For Fox's Sake (#3, Completed)

By IvetoR

(𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐑𝐒𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 π«π¨π¦πšπ§πœπžπŸ”ž) As the daughter of the Windcrest pack's Alpha, Natalia Macalis... More

Intro
1. 3 years earlier
2. Home
3. You can run but you can't hide
4. Even in the darkness, there is light
5. Memories
6. Lili be damned
7. Don't do anything stupid
8. Playing with fire
9. Lies, Lies, Lies 🌢️
10. Well, fuck! 🌢️
11. Girl on a mission 🌢️
12. A whole new world 🌢️🌢️
13. Touch her and I'll end you
14. Think about it
15. Family
16. Curve ball
17. Burning desires 🌢️
18. Carnal desires 🌢️🌢️
19. Demons, deals, and regrets
20. Rules of the game
21. Pleasure and pain 🌢️🌢️
22. Moments to Remember 🌢️🌢️
23. Good vibrations 🌢️🌢️
24. Omega 🌢️
25. Dragonfly
26. Lily
27. Can you handle it?
28. Blame it on the spice 🌢️
29. Trust and exploration 🌢️🌢️
30. Mine 🌢️🌢️🌢️
31. Devil's in the details
32. No coincidences 🌢️🌢️
33. Sacrifice
34. Disconnected
35. The choices we make
36. The end of hope
37. Feral
39. Hero
EPILOGUE 🌢️🌢️🌢️🌢️

38. Marshmallow

3K 213 29
By IvetoR

 JAMES

Natalia's wolf let out a roar that echoed through the quiet forest. Teeth bared and claws outstretched, Ciara looked every bit the primal beast. But somewhere under that wild rage was my stubborn, fiery mate... I just had to get through to her.

"Natalia," her name tore from my throat, raw and desperate, "you have to fight it."

Ciara slammed into me, sending me stumbling back, but I held my ground. I had to. For her. My every instinct screamed at me to hold on to her, to fight for her, to reach her.

"I'm not leaving you." My cry was drowned in snarls and roars, yet the emotion was clear. Desperation. Fear. Love.

Claws raked through my clothes, biting into the flesh beneath. The sharp sting of pain was immediate, but it was irrelevant; the blood staining my shirt, insignificant.

"Fight, little wolf." I pushed on. "Don't let this shit win. You hear me? You're stronger than this, stronger than him... I believe in you. In us. Always."

It was a plea, a declaration, my mind straining to break through while her blows rained down relentlessly. Still, the attacks were also reassurance—it meant she was here, alive. And I would bring her back.

My back slammed into the rough bark of a tree as Ciara snarled. She aimed to cause damage while I barely held her off with my shifter strength.

"You are Natalia Macalister," I rasped, my voice hoarse yet unwavering. "My little wolf. My mate. You're the most stubborn woman I know. You never back down from anything, so don't you dare back down from this."

Every word was a tether trying to pull her back. "Damn it, Lili. Come back to me so I can tell you how much I fucking need you. How completely and utterly you've changed everything. Changed me."

I reached out, letting my hand graze her fur. Pain flared up my arm as Ciara bit down, but I didn't flinch away. Instead, I locked my gaze onto hers, searching for my mate behind the beast.

"Your smile makes me believe I can be whole again. When you look at me, all the broken parts feel mended." My breath hitched with the intensity of my emotions, and my fingers dug deeper into Ciara's fur, my hand shaking with the effort. "You are everything I ever dreamed of, everything I never knew I wanted. The only person I've ever loved. Do you hear me?... I'm lost without you."

Blood trailed down my arm, but I didn't care. I was an Alpha—I had fought bigger and badder than this, but none of those battles mattered as much as this one.

"I love you, little wolf," I confessed, raw emotion bleeding into every word, every syllable. "And I won't abandon you. I won't run. I won't hide."

It was a vow. A vow I intended to keep. Even if it was the last thing I ever did.

"No matter how hard you push, I'm not going anywhere." It didn't matter if I had to bleed for it. "I won't leave you alone in this fight. I won't let you lose yourself to this."

Yet, there was nothing. 

None of my words or promises made a difference. Ciara's feral eyes didn't flicker with even a drop of humanity besides them. 

For the first time, fear and uncertainty gripped me, but I shoved them aside. I had to be strong because I wasn't just fighting for my life, I was fighting for hers.

"Come back to me, Natalia." Her name was a desperate plea. "Please. I need you."

Suddenly, Ciara lunged, her teeth sinking into my shoulder. I was knocked off balance, crashing to the ground with her weight on top of me. Pain exploded where she had bitten me, but I forced it to the back of my mind. My focus narrowed down to one single thing—to bring her back, and the pain was just a distraction.

