The Kindness of Strangers

Oleh MorbidlyBatty

This female reader picks up a hitchhiker while traveling the Texas countryside. Will she fall in love or be b... Lebih Banyak

Ch. 1 - Howdy, Stranger!
Ch. 2 - Peachy Keen
Ch. 3 - Rest My Eyes
Ch. 4 - A Talk on the Porch
Ch. 5 - Meet the Family!
Ch. 6 - Confrontation
Ch. 7 - Yours
Ch. 8 - Death in the Family
Ch. 9 - The Funeral
Ch. 10 - Uncles, Am I Right?
Ch. 11 - The Arrangements Begin
Ch. 12 - Dearly Beloved pt. 1
Dearly Beloved pt. 2
Ch. 14 - Chop Top is Top Notch
Ch. 16 - The Plot Thickens
Ch. 17 - The Clinic
Ch. 18 - Rub Ah Dub Dub
Ch. 19 - Game Night
Ch. 20 - Boy's Trip
Ch. 21 - Snapping Turtle
Ch. 22 - Texas Battle Land
Ch. 23 - The Beginning of the End
Ch. 24 - The Estate
Ch. 25 - The ending (kind of)
Chapter 26: Babi

Ch. 15 - All Their Homies Hate the Sawyers

351 10 2
Oleh MorbidlyBatty

I fall out of bed when Drayton slams the door open.

"Enough canoodlin'! The shops are about to open and we're burnin' daylight!" I choke on the air caught in my lungs as I lurch forward to angrily grab Drayton. The man takes one step away. "Don't give me the stank eye. It ain't my fault ye slept in!" Tommy groans and puts his pillow over his ears. I will not be supported so early in the morning.

I shamble onto my feet and grab my hairbrush out of the nightstand. I usually brush it wet but today will be the exception. I quickly brush it into a ponytail as I catch my reflection in the mirror. Yeesh. Maybe I should get bangs. I bet Mama would do that for me...or Verna. Verna has definitely cut all their hair to know how to make some good bangs.

Drayton taps his foot impatiently while I pull my socks and shoes on. I squint at him.

"If you keep eyeing me like that, I'll just get slower." The old man throws his arms up and storms downstairs, leaving me with some peace. I hear Thomas chuckle from beneath the pillow.

I meet Drayton downstairs to have a lunchbox shoved into my chest, leaving me, once again, wheezing.

"Since I already ate, you can eat in the car! Got an egg salad sandwich in there with some sausage links. Should still be hot since I wrapped it in the shop's foil." I look down to see a faded Bozo the Clown lunch box. It must've been in the family a while. Haven't seen one of these since my grandma's house. I hold the fun little box to my chest hoping to keep my breakfast warm as I follow Drayton to the truck. Despite the truck's age, Drayton takes care of it and it has a full tank plus a spare can. My van is so beat up and rusted, I'm surprised I made it to Texas at all.

I get in the truck wearily and put my seatbelt on. I've seen an accident or two and don't want my skull going through the windshield while I'm eating breakfast. I open my little clown lunchbox to see a lovingly wrapped sandwich and two sausages put to the side. He even put napkins on the wrapped side so they wouldn't get greasy. I notice Drayton looking at me opening my breakfast. I give him a smile before biting into my sandwich. He rolls his eyes and starts the car.

The road is so long and dusty, I don't even dare to stick my head out of the window. Might end up with mud in my lungs. Drayton keeps eyeing me and my breakfast, I'm almost done with it. Been taking my time so I don't get a stomach ache.

"I used to make all us boys lunches when I started to cook ye know. You should've seen Tommy eat back then. Had to pack him two boxes. That was before hard times of course...when the slaughterhouse was open." I smile at Drayton.

"I'm sure they loved the lunches you made. It's good sausage by the way, real juicy." Drayton smiles.

"I'm gonna use that same meat and some beef in my chili this year. Gonna give it that flavor I've been lookin' for. Gonna win that money prize for sure. Get the house fixed up some. Like how grandpa wants it." I finish gulping down the last of my food.

