surface. " But the people are another."

" — We all have strong faith that Jenesis will be dressed beautifully. None of us will be dressing in her attire colors but we'll have a dash of her fabric incorporated with our own outfits. But it's not only about the clothes, it's the names of the guest that are also grabbing attention."

Jenesis nodded her head slowly. " So I'm guessing this conversation can't wait till we get to the tribute center?"

" No." Dolla quickly responded.  " I thought about it. We'll be in a rush to get you started as soon as possible— and we're already arriving late afternoon. I don't want to leave out any information tomorrow at lunch."

" Yes! You're glam routine for tomorrow is grand!" Star spoke with all previous embarrassment drained out of her face.
" We probably won't even have enough time in us to talk as we work!"

" Which is wonderful." Dolla said as she fixed an eye on her assistants. " But I think it's important that Jenesis hears from us now about all the guests, and the importance to mingle! Tell her Finnick!"

Finnick sputtered for a second at the call out. The confusion and surprise was extinguished. Disappearing off his face as he nodded his head with a grin on his lips. Jenesis blinked at Finnick blankly as he dramatically dropped his fork. His demeanour quickly changing from the selfless caring boy she knows to a arrogant prick eager to prove he's right.

" There's plenty to know," Finnick started with a bitterness only she and Mags could hear.

Jenesis relaxed back in the chair as a flicker of sorrow flashed in his eyes. Clearly, there was no way to avoid the conversation he knew she didn't want to have.

" — From old money families, famous actors and actresses, powerful politicians, and even Snows friends themselves." Finnick's voice delved into a lower tone that almost resembled a purr as he slowly listed the types of guest. Jenesis could've sworn she heard Star and Giovanni squeal.

" It's important to engage yourself." He spoke with an emphasis to his words. " People don't just want a three minute dance with you where they tell you their name and talk about how much they enjoyed your games, yada yada yada."

Jenesis narrowed her eyes.

"—They want to read you. See how well you can hold a conversation, keep one going—they want to relate to you." It was sickening. Because Jenesis knew she would never be able to relate with someone actively living in the capital. As a capital born citizen, less ignorance is already a miracle on its own.

" How? Might you ask, simple. Lots of them sponsored you. Gathered up plenty of money— me and Mags didn't even know what to do with it—in hopes that they could talk with you and get to hear your unfinished story before anyone else does. The President's friends kept sending you food, and the Al Ghul families eldest son— Maxentius Al Ghul the Third, paid thousands to get you medicine. So yeah, their definitely expecting more than a brief chat."

The dinner table was quiet as Finnick's words hung in the air. He had clearly explained the guest list accurately because no one made move to interrupt him. Instead, taking the time to get in as much spoons and bites of food as possible.

"  Maxentius the Third?" Jenesis questioned with a raised brow as she looked to Dolla.
" And I thought medicine was a typical gift?"

" It is." Dolla spoke. Slightly muffled with her skinny hand placed over her mouth. " But the Gamemakers made it very expensive for your games due to their being many attention worthy tributes and alliances. Everything you needed was in the arena, and they wanted the cards to fall naturally. Medicine wasn't banded though, but it was indeed extremely pricey. And for the first time, the Al Ghul family sent a gift into the arena. Specifically Maxentius the Third."

" And Maxentius the Third is a name everyone in the capital knows!" Sasha added upon seeing Jenesis's look of shock. " A very old money family they are. They own relics of jewelry and art from before Panem—and not illegally because all previous Presidents of the past including Snow, have given them the green card—"

" —And the entire family is going to be there?" Jenesis interrupted with urgency in her tone.

Sasha blinked at her," What?"

" This Maxentius guy," Jenesis started as her brows furrowed together. " He's going to be there, right?"

" He has to be." Finnick confirmed with a shrug as if the confirmation didn't bother him. He knew how these capital old money families worked, and unfortunately, Jenesis was in a debt similar to his own with his trident.
" I mean I haven't been to the capital since the party but, you know—"

" He will be." Roman voiced with certainty.
" I happened to overhear Mrs. Al Ghul's assistant at the silk shop discussing her fabrics for the Presidents Party. Referring to you...obviously."

