SUSIE Q, billy dunne

By svnsetjeon

SUSIE Q | "say that you'll be true, and never be blue, susie q, say you'll be mine, all the time" daisy jone... More

CAST + SUMMARY
EPIGRAPH
SOUNDTRACK
TRACK 1 - HAVE LOVE, WILL TRAVEL
TRACK 2 - SUSIE Q, I LOVE YOU
TRACK 3 - HONEY HONEY
TRACK 4 - DON'T GO WASTING YOUR EMOTIONS
TRACK 5 - ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM

TRACK 6 - THE BEGINNING OF THE END

399 14 0
By svnsetjeon

SUSIE Q
CHAPTER SIX

[ SADIE AGRON; After Owen and Ash joined the band, everything that me and Roxy had planned suddenly came together. ]

OWEN AND ASH CRAWFORD WERE THE CATALYST FOR SO WHAT!'S DEBUT. Sadie and Roxy had spent so long in search of their perfect bandmates and they were it. Owen was the main guitarist and singer in his own band, Indigo but when he agreed to join So What!, although in 1972 the band was still unnamed, Owen agreed to take a step back and pursue one of his other many talents. Although some would argue that he didn't so much as step aside as he was pushed. 

So What! was Roxy's band. She was founder and fully intended on being lead guitarist and lead singer. Which was all well and good expect most people seemed to take to Sadie a lot better. So she settled for Sadie to be the face while Roxy worked on the music. Although, in the end they all contributed, it was a rocky start. Ash was more than happy to be a drummer. He never had any complaints about his position and often hung in the back while the other members argued because he just didn't give a fuck. 

Sadie, unaware of how much of a complete narcissist she was, quite happily took on the role of lead singer while Roxy stuck to bass and Owen got handed a rhythmic guitar.  

[ OWEN CRAWFORD, rhythmic guitarist for So What!: I didn't mind owning rhythm. I mean sure, who doesn't want to play bass? But some one's gotta do it. I was just happy to be in a band. Indigo was going nowhere. So What! wasn't either but Roxy and Sadie had this insane determination that just kept you going. I wasn't going to quit just 'cause I was a little uncomfortable. ]

Now as a full band, So What! was ready to play any stage that would take them. But as of 1972, they still had no name and no bar would take them without a name.

[ SADIE AGRON: Owen wanted to keep the name Indigo. It was a cute name but it didn't really mean anything. ]

[ ROXY DELMONICO: I wanted a name that reflected our sound. Which was something we also disagreed on. But it was my fucking band. I should have the last say. But no. It was always Sadie. ]

The band sat around the Crawford garage where Owen and Ash's parents let them rehearse. It was demeaning but it was all they had. The four of them had been arguing for twenty minutes over names. 

"What about Night Watchers?" Ash suggested as he played around with the tuning of his guitar.

Sadie's face contorted in disapproval. "Sounds like a vampire cult."

"Lilac Skies?" This suggestion came from Owen.

"Too soft."

Owen tried again. "The four?"

"Creative." Sadie mocked. "We need a name that reflects our sound."

"What is our sound exactly?" Owen and Ash really didn't know what they were signing up for. After Sadie bombarded them after their performance and practically offered them both a sure fire spot in the band, they didn't hesitate to say yes. They were in no position to negotiate but it would be nice to know what it was they were supposed to be doing.

"Indie." Sadie said at the same time as Roxy said, "Rock."

Sadie's head whipped towards the girl. "What?"

Roxy crossed her arms over her chest. "You didn't really think I was going to have an indie pop band, did you?"

"Considering you hired me, yeah."

[ SADIE AGRON: Roxy and I never really spoke about the future of the band until we had one. Not to brag but I had the voice of a fucking angel. And they wanted me to what? Scream? Absolutely not. But this was my only chance so I said fuck it. ]

"We need a name that says fuck society, fuck everyone and everything. Like saying so fucking what to the world." Roxy declared as she matched around the room.

"So what?" Owen asked.

"Exactly."

"No. What if we were just 'So What'?" Owen clarified.

"So What." Sadie tested the name on her lips. She smiled. "That's not bad."

Roxy grimanced. "It's not good either."

At this rate, the band was never going to agree on anything. And they never did. The history books show that when it came to decisions, Roxy and Sadie took their corners and settled it. Owen and Ash were just happy to be there. Most of the time. "Listen we go on stage tomorrow. If you can think of a better name by then, we'll go for it."

"This isn't a democracy." Roxy scoffed. This was her band. Her band. She was not about to be overthrown by some ditzy small town Peggy Sue.