"That sounds amazing Drayton but...where you gonna get beef with no cows?" Drayton waves one hand at me.

"Aunt Verna used some of her man's money to buy a fancy livestock business. All the money and none of the work. She's working hard to get us back on top in this town. It's just gonna take a while." I nod.

"What was Tommy like...you know before the accident?" Drayton pinches his mouth hard and almost seems sick.

"This last accident was my fault. If I had known better and kept him out of my pranks, the clinic wouldn't have taken 'em. I don't treat him different though. He'd know why I'd gone soft and would be pissed as hell. When he was little and in school, he still had some issues. Couldn't talk for a long time...just too damn shy. Always in his own world." I smile.

"Like now with his crafts and his chicken?" Drayton slaps the steering wheel with a laugh.

"Him and that damn bird! We were suppose to eat that bird for supper but he just wouldn't have it! Insisted this one was special. If you catch him you'll hear him sing his little songs to it. He treats that thing better than most people treat their kids."

"I just know with me out of the house he's gonna let it into the room. He says he don't but I see the feathers she leaves." Drayton chuckles and shakes his head.

"Hey, Drayton?" Drayton grunts in acknowledgment. "When I first came here, what kept y'all from running me out like the rest of the people I see come down here?" Drayton mumbles to himself, thinking for a second.

"Well...you were polite company and Mama wanted a girl real bad. A girl maybe one of the boys would like too. That's 'bout all there is to it. Her meddling in everyone's business like mamas do." I hum.

"Did you expect Tommy to like me?" Drayton scoffs and rolls his eyes.

"Honestly, no. He'd been obsessed with this radio lady for a while. Always listening to the radio when she was the host. Nearly drove us mad. You shocked us all though by picking Tommy. Think you shocked him too. Not exactly a looker anymore." I shrug.

"I think he's handsome. You just don't see his face enough. Plus he's got a beautiful soul. Like an angel." Drayton looks at me funny but stops to point out the buildings ahead.

"Best tell me what you're looking for girly, that way I know where I'm goin'" I unfold my list of things for the family.

"Vinyls for Chop Top, men's clothes, lady's makeup and clothes, and the drug store." Drayton hums.

"There's a strip mall we can go to with some outlet stores. Got some competitors in that neighborhood too that I can look at. See what I'm dealing with."

It's so odd being in the city again. Makes me feel a little self-conscious about being in my work clothes. All the girls around here look so pretty it ain't fair. We drive for a few more minutes before Drayton pulls into a little shopping square.

"We'll park here and walk the rest. The pharmacy is just a few blocks down with some of the other places."

The first place I notice is the store labeled Men's Apparel. As we walk toward it I notice the clerk doesn't seem to be looking at me.

"What can I do for you today, sir? Any clothing brands in particular that you're lookin' for?" Drayton looks down at me.

"Well?" The clerk looks at me confused.

"Do-do you sell men's clothes in double extra large? Waist size 48's? Size 13 shoe?" The man whistles and scratches his head.

"Check our big and tall section in the back. I'll look in storage to see if we were about to toss any. My daddy was a big fella so I know how hard it is to find good clothes." I clap my hands together.

"Thank you so so much!" I look each way, reading the signs until I find the Big and Tall section... it's very small. Drayton and I sigh. Drayton scratches his head.

"Maybe if we buy 2 Large shirts and stitch em up it would work." I shrug.

"It might be what we have to do." I manage to find two pairs of pants and a shirt with a cowhide pattern. It's a little flashy but Tommy would get a kick out of it. By the time the clerk is back, he hands you a box of steel-toe boots with no laces.

"A customer returned. I'll give 'em to you for half price." I sigh and hand over the cash. The man needs clothes, and I refuse to leave without clothes. Drayton gives you a side-eye look.

"Tommy's a size 13 shoe?" I shrug.

"12 wide but it's easier to find a regular 13. Can't be too picky." Drayton nods in agreement. We leave what we bought on the passenger side before heading to Women's Apparel.