" But you see?" Dolla started once again seeing Jenesis's conflicted face. " People are referring to it as the Presidents Party. The Al Ghul family is probably the only family in the Capital that has willingly not shown up to President Snow's Annual Victors Party. The last one they attended was almost ten years ago. It's almost as if the whole thing is below them in a sense."

" —So the fact that they're coming this year, Maxentius and the entire family, clearly says a lot." Sasha finished for Dolla.

Jenesis let out a huff as the table fell into a silence as everyone continued eating their food.  
There was many questions running through her mind about why exactly this old money family from the capital—and their son by the name of Maxentius the Third, who had saved her life with medicine in the arena—are suddenly interested in attending the Presidents Mansion Party.

The way Finnick had even spoke about her sponsors, admirers, and the Al Ghul family had unnerved Jenesis. What exactly motivated Maxentius to sponsor Jenesis and her allies in the arena? His family had never sponsored a tribute in the games before, and medicine was supposedly the most expensive gift.

Jenesis was used to getting attention from all types of Capital people. She became popular for her blank face as she accepted death. Her gorgeous white dress that belonged to her mother Giselle. Her figure, witty comments, strong personality, skill, and now her ability to be trendy. Being noticed for breathing wasn't out of the ordinary, but something about the Al Ghul families acknowledgement unnerved Jenesis.

—Boiling something in her gut that told her it wasn't good.

Jenesis didn't need to make eye contact with Finnick to know what he was saying to her.

I'm in debt, Jenesis thought to herself as she eyed her plate. Someone— not just a normal citizen, but someone apart of a old money family—had paid thousands of dollars to sponsor her. Breaking their family streak, and making a name with Jenesis Hammaz as the first tribute sponsored by the Al Ghul family.

It was news. Something that she couldn't just repay with conversation, smiles, and mindless flirting.

The debt too hefty to be left unattended to, and Jenesis was bitterly reminded of her position as the Diamond of the Capital. The high maintenance girl President Snow wants her to be that dates rich men that are seemingly not enough.

Maxentius Al Ghul the Third. Was that who she was to date?

Jenesis felt her stomach knot. Her throat bobbing subtly because her thoughts made too much sense.

She wasn't overthinking, not this time. If President Snow wanted Jenesis to date a rich man, who else was better than Maxentius to start off? He's rich, he sponsored her, he's from a well known family, therefore President Snow and their family tree must be of some acquaintance.

Jenesis had a high debt, and now she understood that sponsors must be rewarded one way or another.

" Jennie?" Jasmine called out in a whisper. Shaking Jenesis from her thoughts. 

Jenesis blinked. Her eyes peeling off her half eaten plate of food with more food than glass. She gave the table a brief once over, and she was surprised to see that everyone was mingling in their own side conversations. Odd—compared to the sight she had seen before she blanked out when everyone was eating in silence. No one stared questionably at her like Jenesis expected—besides Finnick and Mags, so she slowly fixed her gaze onto her sister.

" Yes?" She countered with another blink.

" You got really quiet." Jasmine responded in the same low voice. " You haven't said anything for the last five minutes. You suddenly got as white as a betta and just stared at your plate. You didn't even touch your food. Are you okay? And don't lie to me."

Jenesis could've laughed at the intimidating scowl that came onto her sisters face following her question. But her demeanour refused to shift with how tense she had gotten following her epiphany.

" I'm not exactly okay." Jenesis whispered even lower. " I'm just thinking."

It wasn't a complete lie.

Enough for her sister to believe that she was being told the truth, but still untruthful enough to leave her in the dark.

" Finnick's worried." Jasmine spoke as she drank her juice. Seeing the look of confusion  that came onto Jenesis's face, she proceeded on to not leave her sister in the dark. " Don't look at him—but he kept staring at you with worry on his face. Then he tried to kick your leg but he kicked mine instead."

It took everything in Jenesis to not immediately glance up at Finnick. She wasn't surprised that Finnick was worried about her, he always was. He after all, was the one that told Jenesis to pretend as if everything ends at District Seven and Four. That nothing follows after the tour around the twelve districts of Panem, and she had chosen to believe him.

His words to encourage a delusional thought had helped her wake up and repeat the same guilty acts of the day before. Pretending that it was to be over soon made Jenesis forget all about being the Diamond of the Capital.

