Harvest Moon

By Octavia_Kay

Victoria is seeking revenge against Bella after the loss of her lover. She never expected Bella to welcome he... More

The Hunt
Little Mouse
Uncertainty
Past and Future
Happy Ever After
After
Evie
Edward
Redemption
Peace
Resurrection
Disaster
A Snake In The Grass

Unlikely Acquaintance

1.8K 54 16
By Octavia_Kay

Bella's POV:

Alice has been here for a week now. It's been amazing. We've mostly been catching up. She has told me everything the Cullens have been up to, except for... Edward. They relocated to New York. Carlisle got a job at their local hospital and Esme found a job at an architecture firm. Jasper decided to start college. I didn't ask about Rosalie as she never cared for me. Emmett joined a construction crew that worked for Esme's architecture firm. They started their lives all over again with ease. I guess that's pretty easy for them to do since they've done it so many times. It had to be miserable though. I would probably move to a secluded area in the woods away from humans if I were a vampire. I'd never be seen so I wouldn't have to start my life over. 

I wonder why Edward didn't go with them. He cut things off so easily between him and I. I'll never understand why. I'd actually be angry if I weren't so... sad. I regret Alice ever telling me that she had a vision of me being a vampire. If I didn't know that, this break up would be much easier to get over. I could've been a part of their world, living happily ever after. Even if I couldn't have Edward. I'd have forever to try and find my way back to him. Edward, Edward, Edward... It's so strange when you repeat a word and it transforms into something else if you say it or think it enough. Now that I think about it, Edward is a weird name. 

"Bella... Hello, earth to Bella. You okay?" Alice brings me out of my thoughts. We are yet again in my room. She is sitting at my desk using the computer. I'm lying in bed, zoning out. 

"Yeah, I just have a lot on my mind." 

"You have nothing to fear. I told you I've been keeping an eye on Victoria's decisions, and she has decided to stay away from you for now." Alice says, standing from the desk chair and moving toward me.

"No, it's not that. Alice... I'm about to ask you something that might be a little difficult for you to answer." I try to find words to ask her about my future.

"Okay. What is it?" She hesitantly asks. 

"Could you try to see what my future will be like? Will I move on from this or am I doomed to live this unrelentless, depressing, sad life until my time comes?" I ask, hoping that just maybe I will still get to be a part of Alice's world.

"Bella, you know I can't see the future like that. My visions are based on decisions, you know that. I know you're going through a hard time right now, but it will get easier." Alice responds, tilting her head to the side and looking sad. 

"I know. It was worth a shot to ask. I just thought that if I decided that I still wanted to be changed that maybe you would see that." I try to hint. 

"Wait, what do you mean? I'm the only one around who could change you and I simply can't. I wouldn't be able to stop myself from..." Alice cuts off midsentence. She didn't need to finish speaking for me to know what she was going to say. It's incredibly difficult for her kind to just bite. Her hunger would take over and she would drain me dry. 

"I'm sorry, I never should have asked. I just can't imagine living a human life now. Growing old and alone isn't something that I look forward to. Edward is never going to want me again if I'm old and frail. I just thought that if I were to change on my own terms, he wouldn't feel the guilt of having to change me himself and damning my soul to hell. I thought he might want me back if he knew that I was like him." I start to sob.

"Bella, I don't think you fully understand what you're asking for. For one, Edward would hate me forever if I found a way to change you. Secondly, he would still blame himself. He regrets introducing you to this world. He knows what you want and thinks that if you are turned at all then he is to blame and he isn't wrong. If you never met him and found out about us, then you would still be living a regular life." Alice explains, looking a little irritated. 

I wipe my tears away. "You're right, I'm sorry. I didn't think about it that way. I'd never want to put you in position that makes you uncomfortable or ask you to do something that would make your family hate you. I know that you and Edward are close." 

"You know that you will always be my sister, but I could never even attempt to change you unless I knew you were dying. That is not an invitation to harm yourself though. I would not attempt to change you if I knew you purposefully harmed yourself just to get what you want. Not that I believe you would ever do that. You have to find a way to move on from Edward. These thoughts you're having aren't healthy. I'm not going to give you a speech on how there are still other fish in the sea, but you should find a way to let go. It's been six months." Alice says sitting down next to me.

