Reflections Of Better

By Sh0w-me-1sh

Nine and Chaos Sonic have a chat. A chat that was only filled with insults and insecurities, yet somehow that... More

Reflections Of Better

105 12 1
By Sh0w-me-1sh

In the end, Nine's whole dimension was just a dimension... it wasn't even able to be an alternate universe. Nope. It's just a measly dimension. A grain of sand on the beach. A small speck of brilliancy.

And Nine was completely okay with that revelation. His dimension was worthless and filthy anyway. It wasn't important. Nothing but a bad dream for Sonic...

Yet this info doesn't stop the bits and pieces of jealousy and anger bubbling from the surface. He hates himself for even having these thoughts. For letting them get so bad that he hurt(betrayed) his first friend. Nine glared up at the ceiling. 

Soon after betraying Sonic, he came to his senses. Nine knew how this wouldn't solve anything, so he forgot about the Grim. Cause even if he did get his perfect world, he would be alone. Just as always. It would be no different than living in New Yolk City. (Not really because at least the air is breathable in the Grim.) Suffice to say, Nine would much rather cease to exist with friends rather than cease to exist without having made one.

Which has him in his current predicament. Having to help the rebels in officially defeating the Eggman council and helping Sonic get his friends back. (The REAL ones)

Nine knew this was the right thing, but he also couldn't help himself from feeling the growing pit in his heart. That spoke the truth. That told him how he was temporary.

A placeholder for the real deal. 

An ugly reflection of Sonic's true friend, Tails.

Robotic gears scratch Nine's ears and snap him out of his self-loathing. He turns his head in the direction of the noise. He was surprised by what he saw. No. Who he saw.

Chaos Sonic

He must've snuck in to steal the shards. Again, it's surprising. Nine didn't know that this version of Sonic knew how to shut up or even how to sneak. He managed to be more annoying than the real deal. (Again. Real?)

Nine couldn't deny that this robotic creation was a masterpiece. It was able to keep up with Sonic in the means of speed and was scarily able to replicate mobian emotions. 

Sometimes, Nine thinks that he has more emotion than himself. He ends up shaking those thoughts away most of the time..

He couldn't let himself dwell on it, Nine prepared his metallic tails to fight.

"Why hello there, you filthy rodent!" The robot spoke a few words, but already, its cheery voice grated Nine's ears.

"Leave before I blow you to bits again."  Nine had no time for this.

"WOW! That's very rude of you -" The robot laughed. Nine thought back about how terrifying this machine was able to replicate emotions. "Still need to get revenge for that, though."

Nine continued his glaring. 

"Stop looking at me like that...." The fake sonic seemed to stop and stand still (He can stand still?!) to think. "... What was it that Sonic called you? ..Tails?"

He shot his gun, aiming for the stupid robot's head. Not that it even hit him.

"It's nine." The words left his mouth with a sharp sting to them. 

"Sonic thinks otherwise."

Another shot rang through. Unfortunately, the bullet didn't pierce his opponent's head as the robot quickly moved aside. Man, how he wanted to relive the moment he decommissioned him right now. 

"Awhhh, must've hit a nerve, right?" His giggly tone tempted Nine to fire another round at him. He resisted, of course. One of them had to have self-control.

"Don't want to hear it from someone in the same position as me." Nine spat out. 

Something in the robot shifted. His gaze... huh? Nine couldn't read it. He didn't care. Why should he? This thing wasn't real. (LIKE HIM LIKEHIMLIKEHIM)

It took a second for the robot to charge forward and aim its fist towards Nine's gun. Not much luck since Nine's extensions lurched forward and blocked the attack.

He stepped back out and let out a small laugh. "Awhh, must've hit a nerve, right?" Nine mimicked, and he, unlike Chaos Sonic, continued.

"I have the decency to have a different name from Tails." Nine's laugh got a little louder. Somehow, Chaos Sonic knew that his laugh wasn't one of happiness. Empty, he might say. "But YOU. You chose to still have the same name. Sonic."

The roles reversed. 

Chaos Sonic was glaring at Nine now. Hoping. Praying. That looks could kill at that very moment. 

"I kept the name to show that blue bastard, I'm better." He defended himself. 

"At what?" Nine ceased his laughter. His throat felt dry. He only hopes his eyes stay dry, too. Crying in front of an enemy is far from pleasant. "Better at being blown to bits? Better at making friends? Oh! How about this! -"

Chaos Sonic had no blood, but if he did, he knew his blood would run cold. 

"Better at being nothing but a lowly reflection." 

So what if Nine was projecting? Truth hurts, right? Let it hurt this shadow. Maybe..Maybe someone else could feel this burden he feels. Someone to share that deep pit in his heart. 