"Think you're going to lose?" Sadie challenged. Roxy took a glance at her other band mates. Owen was looking at the floor and Ash wasn't even listening. She threw her hands up in the air.

"Fine. So What! Whatever."

• • •

So What!'s debut performance was held at St. Apples Theatre pub in New York City. It was not a lavish establishment. The floor was constantly sticky, their equipment was held together with duct tape, and there was three drunks asleep at the bar. However, it so happens that the universe was on their side and this was exactly where they needed to be.

Roxy didn't come up with an alternative name by their set so they had no choice but to go on with Owen's suggestion. But Roxy made it a point to show how angry she was with the decision. The making of any good band, is hatred from the get-go.

[ ROXY DELMONICO: The thing about Sadie is she doesn't realise when she's being selfish. Without me she would've become and elementary school teacher and what do I get for pulling out of that hell hole? She takes my band, and she runs it to the fucking ground. ]

Of course, So What! didn't always hate each other. The first show was actually a hit. After nearly two years of working their asses off, trying to make ends meet as they chased their dreams, everything fell into place.

So What! performaned a song of Sadie's own choosing (of course). A song she has written herself about sacrificing the people you love for your dreams (wonder who that's about). Roxy mainly protested because Sadie had no right making decisions but she couldn't deny, as much as she hated the sob story, that it was a good song.

The band were allowed a set of three songs before the had to make room for the next band. The had two covers alongside Sadie's song.

When they finished their set, Sadie wasted no time to head outside for a smoke. Sadie loved the stage, it was her home but sometimes thoughts crept in and the jitters fueled her body. Roxy called her selfish for leaving the three of them to put their equipment away but Sadie felt like if she didn't leave, she'd have a panic attack. So, she ignored Roxy's remarks and pushed open the door. When she got outside she felt like she could breath again. She lit a cigarette and allowed each puff to calm her.

New York was never quiet. That's what made it so different from Pittsburgh. That's what made Sadie like it so much. She couldn't bear the silence.

"Smoking helps, you know." Sadie would've jumped at the voice if she wasn't so used to New York being unpredictable. She turned her head to the side and there smoking his own cigarette was a man who looked way to good to be sitting on the steps of a crappy pub.

"What?"

"Smoking. It helps with the raspiness. Granted it will fuck you up in other ways but hey at least you'll hit those bass notes." Sadie's eyes fell into slits. She wasn't sure if he was insulting her or not. The man continued. "That's what you were aiming for right? I tell you, you're no Joplin maybe a Belinda."

"I am not a Belinda."

"Then who are you?" The man stood to his feet and stood directly in front of Sadie. The question felt like a test. There was a glint in the man's eye. Sadie would've been scared if she wasn't deeply attracted.

Sadie blew a puff of smog in his face. He remained unbothered. "Sadie Agron."

"Sadie Agron." He repeated. He said it again with a smile. "I can work with Sadie Agron." Sadie couldn't help but smile with intrigue. She had no idea who he was but my my was he enchanting. "Sebastian North. I work for Inner City Records."

Sadie's eyes lit up but she tried to remain poised. "You do?"

The man nodded as he rolled on his heels with his hands in his pockets. When he didn't say anything after that, Sadie decided to be bold. "Are you going to offer me a job then?"

Sebastian's lips turned up at her boldness. He pursed his lips. "Well, your drummer needs to learn how to count a beat, someone needs to tell your rhythmist that this isn't a country folk band, your bassist lacks precision and you will need a voice lesson or two. But yes, I am offering you a job."

Sadie was speechless. She should've said no. Fuck him. What did he know? But after two years who was she to argue with the only man between her and fame. Sebastian offered her his card. In New York it was easy to get scammed but what did they have to lose?

When Sadie got inside she told the band all about Sebastian North and his offer. Roxy was furious that he suggested she had no precision but when it came down to whether or not they were going to give him a call, for once the vote was unanimous.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.4K 1.1K 38
All her life Aislinn has been known as the Dunne's youngest. After her brothers form a band with their friends and follow their dreams. Aislinn decid...
5.3K 190 7
❝ She's a woman in a dream, the one that makes you fall in love. ❞ ━━ ALWAYS THERE 🕊️ daisy jones and the six fem oc x eddie roundtree / eddie lovin...
77.6K 2.4K 34
"𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐧𝐠𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐝𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐠, 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐢 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐢 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐢 𝐥𝐨...
188K 3.9K 23
She will never be mine. _______ 2016 ©majestic