I'm crying again. I don't want to move on. I've never loved anyone the way I love Edward. It's not fair that he gets to go on happily living forever and I'll die with this heartbreak. How could he be capable of hurting me this way? Damning me to a sad, aging life that will end tragically. Asking Alice to change me was wrong, but I will find someone to change me. Even if it is in spite of Edward.  

____________________________________________________________________

Victoria's POV:

About thirty minutes from Volterra is a town called Casole d'Elsa. According to the note that blonde vampire girl gave me, there's a museum there. I'm supposed to meet her at midnight. I have six hours to kill. I decide to stay in Volterra for the festival after all. It's not like I have anything else to do now that I can't harm Bella. I could but then I would have to live on the run from the Volturi. They offered me exactly what I was hoping for though. I know the Volturi intend to use me. Shortly after I was changed by my sister Anne the Volturi destroyed her coven, her included. The thing about being a vampire is you can never forget. Every memory we have after our transition sticks with us for all of eternity. I will forever have pure hatred in my cold dead heart for the Volturi. I could accept their offer and slowly destroy them from within. I mean why not, they're always in the way. 

After leaving the Volturi's lair, I slip back into the crowd of red, blending in and learning of the celebration they are having. They're commemorating the expulsion of Vampires from the city. Little do they know that some of the oldest vampires around live right below the city. I could imagine the massacre if the humans ever found out. Thousands of human lives would be lost. The technology that humans have could be fatal to vampires though. They would have to nuke the entire planet to win a war against vampires, and even that likely wouldn't kill all of them. We will always adapt to new environments. We will always be here. 

I wandered around the festival for a few hours watching the humans indulge themselves with Italian food, art displays, and parents gossiping as their children chase each other through the streets unattended. It's no wonder that the Volturi were able to lure a large group of them below the city to be devoured. In their soft uneducated minds, they think they are safe. No one is ever truly safe though. Humans have disgusted me my entire existence.  I don't remember a lot of my human life, but I do know that it was rough. Men using me. Women standing by and allowing it. My sister saved me by turning me, but like everything and everyone else in my life, she was taken and destroyed. I'm ready to burn this entire world to the ground. My only reason for existence is vengeance.   

As time gets closer, I make my way to Casole d'Elsa. I get there in no time by running. I already ditched the car that I stole when I first arrived in Italy. The owner will have noticed it's missing by now and reported it stolen. I find the museum fairly quickly and look at the note again to see where to meet her.  The note reads the address of the museum and to meet by the Orl, Scavi sculpture. 

The museum closed hours ago, there is no one to be seen. I easily let myself in through the back and find the sculpture. It's a degraded male face made from volcanic ash that was recovered from a tomb at an archeological dig site.  I take a look around while I wait for my visitor to arrive. Everything in this museum is older than me, and that's saying something. 

"Enjoying yourself I see." A childlike voice pierced my ears. I actually find myself startled, it's not easy for anyone to sneak up on me.

"Yes, this is quite the place for a... meeting." I say, matching the blonde vampires piercing gaze. 

"Victoria, is it? I'm Jane. You and I have something in common. You want to get to the Cullens. They have something Aro wants. He won't start an all-out war over a human girl that poses no risk to him or our kind. But he wants the mind reader and the fortune teller. They would be valuable assets for us, and I would love to deliver them to Aro myself." The girl spoke. She seemed as though she had been changed at a very young age. She was forever frozen as a teenager. 

"That's quite the introduction. You have it wrong though, I want the human girl that the Cullens are protecting. The mind reader and his human mate destroyed my mate, James. I want them to pay. I just want the girl; you can have the mind reader. He gets to live in the same hell that I do knowing he couldn't protect the person he loves most in this world. Hell, he may even voluntarily join you all after that." I suggest, hoping Jane takes the bait. 

"Hm, that might just work. The only problem is you made a promise not to touch the girl. You will have to find another way to get to the girl. I recently discovered that the Cullens relocated to New York without the girl." Jane says with a mischievous expression. 

"I was just in Forks; I saw the fortune teller at the human's house. Why did they move?" I ask, confused by this information. 

