𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒, Daryl D...

By nicbelles

❝ You're caught in my crosshairs again. ❞ In which a Navy SEAL, a doomsday prepp... More

𝑪𝑹𝑶𝑺𝑺𝑯𝑨𝑰𝑹𝑺.
𝑨𝑪𝑻 𝑶𝑵𝑬.
⁰¹, A LIFE LIKE MINE
⁰², CRISIS CALL
⁰³, THE SEARCH BEGINS
⁰⁴, RESCUE MISSION
⁰⁵, A NEW INTRODUCTION
⁰⁶, HOPE FOR CHOCOLATE CAKE
⁰⁷, SNIPER SHOOTING
⁰⁹, ROMANCE READERS
¹⁰, FLY ME TO THE MOON
¹¹, HERE TO STAY
¹², HUNGOVER INTERROGATION
¹³, A BASIC UNDERSTANDING
¹⁴, ONE MAN LOST, ONE MAN SAVED
¹⁵, A FAMILY AFFAIR
¹⁶, ALL OUT MANHUNT
¹⁷, A BARN IN FLAMES
𝑨𝑪𝑻 𝑻𝑾𝑶.
¹⁸, A NEW HOME
¹⁹, TWO DOORS OPEN
²⁰, SOLITARY CONFINEMENT
²¹, BACK FROM THE DEAD
²², LEFT BEHIND
²³, FROM THE WATCHTOWER
²⁴, PAST LIVES
²⁵, TARGET PRACTICE
²⁶, THE START OF WAR
²⁷, THE PRICE OF SAFETY
²⁸, SCARE TACTIC
²⁹, FAMILY LINE
𝑨𝑪𝑻 𝑻𝑯𝑹𝑬𝑬
³⁰, BIG SPOT PLANE
³¹, SHAKEN SODA CAN
³², BEHIND GLASS WALLS
³³, SCARED TO DIE
³⁴, LEAVING HOME
³⁵, BIG WHITE HOUSE
³⁶, BULLET WOUND
³⁷, HURT
³⁸, TO LIVE AND LOVE AND CARE
³⁹, NEW DOCTOR
⁴⁰, US AGAINST THE WORLD
⁴¹, CALL FOR MOM
⁴², TRAIN CAR REUNION
⁴³, JAILBREAK
𝑨𝑪𝑻 𝑭𝑶𝑼𝑹.
⁴⁴, PICKIN' VIOLETS
⁴⁵, LIGHT THE PAGE
⁴⁶, FAITH AND CHANGE
⁴⁷, TOGETHER
⁴⁸, BLOOD-STAINED LEADER
⁴⁹, PARENTAL AUTHORITY
⁵⁰, GRADY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
⁵¹, UNDER A WILLOW
⁵², OUR SHERIFF HAT
⁵³, STILL WITH HER
⁵⁴, THE WALKING DEAD
⁵⁵, DANCE TROUPE
⁵⁶, WANT
⁵⁷, CANNED ORANGES
⁵⁸, RV RUMMY
⁵⁹, UNCLE JACK
⁶⁰, COLD SHOWER
⁶¹, CHIPPING PAINT
⁶², PHOTO PROOF
⁶³, KITCHEN LIGHT
⁶⁴, HAIRCUT

⁰⁸, BEHIND BARN DOORS

3.7K 156 2
By nicbelles

𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐒𝐇𝐀𝐈𝐑𝐒.
chapter eight; Behind Barn Doors
I can't stay with people who keep me at arm's length. "

  VEX WANTED TO go home. Having her brother ask to stay was one thing. She knew him, knew why he wanted to, even if she disagreed, and knew Dean would never force her to stay.

  But having strangers urging her to join their group made her uneasy.

  So she wanted to leave.

  But the only thing keeping her was the mission to find Sophia.

  So that was what she decided she'd do.

  "You found the doll here; where do you think she goes from there?"

  Daryl looked up as Vex Williams dropped a map onto his lap. He squinted his eyes in the sun, scoffing at the woman.

