Forgetting You

By Vivhouse

[Complete] Chloe's world is shattered when her parents' long-standing marriage comes to an abrupt end. Determ... More

Playlist
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Epilogue
Thank You!
More Books...

Chapter 23

534 40 110
By Vivhouse

As I approach the wedding ceremony, I gracefully navigate through the crowd of people. The setting is truly so dreamy—a beautiful plantation-style house surrounded by willow trees, its lush lawn is set up with seating for the ceremony just in front of the house. The whole scene exudes an air of Southern charm and elegance.

Looking around the ceremony area, I finally spot Jason and Leah at the other end, sitting down. With a smile on my face, I make my way over to them.

"Hey, there you guys are," I say as I take a seat next to them both.

"Hey," Leah greets me, leaning in for a hug. "Are you as hot as I am?" she asks, fanning herself with her hand.

"Yeah, I feel like I'm melting out here," I reply, laughing. "I don't know how no one else is dying from this heat."

"Hey, Clo," Jason says, flashing a smile.

"Jason, looking dashing as always," I say, taking in his Kiton tuxedo as I smile over at him.

"How has the rest of your day been?" Leah asks me as we wait for the wedding to start.

"It's been uneventful if that's what you're asking," I say to her. Because it's true. After leaving Henry to go get myself ready at his parent's house, we all got in the truck and drove to the hotel. Henry checked us in, and then he went to be with the groomsmen while I hung out in the hotel room, which did happen to just be two queen beds—just like he had promised me on the drive to Tennessee. I spent the rest of the time getting ready for the wedding, trying to calm my nerves and make sure everything looked perfect.

The music suddenly shifts, and a hush falls over the crowd as all eyes turn to the back of the ceremony aisle, awaiting the bride's grand entrance.

"So I didn't miss anything in between hanging up with you this morning and getting here?" Leah whispers, leaning closer to me.

"Nope," I whisper back, glancing over at her as she contemplates whether I'm telling the truth or not. "I haven't seen him since earlier this morning. He's been with the bridal party all day."

"Hmm," she hums, a touch of disappointment in her voice.

"Are you sure Clo?" Jason leans in and whispers over Leah's shoulder, trying to keep it hushed, "I'm about to owe Sophie two hundred bucks if you guys don't make up soon."

My jaw drops playfully, "Jason, tell me you're not in on the bets too, are you?"

He chuckles and winks, his blue eyes gleaming with mischief, "Hey, I have to stay a billionaire somehow," he teases, and I can't help but laugh.

Suddenly, everyone turns their attention to the back of the ceremony as the bridal party begins to walk down the aisle. And there he is, right in the front—Henry, looking so incredibly fucking hot in his tuxedo. His dirty blonde hair and those gooey brown eyes instantly catch my gaze, and I can't help but let a smile spread across my face.

He walks past me, my eyes following him as he walks down the aisle, and it's impossible to look away. Once he reaches the altar, he takes his place to the far right, standing among the groomsmen. Our eyes meet, and a smile instantly lights up his face.

Even as the music shifts for the bride to walk down the aisle, I stand with the rest of the guests, but my attention is solely fixed on Henry in that moment.

"Hi," he silently mouths, while no one else is paying attention.

"Hi," I mouth back to him.

"You look beautiful," he mouths right back, and I can't help but feel a slight blush crawling up my cheeks.

"Are you sure nothing happened?" Leah whispers to me. I turn to see her staring at me, staring at Henry, and her smirk says it all.

"Positive," I reply, rolling my eyes playfully.

I look back at him, momentarily mesmerized by his gaze. He then refocuses on his sister walking down the aisle, and I also turn my attention back to the wedding. The ceremony plays out and the officiant speaks heartfelt words, the couple exchanges their vows, and rings are placed on their fingers.

Besides noticing just how horrendous Hadley's bridesmaid dress really is, as she had told me earlier, Henry is the only thing I can focus on. His gaze remains locked on me throughout the entire ceremony. Each time our eyes meet, a subtle smile tugs at the corners of his lips, and my heart flutters in response.

Harper and Mason share their first kiss, and the recessional music begins, guiding the guests back to the cocktail hour. The officiant offers his closing remarks, and we are finally dismissed to enjoy the post-ceremony festivities.

Leah, Jason, and I make our way to the cocktail hour, where the time between the ceremony and the reception feels agonizingly slow. As we mingle with a few of the other guests, I can't help but find myself impatiently awaiting the moment when I'll get to see Henry again.

"Chloe, take a picture of us," Leah says, handing me her phone as she and Jason pose in front of one of the willow trees. I snap a few pictures, and then behind them, I spot Henry engrossed in conversation with an older man.

