How to Stay Afloat

Reeyu97 tarafından

Fallon's sole ambition in life is to escape her miserable hometown once and for all. She dreams of driving aw... Daha Fazla

~D E S C R I P T I O N~
~P r o l o g u e~
~1: Where She Tries to Bribe a Man with a Cupcake~
~2: Where She's Definitely NOT Being a Stalker~
~3: Where He is Definitely Being Stalked~
~4: Where She Lets Him in on a Secret~
~5: Where He Decides to Fix Her Car~
~6: Where She Sees His Abs~
~7: Where She Introduces Him to Spartacus~
~8: Where He has Company for Lunch~
~9: Where She's Invited to a Party~
~10: Where She Tries to Hide in the Bathroom~
~11: Where She Tells Him About Her Past~
~12: Where She Tells Everyone Her Brilliant Idea~
~13: Where She Takes Part in an Auction~
~14: Where She Lives a Little With Him~
~15: Where She Ends Up on the Beach~
~16: Where He Asks a 'Friend' For a Favor~
~17: Where She Gets a Reality Check~
~18: Where He Goes on a Date~
~19: Where She Goes for a Drive~
~20: Where She's Not His 'Friend'~
~21: Where She Defends Him~
~22: Archer's Story~
~23: Where She Learns About His Past~
~24: Where She Gets Him a Little Wet~
~25: Where He Finds a Place to Stay~
~26: Where She Gets a Roommate~
~27: Where He's Jealous~
~29: Where She Cheers for Him~
~30: Where She Confesses~
~31: Where She Asks Him About the Future~
~32: Where She Has Her First Fight With Him~
~33: Where She Has an Unexpected Visitor~
~34: Where He Decides to Ask Her to Prom~
~35: Where She Decides to Ask Him to Prom~
~36: Where She Gets Him a Cookie~
~37: Where She Visits the Place She Came From~
~38: Where She Goes to Prom~
~39: Where She Confronts Her Past~
~40: Where She Gets an Offer~
~41: Where She Realizes That Some People Never Change~
~42: Where She Gets Caught in the Middle~
~43: Where He Can't Find Her~
~44: Where all He Feels is Hollowness~
~45: Where He Meets Her Brother~
~46: Where He Goes to See His Father~
~47: Where He Finally Accepts~
~48: Bittersweet Endings and Hopeful Beginnings~

~28: Where She Finally Gets Closure~

974 50 2
Reeyu97 tarafından

CHAPTER 28:

Where She Finally Gets Closure

~~**~~

|Fallon|

"How's the speech coming along?" I asked Peyton as I placed an Ice Latte in front of her and slid into the seat across from her.

She'd been seated at the corner table at the coffee shop for the past hour working on her graduation speech. I had just gotten my break so I joined her.

"It's coming along horribly but thanks for asking." She said dramatically and I rolled my eyes good-naturedly.

Peyton was this year's valedictorian so, much to her dismay, she was responsible for delivering the final speech at our graduation ceremony which was only three months away.

She took a huge gulp of her Latte and moaned in bliss. "Have I ever told you how much I love you?"

I laughed. "You do but it's nearly not enough." I teased.

She sighed. "I can't believe I'm going to college next year and you're not going to be there with me." Her eyes suddenly shone with unshed tears.

I could feel a lump start growing in my throat.

Peyton had gotten a fully funded scholarship to California State University's Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Program. It was everything she'd ever dreamed of and I was absolutely thrilled for her. There wasn't a single soul on this planet who I thought deserved the Scholarship more than Peyton. I remembered the days when she'd stay up entire nights to study because she'd been working double shifts at her job.

For a moment I felt a pang of sadness. Everyone around me seemed to be heading somewhere, doing something. There was no way I could ever afford college and unlike Payton, my grades weren't good enough to get me a Scholarship. I just felt stuck.

"You know I'm going to call you all the time, right?" She sniffed.

"I know," I told her, my eyes were starting to get damp.

Even though there was no mistaking the happiness I felt for her finally achieving her dreams, there was also sadness because I knew it meant that she wouldn't be around all the time anymore.

The two of us had been inseparable pretty much since the first day of high school. I'd been sitting alone in the Cafeteria and all around me, people had been whispering about me, either talking about the plane crash that took my parents or snickering about my clothes. 

Peyton had walked straight up to me and asked to sit with me. She'd given me the prettiest smile and told me that she loved my pink sequence pants. And when I told her that they'd actually been curtains someone had thrown away and I'd salvaged them and sewn them into pants myself, she'd looked at me in awe instead of disgust. I'd known then and there that I'd love this girl.

"You better come visit me every weekend," I told her seriously.

Peyton laughed and her expression suddenly became mischievous. "And now that Archer might be going here as well you might just come on campus to see me every other day." She teased.

I could feel my heartbeat stutter at her words.

"What?" I asked breathlessly.

Peyton gave me a confused look, "Archer got accepted on scholarship to the same program I did." Her eyebrows drew together, "I got to know when I went to the career counselor a couple of days ago, she asked me if I knew whether he'd accepted the offer or not." She paused. "Didn't he tell you?"

"No," I whispered. "No, he didn't."