  "Listen, I can follow the river, that's what I'd assume," Vex sighed, crossing her arms, "But you've met the girl. Just askin' your opinion."

  Daryl stood from his seat, pressing the map to the woman's chest.

  She scoffed, turning on her heel before she said something she'd inevitably regret.

  "Did you know?"

  "Know what?" Vex asked, never stopping her stride.

  "That there's a barn full o' walkers feet away from where your kid sleeps."

  Vex halted at that, turning to face Daryl Dixon. He stared at her, his expression more argumentative than sincere, as she approached him quickly.

  "Knew you were a dick, didn't take you as a liar."

  "I ain't no damn liar," He argued, "Why don't you go see for yourself?"

  "You think I'd take your word for somethin' like that?" She laughed humorlessly, "I've known Hershel for a decade-- he wouldn't keep that from me."

  "Yeah, well, maybe you don't know 'im as well as you thought."

  Vex narrowed her eyes, taking off without another word.

  And as much as she wanted to ignore Daryl Dixon's words, they sunk right beneath her skin and stayed there like a stubborn splinter.

  She hadn't been to the barn. Vex didn't ask questions about things that remained unspoken; she minded her business, did as she was asked, and left the rest of it alone.

  But the idea gnawed at her until her path changed from the stables to the barn.

  And sure enough, Daryl Dixon had let it slip to Dean Williams that he'd told Vex.

  Which was why Dean was running.

  "Vex!"

  The woman didn't falter, approaching the barn quickly as her brother sprinted toward her.

  "V, just hold on--"

  Vex approached the doors, banging loudly on them after noting the chains and locks.

  She stepped back, her blood running cold at the sound of groans-- the doors pushing out against the weight of them all, held closed only by heavy chains.

  "Vex, hold on a second," Dean tried, out of breath, as he finally reached her, "Listen to me--"

  "You knew."

  Dean attempted to catch his breath as Vex whispered the statement. He hadn't seen that expression in a long time; the one of anger, disgust-- betrayal.

  "Vex, he thinks they're sick-- that he can save them, or God will--"

  Vex shoved her brother back, the man catching himself as he stumbled back. 

  "You knew and you let me bring my daughter here--" She spat, hitting the man's chest again, "You put her at risk-- you put me at risk--!"

  "Vex, I made sure it's secure," He said calmly, attempting to capture his sister's hands, "That's-- that's their family in their. Neighbors, friends--"

  "They're corpses, Dean."

  "You and I know that-- they don't. They can't."

  Vex ripped her hands out of her brother's, taking a step back.

  "But you know," She pointed, "You know they're dangerous. You knew they were in there. And you didn't tell me."

  "Hershel didn't want me to," Dean tried, "He-- he knew you wouldn't agree, that it would cause tension-- he didn't want to lose you, Vex."

  "So you kept it hidden?!" She rivaled, "You thought I'd never find out? Or you thought that you'd somehow change my mind one day?!"

  "Vex--"

  "I don't even know who you are."

  Dean's hurt flashed in his eyes, recoiling from his sister.

  "Yes, you do, V," He said quietly, "I'm-- I'm your brother."

  "My brother made mistakes. He left and he didn't reach out, and he was an idiot, but he didn't mean to be. . . but you kept a secret from me that could have hurt not only me but my daughter. The brother I grew up with would have never done that."

  Dean felt a lump form in his throat, feeling the break of something he thought was fixed forever.

  "I'm leaving."

  "No--"

  "You can't trust me," She laughed humorlessly, "I'm-- I'm what? Irrational? Calloused? What is it, why didn't you tell me?"

  Dean couldn't speak, even if he wanted to. The lump in his throat grew to the size of a basketball, keeping any words from escaping.

  "Doesn't matter," Vex said, her voice falling quiet again, "Zep and I will pack and be out of here tonight."

  "Vex, you can't leave," He whispered.

  Vex stared at him. At her big brother. He was supposed to protect her; that's what older siblings did. They were supposed to be strong, to be your bully and your friend. Teach you lessons no one else did, and have your back no matter what.