"I see Henry, I'll be right back," I tell Leah, handing her phone back, my eyes fixed on Henry as I make my way towards him.

"Okay," Leah responds with a knowing smile.

As I approach Henry, my heart flutters with a mix of nervousness and excitement. "Hey," I greet him.

"Hi," he says, his hand gliding across the silky fabric of my blue dress, causing goosebumps to erupt on my skin as he rests it gently at the bottom of my waist. "This is Mr. Carmichael. He's an old family friend. Mr. Carmichael, this is Chloe."

"Hi, nice to meet you, Mr. Carmichael," I say with a friendly smile, shaking his hand.

"I was just talking to Henry about how Florida has been the last few months. It will be good to have him back soon," Mr. Carmichael says, making conversation.

"Oh, yes, we absolutely love it there," I reply, glancing at Henry and then back at Mr. Carmichael. "I'm sorry, Mr. Carmichael, would you mind if I steal my boyfriend away from you for a moment?"

Mr. Carmichael chuckles, understandingly. "Of course, go ahead. I need to find my wife anyways," he says, looking around. "I'm sure she's wondering where her drink is." He holds up two glasses of champagne before walking away.

Once we're alone, Henry's warm eyes lock onto mine, and a playful smile dances on his lips. He faces me, his gaze lingering on my dress, and I can't help but feel a rush of excitement.

"You like it?" I ask, playfully popping my shoulder. "Found it while shopping that day we FaceTimed your mom."

He slowly smiles and nods, his voice barely above a whisper, "I love it." Taking a step closer, he adds, "You look beautiful."

The compliment sends a flutter through my chest. "You don't look half bad either," I reply, unable to suppress my smile.

"Thank you," he says, his voice carrying a trace of amusement, and I can't help but bite my lip.

"Your tie's a little crooked," I mention, my eyes still locked with his.

It's not.

He glances down at his tie, then back up at me with a grin. "Is it?" he asks and I nod in response to his question.

I reach for his bow tie as Henry gently rests his hands on my hips, and the warmth of his touch seeps through my silky dress, sending a shiver down my spine. He tilts his head up, offering me his neck as he watches me, and the scent of the Tom Ford cologne I bought him wafts into my face, making me smile.

"There you go," I say softly straightening his tie and then brushing off the non-existent specks of lint from his tux. But in truth, I just want a reason to touch him.

"Thank you," he says with a smirk, his eyes locked onto mine. And then, in a sudden but deliberate move, he starts to lean in closer, catching me off guard.

My heart skips a beat as his face inches closer to mine, and a nervous laugh escapes my lips. "What are you doing?" I ask, my voice betraying my own uncertainty. A part of me feels like we shouldn't be kissing in public, like it's somehow wrong, even if it's all just pretend.

He chuckles softly, his eyes gleaming mischievously. "Well, I was going to kiss you," he admits, pausing for a moment to let his words sink in, "...you know, for fake dating purposes."

I glance around at the guests mingling during the cocktail hour, and then back at Henry, pretending to consider what he's just said.

"Oh, right, for fake dating purposes," I say, shaking my head and playfully rolling my eyes at him, as if I should have known better. "Duh."

He chuckles at my response, thoroughly amused by me. "That's a good idea. I'm not sure why I didn't already think of that. It makes perfect sense. I mean, why wouldn't you kiss your girl—" I start to say, but he cuts me off.

"Sweetheart, will you shut up and let me kiss you?" he says, his smirk never leaving his lips. I can't help but smile at his request.

"Right, sorry," I whisper, my playful facade momentarily dropping. I nod in response, and he leans in slowly. I can feel his breath on my lips, and the proximity is almost too much to bear. And then, without hesitation, I lean in, closing the distance.

His lips against mine feel like everything. So soft, gentle, and utterly intoxicating, sending a tingling sensation through my entire body. His tongue dips into mine, gently caressing it. He tastes like a mix of mint and champagne. It's quite possibly the best thing I've ever experienced in my entire life.

I grip the lapels of his tux jacket, pulling him closer to me as I let out an involuntary groan. And then, his kiss comes to a halt, slowly pulling away.

No, why is he stopping?

"Sweetheart, you can't do that here," he whispers in my ear, his warm breath causing goosebumps to break out on my skin in response. Suddenly, I become aware of our surroundings, and I quickly glance around, realizing that people are still all around us. My face immediately heats up, a blush spreading across my cheeks.

I clear my throat, trying to compose myself. "Right," I manage to say, as he leans back, looking at me with those brown eyes. I instinctively reach up and gently wipe off a little bit of my lipstick that transferred onto his lips during the kiss, my fingertips grazing his soft lips.

"Hey," Leah says with a mischievous smirk on her face, obviously having just caught us kissing as she walks over with Jason. "There you guys are."

