First Capo: Athelo Brown

By Mend_Han

"When desire destroys the family" ───────────────────── Athelo's father came home with the woman he's been lu... More

Step Ahead
Prologue
Characters
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fourteen

9 1 0
By Mend_Han

─────────────────────

ATHELO

─────────────────────

I've learned about the things I should know from Thomas Evans, the man who introduced himself as Tom earlier. I made Romano search up every individual inside the vicinity, he didn't gather much considering that I told him just a while to do so, but he gathered enough, at least for me to know who they are and what they do outside of the dark world. It's better to take precautions as to who I'm dealing with rather than being ignorant and doing things recklessly. I'm sure most of them are doing what I'm also doing.

After the amusement from Maximus earlier, Thomas made us introduce one another, to get acquainted with who's who and who's sons are whom. I don't even need to know which sons are which, they all perfectly symbolize their fathers. Especially Thomas and his son, Gabriel. The pair look the same despite Gabriel's skin being more melanin and his eyes weren't as blue as his father's. Despite their resemblance, that fact could not help their rocky relationship. It's too early for me to judge them as I've got a somewhat similar issue with mine.

When everyone departed and went to their respective rooms, Thomas invited me for a stroll around the building. That's where he told me the things he knew about the matter.

My father, Aubreon himself, is one of the bosses of this organization. Never in my life did I expect him to meddle in this dirt and have a part of the underworld. Well, I did think that his money came from the dirt but not the type of dirt where he's one of the most unknown and feared individuals. Per say money loaning or supporting corrupt politicians, but this? this is beyond my imagination. To think I or he did not know about our involvement in this is something even Thomas ponders. He also pointed out that their security slacked since none of the members knew about this. They could have discovered my interference and reported it to my father whereas he'll terminate every connection I have in this organization.

He's against of me joining this group thus he declined to pass his position to me and ordered someone to find one to replace him. Unlucky for him, the someone he ordered also ordered someone and that's Leo, who chose me to take the position, the very person Aubreon does not want to give his position to.

A funny coincidence indeed.

Even I, could not help but laugh over it together with Fin and Romano.

Was I angry?

Of course not.

I couldn't care less what sh*t he does. For all I care, he could be the secret president of the States and still, I wouldn't bother about it. He has his own life and I have mine, it's better to not meddle over his decisions as I could quite tell he's doing the same.

I'm just wondering if my mother have known this. I have a gut feeling that she does know. She's much of a meddler when it comes to father's life.

If I have a reason to be angry over him, then it's the fact that he planned to kill Leo. I swore to myself the minute that explosion happened, I would avenge Leo's death no matter what happened. I'll never forget the sh*t they did to him.

The room they prepared was decent. Fin and Romano shared a room while I had my own room across from Louis's room. It got a room for a bed, bathroom and a spacious resting room for when you've got visitors. Across the coach was the sliding glass door of the balcony. It showed the endless orangey skies with buildings beginning to light up in preparation for the night to come.

"He's the only child of Henry Jones Garcia, the sole heir of the Garcia shipping company" Ramos informed, skipping through his phone for the information.

As of the moment I'm in my room, together with Romano who's still in the process of informing me about the others as Fin is on a call with Ferdinand to announce Leo's death and to ask how the transaction with the group C went.

"No wonder we ship most of our goods with the Garcia shipping company...the owner's one of the bosses" I mumbled. When we use the Garcia company, our transactions are always a success and we have no threat of getting discovered by the government. We used to ship in that brand when we deal with big loads.

"It's a great asset" Romano commented.

"Undeniable"

This Henry Garcia isn't the only individual who plays a big role in the success of this organization. Thomas Evans owns the T.E surveillance and security company thus he has access to every surveillances and cctvs around the country apart from a few countries in Asia. Maximus Darwish owned an oil company under his family's lifetime work and Darwish Airlines through his own hard work. They've contributed a part to the success of this Mafia organization. What amazed me the most is that their number one investor is none other than my father. Without Aubreon, their business won't be up and running.