She began to yearn for the salty water of district four, the scent of fish in the markets—Jenesis was excited to wake up and make Jack Jaeger and Jasmine Hammaz fruit bowls for lunch.

But like everything else, the delusion was only temporary. And Jenesis was reminded that there was more after the victory tour. She did have an image, and it didn't disappear in district seven.

" I'll be okay," Jenesis told her sister who only looked at her with uncertainty. " Im not okay right now—"

Seeing her sisters straight face, and attempted glare, she huffed—" but there's been worst, right?"

Jenesis could see that Jasmine had something to say in response. Her sisters words we're not comforting or convincing, and held an edge to them that made her 12 year old sister stumble around her mental dictionary in attempt to find her response. Jasmine never found it.
So Jenesis gave her a smile as she watched her lips purse together in defeat. Taking her answer for what it was as they returned to open body language at the dinner table.

" This tour went by so fast!" Giovanni cried to Sasha, catching the attention of the whole group.

Jenesis felt her brow twitch, struggling to not show her annoyance upon hearing his words. 

As per usual, her struggle was overlooked as Giovanni spoke again. " I swear we were just highlighting her hair for the tour—"

" For the tour?" Sasha asked in bewilderment.
" We were just prepping her for the games not too long ago!"

The two snickered and Jenesis let her sister roll her eyes on her behalf. Everyone, that being Finnick, Mags, Jasmine, Roman, and Jenesis herself, knew that this tour was far from fast. It went by slow, and it was agonizing. Had it not  been for Finnick and his hospitality to her, she would have spent every night withering away in her nightmares. Reliving every predatory and prey moment she had in the arena. The morning of each speech wasn't any better for Jenesis either. Guilt would often eat at her appetite. Robbing her the want to eat much food on some days, and sometimes making her want to eat more than her stomach could handle.

Each day was slow and painful. Graphic and fresh in Jenesis's memory.

Nothing about the tour went by fast.

" We all enjoy working with one another," Roman interfered before Giovanni could respond to Star. " But we must remember that this is work. We all have a long day ahead of us when we arrive in the capital tomorrow afternoon. We have time to settle into the Tribute Centre and the condo, eat dinner, sleep, and wake up at sunrise to prepare for the evening."

Jenesis appreciated Roman's quick and very subtle save. He managed to turn what was to come into a lecture about work and the party, but not diving too deep into the topic to start another conversation that he knew Jenesis was trying to avoid.

When his eyes met her own, she made sure to give him a smile. 

" We should call it a night then." Finnick spoke. Breaking his silence. " Dinner was lovely, but it's best we sleep now than the night before."

Upon hearing his words, Jenesis was reminded that Finnick for the first time in 6 months was going back to the capital. He had his own prep team waiting for him. Ready to display him to his lovers and admirers in all ways possible. His facade was coming back, and it was here to stay this time.

She glanced at him with a pathetic look of pity on her half, and when he caught her stare as he gazed at everyone—shooting her a quirked brow, Jenesis couldn't help but flush in sheer embarrassment.

Finnick didn't need her pity. And considering she would be in his shoes in no time, she should focus on developing her own facade—one that was certainly staying this time.

" Well than," Jenesis started as she drank the rest of her juice. " goodnight everyone."

Choruses or goodnights came back in response. Everyone took their last bites and sips as the avoxes stood to the side upon seeing their preparation to depart. The guilt of leaving her dishes to someone else was brief. Coming in a wave to engulf her, and than passing over her—leaving her to feel nothing once again.  Jenesis gently grasped Jasmines shoulder to lead her to her bedroom.

Jenesis glanced at Finnick and Mags before she exited the train cart. A goodnight to the older mother figure, and a see you soon to her blonde friend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~•~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

" Is it that bad?" Jenesis asked Finnick as they stared at the ceiling of his room. It was a normal occurrence now. Jenesis would tuck her sister in, bid goodnight to Mags and her very unlikable prep team, do her last freshen ups of the night in her room, and then finally start or end the day with the comfort of Finnick. Jenesis hasn't woken up terrified in a while. She hasn't woken up to the sight of a dead child she once knew in a while. Not that she intends to speak for Finnick, Jenesis believes it's been the same for him.

" The mansion party or everything in general?" Finnick asked with a steady exhale.