  But Vex had always felt in some way the world made a mistake. That she should have been born first. Because she'd looked after Dean, she'd picked him up, she'd protected him.

  "I can't stay with people who keep me at arm's length."

  Vex swallowed her emotion, leaving her brother without another word.

  And Dean Williams stayed in the field for a long while, attempting to keep his tears at bay, wondering if there was anything he could say or do to keep his little sister around.

🗡

  Maggie and Beth Greene both attempted to talk to Vex Williams. But it was only a matter of seconds to realize Vex wasn't exactly responsive to any conversation at the moment.

  The woman had been busy gathering any lingering items from around the farm, taking her time as the day went on, until facing the final beast.

  "Zep, get your things," Vex called, approaching the farmhouse.

  Glenn and Maggie were on the front steps, while Lori, Beth, Patricia, and Zeppelin lingered on the porch.

  "Mom, I don't want to," Zeppelin tried, standing from her seat.

  "Zeppelin, it wasn't a request," Vex said calmly, avoiding the eyes on her, "Go. Now."

  The girl frowned, slinking off into the home as other members of the group began to approach.

  "You're leaving?" Lori questioned.

  "Yeah," Vex mumbled.

  "Why--?"

  "Found the barn," Daryl said, approaching, "Didn't wanna take my word for it."

  Vex set her jaw.

  "You gonna leave, or you gonna fight?"

  The woman turned, eyeing Shane's approach with a Sherriff bag full of guns.

  "I'm pissed at the man but it's his land, put that shit away," Vex said, watching Daryl accept a gun.

  "I'm protectin' mine, I advise you to do the same."

  "I can promise you're the one who's gonna need protecting if you don't put those damn guns back," Vex said, taking a step toward the man, "You don't get to call the shots here, Officer."

  "I tell you--"

  "What's going on, Mom?" Zeppelin questioned, dropping her bag on the porch and quickly approaching her mother.

  "Nothin', put your bag in the truck," Vex mumbled, her eyes never leaving Shane's. 

  Zeppelin lingered, craning her neck to meet Carl's eyes.

  She didn't want to leave. To leave her uncle and Carl and Beth and Maggie and Hershel. Zeppelin loved her mother, this she knew, but she loved these people, too. 

  And she wanted to stay with them. All of them.

  "Oh, shit."

  Zeppelin turned toward the voice, following what T-Dog had seen, her heart sinking.

  Jimmy lead Hershel and Rick, who each had walkers attached to snare poles.

  Shane took off, the rest of the group following quickly.

  "Zeppelin, truck, now," Vex pointed, watching Shane fire shots into the walker Hershel held, "Right now."

  But Zeppelin just stared, her heart climbing to her throat, panic bubbling over when she saw Shane begin to break open the locks on the barn.

  "Zeppelin--"

  And then she was running. As fast as she could, toward the first friend she'd ever made, without much thought.

  "Oh, kid you are so grounded!"

  And then Vex was running, too.

WORD COUNT : 1386

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 76 8
𝐢𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐃𝐚𝐫𝐲𝐥 𝐃𝐢𝐱𝐨𝐧 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐝𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬 𝐚 𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐑𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐆𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐞𝐬. �...
20.5K 630 40
𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇, separated from the rest of the group, they need to learn to work together to survive 【 Start: 12•24•22 】 【 End: 01•07•23 】
376K 8.8K 27
❝ 𝒔𝒉𝒆'𝒔 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒐𝒇 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒘𝒂𝒍𝒌 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉 𝒉𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒆 𝒂𝒏 𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆𝒍 ❞
315K 9.3K 104
[seasons 4 - 11 ] STRANGERS TO FAMILY, 𝙞𝙣 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙘𝙝 𝙖 𝙜𝙧𝙤𝙪𝙥 𝙤𝙛 𝙨𝙪𝙧𝙫𝙞𝙫𝙤𝙧𝙨 𝙖𝙢𝙤𝙣𝙜𝙨𝙩 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙙𝙚𝙖𝙙 𝙢𝙖𝙠𝙚 𝙩𝙝𝙚𝙞𝙧 𝙬𝙖�...