So You Might be Soulless

Oleh BlueStarrySky1

A cynical Necromancer with a terrible secret. An optimistic Crown Prince crumbling under the pressure. A tal... Lebih Banyak

GLOSSARY
0|| Dedication
1|| No name
2|| Reject
3|| Mutant
4|| Goldenbean
5|| Meeting
6|| Vision
7|| Fjardka
8|| Prince
9|| Banquet
10|| Believe
11|| Your Highness
12|| Second
13|| Leave
14|| Baking
15|| Challenge
16|| Curse
17|| Hate
18|| Khasia
19|| Damned Reject
20|| Kyler
21|| Wooden Stick
22|| Darkness
23|| Sculpture
24|| Indoctrinated
25|| Instincts
26|| Perfect
27|| Look
28|| Bragging
29|| Red bracelet
30|| Laundry
31|| Meeting
33|| Imperial
34|| Sick
35|| Torturous
36|| Dress
37|| The Truth

32|| Petals

71 5 60
Oleh BlueStarrySky1

Caspian was confused, a rarity for him.

He did not like the feeling of being kept in the dark one bit. It made him less able to protect his brother if he was susceptible to an unknown attack.

And seeing Sebastian duck his head to whisper something to Diya made him both curious and angry.

He didn't trust the Necromancer. She had eyes like a quicksilver fox who would always evade a trap any hunter set, and spoke as if the entire conversation had been planned out before it had begun.

Plus, he didn't know her reasons for agreeing to be an Imperial bodyguard.

Surely it couldn't just be because she wanted to escape the Elshers. With her wiles, she could have easily sweet-talked any high-ranking Noble into helping, or even run away. Instead, she'd chosen to latch on to the Imperials like a leech.

This time, I won't let anyone hurt my family. He vowed, not missing how Sebastian's eyes darted to the door. I can't fail them again.

After the meeting was over, he decided to set Sebastian a few hours of simple Magic Theory and then head down to the Training Grounds. General Carnell kept requesting for new wooden swords, and he wanted to know whether the recruits were using or eating them.

As per usual, there were at least three guards trailing behind him, keeping their dutiful eyes down and only speaking when they were spoken to- which made small talk an absolute nightmare. Not that Caspian himself was one for idle chatter, but he would have liked to have the option.

He stopped by a rosebush and frowned, pointing with his walking stick at a noticeable slash through it which damaged many delicate petals that were fluttering in the breeze. "What happened here?"

"We're not entirely sure, Your Highness." Came the familiar, crisp voice. "Last night, the branch of the tree snapped- I presume due to rot from age."

"Nothing in the Imperial gardens can rot." Caspian pulled a broken rosehead and crushed it in his palms until his hands were stained with pink. "And this branch would not have collapsed without reason. Unless you're suggesting we have to watch out for invisible assassins now?"

"If that is what you believe, Your Highness, then it could be true."

"It was a joke, Gerald."

"An excellent one, Your Highness."

Caspian let out a long-suffering sigh and closed his eyes, imagining that he was shutting out the outside world. He grappled for the ancient power residing in his core and syphoned a small amount.

A soft yellow light emitted from his palms and spread to the tips of his fingers, lifting the rosy tinge into a cloud. His lips parted to whisper the ancient word and a flurry of images attacked his mind.

Caspian was staring at the sky littered with pinpricks of glittering silver. A gentle breeze rustled his sides, but he couldn't feel it- couldn't feel anything but the faint knowledge that he was existing.

Then, he saw it.

A spark of blackness, barely discernible to the untrained eye. Black and purple energy rippled across the tree and cracked the branch, causing it to collapse on him.

Caspian gasped, his golden eyes flashed and made them briefly look like pools of melted gold. "Reject."

**

Diya was recalling the joyous news she'd received at the meeting to a tearful Kyler when she saw the Second Prince limp his way down to the field. A terrifying look spayed across his face made her take a few steps back.

"Oh dear," she whispered. "It seems my cover has been blown." This wasn't supposed to happen until after the trial.

Kyler stood in front of her, shoulders dropped in a relaxed stance. "Not if I can help it."

"Oh no, what the devil are you planning?"

"Just follow Plan M and we should be good."

"The hell was Plan M? We don't have that! We were banned from schemes after Mother heard Plan F!"

"Then just follow my lead," Kyler hissed and raised his hands in a gesture of false peaceful surrender.

"Following your lead is how we nearly died last time." Diya couldn't resist having the last word as the Second Prince approached.

She dropped down in a respectful bow, but was pulled up by her collar to face an irate Imperial.

"You!" Caspian roared, spittle flying in her face, cane discarded on the side. "How dare you?"

Diya's teeth rattled in her mouth and she flung a blind shadow in his face, throwing him off balance enough for her to wriggle out of his grasp. She landed on the ground in an undignified heap, but managed to push herself up and wipe the spit away.