It was all or nothing now... and so far, I couldn't get through to her, no matter what I did or said.

There was still one final thing I hoped would work. My last hope.

Through the pain, I mustered all the strength I had left. Ciara was bearing down on me, her gaze wild and lost, her claws at my throat. But I also knew that Natalia was there, trapped and scared and fighting to break free. My heart ached, not from the physical pain that the wolf was inflicting on me, but from the torment that my mate was enduring. I had to act.

"I submit, Ciara," I gasped out. I let my body relax beneath her, my hands dropping away from her arms to fall limp at my sides. My eyes closed halfway, showing her my submission, my surrender.

For a moment my mate's wolf went still, the fight bleeding out of her, hesitation flickering in her gaze.

It was still Ciara in control, but there was a glimmer of Natalia, a spark of recognition that told me my words were having an effect. I breathed a sigh of relief, joy and hope and love welling in my chest because she was back—

But it was short-lived as the wolf bore down on me again, fully consumed by frenzy. The next moment blurred—a roar, a flash of teeth, searing pain once more. 

All I could do was force out the one word that was ours. That could reach through to her. "Marshmallow."

The growling ceased instantly. Ciara flinched, as if struck by a physical blow, and her grip on me slackened. I saw the conflict in her while my mate and her wolf fought the feralness.

For a moment, everything was silent. The ferocity in the wolf's eyes softened, the snarl on her lips eased into a frown of confusion. Natalia was breaking through, but it was still not enough.

"I love you, little wolf." I murmured.

Ciara's claws gradually withdrew from my skin and I felt the warm trickle of blood, the sting as oxygen reached the fresh wounds. But that pain was grounding.

"Come back to me, Lili." The desperation lingered in the air, heavy and palpable, even as my words faded. "I know you're in there. I need you to fight. For us. Come back so that I can love you and worship you the way I always should have."

With a final shuddering growl, Ciara's body convulsed, every muscle rippling under her coarse fur. I held my breath, feeling the thud of my heart reverberate against my ribcage as I witnessed Ciara's wild gaze melt away to be replaced by confusion and a hint of the familiar blue I knew so well.

Time seemed to stand still, each second an eternity, as her form started to shift. Clawed paws retracting into slender fingers, fur melting into skin. I had seen shifters change a million times in my life, but it had never been this beautiful in its essence. This was not just any shift—it was my mate returning to me.

Her body morphed until she was there again. Not the wolf, not Ciara, but Natalia. Naked and trembling in my arms, her breaths shallow and rapid.

"James." She breathed out my name, raspy and weak, yet it was the most beautiful sound I had ever heard.

Every part of me vibrated with energy as the warmth of our mate bond pulsated from her and poured into me. It was faint, weaker than the roaring flame it had been before, but it was there—a sign of her returning strength, a glimmer of hope after what she had just been through.

"You came back to me, little wolf." The emotions threatened to choke me.

"The serum..." she whispered. "He injected me with something. I couldn't fight it, James. I'm so sorry."

Pulling her closer, I pressed my lips into her hair, letting her scent fill my senses. "You've nothing to apologise for, Lili. Nothing at all."

"I could have hurt you." She shuddered while her fingers traced the healing wounds that her wolf had inflicted. "I almost..."

"Shh." I cupped her face, forcing her to meet my gaze. "You would never hurt me. Do you understand?"

My mate curled up against me, lashes fluttering closed as she settled there. Her breath warmed my chest, triggering an overwhelming sense of relief. It swept away the chilling fear and dread that had taken hold inside me. The terror of nearly losing her, the utter devastation that had consumed me—it all evaporated, replaced only by gratitude that she was here.

Her bare skin was cold under my palms, goosebumps stippling her arms. I eased off my tattered jacket, wrapping it gently around her naked form, while my attention remained fixed on her, tracing the lines of her face, taking in the woman who was my life.

"You saved me." She looked up as she placed her hand on my chest.

A jolt of electricity rushed through my body at her touch as she sucked in a startled breath. Our bond reignited in that instant, and along it came a surge of elation, love, and relief so potent my knees nearly buckled. A shaky smile spread across her face before it dissolved into laughter. "And I can feel you again."

Her words hit me like a bolt of lightning, bright and electrifying. They were a taste of euphoria, a tangible proof that she was back. My mate was back, her Omega power humming through our bond. It was a sensation I hadn't realised I'd missed so much until it flooded back in.