The woman looks me up and down with a smirk.

"Now bless your heart, what can I get for you?" Oh. OH. If I weren't a different woman. Oh in a different time, those would've been fightin' words. I paint a smile on my face that feels like the lie it is.

"I'm here to buy my mother-in-law somethin' special for her tea times. Somethin' simple but nice." The lady's smile seems to fall a little at the mention of being married.

"Our florals should be to your left, on the third rack."

"Thank you."

Drayton looks at me funny.

"You ain't married?"

"I lied. She's being snotty 'cause I'm dressed for work and travel. I ain't about to do my hair just to have it blown out. Gotta knock her down a peg. She ain't have a ring so I hit her below the belt is all." Drayton clicks his tongue and shakes his head.

"I'll never understand you, ladies. Go get Mama that dress she wanted." Outlets are out of season so the dress should be here by now. I see it hiding behind some significantly older designs. A green dress with a floral print in a large. She'll feel like a spring chicken in this one.

After buying the dress and Chop Top's Vinyls, we make our way to the pharmacy. The sidewalks are so straight and nice here. Before I step inside Drayton puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Get behind me real quick." I look over and see a group of men approaching. No explanation is needed on my end. I keep my hands up but I put myself behind the taller man.

"What the fuck you doin' here Sawyer, you know you're kind ain't welcome here." Drayton puts his hands up.

"Now Hartman, I was just taking my brother's girlfriend here shopping. She's not from around here and just needed some help. I'm not here to cause a fight." Hartman scoffs.

"Like anyone would fuck any of you pigs." The man looks me up and down. "How would you like to get with a real man, sweetheart?" I grab my knife out of my pocket.

"How would you like your nose? In your hand or shoved down your throat?" The men behind Hartman laugh but Hartman's smile falters.

"I've done time boys. 60 days for assault. It's a year in Texas. I can do that. I got all the time in the world. No family, no worries." The men stop laughing and start looking at Hartman. Hartman looks angry but doesn't make a move. "I'm gonna go into this here pharmacy for all my lady needs. I don't want this poor clerk to have to mop up any of us off the floor. Have a good day." I close my knife and back Drayton into the store. I can see the men start yelling at Hartman in confusion. Drayton drags me to the back.

"What on God's green Earth was that? You tryin' to get US KILLED?!" I shush Drayton and he looks around nervously. I give his shoulder a squeeze of comfort.

"Look, you can't back down to those bullies. We have every right to be here. The house NEEDS first aid kits, Drayton. Henriette NEEDS baby supplies." Drayton keeps his mouth pinched but nods. He gives me a wary look.

"You been to jail?" I laugh.

"Not really. I broke a kid's nose in the 3rd grade and they put me in holding to scare me straight." Drayton seems to relax considerably. "Did it stress you out that much?" He nods.

"You never know someone. Glad to know you're a good bluffer." I shrug.

"Let's go get a basket so we can get the hell out of this looney bin." Drayton chuckles.

We spent most of our money on baby formula and diapers but managed to get a good deal on a couple of first aid kits that include stitches. Drayton cries out in anger, kicking the gravel when we get back to the truck. It's scratched all up the side and has a toppled garbage can in the end. God, it smells. Must've thrown in a dead raccoon for good luck. I pat his back and slowly take the keys out of his shaking hands.

"I'll drive home. Just breathe."

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

209K 7.7K 38
Thomas was an interesting person, to say the least. You found yourself fascinated by the large and scary man. A true gentle giant... to you, that is...
110K 3.7K 21
Y/n is a mask maker reopening her family business in Texas town Poth after years spent away in California. A rather unfortunate meeting with a cannib...
120K 3.4K 23
Matilda and her boyfriend Matt are injured in a car crash and left stranded in the rural backwoods of Texas. All the commotion draws the deadly atten...
80.3K 2.9K 40
Y/n l/n, A 18 year old girl, kind and spunky. She loves scary movies and anything to do with it, But when she has a strange dream everything goes dow...