"It's amazing how they planned things thoroughly. I bet they knew what was about to happen when they started this organization" I mindlessly commented, sipping a bottle of whiskey that came inside the mini refrigerator in the bedroom.

"Well, they are the bosses for a reason"

"You got any from the Asian guy? Jay was it?"

"His real name is Jayu Kim but his English name is Park, which he mostly uses. His background is quite interesting, one that you think only exists in novels"

"Do tell" I've heard many unrealistic backgrounds, but nothing can faze me.

"He's the son of a man named Mijin Park, one of the bosses who handled Asia's territory. There are three of them actually, Mijin Park, Taeu Kim, and Jung Jeon, all are half brothers who come from the same mother, and three of them died on the same day. Jay has three other brothers and a sister, all of them also came from the same mother and no, his mother isn't a prostitute or anything, it's unclear but based on rumors, his family followed a certain myth or tradition that includes sacrifices. It's just rumors so it isn't certain. He already has his father's Medical institution and medical machine company. Jay is the very person who evokes the bosses with his proposal"

"Wow"

"There's a lot to discuss if we based things on rumors. But so far that's the most known info about him"

"So he's the cause of all of these..." If it weren't for him, Leo would have been alive.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

─────────────────────
CASPAIN
─────────────────────

"I need another job" Sage complained when I entered the staff's locker room. She was lying down on the modern couch beside the lockers, head resting on the backrest as most of her body slumped tiredly in the leather seat. Both of her arms were crossed, hugging her figure for comfort in her sorrows.

It's closing time and most of the staff went home. We usually close at two-thirty on Wednesdays and Thursdays, the rest of the weekdays we close at four am. The people currently in the bar are Boss May, the night guard, Bruce, and the clean-up crew.

"I thought your salary was enough for your living expenses"

"That's not the reason why I want one..." She turned her body forcefully to face me.

"Oh...is it because of your missing cat" She told me about her missing cat yesterday.

From the way she shared most of it with me, I can tell she cares for the cat dearly. She even prepared flyers that had a photo of her cat name Night, her number, and a five hundred thousand compensation for those who found the cat. Sage couldn't pay such an amount so her lover took the role as a way for him to say sorry for loosing the cat, though she didn't blame him for it.

I helped her stick some flyers in a few areas where it's legal and boss May offered to hang a flyer outside of the bar and on the bulletin board, just in case some customers manage to see the cat.

We haven't heard of any news yet, but we're waiting.

"Yes...I'm thinking of a delivery job so that I can cover more grounds in search of my baby"

"Do you know how to drive?"

"No, but I can learn how to" She's persistent I could tell. From the days I spent with her, I've come to learn that if Sage has set her mind, she won't listen to others opposing to it.

"It'll take a month or two for a driving class and a week for your driver's license to process, you know that they wouldn't hire people who don't have a driver's license" I still need to knock some sense out of her. She needs reason and logical thinking right now.

"You can hook me up with someone"

I've got plenty of dudes on the sides who can hook me up with anything legal as long as it isn't drug dealing or armory. "But I can't bear the thought of you risking your life"

"I'm desperate" She let out a groan and pulled herself upward to run her fingers on the roots of her hair and pulled it relentlessly. "I'll be careful"

"I know you are. But let sit this one out and wait okay? Someone's bound to call sooner or later"

"That cat is important to me" she sobbed out, hiding her face in her palms letting all of her frustrations out by crying. I sat beside her and engulfed her in a tight and reassuring hug which she gladly reciprocated. Now she's crying on my shoulders.

It pains me to see her in such a state, if I could have the power to change her fate I would do so. She's too kind for this fucked up world, she doesn't deserve her job, her environment, her boyfriend, and Athelo. But I'm just a simple man, struggling to make ends meet also like her, though we enjoy it.