" I guess the idea to not think past the tour is out the window." Jenesis mumbled. When she saw the unfortunate look Finnick gave her—as if he was sorry that she even made an effort to listen to that advice he gave her—she frowned. " It's fine. It was delusional anyways. But yeah, I guess I was talking about the mansion party. Is it that...serious?"

Finnick nodded his head. His eyes going back to the yellow illuminated ceiling. His green gaze seemingly thinking back to the past, almost five years ago. A younger version of the man he is today horrified that the couple that sponsored him the trident looked forward to his company once he became a man.

It's crazy that 16 year old Finnick was a man to them. But it's even more crazy to think that fresh 15 year old Finnick thought that the day he would repay the debt was years away from then.

To this day, Finnick is still paying them and many others to lift the debt that won't ever go away. But it's the memory of how he felt that night that makes his heart beat wildly. Allowing his inner thoughts to degrade him to nothing but a bed mate for the capital.

" Yeah." Finnick spoke with a sigh. " It's bad. They're all like demons. Dancing around in hell with their bloody money funding their life."

" —And we're dancing with them." Jenesis finished. " The last party I felt so out of place, and as the night progressed I got used to the routine. Dancing with them, listening to their life stories, their reactions—I adapted. I tuned out what they were saying and I tolerated it. Now...I don't know what I'll do. The more I tolerate, the more I become them."

" You shouldn't think of it like that." Finnick quickly spoke. " I would say it's like a mask—all the pretending we'll have to do—but it's more like a body suit. We gotta stay extra protected. But either which way you can still take the suit off."

" —It's not our faults. You said that. Yeah we're tolerating, but that doesn't make us them."

Jenesis inhaled a deep breath and closed her eyes. The distant memory of cold hands searing into her skin; taking comfort on her shoulders, resting on her hips—engraved itself into her mind. Jenesis could briefly recall the blend of pastel colours from almost 7 months ago.
Ms. Leonheart's smile as she spoke to her that night at the party was disturbing. It was as if she was yearning for someone she knew she couldn't obtain. So she desperately tried to charm her way through her fate with smiles and hugs.

The feeling of hands clutching her, and engulfing her from months ago made Jenesis shiver. It was her first time experiencing the desire of the capital, but she knew she wasn't the only one being sent back to experience it again.

" I'm sorry." Jenesis gently spoke to Finnick upon opening her eyes. Turning to face him just in time to see him peel his gaze off the ceiling to look at her.

He blinked in confusion. " For what?"

" For all of this—" Jenesis emphasized with her eyes. " —dragging you back to the capital."

Finnick only stared at her for a few seconds. The shock on his face never relaxing but rather growing, because it seemed like with every passing second—Jenesis's words soaked in more than it had the last.

" No." He briefly responded with the shake of his head. " No, no, no. You don't—you didn't drag me here."

Jenesis shook her head at his denial. " You've been out of the capital for 6 months Finnick. I was so busy peddling through my own storm that I didn't even take into consideration how you must feel. With every passing district. you were also getting closer and closer to the capital."

Finnick let out a long sigh. The furrow of his brows showing deep disappointment and defeat. " Jen..."

Finnick quickly sat up in the bed. His hands running through his hair in clear frustration as he tossed the white covers off of him. The covers slipped off of Jenesis's shoulders with his movements, and the clear stress on his face made her prop herself onto her elbow.

" None of this," Finnick started with a conflicted expression on his face. "—none of it, is your fault. Okay?"

" Finnick—"

" No Jenesis." He warned immediately.
" For the last three years I've watched all of my tributes die. Gave my all to bring them home, made promises, and nothing worked. The first year I threw up due to guilt. Couldn't even walk around district four for three months upon returning. The second year I chugged down a whole bottle of alcohol by myself. I thought Haymitch and Chaff were my best forms of company. Last year, I just accepted it. Saw that the games were rigged, and I gave up. When my tributes died, I just left and called it a day."

" —Going into your year Jenesis...I had no hope. None at all. Not until I saw you that night. Heard you." Finnick's eyes flashed with a hue of something Jenesis remembers strongly from before her games.

—A look of adoration that you can only have with a handful of people in your life.

" I knew I had to get you home." He finished with a shake of his head. " It was your doing. You came home—despite what I sent you. What I taught you. It was you that fought in that arena."