"Your Highness," she said in a calm tone, even though her anger bubbled like a hot volcano ready to explode. "May you elaborate on what atrocity I have committed?"

"Yes." Kyler stepped in with a glare that could reduce a lesser being to ashes. "Please enlighten us both on what Diya has done, and perhaps we can come to some sort of agreement?"

Ignoring him entirely, Caspian focused on Diya. "I know it was you who broke the tree branch last night. You damaged the roses- they're Mother and Father's favourite."

Diya nodded and spoke quietly, "If it is about that, then I will gladly have my pay deducted to replace–"

"No! It's not that." Caspian summoned swirling circles of a deep blue that flickered and crackled with energy. "I've only seen the type of magic used once before- by demons."

Beside her, Kyler let out a long breath and pinched the bridge of his nose. Diya couldn't bear to see the knowing what have you done? look on his face.

"That was me, Your Highness." Kyler smirked and stepped back, darkness swirling at his fingertips.

With a jolt, Diya remembered Plan M and her heart tried to claw its way out of her ribs. No, no! You idiot you can't–

Kyler gave Diya a subtle wink and snapped his fingers. His disguise melted away like a frozen pond at the start of spring, revealing his usual luscious waves and startling blue eyes. Black skeins of darkness stood out from his skin- the mark of a demon.

I just got you back. Diya thought, mustering the courage to mask her emotions with outrage. Don't make me lose you again.

Taking a deep breath, she forced her tone to be full of anger as she summoned a wave of shadows to her side. "What have you done with my brother? Oh you foul demon with terrible hair!"

He gave a death stare that was not faked. "Your brother is quite safe, Reject Necromancer. It was pathetically easy to fool you into thinking I was him! Just one more day and I would have–"

With a ferocious cry, Diya charged and used her powers to propel her forwards. She whispered a quick apology, then swung with her fist to punch him on the side of his face. Kyler roared and pushed her back, causing her to crash into the Second Prince.

"I'll be back someday!" He promised and disappeared in a inky, swirling column, leaving nothing but a single black petal to show his presence.

Caspian shoved Diya away and clambered to his feet. His features contorted into a grimace as he stepped on his bad leg, but he didn't dare falter. Picking up the petal, he snarled, "Kyler."

Wow, my brother's famous. Diya groaned and made a show of feebly stirring. She pressed a hand to her head and squinted at the Second Prince's back. "What's going on?"

Caspian's shoulders trembled with barely leashed rage, but he managed to force his tone to be calm and controlled. "It seems I owe you an apology, Lady Diya. I believed you had been the one to set the curse on the tree, but it seems to have been the demon impersonating your brother."

"What?" Diya breathed out and tried to rearrange her facial features into the look of horror most people had when hearing distressing news. "I- no, no that can't be! That- that would mean my brother–" She pressed her fingers to her lips and tested out a choked sob.

It seemed to have worked because everyone around seemed to soften and murmur amongst themselves, shooting glances of not exactly sympathy, but more pity.

"I always knew there was somefink fishy about him! Didn't I tell you, Dave?"

"A demon? At the palace too!"

"I recall you gushing about his skills–"

"Shut up Dave!"

"How did he breach the security?"

"Are we under attack?"

"Enough!" Caspian called, commanding the area much like his mother. Instantly, the chatter died down and expectant eyes turned to him. He cleared his throat and picked up his cane. "There will be no more talk of this until we get more information. For now, I want you to train yourselves harder in order to recognise such a dangerous threat more quickly. Nobody is to be blamed for this as nobody noticed the demon in time, so I will hear nothing more about this."

"Yes, Your Highness." The recruits chanted in sync.

"And you, Lady Diya." Caspian turned with a snarl. "Get yourself checked in the Medical Unit. I think your irrational behaviour might be caused by a Thought Infection from the demon. I want nothing getting in the way of my brother's protection, you understand?"

"Crystal, Your Highness." Diya bowed to hide the blooming smile. Plan M was a success, but at what cost?

************************

Qotc: 

1. Thoughts on Plan M?

2. Think Kyler was being stupid? 

I hope you guys liked it!

Stay safe and thanks for reading :)

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

98 68 23
∞ Sequel to The prince of trickery ∞ " Be careful with him, tricksters can't be trusted" " I'm well aware of that " The Prince of Trickery... We...
8.4K 131 37
You are Aya's sister. Your older than her by a few years. After a few twists and turns, you meet a blonde haired boy and his sister, a rich couple ta...
30.4K 1.2K 28
Inure: (v.) To accustom to accept something undesirable, evil, or painful. An other worldly girl is reincarnated as Queen Estella de Royalis, the vil...
39.4K 1.4K 29
Growing up as a typical college student at Mystica Elementa High, Quinn Emerald Naveen's life was turned upside down by an unbelievable incident. Her...