Aside from all of that, I'm well aware that something had happened between the two. I'm talking about Sage and Athelo a few days ago when we drank our souls out. And no they didn't tell it to my face but as the owner of the house, I would immediately notice the new bedsheets, pillow case, and blanket set in the guest room's bed. Aside from that, the old and rusty clock from that room broke. If that didn't mean something then I do not want to know what had happened between the two.

As a great friend, I shut my mouth and never brought it to any of our conversations. She'll get embarrassed about at and would fill guilty. Knowing how she works, I do not want that. I'll say this again, she's much of a softy.

"We'll find him sooner or later...we should just wait" My love for Sage overlaps with the need to help her out. Motorcycle riding isn't safe for someone who doesn't have a driver's license.

She stares towards me with her teary puppy eyes, begging for me to help her. I can't resist such a thing and she knows it.

"I'll teach you, but promise me you'll have to be patient when I teach you"

"Thank you so much Cas" she hugged me tightly. I could feel the gratitude together with her muscles relaxing.

"But if I see that you're not ready, there will be no delivering job for you"

"You're a lifesaver"

Now I have to borrow a bike somewhere.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

─────────────────────

AUBREON

─────────────────────

"Why are you coming again?" I asked three times during the drive. The annoyance lingers in my voice and remains unnoticed by the woman beside me who is busy scrolling through her laptop. I know she heard me. 

"You have to bring a plus one to the party and besides that, we need to be seen in public more often. Ever since you met that girl we hadn't got out together"  Is her reply, every question has a different reply. Earlier when were about to board the car I asked her the same thing and she answered that she wanted to check how the organization was doing. "I know you wanted to bring that girl to the party but you can always bring her to whenever parties you want, just give me this occasion"

She doesn't have to tell me what real reason she has to have stolen this opportunity for me to introduce Sage to my friends. I was supposed to bring her with me despite Sage's refusal to go. I had a perfect plan of how I could bring her with me to Chicago but Angelica was interested in the invite. Her sole reason for coming here is to obviously flaunt her profile to the media. All of my friend's wives apart from Henry are coming and they're also known when it comes to high society. She's only going to use this opportunity to start stories about them being together. 

Angelica does have a relationship with them. They're bound to have since they're our wives. We usually host parties that consist of only close relations and the wives have to stick together because most of our close relations are businessmen. Their friendship was formed by having no choice. I just appreciate that all of the wives are honest and sincere with the relationship they formed.

We didn't exchange any words during the rest of the traveling. 

We arrived at our destination. The skies were dark and the buildings lights lit up the cold night. I had my personal assistant drive us to the location that Thomas sent me. I have no idea who planned this meeting up and I also have no idea what would happen during the trip. Those *ssholes planned an entire retreat without me knowing and I have to talk about it to them when I arrive.

"I heard Georgia is carrying for two" Angelica broke the silence to kill time while the traffic jam prolonged our traveling. It was a busy night with people going off and on to work. I was in the back seat with Angelica beside me, we had a perfectly comfortable distance between us. She was gazing into the skies while I reviewed some papers from work.

"Where did you hear that?" I'm pretty sure Thomas is private about this matter. 

"From the ladies...they claimed they saw Thomas and Georgia come out from a maternity hospital. There are some articles too that speculates that information" Angelica does have a group of gossipers. It would sometimes come in handy.

"It's true..." That is what I can only say. 

"Well, she's only forty-six so no surprise about that"

"What's surprising is how Thomas is being fine with it" I unintentionally said out loud.

"You have a point...I pray that this one survives"

It took almost half an hour for us to arrive at the hotel. The place was decent and the attendees were quick to assist us in our rooms. I requested another room since they only gave us one room. Angelica complied, wanting to show that we were on good terms and laugh my request off together with the woman at the front desk. I wanted to decline but I was distracted by Henry who just arrived. I walked towards him to distance myself from Angelica who could only annoy me.

"Glad you can make it Ramos" We shook our hands. He looks depressed as usual. Tired droopy eyes and dry lips, even his once pinkish skin was pale.