With my arm around her, I pressed her closer to me. My lips brushed against hers, more a breath than a kiss. She gasped against me before I kissed her deeper, like a man gasping for air after nearly drowning, pouring everything into that kiss—my fear of nearly losing her, my relief at having her back, my absolute bone-deep love for this woman. I needed to feel her, to reassure myself that she was here, that she was real.

I pulled away only to shower her face with kisses, pressing my lips to her forehead, her cheeks, her nose, relearning the contours of her features, finally resting my forehead against hers. As much as I needed to kiss her, she was still recovering.

"You're back," I breathed, joy bubbling up inside me. 

She was here with me, her soul intricately braided with mine once more. My thumb traced her cheek, reluctant to stop touching her, before I scooped her into my arms, while the world faded away, leaving only us.

Until the tender moment was ruined by the sound of approaching footsteps. Every protective instinct within me roared to life. Carefully, I drew Natalia to her feet, steadying her weakened body against mine. I couldn't bear to let go, but I eased her behind the shield of my back, my entire body coiled and braced for attack.

"Easy, it's just us." Max emerged with Rai at his side, a bruised Ronan in tow. "We heard a commotion and gave chase. Found this bastard trying to sneak away."

The Councillor's face paled the moment he noticed my mate in her human form. "Ho— how is that even possible?"

At the sight of him, red flooded my vision, while Aron pushed to the surface, both of us consumed by rage. Before I knew it, my claws were at Ronan's neck, slamming him back against a tree with enough force to crack bark.

"Give me one reason why I shouldn't rip out your spine," I snarled, pressing my claws deeper until pinpricks of blood welled up. The smell of it  only fuelled our bloodlust.

Ronan's eyes bulged as my hand closed around his throat. He grasped at my wrist, his fingernails digging into my skin as he struggled for air. His legs kicked weakly in a futile attempt to push himself free.

"I- I," he choked out. Music to my ears.

I tightened my hold, fury coursing through me as my fox growled and snapped inside me, demanding vengeance. The Councillor's face turned red, then purple. His mouth opened and closed soundlessly like a fish gasping on land.

"James!" Natalia's voice cut through the haze. I trembled with restraint, Aron railing against it.

Ronan's struggles grew weaker as oxygen deprivation set in. His bloodshot eyes stared at me in animal panic. I held him a moment longer, just shy of losing consciousness, before roughly releasing my grip.

"You should not have touched her," I growled. My jaw ached from the effort of holding back the full force of my anger, all while Aron roared to be let loose, to tear out the tiger shifter for daring to harm our mate.

The Councillor collapsed onto the ground, doubling over and sucking in huge gulps of air. I stood over him, hands clenched into fists, ready to strike once more if he made any move against me.

The message was clear: he got off easy this time. If he ever went near Natalia again, I was not going to be so merciful. Her touch calmed my fury, but nothing could extinguish the blazing need to end him for harming her. To make him suffer as she had suffered.

Hauling Ronan up by his bloodied shirt, I pulled him at eye level. "You failed, Tiberius. You're done."

I flung him down in disgust, nostrils flared with each heaving breath. 

"You have no proof." The bastard dared to say. He clearly had a death wish. "And now, with your Omega out of commission, you have no way of reversing what's been done."

"Enough." Natalia's soft command cut through his gloating. She lifted her head from my chest, eyes glowing with power.

The silvery tendrils of our bond were aglow, pulsing with renewed strength. I stared at her in wonder, joy and pride warring within me.

"We might not have the proof yet, Councillor," my mate gave Ronan a steely smile, "but now that my abilities are back, thanks to your interference, I am sure all the shifters you've harmed will be more than happy to testify against you."

The colour on his face drained as the realisation of her words sank in.

My little wolf pulled away from my embrace and moved closer to him before a satisfying crunch broke the silence as her fist connected with the tiger shifter's jaw. His head jerked back, surprise flashing across his face.

He was going to heal, he was a shifter after all, but sight brought an unexpected surge of pride and a touch of amusement, nonetheless. My usually gentle, kind mate just decked the Councillor, her fierce side a sight to behold.

"That's for thinking you could take me out, and for putting my mate's life in danger." She said before she turned to move closer back to me. "I guess there might still be some aftereffects of that feral serum." A playful smirk curled on her lips, her expression a mix of satisfaction and amusement. 

But then, her eyes fluttered shut, a grimace creasing her face. Her legs trembled, and I held her tighter, feeling her lean into me for support. "Damn," she murmured, her voice shaky but tinged with laughter. "That felt good. But, goddess, it hurts."

Fuck, I had missed her.