~~**~~

It was after ten, I had just finished closing the café when a hand closed around my elbow. I jerked back in surprise, my body automatically taking up a fighting stance.

A man stepped out from the shadows and I inhaled sharply when I saw his face.

Chase.

"What do you want?" The words were sharp when they left my mouth.

For a moment he didn't say anything, he just stood there looking at me his hands shoved deep into the pockets of his sweatpants. The first thing I noticed was how different he looked from his usual self. For one, he was wearing grey sweats instead of his usual black attire and signature leather jacket. His usually perfect hair was disheveled and there were bags under his eyes.

I felt a pang of concern but pushed it down.

I didn't owe him anything. Not after what he'd done. Not after how he'd treated me.

"What do you want Chase?" I asked again in a slightly calmer voice.

He flinched when I said his name and I saw his throat work nervously as he swallowed. Again, I was struck by how unlike him this was.

I'd dated him for two years and the Chase Michelson I knew didn't wear sweats. He was always sure of himself, and he was never nervous.

"I've been trying to muster up the courage to face you for a week now." His voice was hoarse. His hands flexed at his sides.

He grimaced and finally met my eyes. "I wanted to apologize." He took a shuddering breath. "I'm so sorry Fallon. For everything."

Something inside my chest cracked. All the hurt, the anger, all the shame he had made me feel during our time together started bleeding out.

"You had no right to make me feel that way," I said quietly.

His gaze became anguished. "I didn't. And I know a lousy apology doesn't make up for how I treated you. . ." He paused. "I don't know if this makes any difference, but I've been seeing a therapist and I've realized that my parent's divorce fucked me up. I took a lot of my anger and insecurities out on you. You didn't deserve that. And I am so so sorry Fallon. You have every reason to hate me."

I was about to respond when the sound of screeching tires and a car door slamming caught my attention. The next thing I knew Archer's tall frame was in front of me and he was shoving Chase back.

"Get the fuck away from her Michelson," Archer growled, his tone lethal.

Chase just raised his hands in a placating manner. "Look man, I just want to talk to her. I don't want to start anything."

"You started something the moment you approached her." Archer's entire body was practically trembling with fury. His hands were balled so tightly that his knuckles turned white.

I gently laid a hand on his back. "Archer it's okay," I said softly.

Archer's head twisted back to look at me, his stern gaze immediately softened as he took me in. His eyes searched my face for any signs of distress.

"He's telling the truth. He just wants to talk." I assured him.

He gave me a look as if to say. "Are you sure?"

And I gave him a slight nod.

With one more begrudging look in Chase's direction. He turned to me. "I'll be waiting in the car. He moves a single hair the wrong way I'll fucking make him regret it." He whispered in my ear, he brushed his lips against my jaw affectionately before leaving.

I turned to Chase again.

"I'm glad you're seeking help. It's a step in the right direction." I finally spoke up.

He started to speak but I held a hand up to silence him. "And as for what you said earlier, I don't hate you, Chase. I don't think I ever hated you. I just hated how I felt when I was with you."

He sighed softly. "You're a bigger person than me because if someone had treated me how I treated you I would have hated them with everything I had."

I looked at him, "Hate is too exhausting, what I feel for you is more like indifference." I almost winced at how harsh my words had sounded but it was the truth.

I hadn't forgiven him. Not yet.

The wounds he had caused still stung.

But I knew, in my heart, that one day when I had healed completely, forgiveness would come.

A look of understanding passed between us.

He smiled at me, his eyes lighting up a little and for a moment I was reminded of the boy I'd fallen in love with three years ago.

The boy who had hurt me,

Bullied me for being myself.

Made me feel like I wasn't good enough.

But he was also the boy whose shoulder I had cried on so many times.

Who'd let me stay with him when I had no place to go,

Who'd stayed at the hospital with me when I was sick.

I could feel tears start to well up in my eyes.

I was surprised to find that his eyes were shining too.

"It wasn't all bad, was it?" His voice was raw.

"No, it wasn't," I told him honestly.

It's the good moments in the end that make it so hard to leave people who you know aren't good for you.

His gaze flickered behind me to where Archer was.

Chase swallowed thickly. "For what little my opinion is worth, I'm glad you have someone who protects you as fiercely as Archer." He looked at me, his eyes sincere. "If anyone deserves that kind of love, it's you, Fallon." He murmured.

I bit the inside of my cheek. There was a dull ache in my chest.

"I want you to be happy Chase," I told him truthfully. "I hope you heal enough to experience that kind of happiness."

I gave him one last smile before turning away from him and walking towards Archer.

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

1.5K 220 14
They say opposites attract. But that wasn't the case for Layla and Jaxon. BEFORE Both bear the deep scars of despair, and for that, they were unknow...
280 11 9
Evie was a wild child. She was at (almost) every party, did every dare, and lived the way she wanted to. All so she could pour it into writing. She w...
6.8K 132 26
Kendall has always lived a quiet life in a small town in Illinois with her family, friends, and boyfriend Jordan. Her life had been mostly happy othe...
57.1K 2.7K 84
***Currently being edited, also adding alot of juicy stuff*** When 18 year old Ashton, moves schools her senior year after her mother and fathers div...