Nine's eyes betrayed him. Chaos Sonic could easily see how those words hurt Nine just as much as it hurt him. After all, the fox said it himself.

We're in the same position. 

Both parts of the same stupid dimension are currently crumbling at this very second. Both seen as villains in most eyes. Both just measly copies of the perfect 'Unbreakable duo' that is Sonic and Tails.

"And you aren't?" Chaos Sonic growled out at Nine. "I see how Sonic barely sees you as your own person, you know?" If he were the REAL Sonic, Chaos would've probably stopped right now. Ran over to nine and brought him into a big hug. But just as stated over and over again, he wasn't the original one. "How Sonic doesn't see you as real?"

Of course. It's that dumb word again. Such a miniscule word that held so much meaning. It loomed over Nine's head, so close to reach, yet still too far. Why does Nine have to adamantly defend how he's real? 

Isn't it obvious? He's realrealrealrealREALREALREALREAL...

Can't anyone see that? (No)

"I have a semblance of being real. Can't say the same for you." Nine, somehow said. His throat was so dry that he didn't know he could speak. "You were made by prism energy. By scrap. Nothing but a machine." 

They held each other's gaze. The words hung in the air, and it came across more suffocating than the polluted air in New Yolk City. 

And something must've been funny for the two of them. Or was it just their minds finally caving in on them? (Maybe? Does it matter?)

Because in such a tense situation, they both let out a snort. Which evolved to giggles. In return, it turned into full-fledged laughter.

Relief washed over them. Nine's gun was forgotten, and Chaos Sonic's plan to snatch the shards was discarded. Right now, both shadows were enjoying the only thing they both had over Sonic and Tails.

Those two were a packaged deal. Friends in every universe. And as their whole nickname stated, an unbreakable duo.

It was everything these two weren't. Nine and Chaos Sonic had zero affiliation with one another. They didn't hold the other dear to their heart. Heck, they hated each other!

From all accounts, they are enemies. 

And it was great! Amazing! Fantastic! 

This is something unique to them. (REAL) Sonic and Tails wouldn't hurl heartbreaking insults to one another and genuinely mean it. Those two weren't going to fight until the other one passed out. They wouldn't lie, cheat, and steal from one another with the intention of hurting the other. This was them. Chaos and Nine. 

A tragic and toxic duo. 

So as their laughter died down, and they got into position to fight. Both found an understanding with one another. They ran up to each other and exchanged blows. For both of them, the pain never registered.

They were letting themselves enjoy the sense of relief in one another. They were real to one another. Chaos is a real pain in the ass for Nine, and Nine is a real asshole towards Chaos. 

The pit in their heart was real. Their insults to one another were real. To them, they were real.

So as Sonic came rushing in, smashing Chaos Sonic away from Nine. As Sonic yelled out the name Tails rather than Nine. As Sonic looked as if he were protecting his younger brother and not Nine.

It wouldn't hurt Nine as much as it used to. With how Chaos and Nine were just reflections of better, it could be the same the other way around. Sonic and Tails are reflections of worst. And that lessened the burden Nine carried.

Maybe in the future, Chaos Sonic could learn to befriend Nine and vice versa. Maybe a miracle would occur that saved Nine's dimension, allowing him to continue his life. Maybe that life would include an even more annoying Sonic, and their bond would still continue to be different from the people they're based on.

Maybe.

Right now, though.

 Chaos and Nine were just lavashing in the feeling that in someone's eyes, they were real, not an extension or a different design for a character, but rather they were their own person.

With the insults that hurt their souls deeply, and with the fights that will definitely leave each other with scratches. 

The pit in their hearts seem to ever so slightly lessen.

----------

Got distracted writing this story rather than working on the main one whoops.
Idk what happened during this fic cause originally it was supposed to be Chaos Sonic and Nine comforting each other and being all nice.... and now wow. I fr made them bond over the fact that their relationship is so not like Sonic and Tails.

I hope yall enjoyed this story!!! <333

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

626K 31.7K 60
A Story of a cute naughty prince who called himself Mr Taetae got Married to a Handsome yet Cold King Jeon Jungkook. The Union of Two totally differe...
89.8K 3.1K 52
"๐“๐ซ๐ฎ๐ญ๐ก, ๐๐š๐ซ๐ž, ๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ง ๐›๐จ๐ญ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž๐ฌ ๐˜๐จ๐ฎ ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐ก๐จ๐ฐ ๐ญ๐จ ๐›๐š๐ฅ๐ฅ, ๐ˆ ๐ค๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐€๐ซ๐ข๐ฌ๐ญ๐จ๐ญ๐ฅ๐ž" ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ Caitlin Clark fa...
748K 27.5K 102
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’œ my first fanfic...