My hand wrapped around her, bringing it closer to my lips so that I could brush a kiss over her knuckles. "I've got you, mate."

Nothing could ruin the happiness of having her in my arms, not even the way Ronan glared at us, hatred etched into every line of his face. His tiger prowled beneath the surface, but the Councillor made no move to attack or fight us.

"You haven't won," he spat. "You have no idea what's coming for you."

I bared my teeth in a snarl. "Is that a threat?"

"A warning." His lips twisted into a sneer. "You'll never see it coming, you arrogant fool. You and that Omega of yours. Even if it is not me, there will be someone else. And by the time you realise it, it'll be too late."

Anger surged, a hot, living thing. My hands twitched, aching to feel his bones break. The fact he dared threaten my mate once more twisted my vision red, every fibre demanding his blood.

Yet Natalia's gentle touch tempered my lethal intent. Her hand curled into my shirt, fingers brushing against my skin, while her calm flooded me through our bond.

"Don't kill him. We need him to find the remaining serums and all the shifters he has hurt. And I'm sure their families will want him to answer them as well."

I gritted my teeth, loathing the thought of letting this bastard live; yet she was right.

"My mate showed you mercy today." I grabbed a fistful of Ronan's shirt, relishing his wince as I slammed him against a tree trunk. "But if you so much as look at her again, I'll make sure they won't find enough of you left to identify."

I squeezed harder, face inches from his, fuelled by the need to hurt him for hurting her.

"He's not worth it," she said, placing a hand on my arm. With effort, I released him, but not before raking my claws down his chest in warning. Natalia could handle herself, but my fox needed to mark him, to make it clear no one touches our mate.

Ronan's nostrils flared, but he remained silent.

"Take him to the holding cell at the skulk," I told my Betas. "Keep him under constant watch until we get him to the Council tomorrow."

"With pleasure." Rai gripped the Councillor's arm, causing him to sneer, but he allowed her to escort him away.

My body tensed as Natalia and I watched the two disappear, my arms tightening protectively around her trembling form. The bond between us hummed with energy, a soothing reverberation as she sunk further into me, holding onto the comfort I pushed through out connection.

Max cleared his throat, jarring me back to reality. "I'm glad you were able to break through to her. We were worried we'd be fighting two Alphas instead of one."

"Never." I pressed a kiss to her temple. "Our bond is stronger than anyone or anything that tries to turn us against each other."

"Damn right." My Beta nodded before heading off with Rai and Ronan, leaving me alone with my mate.

Her face was pale and drawn, dark circles marring the skin beneath her eyes. Guilt twisted my gut as I gathered her close, my chest heaving with regret for not being able to keep her safe.

"I'm so sorry I couldn't protect you," I whispered, brushing another kiss over her hair.

"You came for me," she said softly, looking up at me with those blue eyes filled with resilience. "You didn't give up on me. That's all that matters."

I clutched her tightly to my chest, holding back the wave of emotions that swelled in my throat. Her warmth enveloped me, soothing wounds that cut deeper than flesh as I buried my face in her hair, breathing her in.

She was right—in the end, that's all that mattered. Just like she had saved me with Kerrin. Like we would always save each other.

**********************

Ahhhhh, I can't believe that we've reached the penultimate chapter of James and Nat's story.

I know it took me longer to post this chapter but I hope you'll forgive me because every time I tried to edit it, I found myself adding more and more, and I absolutely love every single moment that we got to see through James' eyes.

Do you think Nat can forgive him now? Will she? I mean, he didn't exactly grovel and beg, but damn it, that was still pretty emotional. 😭

The last chapter will be up this weekend (I hope, as I am on holiday with the family atm) and then the epilogue next week, and then it will be a wrap for For Fox's Sake. It's funny that I will be finishing it in the same place where I first started Stronger as One three years. 😀

Can't wait to hear what you all thought of this chapter. 

Love,
Ina xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3K 412 14
True love. Mates. The very backbone of the werewolf species. But what happens when your Alpha mate rejects you? --------- Eden Cross is a Beta wo...
2M 95.5K 78
(𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐑𝐒𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 π«π¨π¦πšπ§πœπžπŸ”ž) Three mates. One destiny. A world on the brink of destruction. At 27, Riley thought she knew who she w...
5.2K 338 34
ʙᴏᴏᴋ ᴏɴᴇ (+18) Calandra Asterin has forsaken her royal fae heritage, escaping an arranged marriage and seeks refuge in the sanctuary of Northern Land...
1.1M 9.3K 10
Hayley's on the run from a stalker who's determined to make her pay. When she saves the life of the local Alpha, exposing her new location in the pro...