"They like to keep themselves from getting bored. They move every few decades when humans start to notice they aren't aging. They've already been in Forks for a few years. I assume they aren't ready to change the girl yet so they're allowing her to finish out school there. The fortune teller probably saw the girl's future and was concerned so she went back to check on her. Her visions are based on what people decide. You need to make the decision to not hurt the girl so that the fortune teller goes back to New York." Jane may look young and naive, but she is smart.

"So, if I decide to no longer harm the girl, how do I get my revenge?" I hiss the last word through my teeth.

"Maybe you don't need to harm the human girl. Maybe you befriend her and change her. Edward would hate that. I've spent a little time with the Cullen's, and they try their best to not change people unless it's absolutely necessary. There's a whole religious reason behind that but I won't bore you with that." Jane suggests.

I laugh at loud at her suggestion. Her piercing gaze turns into a glare. 

"You want me to befriend a human? I'd be giving Edward exactly what he wants, a lifetime with the one he loves most. I'd be doing the dirty work for him. There is no way that would work..." My sentence is cut short because I'm suddenly in excruciating pain. It feels as though every single bone in my body has been shattered. I try to move but I'm paralyzed with pain. I fall to my knees, screaming for mercy. 

Jane is standing at my side now, a smile on her face. "I am not one to be laughed at and mocked. Do not mistake my help for kindness. You have two choices. Either hear me out and get your revenge or hurt the girl and we chase you down and destroy you. I suggest you choose wisely!"

The pain fades as quickly as it came on. I immediately make the decision to leave Bella alone for now. 

"I'm sorry, I meant no disrespect." I mumble, my tail between my legs.

"Yes, you did. Most people look at me and think I'm easily manipulated because I'm young. I'll let it slide, this time." Jane says smirking.

"You call that "letting it slide"?" I ask, pointing to the floor where I had just been writhing in pain.

Jane glares at me threateningly, completely losing her smirk. I take a step back and put my hands up, backing down. She drops her glare and smiles, knowing she has complete power over me. 

"Now as I was saying... Befriend the human girl. You just want her to think you're friendly. Just long enough to get the information you need as to why she hasn't been changed yet. If her and the mind reader aren't together anymore then you could possibly change her just to spite him. Just don't decide it in the presence of the fortune teller so that she can't put a stop to your plans." Jane continues her explanation.

"That's... actually a pretty good idea. They would never see it coming. To pit them against each other would be a better outcome than killing her slowly. They could spend the rest of eternity hating each other. She may even want revenge of her own if he left her, which would push him right into your arms for defense. If he left her unprotected, she'll be completely broken. Especially knowing I've been searching for them. He had to know I'd come for her eventually..." The wheels in my head are spinning. There are so many ideas forming at an exponential rate. 

"See. Had you just heard me out we could've avoided your slight torture." Jane says smirking again. I wince at the thought of the pain coursing through my body as if I were a human that was hit by a train. I'll be sure not to piss off Jane again. 

"I think we'll be good friends. Keep me updated, Red." Jane says and then was gone just as fast as she had appeared. She is an evil little shit. I can see why the Volturi wanted her. 

I left the museum and rushed for the airport at full speed. I have plans, I just can't decide on them yet. 

____________________________________________________________________

Bella's POV:

"So, since it's been a week since Victoria has changed her decision to hurt you, I think you are safe enough for me to leave for a bit." Alice says as we're out walking. It's a muggy day but it isn't raining, yet. A perfect day for a walk.

"You're coming back, right?" I ask anxiously. I'm not ready to be alone again.

"Yes, I'm coming back but Bella. I can't stay here forever. We know that you're safe now. It's time for you to move on with your life, meet someone. Hang out with some friends from school. I need to hunt. While I'm gone maybe you should invite Angela over. You know she adores you. You've pushed everyone away." Alice suggests, concern in her tone.

"I know I haven't been a very good friend lately. I'll call her. How long will you be gone?" I'm still not entirely convinced that Alice will come back.

"I'm leaving tonight, I'll be back tomorrow morning. You just have to get through the night without me. Will you be okay?" Now Alice sounds anxious. 

"Yeah, I'll call Angela. You need to feed. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine." I say, trying to sound convincing. I'm not even sure if I even convinced myself. 

