Conduit

By veelozada

When back-alley mechanic Elijah Garret is approached by the company who destroyed his family, he has to decid... More

Season List for Conduit
Ch. 1
Ch. 2
Ch. 3
Ch. 4
Ch. 5
Ch. 6
Ch. 7
Ch. 8
Ch. 10
Ch. 11
Ch. 12
Ch. 13
Ch. 14
Ch. 15
Ch. 16
Ch. 17
Ch. 18
Ch. 19
Ch. 20
Ch. 21
Ch. 22
Ch. 23
Ch. 24
Ch. 25
Ch. 26
Ch. 27
Ch. 28
Ch. 29
Ch. 30
Ch. 31
Ch. 32
Ch. 33
Ch. 34
Ch. 35
Ch. 36
🏳️‍🌈 PRIDE (LIMITED TIME): Read for a chance to win Coins

Ch. 9

371 39 3
By veelozada

A flash of light went off as a bullet fired from the android's weapon. The second I thought of dodging to the side, Victoria pulled me. And Reggie hurried in front of me.

"No!" I heard Frank's shout muffled through the sound of the incoming death. But it didn't reach me. With my head pressed into the nook of Victoria's neck, I stared at the blue carpet behind her, expecting to see the red spill and ruin the color.

That didn't happen. And I didn't feel pain, either.

"This should be reported as violence." Reggie's voice broke through the buzzing taking over my ears. I turned, seeing that he stood behind me, protecting me. He didn't move his legs, only his arm, and head. He turned his gaze to peer at the security androids in front of him; his hand slid into view, sticky with blue android fluids.

He was shot. He took a bullet for me. An actual bullet.

"What the fuck!" I quickly grabbed him as best as I could and turned him. In the center of his chest, leaking blue and sparking with electrical damage, was a bullet hole. I could make out the small piece of ammo but when I reached to grab it, it burned.

I pulled my hand back, hissing.

Model 757 stared at the gun in his hand before dropping it. "It is my assigned weapon," he said, looking back at us. "I was ordered to—"

"To shoot me if I didn't let Reggie leave with you?" I placed my hand on his chest, eyeing the androids. "Or did you mean to shoot him?"

The android didn't respond. He and the others with him took one step back. "It was our assigned weapon. This was not an act of violence."

"You've injured me," Reggie said. "And I had done nothing wrong."

Frank forced his way into the cubicle. He panicked as he looked at Reggie, then at me. When his gaze settled on Victoria, he pursed his lips. "Can you scan him? See if he's salvageable?"

She nodded, slowly pulling Reggie to the end of the room.

"I need to know if he's okay," I said to Victoria, then looked at Frank. "I need you to relay a message for me since I can't leave."

Frank blinked. "I... I was calling to let them know about the mix-up. My phone fell. Look," he pointed at his broken cell phone, "it's shattered. It's—"

"I was about to die, Frank," I hissed. "He could've shot me."

"I didn't know they were coming to shoot you," he hissed quietly.

"But you knew they were coming." I shook my head. "I made one request. One. Now, I don't even know why I'm here."

Frank sighed. "Elijah... there had to be a misunderstanding."

"Assigning guns to androids is not some misunderstanding. That was intentional." I ground my teeth. "So was convincing me to come here. I should've run," I looked back at Victoria, "we shouldn't be here."

She frowned, looking up at me. "We need to be here," she said quietly. "They need us."

"See!" Frank agreed.

Only he didn't know what he was agreeing to. Victoria was worried about the androids; that's why we were here. Humans and their mistakes? That wasn't her concern.

"Look at me," I said to him. "I need you to go up there and tell Miss Katherine and whoever else is in charge, that I will be in my small apartment. Oh, and he," I turned slightly to point at Reggie, "is coming with me."

"Prototypes aren't allowed—"

I growled. I didn't want to hear his excuses or his "by the book" rules. He needed to listen and understand me. "Reggie is officially under my care so I can repair him. And hopefully," I spun my fingers around my head, "undo the crazy shit y'all put him through."

"They can repair him," he whispered.

"Oh, yeah? After they destroyed him? Fuck that." I glanced back at Victoria, motioning her to follow. When she stood with Reggie, I looked back at Frank. "I'll be in my apartment. No one is to bother me. I don't want to hear some bullshit response for today."

Frank didn't say a word as we moved past him. Even as I hobbled by, he remained silent. I made sure to look at him once we were down the small hall. "Tell them—"

I had to think about it. What did I want him to say? I couldn't tell him to explain how I hated this company, and the government, and wished them well with the crumbling world, because I didn't wish them anything.

"Tell them to be ready when I schedule a meeting to discuss my plan of action to deal with all of this."

As I turned to walk away again, Frank quickly followed. "What's the plan? he asked.

I looked at him, cocking a brow. "They'll know when I do."

***

Forty-eight hours.

In forty-eight hours, I was reminded of how evil and manipulative Lyons indeed was. It made me wonder... how were they able to convince my family to join forces? Were there false promises made? Had they been good for the people in the beginning? I didn't know, and after stewing in my anger and frustrations for a few hours, I didn't care.

