A Flight of Broken Wings: Aer...

By Nupur_C

Six hundred years ago, humanity rose up in revolt against the Aeriels. They were driven from earth - and back... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
The Aeriel Trilogy #2: A Call for Brighter Days
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Book 2: Continued

Chapter 58

0 0 0
By Nupur_C

Simani strolled lazily through the little yard surrounding the Quarters, a cigarette dangling loosely from her fingers. She was finally back at the office after a gap of over half a month, not that it was doing her much good. She was to be chained firmly to the desk for another couple of weeks at least; no field-work for her until the damned doctors gave her a clean chit of health. It was all profoundly frustrating.

As she turned a corner near the back of the building, a hand grabbed her and pulled her unceremoniously into an alcove between the red-brick walls.

"Not that I don't appreciate the interest, Ashwin," she said in a level voice to the dishevelled-looking boy who still held her loosely around her wrist, his eyes bright with what she thought might have been excitement. Her own hand had gone instinctively to the holster at her belt. "But you do realise I could have killed you if I'd had just a tad bit less self-control. Or if you hadn't been just a tad bit too pretty to disfigure."

Ashwin laughed, and the sound reminded her vaguely of the slow tinkling of temple bells during Friday prayers. "Sorry to startle you, Simani. But I really did need to speak with you. I need your help."

"And help you would've had even if you'd waited another ten minutes for me to get back into the office."

Ashwin shook his head emphatically. "No, no. This is...secret. We can't let Ruban find out we're doing this. That's why I couldn't talk to you inside," he glanced furtively at the main entrance before shaking his head again, loose strands of hair flying everywhere.

Simani felt her skin prickle with something that wasn't exactly suspicion, but was close enough. "What do you mean? Why can't Ruban know about whatever this is?"

Ashwin made a face. "'Cause he would never allow it, is why. He's no fun whatsoever." He shook his head sadly. "I'm only trying to help. But he'll be all up in my face threatening to drive that damned knife into my throat, I just know it. So, it's got to be you. You've got to help me get the tapes."

"Tapes? What tapes?"

"The SifCo tapes, of course," Ashwin said matter-of-factly. Then, when Simani continued to stare at him uncomprehendingly, he elaborated with the longsuffering sigh of one surrounded by his intellectual inferiors. "The security tapes at SifCo. There must have been surveillance cameras in the building. Particularly in the room with the formula, the one which Tauheen attacked. I need the footage of the fight – you know, between Ruban and Tauheen."

"What for?" asked Simani, frowning. "That's evidence, Ashwin. Vital evidence in an ongoing investigation. You can't just walk in and take those tapes."

"Of course I can't. That's the whole point. That's why I need you. We still have the case for another week, so you have all the access you need. You can get the tapes for me."

"But what for? What will you do with them?"

"I'll keep my promise," he said, looking earnestly into her eyes. "I said I'll do what I can to help Ruban keep the SifCo case. And I plan to keep my word."

Simani took a drag of her cigarette, then threw it down, putting it out with the heel of her boot. In truth, she had no real reason to doubt Ashwin's sincerity. He had been with them for almost two months and in all that time had shown no signs of wanting anything but to see the case through, as he had originally claimed during their first meeting at the IAW. Looking at him now, she couldn't detect any signs of deception on his face. Still, Simani had never been a particularly trusting person to begin with, and four years at Bracken had beaten any remaining shreds of gullibility out of her system. "Fine, I can get you the tapes," she said, looking at him through narrowed eyes, watching to see his reaction. "But first, you have to tell me what you plan to do with them."

If Simani had expected to see hesitation in Ashwin's eyes, she did not find it. Instead, they lit up with what she thought was amusement, and he just laughed some more. "Show the world what we already know, of course," he said easily. "That there couldn't be anyone better suited to handle this case than Ruban."

Simani sighed. She had a feeling it was just as well that she didn't know anything more about this hare-brained scheme than this. Plausible deniability certainly had its uses. "Alright, I'll get you the tapes. I'll need to get in touch with the IAW, though. That's where all the evidence is stored. It might take a couple of days."

Ashwin's eyes widened. "IAW?" he said incredulously. "No, no, don't do that. We go straight to SifCo. They'll have a copy of the footage. And they'll give it to you if you ask – just for a while, of course, so we can make a copy of our own. You're a Hunter, and involved with this case. You can just tell them you need it for the investigation and they won't suspect a thing."

"But why?" asked Simani, baffled. "Why go through all that trouble when I can just get it from the IAW? As you said, I still have access in this case."

"Because, Simani," Ashwin began, the longsuffering tone back. "If you withdraw evidence from the IAW, there'll be an official record of it. It would be far harder to explain away than a casual chat with some junior security staff at SifCo."

Simanilooked up at the sky – the day was remarkably clear for monsoon – and prayed toheaven for the patience to deal with the Zainian without putting a bulletthrough his head. "Alright Ashwin," she said finally, leaning back against thewall to get a better look at his face. "We'll go to SifCo tonight."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

249 88 16
----- When violence broke out in the city of Atland, Leviathans, groups of outlaws tried to get to the top and rule the city. But they all failed to...
1.5K 247 39
"Is it possible to love and hate the same person simultaneously? To wish for her happiness while determined to take it away? To want her well being w...
17.7K 1.2K 49
!! Sequel to In Search of Home. If you haven't read that, you'll be a little confused! !! After the humans invaded - somewhat; it was his fault, real...
1.2M 63.1K 38
When Anna May is kidnapped by a handsome, shapeshifting Dragon Prince, she'll have to decide if accepting him as her mate is worth never seeing her f...