It starts drizzling out, so we decide to make our way back to my house. I call Angela and she agrees to come over and watch a movie with me. It'll be nice to catch up with her. It really has been so long since I have conversated with anyone besides Alice. I hung out with Jacob a few times, but he stopped talking to me. When I confronted him about it, he said he had new friends. He seemed adamant about not wanting to be around me anymore. I assume it's because he found out that the Cullens being vampires. He said and I quote "You've known about those filthy bloodsuckers all along". I tried to deny it but I'm not very good at lying. I'm not entirely sure how he found out about them. Something was off about him though. He cut off all of his hair and got a tattoo. Also, the last time I seen him he was radiating heat. The rain that touched his skin practically sizzled off into steam. I didn't ask any questions though. It wasn't my business. I don't need Jake. I knew he was into me, and I didn't want to lead him on. I can never be with anyone the way I was with Edward.  

After returning home the day flew by. Time always flies when you're dreading something. Even with the company of Angela I was sure to feel as if the Cullens never existed again. I'd be counting the seconds until Alice came back. She told Charlie that she was going to spend the night with an old friend from school. It actually makes me feel bad that it's so easy for everyone to lie to Charlie, myself included. He was concerned about me spending the night alone until I told him Angela was going to come over for a bit. That seemed to thrill him. As Alice walked out the door, I heard Charlie say "I knew her spending some time with you would get her back into her old groove. She seems happier these days, socializing with her friends again." Alice chuckled in response and then was gone as fast as she had appeared here a week ago.

I made Charlie and I some dinner and then went upstairs to read while I waited for Angela to come over. I had to do something to keep my mind distracted while Alice was away. Time was going to drag. I haven't read in a while so I grabbed the first thing I could find and rested in bed. The book I grabbed is called "Persuasion" by Jane Austen. It's about a young woman who was persuaded by her family to break off her engagement with a man that was deemed lower class. Years later they find their way back to each other. This may not have been the best book for me to choose. Although I do hope someday Edward and I can find our way back to each other. I flip open the book to where I had previously placed a bookmark and started my read. 

I was well into book, it capturing every bit of my attention when I heard a noise. Before having the chance to look up, I hear a woman's high-pitched voice speaking to me. The voice was familiar as I had heard it once before. My blood ran cold. My heart started racing and fear coursed through my veins. Victoria.

"Hah! Imagine my surprise at finding you here all alone, unprotected. Where's your boyfriend? I think you know why I'm here." Victoria's soprano voice rung out into the quiet, piercing my ears. She stood at the foot of my bed, I assume she came in through the window, like Edward used to. Her long orange curly hair framing her face. She looked stunning, as all vampires do. She isn't much taller than me. Her porcelain pail skin glowing from the window light. Victoria looked like an angry angel. She looked exactly how I seen her in my nightmare.

Alice's vision was wrong. Victoria was going to kill me, and possibly Charlie as well. She must've made a last second decision after Alice left. Which means she's been around, watching me. I came to the realistic conclusion that I would likely never be with Edward again. With that thought I put my book down and accepted my fate. 

"It doesn't matter, Edward left me. I'm nothing without him so you might as well just kill me, at least the pain will end." It almost sounds as if I'm pleading with her to take my life. 

For a split second it looks as if Victoria is perplexed. 

"I'd say you're lying, but I don't really care. James died because of you and the mind reader. Someone is going to pay for that." Victoria responded sharply, her threatening tone making me realize that maybe I don't want to die just yet.

"I never wanted any of this. James attacked us! and for what? He knew that going after a coven could be dangerous for him. He knew that he could possibly lose you forever, and he didn't care. So what does my death really accomplish? You'd be punishing me for his arrogance. It doesn't even matter, the Cullens are gone. They would never even know it was you who did it." I'm almost yelling at this point. While I am terrified of her, she needed to hear the truth. 

"Oh, they would know. I'd make sure of it!" Victoria spat angrily, her lips curled over her teeth and her body visibly shaking.

I start breathing fast, hyperventilating at the thought that I will die here, and Charlie or Alice will find my body. That's how they will know. She is going to make sure Alice finds my body. I feel helpless, there is nothing that I can do in this situation. I stare at my bed, waiting for what's to come. 

Victoria sighs. "Perhaps you're right. If Edward doesn't really care about you then your death would be pointless. I want him to suffer as I do but he left you here unprotected. He had to know I'd come looking for you, he won't care about your death." Her words stung. She was right, he had to know that I could still be in danger. I look up to see her more relaxed now, she kind of looks defeated. I was not expecting that.