"Jason, Leah, it's great to see you both," Henry responds warmly.

"Hey man, good to see you," Jason adds, giving Henry a handshake.

As Jason and Henry catch up, Leah and I snag a few of the appetizers from one of the waiters who are walking around with trays of them, as we all wait for the reception to start.

"I'm going to go grab a drink at the bar," Henry says, his hands gently resting on my hips from behind me. He leans in, his lips grazing my ear as he whispers, "You want anything?"

"Yes, please," I reply, turning to face him with a smile. Slowly, he leans in, and our lips meet in a tender, lingering kiss before he pulls away and heads to the bar, leaving me with a contented smile.

"You guys sure are really touchy for fake dating," Jason remarks, his playful tone drawing my attention. I turn to face him as Leah snorts out a laugh.

"Shut up, Jason," I say, trying to sound nonchalant. "It's called acting."

He chuckles, clearly enjoying the situation. "Well, Clo, you're about to win an Oscar because," he pauses for dramatic effect as he mockingly slow-claps, "this may be the best performance of your life." I can't help but laugh and playfully shove him in response.

I glance over at Henry as he stands at the bar, chatting with a girl while ordering drinks. "I mean, it's not that difficult. We've dated before, so it's familiar territory," I say nonchalantly.

"Mmm hmm," Leah responds, clearly not fully buying into my explanation.

"Hey," I hear Hadley say from behind me, and I turn to face her. "Have you seen my brother?" she asks with a smile.

"He's at the bar grabbing a drink," I reply, glancing over at Henry still engrossed in conversation. "Do you need something from him?"

"Oh, it's nothing," she waves it off, "Mom just wants to get another family picture. Something about one eye being closed," she chuckles and then turns her attention to the two people standing with me.

"Hadley, these are my friends, Leah and Jason," I say, introducing them.

"Hi, nice to meet you both," she greets them warmly. "You guys are from New York too?" she asks, curious.

"Nice to meet you," Leah says, shaking Hadley's hand, and then Jason does the same, adding, "We are. Jason here is friends with Mason from work."

"Oh, nice! What a small world," Hadley says, smiling.

"Hey, by the way, you were right about your bridesmaid's dress," I say with a teasing grin.

"I know, right? It's awful," Hadley responds, causing Leah and me to burst into laughter.

"It is, isn't it, Leah?" I turn to her, gesturing to the green dress, "I mean, the cut is great-"

"But the color," Hadley finishes, shaking her head with mock exasperation, "I look like Kermit the Frog." She breaks into laughter, and we can't help but join in.

"She was trying to go for a sage green, but this was what showed up. Now I have to look like a ball of snot all night," Hadley jokes as I glance back at Henry, who is engaged in conversation with the girl at the bar.

My curiosity gets the better of me, and I turn back to Hadley, asking, "Hey, who is that your brother's talking to?" I inquire, and she turns to look in the direction of Henry.

A faint change in her expression catches my attention. "Oh, that's um... That's Savannah," she responds hesitantly.

I follow her gaze back to Henry, and just as I do, he says something that makes Savannah laugh. Her hand gently rests on his forearm, and my heart rate quickens.

"Savannah?" I ask Hadley, my voice trying to sound casual despite the turmoil of emotions inside.

"Who's Savannah?" Leah says, clearly puzzled by my sudden change in demeanor.

I'm trying my best to ignore the waves of insecurity and jealousy threatening to overwhelm me, I take a deep breath. It shouldn't matter who Savannah is, right? Henry and I are just pretending anyways, and he's free to talk to whomever he wants...

I glance back at the two of them talking, trying to compose myself, but my mind is racing. "Clo, why do you look like you're about to freak out?" I hear Leah say, concern lacing her voice.

"I'm sorry, will you excuse me for a second," I say, excusing myself and walking over to where Henry and Savannah are still engaged in conversation.

"Who the fuck is Savannah?" I hear Jason's voice in the distance, faintly reaching my ears as I walk away.

Notes

Okay, what are your thoughts on this chapter?

How do you feel about Savannah being there?

Thanks for reading everyone! Looking forward to hearing your feedback! Don't forget to vote and comment! 😊❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

248 11 6
Harper married young and she married wrong. She tried for years to make her relationship work, until one fateful day when she arrived home early fro...
3.4K 125 12
They've known each other their entire lives. He always looked out for her, and she considered him her personal hero. Until one night, a case of mista...
2.6K 178 48
Big city girl returns home to a past she'd like not to remember and a hot cowboy she can't seem to forget. ...
5.3K 932 74
Madison is a reserved girl with a comfortable yet uneventful life back home. She has good grades, a loving sister, and a father who's intent on her l...