"I should be the one who has to say that, I think it's safe to assume that you have no idea about this plan too" Henry was always an early bird when it comes to these things, seeing that he only arrived with his luggage and an assistant.

"Was only informed yesterday by Maximus" He grabbed his keys and glanced at the number before telling his assistant to check the place.

"Guess that those two are the masterminds of this. Thomas informed me three days ago" Angelica was still talking with the lady, giggling as they talked about small little things.

"Should I be thankful that they gave me time to mope around a little longer?" He laughed it off. Despite his positive demeanor, everyone knows that his wife's death brought a huge impact on him.

"What can I say, they know us too well" I laughed.

"Yeah and it's dangerous" 

"Oh my, long time no see Henry" Angelica joined in, engulfing him in a warm hug.

"Glad to see you too Angelica" He smiled at her and complied.

"You look like you lost a pound"

"Yeah, getting back with my workout. It's for the best-"

"Of course it should be. We're aging and we need to have that healthy lifestyle to slow down growth. If you know what I mean" Angelica interrupted not wanting to spoil the mood. "Our room is in room 104, and yours is I think in room 106?"

"Yeah.." Henry glances towards Aubreon who shrug now wanting to help the fella. 

"We should go since jet lag can be very disturbing, why don't we catch up along the way" Angelica smiled, pulling Henry from his spot. She didn't mean any harm, just wanted to catch up with a friend.

Augbreon is just glad that Angelica is out of his hair, it's great for Henry too. He can socialize with people other than his close friends. Everyone knows he sheltered himself from everything after the death of his wife. I was heartbroken considering that she didn't die from sickness that Henry told everybody they knew. They hid the fact that she died due to an assassination that was meant for Louis, their son. It just so happened that she was with him during the assassination. Being a good father and a husband he didn't blame Louis. I can't say the same thing to Louis though. The boy pretty much blames himself for not protecting his mother.

But it cannot be avoided. He was there and wasn't capable of saving her. If I was in his shoes, I would also blame myself.

Time can heal a person and Louis Peter surely will heal from the trauma and guilt.

I trailed behind the two as they began to talk about the things they missed from the months they hadn't seen one another.

This is the part of Angelica that I like. She may always fake things to perfection but she's capable of building sincere relationships with people she likes. Sure she's painstakingly truthful but at least she doesn't disregard a proper relationship.

Whatever she's doing, it's to comfort and distract Henry from his depressive thoughts.

I'm glad me and Angelica were able to form a professional and honest relationship despite all of the things we've been through.

I won't deny that I used to love her during her prime, but as I uncover her truth. What I felt about her vanished, in a way that wasn't painful. More of a realization that we're not capable of being together. We have our downs most of the time, but still at the end of the day we have no one whom we could trust the most other than ourselves.

I know how broken she is and she knows how twisted I am.

In Sage's case...all I want is for her to see me in the bright light. It's what she deserves and I'll do anything to give her that.

I've never loved a woman like Sage in my entire life. If the circumstances were a bit different I would have asked for her hand in marriage a long time ago.

When things settle down and I can hand all of my responsibility to my son and the person who's going to take my place in the organization, I'll settle with Sage far away from Monaco.

Maybe somewhere urban. Far from city noises, just a peaceful atmosphere where I could spend my time with Sage every day. 

She's probably sleeping now... I'll call her tomorrow.

For now, I'll take a short nap and clean myself before the meet-up.

_____________________________________________________________________________

I'm Back! And I hope I stay this time!

Hope you enjoy this chapter! Stay healthy and gorgeous people!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 270 45
Five years ago, Tristian's wife left him, leaving behind their barely three-month-old twins. Taking care of the children fell on his parents' hands...
9.5M 309K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...
254K 5.5K 31
•Harley, C.E.O of a big company in his college days fell head over heels in love with Ailsa . He gave her marriage proposal to which her parent agree...
85.9K 1.9K 58
He craves emotions, feelings, but he doesn't show it. She used to crave emotions, feelings, but now she doesn't. If it means to love him and get the...