"So.... You're not going to hurt me?" I asked with a bit of hope in my voice.

"I haven't decided yet... Why did Edward leave you?" Victoria's expression seemed genuinely interested in knowing how I would respond.

"I... wasn't good enough for him. There was an accident at his place, I got hurt. He realized I'm fragile and that I would die in some freak accident..." I responded, trailing off.

"I don't understand, why wouldn't he just change you to avoid that?" Victoria asks, once again looking perplexed. 

"He thought he'd be damning my soul to hell. I guess he didn't want to live with that guilt." I respond, finding it easier and easier to talk to her. I don't have to hide anything from her.

"You must be something special for him to get so worked over a human!" Victoria says. Taking a step toward me and inhaling deeply she says, "You do smell pretty damn good though." 

I lean away, gasping. Fear yet again coursing through my veins. If she really hasn't decided if she is going to hurt me, then I could still be in danger. Nothing is stopping her from ending my life right now.

"Ugh, relax. I'm not going to hurt you. Edward already kind of did that for me." Victoria says, her words stabbing me like a blade through the heart.

"That kind of sucks... and I don't think he's coming back. I know the feeling; I'll never see my James again." Victoria continues, looking remorseful. 

"Everyone keeps saying that. I'm starting to believe them." I pick at my fingernails, staring at my bed in thought.

"Bella... Edward is not worth getting worked up over." Victoria says soothingly. The way she said my name was, calming. I look up to see her rigid again, staring at the door.

"Someone is coming. I should probably go." Victoria says quickly. 

I look to the door knowing Charlie will be knocking any second. I actually find myself sad that Victoria has to leave. I should be terrified of her but something about her seems less dangerous now. She must've caught on to my expression because what she says next shocks me to my core.  

"I could come back, if you like. I'd like to get to know you a little more, you intrigue me." 

I sit there quietly stunned for a moment thinking it over. She could be capable of change. It wasn't fair me to think that she couldn't... adapt. 

"Okay... Just come by after dark tonight so nobody sees you. I'd like to get to know you a little more too I guess." I say, giving in.

"Oh, embarrassed to be seen with me? Fine." Victoria says playfully, a smirk playing at her lips.  

With that, a knock is heard at my door.

"Bella, are you talking to someone in there?" Charlie asks through the door. I look up to see Victoria had left without a sound.

"It was just Angela. I was on the phone with Angela." I say.

"Oh, alright. I'll leave you to it!" He says with a smile in voice.

Oh shoot, Angela! She's supposed to be here anytime now. It was too late for me to call and tell her not to come. I jumped out of bed, tidying up my already tidy room. Then I went outside to wait for her. The rain from this morning has let up. I scanned the trees and the neighborhood to see if I could spot any orange, watching me from the shadows. To my disappointment, I didn't see any.

Angela pulled up after a couple of minutes and I invited her in. We spent the evening watching a random movie on tv and catching up. She talked about how happy eric and her were. She also made a comment about how I looked, saying I looked less depressed and a bit happier. Just like Charlie said to Alice. Was I happier though? I mean, I might not have Edward but maybe I have a new friend in Victoria. 

After the movie ended Angela left and I went back up to my room. Charlie had already fallen asleep. I gently closed his door so that he wouldn't hear Victoria and I talking if she did decide to come back. I found myself hoping that she would. I sat back down on my bed in deep thought. What if she came back and decided that she does still want to hurt me? What if she can't get over James and that eats away at her? 

I'll never know if I can actually trust her. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

657 20 12
Bella Swan has finally gotten what she wanted from her vampire lover, but is severely traumatized in the process. She runs to Jacob for comfort and s...
1.5M 30.8K 24
Bella has an older sister and younger brother, she hasn't seen her sister in nearly 3 years and only seen her brother a couple of times. It's her wed...
33.1K 1.7K 37
Bella and Edward are back. It the school year. Jacob there, so is Tanya. Also Rosalie, Alice,Jasper, and Emmett. Mike shows his face and tries to di...
34.6K 1.1K 39
Bella has suffered ever since Edward walked out of her life. Jasper suffered heartbreak at the betrayal of the one he had loved for over sixty years...