" We both know why we fought so hard..." Jenesis trailed off as her eyes wandered the room.

Memories from what felt like forever ago began to resurface in her mind.

Warm words with so much meaning and love behind them, gentle touches, mental support that Jenesis has never gotten before, and sweet kisses that felt so right though everything about them was wrong.

" I don't expect anything from you."

" Trust me Finnick I know that."

Finnick nodded quickly. Comforted by Jenesis's reassurance. " Everyday you spent in that arena was hell for me. For Mags too. We watched you struggle and fight. But you made it back. You came back to all of us. And I really needed that— someone to come home."

Finnick shook his head, " It's selfish to say, but it's the truth."

Jenesis laid back down onto the bed slowly. Finnick's words were a reminder that though a  mentor and tribute are the closest relation to home, there's a big difference in the two. A mentor wanted each tribute to return. For the simple sake of saving their own mind from the thought of failing yet another kid from home. While a tribute only just wanted to feel the warmth of their loved ones one more time. Hoping that they can get the easiest way out.

" Jenesis?" Finnick called, seeing that she was trekking through her mind.

Jenesis looked to Finnick with a nod of her head. " I hear you."

" I know you hear me. Are you listening though?" Jenesis pursed her lips at the intensity of Finnick's tone. " It wasn't the six months that saved me. It was you coming back home, Jenesis."

With just those words, everything that Jenesis lost the last 6 months began to piece together.

An incomplete, very empty, and definitely unorganized puzzle— piecing its way back to where it used to be prior to falling.

The doubt that plagued Jenesis's mind, that creuely questioned her survival everyday, and juggled her importance with the names of perished children lost in July, had finally settled.

Finnick's words coaxing the monster within her to sleep, and allowing her sunrise to come much quicker than usual. Jenesis didn't deserve to die. Zayden's life wasn't more important than hers. Yes—he was stronger, he was more built, he was charming, and overall more reliable than the scrawny blonde girl who's only purpose was to provide for her sister. But he was not more important than Jenesis.

No one was supposed to live more than her. Survive the arena more than her.

So for Jenesis to hear Finnick say that he wasn't regretful to her survival like she was, was equivalent to resurfacing from deep in the ocean.

" Thank you." Was all Jenesis could say as new air filled her lungs.

Air that was light, easy to breathe, and didn't suffocate her. Jenesis allowed the covers to slip to her midsection. No longer tense with the feeling that a child amongst the perished could resurface above water.

" Don't thank me," —of course he says that.
" Goodnight Jenesis."

Jenesis remained staring at the illuminated ceiling as Finnick laid back into the covers.

A new sense of peace filled her as the feeling of importance gripped at her heart.

What a pleasant feeling it is. To be important to someone.

" Goodnight Finnick," Jenesis whispered.
" And sweet dreams."

And Jenesis fell into peace. The breathing of Finnick—who she was important to—lulling her to a new aurora.

Next Chapter ; Star Girl

She Speaks;

This chapter took about two months to I finish. I was interrupted by school so I didn't write for a good 3 weeks, but then I got back to it to finish the last two segments!

Anyways y'all peep how Finnick basically implied that Jenesis is just as much his lifelike as he is hers?🥹🥹
Talk about adorable.

Anyways it's middle of October and this chapter will be dropped December 7th—into the Christmas season!

Anyways what did you guys think of this chapter?? Thoughts?
Don't be a ghost reader!

Vote, comment, and share!!❤️❤️

Word Count ; 24,235

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

17.6K 481 75
The day snow fell upon Victor's Village, everything changed. There was no excitement, no joy, only the cold stare of scrutinising eyes into a child's...
241K 3.6K 35
"I did not pull that trigger." "...But you handed me the gun." (timeline) Catching Fire - Mockingjay Part 2 #1- finnickodair #1- catchingfire #1- the...
5.1K 153 31
π“π‡π„π˜'𝐋𝐋 π‰π”πŒπ πŽπ…π… 𝐓𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐋𝐄𝐃𝐆𝐄 π“πŽπ†π„π“π‡π„π‘. What District 2 victor, Saffron Creek, and prodigy, Finnick Odair, share is the v...
10.2K 299 20
Imagine if Finnick Odair, was somehow transported into our world after his death in Panem. Well, that's exactly what happens. He wakes up on the stre...