I spent days in that apartment. Days focused on Reggie's repair, having him connect with Victoria to ensure his computers were functional. I spent the time nursing my wounds, my bones, and the confusion grasping my heart.

I couldn't figure out Lyons' plans for the world. The weapons had to be intentional, but why? Were they looking for androids to kill androids? If that were the case, they'd fuel the conspiracy of an android war.

None of it felt right. Staring out the window of the massive building felt wrong. I should be home, helping those who needed me. Really needed me.

There had to be a way out of this prison fueled by lies.

As I sat to eat breakfast on the eleventh day, Victoria came out of the room to check on me. She looked over my leg, checking for pain. When I didn't look at her, she stood and tapped my shoulder. "Elijah."

With my chin resting in my hand, I looked up at her.

She frowned. "You aren't eating."

I shrugged. "You know I don't like oatmeal."

"You haven't made any food requests to the building, and it's been over a week," she said. "Are you intending to starve?"

"No," I scoffed, leaning against the island in the kitchen. "I'll call eventually. Just not now." I looked at the bowl of oatmeal in front of me, eyeing it with disgust. Victoria had tried to put banana and peanut butter in it to make me feel better, but that didn't help. Maybe it wasn't the food. Maybe it was me.

"I don't want to give them the time of day." Finally, I was honest with her. "They don't deserve it."

"Elijah, there are two big issues here that you are ignoring." Victoria pulled up the stool beside mine. "And I think you're forgetting that."

Chewing on my lip, I looked at her, and past her. Reggie had been in the apartment the entire time, patiently allowing us to work on him. Without the space for him, I'd pushed the couches in the corner of the living room to allow him some kind of comfort. Even if it wasn't physical, the mental support was definitely what he needed.

We locked eyes as he stood, and we smiled.

"Elijah," Victoria tapped my shoulder, "did you hear me?"

"I know what you're going to say." I focused on her, looking her in the eye. "There's a planet full of people, and the androids we depend on. Both need me." I reached for her hand and squeezed her fingers. "But who needs me more, Vicky? If I help Lyons, I'd fuel hatred for machines and put another bandage on an issue that we," I tapped my chest, "humans created by ourselves. But if I ignore this powerhouse company, not only would I put us in danger, I'd throw gasoline on the flame. Androids will be angry."

Reggie walked toward us. "We only want people to listen," he said.

Victoria nodded. "For the world to live and prosper, Elijah, the planet needs to be in unity—both machine and humans alike. If that doesn't happen, the world will die. And if humans die," she bit her lip until she frowned, "androids will, too."

I licked my lip. What she said was right; it was a revolving circle of life. Humans took the basic law of nature and added machines to the mix. For it to function how we hoped it would for hundreds of years, there needed cooperation. Hand holding. Love and care.

Closing my eyes, I slid my hands over my face. "And what am I supposed to do, Vicky?" I glanced at her through the slit between my fingers. "How am I supposed to care about both sides?"

She shrugged. "The way you always have. You helped those who couldn't afford the rates put on them by big companies. And you also cared about us," she placed her hand on her chest, above where a heart would be, "you made sure that we worked, despite the issues conflicting with our code."

That was what I'd done; for years. To maintain the stability of the world as my family had done. And I tried to do it the best I could. Maybe the back-alley life got to my head—all of the hiding and running from the law was a thrill. I couldn't be like that anymore. I was put here for a reason.

"Fine," I sighed. "Make a call to Frank and get him up here, please. He can help me with this email to Katherine."

"He's already coming," Reggie said, smiling still. "He's on the elevator as we speak."

My brows shot up. "You can do an area scan like that? Assembly models don't have that in their programming."

"Yeah." Victoria nodded. "I tweaked his programming yesterday and gave him the ability to do it."

I laughed. Shit, did she learn that from me? Was she paying attention every time I ran her repairs?

Rubbing my chin, I shook my head. "Good shit," I whispered. "Well, then, when he gets in here, I'll tell him to schedule a meeting."

A sense of relief came over me as the pieces fit together in my head; a connecting puzzle of a mystery bigger than myself. I knew what I had to do, but it needed to be done bigger, out loud, and to the crowds who needed to listen. I could be the voice of the androids, the voice of the people, and become the connecting bridge between humans and machines. That was the biggest problem; the lack of communication and understanding.

There wasn't an update that could fix that.

A knock came to do the door.

"He's here," Reggie said.

Nodding slowly, I stood and faced the door. I was ready. "I'll go and let him in and—

Victoria's hand quickly grabbed mine, stopping me. When I turned and looked at her, she said, "He isn't alone."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 290 18
*Original book, description and plans by Littlewolf65* The year is 3021. And the world has become a technological utopia. Technology has advanced far...
600 144 14
*UPDATES EVERY FRIDAY AT 9 PM PST* 3.8 billion dollars. That how much it had cost Billionaire Lewis Bronson to create his daughter. 3.8 billion, and...
488 101 14
Empire. At the end only Empire remains. No matter how many times you rebel Empire remains. No matter how many times you fight for your democratic Emp...
30.4K 1K 11
In laboratories across the world A.I's or artificial intelligence units are being made in large numbers, with one main unit as the controlling force...